Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series, a prequel where players take control of augmented security officer Adam Jensen, and investigate attacks against Sarif Industries, a leader in augmentation technology.

Is this game going to be reviewer-friendly?

• 77 results
    OldThrashbarg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OldThrashbarg

Based on what I've played and read, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a serious Game of the Year candidate. It has all of the depth, breadth, and complexity of the original Deus Ex, but with shiny modernized gameplay mechanics. The stealth and conversation systems are some of the best in the industry, and even some small stuff like hacking is done better than in any other game. 

That said, I'm a little concerned about the critical response it's going to get. The Giantbomb guys were lukewarm on it based on their time with the demo. That's totally understandable--Deus Ex 3 needs time, a quiet environment, and a deliberate pace to really shine--but are reviewers going to appreciate that? Or are they going to slam the game for not delivering CoD-style instant gratification, and then ignore the game's many, many merits? I hope Giantbomb gives this game a fair shot, at least.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By valrog

You seem overly confident about this game.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By emergency

This game will certainly be good for a certain portion of players, it's polished, looks great and will have a solid story and atmosphere. I think that reviewers will give it mediocre middle of the road reviews citing it's overly orange colour pallet and that it is out of date in terms of how it plays. (Personally I don't feel like that, but most people seem to think it should have changed more).

WonderboyCoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By WonderboyCoz

from what iv'e been hearing, alot of gaming journalists seem to think this game is more Alpha Protocol and less Deus Ex in terms of quality

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@valrog said:

What...? A LOT of people are saying pretty much the same thing as this guy, minus the reviewer friendliness of it. A lot of people are very happy with what they've played/seen.

I think he is lacking confidence in the review staff. It's not like all they ever review is fucking CoD. I feel like Portal 2 was very much the same, you had to kind of play it in that way that devs play the game for their first gameplay trailer, trying to make it look all cinematic and smooth, and taking way more time than anyone would normally take because of it. They reviewed that just fine. They reviewed the Fallout games just fine, where half hour long conversations are totally a goddamn thing. I think they will be fine. They might not give it a high score, but I doubt it'll because they didn't do the game justice.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By valrog
    @MordeaniisChaos: All I've seen was crying and complaining. I have to stop using GT...
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Marz

Don't call it Deus Ex 3 cuz it ain't!!!   it's a prequel :O

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NTM

The only problem I saw with it is the animations in general and the facial features. And I've heard the soundtrack, it's not as fantastic as I was hoping. Though the song you hear in the trailers is the ending theme and then some, and that's alright.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@valrog said:

@MordeaniisChaos: All I've seen was crying and complaining. I have to stop using GT...

GT as in Gametrailers? If that's the case then yes, you need to stop using GT. The community there is awful. It's like the Steam forums took a shit and it became sentient.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By valrog
    @MordeaniisChaos said:

@valrog said:

GT as in Gametrailers? If that's the case then yes, you need to stop using GT. The community there is awful. It's like the Steam forums took a shit and it became sentient.

I only post in the private factions now. Public boards are... I can't even think of a proper word.
    emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By emergency

@NTM said:

The only problem I saw with it is the animations in general and the facial features. And I've heard the soundtrack, it's not as fantastic as I was hoping. Though the song you hear in the trailers is the ending theme and then some, and that's alright.

Ambient music such as this blew me away..

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By AhmadMetallic

No, it's gonna be called a bad Mass Effect 

you heard it here first.

Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Boiglenoight

What's "reviewer friendly" mean? I think games that reviewers are friendly to are, generally, games that are well made and fun to play. By that rationale, games that reviewers are mean to are those that waste the time and money of the people they're reviewing for, gamers. Is Deus Ex a waste of everyone's time and money?

OldThrashbarg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By OldThrashbarg
    @WonderboyCoz said:

from what iv'e been hearing, alot of gaming journalists seem to think this game is more Alpha Protocol and less Deus Ex in terms of quality

From where in particular, if you don't mind me asking? I know Giantbomb was down on the game's demo. Just wondering who else.
    KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#15  Edited By KillyDarko

As with any other game, I couldn't care less about reviews-- I've played a lot of games that I thoroughly enjoyed and that were bashed in reviews, while also very much disliking quite a few praised games out there.
    A review is just a personal opinion. And my personal opinion on DE:HR is that I'm very much looking forward to it :)

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By emergency

@keef said:

What's "reviewer friendly" mean? I think games that reviewers are friendly to are, generally, games that are well made and fun to play. By that rationale, games that reviewers are mean to are those that waste the time and money of the people they're reviewing for, gamers. Is Deus Ex a waste of everyone's time and money?

Some games are more accessible than others. Games such as STALKER are not terrible games, but some reviewers and people can downrate dispise them cause of how inaccesible they may be.

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Nomin

I dunno for sure, but I'll tell you this, that for fans of the game no review score will be high enough.  

OldThrashbarg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By OldThrashbarg
    @keef said:

No, reviewers can respond to different factors than a game merely being well-made or fun to play. 

Think about how easily accessible a game is. Do you think a reviewer is going to be equally fair to an instantly-digestible CoD clone, as compared to a super-complex hardcore strategy game like Europa Universalis 3? 

What if a game simply requires more time investment to understand its charms? Some games grow on people, some games do the opposite and repel people once players have had time to realize underlying problems. 

These are just examples. My point is, review scores aren't always reflective of pure quality. There are often other issues involved.
    Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Boiglenoight

@emergency said:

@keef said:

Some games are more accessible than others. Games such as STALKER are not terrible games, but some reviewers and people can downrate dispise them cause of how inaccesible they may be.

I understand where you're coming from, but don't think Stalker's the best example. While it got good marks iirc, the problem with Stalker wasn't so much accessibility as it was a buggy mess at the start. Such a good game though.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jimbo

It'll review well in Europe, less so in NA.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Aus_azn

A score's a score. If you know you're going to buy the game already, then why do you even care about it?

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@OldThrashbarg: ...as far as the GB crew are concerned, I wouldn't take much of what they say to heart. There have been some seriously great games over the last few years that they either didn't enjoy or completely blanked.

DE:HR looks incredible and I'm sure those of us who are looking foreward to it just now don't have anything to fear.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WinterSnowblind

After Alpha Protocol, I'll be buying this regardless of the reviews. Alpha Protocol was an amazing game.. let down by it's story, but had great gameplay and a lot of depth to the customisation and choices. It's exactly the type of game Bioware should be making, instead of catering to the casual crowd. I can see certain people being put off by the fact it's more RPG and less shooter.. but I really don't care what those people think.

Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Boiglenoight

@OldThrashbarg said:

@keef said:

No, reviewers can respond to different factors than a game merely being well-made or fun to play. Think about how easily accessible a game is. Do you think a reviewer is going to be equally fair to an instantly-digestible CoD clone, as compared to a super-complex hardcore strategy game like Europa Universalis 3? What if a game simply requires more time investment to understand its charms? Some games grow on people, some games do the opposite and repel people once players have had time to realize underlying problems. These are just examples. My point is, review scores aren't always reflective of pure quality. There are often other issues involved.

I think your concern is whether or not Deus Ex will get hit on Metacritic due to how accessible it is. So perhaps a better title for the thread might be "Is this game accessible to the majority of hardcore gamers?"

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By eroticfishcake

The game is riding on top of a well loved title (DX: IW doesn't exist in our minds) so people are naturally going to expect a lot from it. I really enjoyed Deus Ex but to be frank it does have problems. At the time the graphics were considered quite weak and the AI is pretty dumb. The reason why most people loved it was because of the concept of the entire game (which it pulled off pretty well). Having played the DX: HR leak a while back, I really enjoyed it. I can see where the complaints are coming from though, the characters are a little wooden, the black/gold colour palette is a little excessive, the gameplay fells more mechanical then fluid (albeit still workable and enjoyable to use) and there are boss fights/cutscenes. I don't expect it to break new ground but at the very least, I think it's enough to make the DX universe enjoyable to be in, which is what it wants to be.

OldThrashbarg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By OldThrashbarg
    @Aus_azn said:
    A score's a score. If you know you're going to buy the game already, then why do you even care about it?
    Sales figures. Good scores will boost the game's success, which will boost the chance of sequels and Deus Ex-style games, which will make me happy.
    Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Boiglenoight

If the game does end up like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. it should sell just as well. Even if it sells well on nostalgia alone, that could provide enough incentive and funds to create a sequel that solves problems found in the first game.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jasta
    @OldThrashbarg said:
      Deus Ex 3 needs time, a quiet environment, and a deliberate pace to really shine--but are reviewers going to appreciate that? Or are they going to slam the game for not delivering CoD-style instant gratification, and then ignore the game's many, many merits? 

You talk about reviewers as if they have never played or reviewed a game before. If you've been around here long enough you surely know the effort Giant Bomb puts into making sure a game is given a fair chance.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I don't mean to be rude but what you seem to be asking is "Can professional reviewers do a professional job reviewing this game?", to which the answer is of course, yes. These people write about video games as their job, they're very familiar with the fact that certain games require certain time commitments to be appreciated fully and that if you're reviewing them you should play them in an environment which will lead to as little bias as possible. If they are making judgements based on accessibility then that's unintentional (at least not for most respectable game reviewers), as a review is supposed to be a reflection of how good the reviewer thinks the game is and nothing else, but even if that is a large-scale games journalism issue, I don't see how it would have any significant effect on Deus Ex 3. It may be less accessible than some games on the market, but professional games journalists aren't going to exactly find this thing an incomprehensible rubix cube of systems and mechanics, especially not if they've played previous Deus Ex games, and many of the people reviewing Deus Ex 3 will have played previous Deus Ex games, I'm sure Giant Bomb will assign someone to the task who has. 

Honestly, even considering the environment and the time they spent with it, the Giant Bomb guys know what they're doing and while the demo they saw may not be representative of the final product, if they said that demo has some issues then there's a good chance it did.

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By 02sfraser
    @KillyDarko said:
    As with any other game, I couldn't care less about reviews-- I've played a lot of games that I thoroughly enjoyed and that were bashed in reviews, while also very much disliking quite a few praised games out there. A review is just a personal opinion. And my personal opinion on DE:HR is that I'm very much looking forward to it :)
    I agree with this. Reviewers tend to pick out faults in games and I think they can give you a good overview of how it will be, but will never reflect everyones opinion.
    Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Pibo47
    @valrog said:
    Yeah...more and more of these random "i like this game so it must be good even though i havent played it yet" topics keep pop'in up. I think gamefaqs users are invading.
    probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By probablytuna

I'm waiting for reviews before deciding whether I should buy this.

OldThrashbarg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By OldThrashbarg
    @Pibo47 said:
    @valrog said:
    Yeah...more and more of these random "i like this game so it must be good even though i havent played it yet" topics keep pop'in up. I think gamefaqs users are invading.
    I have played it, extensively. DX:HR had a build leak a few months back, and Eidos Montreal encouraged people to post impressions of it.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WonderboyCoz said:

Absolutely fine in my books. If it's even remotely more polished than AP, I'll have a blast.

Easily one of my favourite games of last year.
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By time allen

i've been on and off with this game. i'm currently very excited. don't really give a shit if somebody doesn't like it and i do, tho.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By time allen
    @akiz_jack said:

I'm waiting for reviews before deciding whether I should buy this.

wouldn't you rather try the game for yourself? lol
    probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By probablytuna

@Toms115: If there's a demo out, sure. But if not, I'll just watch more gameplay footages and read the reviews.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @valrog said:
    I was like that at first, then i realized that it's going to be a consolified piece of shit...oh well.
    OldThrashbarg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By OldThrashbarg
    @TheDudeOfGaming said:
    @valrog said:
    I was like that at first, then i realized that it's going to be a consolified piece of shit...oh well.
    It really isn't. It's actually significantly deeper and more complex than the original Deus Ex. Watch youtube playthroughs of the leaked build if you're not convinced.
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @OldThrashbarg said:
    @TheDudeOfGaming said:
    @valrog said:
    It really isn't. It's actually significantly deeper and more complex than the original Deus Ex. Watch youtube playthroughs of the leaked build if you're not convinced.
    I watched maybe 2 minutes of a gameplay video, and i got the impression that it was watered down, i hope I'm wrong, but i guess only time will tell.
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Dany

Preconceived notions haven't stopped giant bomb from giving a game a fair shake.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By valrog
    @OldThrashbarg: Quick question. Can you turn off that hideous highlights on usable objects? It's killing the immersion.
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By time allen
    @akiz_jack said:

@Toms115: If there's a demo out, sure. But if not, I'll just watch more gameplay footages and read the reviews.

or just rent it
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DonPixel

@WonderboyCoz said:

Really!? I red a PC Mag preview that was very positive about it but to be honest I don't trust them.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Pibo47
    @OldThrashbarg said:
    @Pibo47 said:
    @valrog said:
    I have played it, extensively. DX:HR had a build leak a few months back, and Eidos Montreal encouraged people to post impressions of it.
    Thats actually pretty awesome. However, you gotta admit we are getting more and more topics with this a certain pathos. I do hope that Deus Ex is fucking awesome considering how much i enjoyed the original.
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Subjugation

@emergency: I'm getting a serious TRON/Mass Effect vibe from that music. That's a compliment because I love the music from both of those.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By probablytuna

@Toms115: By the time the game is out available for renting I'd probably read reviews of it and seen what I needed to see to make my decision.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By time allen
    @akiz_jack said:

@Toms115: By the time the game is out available for renting I'd probably read reviews of it and seen what I needed to see to make my decision.

well that's stupid
    probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By probablytuna

@Toms115: Indeed, renting it at that point is very stupid.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Pibo47 said:

@valrog said:

Actually quite a few people already have played a significant portion of the game.

@valrog said:

@OldThrashbarg: Quick question. Can you turn off that hideous highlights on usable objects? It's killing the immersion.

Yes. But at least in the leak it is tied to the difficulty setting.

Be warned tho you are going to inevitably miss a lot of stuff that way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.