Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series, a prequel where players take control of augmented security officer Adam Jensen, and investigate attacks against Sarif Industries, a leader in augmentation technology.

Just don't "get it"

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By FourWude

It gives you choice. And allows you to follow those paths through.

This ain't no Call of Poopy.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By SomeJerk

The load times are nothing with the patch, on any computer..? It also performs godly on 2-3 year old machines, and even older ones. Only issue is stuttering with Nvidia cards mostly for core voltage decisions made by the manufacturer of those.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By emergency

I dislike this post. Your reasons for disliking this game seem off. It's not cool to hate on a game simply because other people thought it was awesome and hyped it up, or because other people take deeper meanings from a story that you didn't. You decide these things for yourself.

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FlyingRat

If you're the kind of person who judges a game entirely on its techinal merits, then you're right, you don't get it.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By OllyOxenFree

I don't get YOU!

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Akrid

It's a pretty terrible game at it's core, but the story and universe elevate it to something half-decent.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By ventilaator

Deus Ex deserves all the praise it has and more because it's first person and anything other than a 5 hour corridor crawl patched up with some multiplayer that nobody is going to play because they are waiting for Call of Duty.

Olivaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Olivaw

Admittedly, the game lacks the same level of pliability that Deus Ex 1 had, what with your general inability to kill major characters whenever you feel like it, but you're rarely confronted with a situation in which that was an option. There are plenty of times in Deus Ex 1 where all plot characters are invincible and you cannot kill them no matter how hard you try, it's just that no one ever tried because it wasn't that part of the story yet. As for lacking in content, I really don't see what you mean. It's not as long as the original game, but the original game was really really long, and even still I took almost forty hours playing through it the first time. It doesn't have many side missions, but neither did the first game. It has enough, and they are all full of story and character.

It's alright if you don't like it, though. I think Human Revolution is an excellent game, and my personal game of the year, but it is absolutely more than the sum of it's parts. Much like it's predecessor, there's a lot of flaws, and a lot of systems that are not as well-developed as others, and some that weren't thought out entirely, but the sheer amount of stuff there is to do, and things you can change, and paths you can take, and places to explore, are completely unique in this day and age.

It suffers from being a sequel to Deus Ex, because it is simply doing more of what Deus Ex did. It's not as groundbreaking or earth shattering as that game was, but it is still an important game, because while certain specific elements of Deus Ex have carried forward, most of the important ones have not. This game is a reminder that player choice and level design are still really goddamn cool, and hopefully the industry will sit up and take notice.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By EuanDewar
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xyzygy

I honestly cannot see how people can not like this game. It is near perfect in my eyes.

SquadBroken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SquadBroken

@EuanDewar: His voice reminded me of Randal from Clerks

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By iamjohn

@EuanDewar: That might possibly be my new favorite video.

matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By matiaz_tapia

Seeing this kind of thread again and again makes me wonder why people play video games. Not to condescend of course, but in most cases games are "good" because you are someone or play as someone that you'd like to be or like to see. That in a place or setting you like for one reason or another. Some people would really like to pilot a gigantic mech, some would really like to feel as they are in a battlefield, some like to hunt for demons in a gothic world, etc. But nowadays it's mostly about game mechanics, people blaming the hype and subsequent disappointment.

It seems to me that people are simply happier when they choose to play a game not because the game mechanics and production values are objectively good, but because they wanted to "be" there. Forgiving ugly graphics, bad gameplay and technical issues if any.

But I'm assuming a lot of things, so don't mind me.

PokeIkzai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PokeIkzai

Maybe it's just me but I like that feeling of being transported to another world. I feel that way the most while reading and years back while playing video games. As of late games just haven't been transporting *me*. Maybe that's why a lot of people really like this game.

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Shabs

The game performs just fine on my 2009 laptop and loading times are negligible. (Core 2 Duo 2.26 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, Nvidea Geforce 9800M 1GB)

I'm not too far in the game, but what I love about it is that every scenario is designed to give you real options and exploration yields tangible rewards. The depth of the stealth is satisfying to me, but I've never played a MGS game.

I like the context for the story so far but I'm too early in the game to know how I'll like it.

Sometimes a game is not for you. That's no problem.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By bybeach

Guy is within his rights he don't like something, even if everyone else see diff. I just walk away singing 'Thank god for that patch' If the patch for game loading hadn't occured as promptly as it did, I would have had hate, born out of fustration myself.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Sooty

What's not to get?

No Caption Provided
    jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#21  Edited By jaqen_hghar

I for one loved it, thus I will even play it a second time. Had one crash near the start, other than that it performed great. And I am positive I will look back at it years from now thinking about how great it was.

If you don't like it, move on and play something else. Life is to short playing things you don't like. Who cares what other people think. I see that you don't like it, and to me that doesn't matter at all, as I happen to love it. I wish people could take that stance more. Instead we get the "How can you like that game? It's a broken piece of shit!" and the "I can't understand how you don't like this game, it's the best thing since sliced bread." Why can't we all just agree to like the things we like, and stop worrying what everyone else thinks?

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By haggis

It's not a spectacular game. It's a good game. It's got shining moments and it has significant flaws. It's not the best looking game out there, neither is its stealth gameplay perfectly refined. But it looks good and plays good. I think some of the initial reactions were a bit too positive, but for the most part the game is worth playing.

I'm still not seeing why everyone thinks the story is all that great. My expectations were low, and they were only barely met. As I suspected, it's nothing more than a retread of late-80s, early-90s cyberpunk. Yawn. I read this story or something just like it ten times in high school. In the end, I found that the disappointing story didn't really matter: the gameplay is solid. If you haven't read a lot of SF, maybe the story is fine for you. I can understand people who like the game, and I can understand people being alright with the game. I'm not sure there are a lot of objective reasons to hate it. I mean, eventually I tuned out the story and just played the missions for what they were. And I still had fun doing it.

Bozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bozo

So OP doesn't get it. Thats fine. Its been a long time since a game like Deus Ex came out. Maybe its all hailed return doesn't ring home for some. I however can forgive the smaller issues for the mere fact that it exists, and hopefully with good sales will pave the road for others like it.

I have been starved, sick and tired of the same old. I won't say that games today are bad. No, I will say they do what they do very well. The problem is that they mostly only do action. It becomes like too much of a good thing, I need pacing, and variety.

Games used to be different. I think Deus Ex HR might not hold up in a world where every game is a Stealth/Action/RPG. Dare I dream. In this world however it is like a glass of water in the desert. Maybe the water has a little mud in it, but god damn is it ever tasty.

If they make a sequel .... and these days who will question that possibility.... I would wish for them to ditch the crappy game engine they used. They did a good job with what they had, but there were limitations. The cinematic overhaul they gave to this series would really benefit.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Boss fights were whack and it sometimes had issues with bugs and crashing, but yo, this game did a lot of things right.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @EuanDewar said:
    Haha, I love this! 

On-topic, I played the original Deus Ex for about 15 hours before touching this game, and I'm so glad I did. I feel right at home and I'm loving every minute of it.
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By Justin258

@AhmadMetallic said:

@EuanDewar said:
    Haha, I love this! On-topic, I played the original Deus Ex for about 15 hours before touching this game, and I'm so glad I did. I feel right at home and I'm loving every minute of it.

I need to know how 5 month old threads keep getting brought back up. It's like a daily occurrence on Giant Bomb.

Despite the age, my opinion of the game is lower than most people's. It's certainly not bad and I did beat it. Spent about 20 hours in it. However, I thought... well, let's just list this off in an informal manner.

-Despite that it was advertised as having many different playstyles available, there's only one that's actually good: Stealth. I didn't play stealth. I played it more like a cover-based FPS. And it's not great when played that way. Some encounters were fun but most were just OK. This wouldn't be a good complaint if the game weren't advertised as good at stealth playing.

-The blandest color pallet I've ever seen. It even beats out the original Gears of War, which at least had some greenery in it. Here, though, it feels like we've got a grand total of three colors: Black, yellow, and a little bit of blue. OK, there's some white in there, but my point is that the environments here are more boring than the "gray shooters" that were getting so much flak for so long.

-The AI sucks, plain and simple.

-None of the weapons really "felt" fun to use or really powerful.

-The story was uninteresting. It was OK at first, but I found myself not caring when the words "Illuminati" were uttered. It should have been a big reveal but I didn't care.

-Adam's voice, and the voice acting in general, was bad. I point out Adam's voice in particular because it was stupidly deep and got on my nerves enough to want to skip conversations.

-The role-playing elements - that is, the numbers - were there but they didn't much matter. Doing most of the stuff in the game meant that you had almost everything at the end of it. It could have definitely used a better system here.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By Phatmac

With you OP, honestly thought this game was overrated. People cling on to the idea of free choice and praise it far to often. Freedom may be there, but if the combat is stiff and AI unbelievable, than I don't want to do anything in this free open world. The bosses are horrendous and broke my stealth character. The story was good, but that can't hold a game that isn't made well. It's unpolished and generally looks ugly to me. It feels like an older game than it should be. It was good, but certainly not great or worth as much praise as it gets.

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Shun_Akiyama

The problem with this game is that all the choices it gives you are super super shallow. Also a other problem is you can almost accidentally do all the choices.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @believer258 said:

I need to know how 5 month old threads keep getting brought back up. It's like a daily occurrence on Giant Bomb.

The game-dedicated forums are filled with great topics that may age but are still relevant and full of good posts.. Not everyone buys every game on launch and discusses it then and there, sometimes you, you know, buy a game a little late. 

Despite the age, my opinion of the game is lower than most people's. It's certainly not bad and I did beat it. Spent about 20 hours in it. However, I thought... well, let's just list this off in an informal manner.

-Despite that it was advertised as having many different playstyles available, there's only one that's actually good: Stealth. I didn't play stealth. I played it more like a cover-based FPS. And it's not great when played that way. Some encounters were fun but most were just OK. This wouldn't be a good complaint if the game weren't advertised as good at stealth playing.

-The blandest color pallet I've ever seen. It even beats out the original Gears of War, which at least had some greenery in it. Here, though, it feels like we've got a grand total of three colors: Black, yellow, and a little bit of blue. OK, there's some white in there, but my point is that the environments here are more boring than the "gray shooters" that were getting so much flak for so long.

-The story was uninteresting. It was OK at first, but I found myself not caring when the words "Illuminati" were uttered. It should have been a big reveal but I didn't care.

-Adam's voice, and the voice acting in general, was bad. I point out Adam's voice in particular because it was stupidly deep and got on my nerves enough to want to skip conversations.

-The role-playing elements - that is, the numbers - were there but they didn't much matter. Doing most of the stuff in the game meant that you had almost everything at the end of it. It could have definitely used a better system here.

-Yes, for someone who doesn't know Deus Ex, the advertisement for the game was misleading. Hence my post that you replied to: I played the original game for over 10 hours and so I totally knew that this was a stealth game. 
    -I agree on that one. The world of Deus Ex is supposed to have much more color than what HR provided. However it looked good and stylish enough to not distract you from what the game is actually about: Stealth sneaky gameplay. 
    -13 hours in, haven't had that thought once. I heard the AI is bad but from my experience it is pretty OK, sneaking around them and/or attacking them feels natural, and their reactions to your actions are great! Especially when they're looking for you. 
    -This is Deus Ex. The guns aren't supposed to feel great, they're supposed to do distinctive jobs and they do them well.
    -This is Deus Ex.The story isn't supposed to be groundbreaking, it's supposed to provide a reasonable background to the events and it totally does. 
    -It sucks that you didn't like his voice, that must've ruined your experience. Personally I can't wait to hear him speak! Also the bad-ish voice acting is totally Deus Ex. Not everything has to be well-done to be "good" in terms of experience. Not every game has to provide Mass Effect voice acting and Gears of War shooting, that quality isn't essential for every video game, I don't know why so many people think they are. 
    -Deus Ex. Basic XP rewarded for proper exploration and execution, used on augmentations. It's not an RPG. 

Your problem my friend is that you, if I may presume, jump into games expecting the same old song and dance. You've totally missed the point of why this game exists if you focused on the voice acting and gun feel.
    Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ravenlight

@AhmadMetallic said:

@EuanDewar said:
    Haha, I love this! On-topic, I played the original Deus Ex for about 15 hours before touching this game, and I'm so glad I did. I feel right at home and I'm loving every minute of it.

@believer258:

None of the weapons really "felt" fun to use or really powerful.

I agree that many of the standard weapons you'd find in other games felt kind've weak (even if they weren't), but I thought the stun gun felt real good. That snap noise it makes is great. Not to mention it's hands-down the most useful weapon in the game.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By Justin258

@AhmadMetallic said:

@believer258 said:

The game-dedicated forums are filled with great topics that may age but are still relevant and full of good posts.. Not everyone buys every game on launch and discusses it then and there, sometimes you, you know, buy a game a little late.

-Yes, for someone who doesn't know Deus Ex, the advertisement for the game was misleading. Hence my post that you replied to: I played the original game for over 10 hours and so I totally knew that this was a stealth game. -I agree on that one. The world of Deus Ex is supposed to have much more color than what HR provided. However it looked good and stylish enough to not distract you from what the game is actually about: Stealth sneaky gameplay. -13 hours in, haven't had that thought once. I heard the AI is bad but from my experience it is pretty OK, sneaking around them and/or attacking them feels natural, and their reactions to your actions are great! Especially when they're looking for you. -This is Deus Ex. The guns aren't supposed to feel great, they're supposed to do distinctive jobs and they do them well.-This is Deus Ex.The story isn't supposed to be groundbreaking, it's supposed to provide a reasonable background to the events and it totally does. -It sucks that you didn't like his voice, that must've ruined your experience. Personally I can't wait to hear him speak! Also the bad-ish voice acting is totally Deus Ex. Not everything has to be well-done to be "good" in terms of experience. Not every game has to provide Mass Effect voice acting and Gears of War shooting, that quality isn't essential for every video game, I don't know why so many people think they are. -Deus Ex. Basic XP rewarded for proper exploration and execution, used on augmentations. It's not an RPG. Your problem my friend is that you, if I may presume, jump into games expecting the same old song and dance. You've totally missed the point of why this game exists if you focused on the voice acting and gun feel.

I didn't really focus on voice acting and gun feel, it's just some issues I had with the game. The game, as a whole, just didn't do anything for me.

Well, at least not the first time. For some reason, after I typed that I started thinking about it and now my stupid brain kind of wants to buy it back and play it again. Apparently I'm forgetting why I traded it in the first place. I hate it when this happens.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.