Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series, a prequel where players take control of augmented security officer Adam Jensen, and investigate attacks against Sarif Industries, a leader in augmentation technology.

Is the pacifist achievement glitched ?

left4doof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By left4doof

I've heard a bunch of people say that they didn't kill anyone and weren't awarded the 100g . What's up with that ?

DEMONOLOGY_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By DEMONOLOGY_24

maybe they were framed for murder?
    groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By groin
    ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By ventilaator
    @OtakuGamer said:

If you are using the tranquilizer rifle, make sure that the people who you shot with that gun with are sleeping because sometimes they die instead of going to sleep.

What. How does that even work.
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Ventilaator said:
    @OtakuGamer said:

If you are using the tranquilizer rifle, make sure that the people who you shot with that gun with are sleeping because sometimes they die instead of going to sleep.

Some enemies in the game have weak hearts and they don't take well to large amounts of strong sedatives, you know. It's called "realism".
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Romination
    @Ghostiet said:
    @Ventilaator said:
    @OtakuGamer said:

Some enemies in the game have weak hearts and they don't take well to large amounts of strong sedatives, you know. It's called "realism".

that's totally bitchin. 

But yeah, annoying to people who want to not kill anyone.
    groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By groin

@Ghostiet said:

@Ventilaator said:
    @OtakuGamer said:

The effect of a tranq dart seems random to me. I shot and killed a dude with it, reloaded a save then shot the same dude again and he survived.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Grissefar

Does it tell you how many people you've killed along the way? I remember having some nasty surprises in MGS4 while trying to get the Big Boss Emblem, where I had to replay whole chapters because I had apparantly killed somebody somehow, which it fortunately told me at the end of chapter summary.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Wow. I'm glad I only use the stun gun.

Balex1908

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Balex1908

You also wont get it  if you hacked a turret, which then kills someone.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JoeyRavn

According to one of the mods in the Eidos forums, it's not a bug, but *gasp!* an end-user problem. It seems you're hitting them in the head with the tranq dart. A projectile at that speed obviously kills them. Come to think of it, the mods and dev representatives in the Eidos forums rarely recognize a flaw in the game. It's always the player who's to blame. Dicks.

Make sure the people you sedate with the tranq rifle are knocked out (ZZZ), both when you shoot them and when they fall. Maybe the game has some issues recognizing the ragdoll collisions, interpreting they hit the floor much harder than they actually did, so it kills the NPC. I've heard many people complaining about "killing" the sedated NPC by moving them to hide the bodies...

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DougQuaid

Wait.. so how do you know if they're dead or just knocked out?

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @DougQuaid: The icon on there corpse will be a skull if they are dead, or ZZZ if they are knocked out.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7
    deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@JoeyRavn said:

According to one of the mods in the Eidos forums, it's not a bug, but *gasp!* an end-user problem. It seems you're hitting them in the head with the tranq dart. A projectile at that speed obviously kills them. 

I actually think that's awesome, though had I been trying to get that achievement, I imagine that I would find it quite a bit less awesome.
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @DougQuaid said:
    Wait.. so how do you know if they're dead or just knocked out?
    When you go up to them to take their items there is a ZZZ symbol or a skull symbol next to one of the options.
    mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By mfpantst

all this talk makes me glad I 'tell' people in the game I'm a pacifist, but when the rubber hits the road, kill everyone I can.

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By krazy_kyle

The tranquilizer can sometimes kill, same with the stun gun. Just keep away from them, they are for pussies anyway, just beat them down >:D
    Garfield518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Garfield518

I played through the entire game with only the Tranq (and getting plenty of headshots with it) and Stun Gun, got the achievement, and never had the issue of either of them accidentally killing someone.

zameer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By zameer

You also won't get it if you killed anyone at the very start of the game (before you get augmented).

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @zameer said:
    You also won't get it if you killed anyone at the very start of the game (before you get augmented).
    Yes, This screwed me over the first time. 

@JoeyRavn said:

According to one of the mods in the Eidos forums, it's not a bug, but *gasp!* an end-user problem. It seems you're hitting them in the head with the tranq dart. A projectile at that speed obviously kills them. Come to think of it, the mods and dev representatives in the Eidos forums rarely recognize a flaw in the game. It's always the player who's to blame. Dicks.

Make sure the people you sedate with the tranq rifle are knocked out (ZZZ), both when you shoot them and when they fall. Maybe the game has some issues recognizing the ragdoll collisions, interpreting they hit the floor much harder than they actually did, so it kills the NPC. I've heard many people complaining about "killing" the sedated NPC by moving them to hide the bodies...

Your insinuations are unwarranted. If you're killing people with the tranq rifle, it is YOUR fault. Headshots with it kill people. Shoot someone from 2 feet away, it'll like kill them too. Physics, dude. 

On my second playthrough I got the achievement. I made sure not to kill anyone pre-aug and afterward, only shot people in the lower back, the ass, the leg, or the arm. Stay away from the head and you'll be fine.
    wealllikepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22  Edited By wealllikepie

This is a problrm I had, and it was specifically in the last boss fight. SPOILER: you have to knock out the women hooked up to the computer instead of killing them. You can use a PEPS or anything else, but that's what did it for me. Hope this helps :)

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hoossy

I like killing people with tranq darts... 

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By nail1080

Who cares it's just a useless achievement, just have fun with the game

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#25  Edited By donutfever

Don't hacks turrets/robots to attack enemies, also.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By Vinny_Says

The old man who gets shot in his apartment asks you to kill him with morphine. Don't do that.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Tennmuerti

@nail1080 said:

This is one of those achievements that are kind of beyond simple achievements. It's simultaneously a games biggest chalange and the philosophy of playing the game as well as design.

That's why people care about this one so much.

@wealllikepie: dude .... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK spoiler tag functionality exists on this site for a reason, when people are scanning quickly through replies that can still be seen.

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By nail1080
    @Tennmuerti said:

@nail1080 said:

This is one of those achievements that are kind of beyond simple achievements. It's simultaneously a games biggest chalange and the philosophy of playing the game as well as design.

Yeah so back in the day when people did it in Deus Ex 1 or cleared a zelda game with only 3 hearts it was totally pointless as they didn't get any .... er...points... those guys must have been crazy or something.....or maybe they just wanted a fun challenge.....
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Tennmuerti

@nail1080 said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@nail1080 said:

Yeah so back in the day when people did it in Deus Ex 1 or cleared a zelda game with only 3 hearts it was totally pointless as they didn't get any .... er...points... those guys must have been crazy or something.....or maybe they just wanted a fun challenge.....

Not sure what you're trying to say. This seems to be supporting my point. It's a cool challenge for people to do, just like the ones you mentioned.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By Marz

I killed someone with a tranquilizer gun.   Then i just didn't care about the achievement anymore.  

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By mracoon

I've been playing no kills so far but after hearing how much chance there is involved I'm not going to bother. I'll continue to play stealthily but it's not worth the aggro of completing the game and not unlocking the achievement.

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By Floppypants

I painstakingly crawled my way through the game going for the Pacifist and the No Alarms trophies and was ultimately awarded neither.   I have no idea how or when I killed anyone or set off an alarm.  It soured my experience of an otherwise great game.  Eidos knew people would play through the game with those achievements in mind, yet they put nothing in the game to communicate to players kill counts or alarm counts.

@KingWilly said:

Your insinuations are unwarranted. If you're killing people with the tranq rifle, it is YOUR fault. Headshots with it kill people. Shoot someone from 2 feet away, it'll like kill them too. Physics, dude.

Deus Ex is a game where I can unload a clip of armor penetrating bullets into a guard's chest and he won't even flinch, let alone die.  If tranquilizer headshots are killing people, it's a bug.  If Eidos wanted to model realistic tranquilizer dart physics, the majority of the guards in the game would be completely immune to them since they're wearing thick armor and helmets.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b45500a95f79
    deactivated-5b45500a95f79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes it's the way they fall.  I got the pacifism achievement my first time through on give me deus ex, i probably got it because i was being to careful

HotSauceMagik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HotSauceMagik

Its a question of lack of information on Eidos's part.  Its fine if shooting a tranq to the head will kill, but you should be warned through some means, maybe by Sariff when he initially gives it to you, he warns that headshots/shooting too close can kill.  Simple solution.  Eidos would look a lot better if they just admitted it and maybe patched it in, though I suppose they'd have to record new voice acting...which obvioustly won't happen. 

Oh well 

The More You Know....!

wealllikepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35  Edited By wealllikepie

@Tennmuerti: lol sorry i was doing it on my ipad, and i just wanted to share how i fixed it :P

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By bybeach

O'come on, I had to see those elbow blades! Maybe no achievment in it, but I am selective in who I kill. A whole lot of those guys are just working stiffs, there isn't any evil purpose in them. But for some, there isn't enough elbow blade to go around.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By UnrealDP

It's only 25+ hours, it's not like it's hard to keep track of everything you do and say to make sure no one dies for hours on end. It's not glitched it's just really hard to get and i've seen first hand that the tranq gun can screw you over by ending the lifes of your enemies which oddly enough isn't helpful.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By vitor

@bybeach said:

O'come on, I had to see those elbow blades! Maybe no achievment in it, but I am selective in who I kill. A whole lot of those guys are just working stiffs, there isn't any evil purpose in them. But for some, there isn't enough elbow blade to go around.

I was plating pacifist until I got to a section where bad dudes killed a bunch of innocents then I thought FUCK IT. They deserve what's coming so I took out every dude I could in that area with my blades/the silenced pistol I'd saved up and upgraded yet never once shot. Reverted to pacifist after that.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By hatking
    @zameer said:

Really!?  I tried to melee somebody and it didn't work!  God damn it... I've spent so much time making sure I haven't killed anybody since. 

EDIT:  Yup, looks like I'm fucked.  Guess I'm taking my frustration out on the next unlucky guard who gets in range of my elbow knives.
    left4doof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By left4doof
    @KingWilly: I used melee and it was counted as a kill .
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By Yanngc33

I wanted this achievement but inadvertinly killed someone by holding b down too long. Decided to give up on it afterwards

misterhaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#42  Edited By misterhaan

i figured knocking out the drug dealers in the basketball court for that one side quest you get early in the game wasn't enough, so i used my silenced pistol on them.  then i found out about this achievement and also the one for completing on the hardest difficulty.  i figure i'll finish on medium and then do it on hard while also checking every body i knock out to make sure they're not dead.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By droop

I'm pretty sure I didn't get it because I EMP'd a robot that blew up next to a sedated guy, killing him..

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Ares42
    @zameer said:
    Damn, hadn't thought of that. Pretty sure I'm far from the only one that got screwed by that. Pretty fucked up though considering it's part of the tutorial :P
    Taka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#45  Edited By Taka

If you put such a hard achievement in a game, there should be at least some kind of stat tracking to see if your still in business for the pacifict and "no alarm" achievements.

Found out afterwards that tranqdarts sometimes kill and the tutorial counts for the pacifist.

Also....the punch through the wall, i also an killing move....always

Had still alot of fun just stealthing and killing no one...

CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#46  Edited By CrimsonNoir

i just realized that they've been killing them when i tranq them in the head! what the fuck is that! might as well used my silenced sniper rifle if that's the case. i feel it's a major glitch or else the tranq becomes more useless if you have to wait for their sedatives to kick in. i feel like doing head shots with the tranq rifle is going against established video game conventions.  

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By haggis

I blew the achievement on the tutorial mission, so I wasn't too particular later on, but I've still been sneaking. I realized early on that head shots with the tranq gun sometimes killed, and so I've been aiming for arms and legs when I get a chance. Honestly, the routes you find for sneaking often give you great shots other than right for the head. I thought it was actually very thoughtful: if you're going the lethal route and want to kill, use the sniper rifle and headshots; if you go non-lethal, you can't use headshots. How many games actually give you and option and incentive to not take headshots? I found myself naturally going for headshots, and I'd have to stop, rethink my position (there were plenty of options), reorient, then take a shot. I think that was about the time I realized the massive amount of effort it must have taken the devs to plan these levels.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Tennmuerti

Put a lot of work into it and got both Pacifist and Foxiest of Hounds yesterday on the first playthrough, felt great.

Cr0ssbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Cr0ssbow

Hey guys, so apparently you can't kill dudes in the prologue/tutorial and get this achievement, but is it possible to take them out non-lethally during that section? I blew up some sort of gas canisters in the final room with 4 of them, and they all choked and went down. Not sure if dead or knocked out (no UI that early). I'm early enough in that I can restart (want to get this cheevo on medium, then kill everyone on hard) but that part looks like a bitch to just sneak by them. Any tips?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.