Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series, a prequel where players take control of augmented security officer Adam Jensen, and investigate attacks against Sarif Industries, a leader in augmentation technology.

Stealth points for non-confrontation

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By vitor

So, does the game award you points for sneaking past dudes and leaving them alive and patrolling or should I play this as I did Batman and just obsessively take out every guard I come across in a non-lethal way to min-max the experience system? I'm rarely spotted so often getting the Ghost bonus for sneaking at the end of missions but I was wondering if there was any reward for being completely silent and non-confrontational.

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By cinemandrew

@Vitor: That's a really good question. Although I'm mostly stealthy, I don't think I've ever left every guard standing in an area. A few here and there, but I usually end up taking out most, if not all of them. If there's not, there should be. That'd be some tricky business.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By vitor

@cinemandrew: It just seems like taking the effort to actual sneak and leave behind no trace of you ever having been there should be a legitimate tactic. Especially for the sorts of missions you're being sent on.

Admittedly, I'm gaming the exp system as much as I can to maximise what I get out of it (find every vent, get every traveller bonus, take out everyone non-lethally etc.) but I'd also be a little annoyed if I didn't get anything for having taken the time to let dudes be and just sneak on by.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By cstrang

Ghost and Smooth Operator are the only two bonuses I'm aware of. Knock those bastards out for a quick 50 extra XP.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Marz

"Ghost": Complete an objective without slipping into "HOSTILE" status.
    "Smooth Operator": Complete a full primary mission without slipping into "HOSTILE" status.
     Also you get an achievement called "Foxiest of Hounds"  for completing the game without causing an alert.

so yeah there is a bonus. 

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By cinemandrew

@Vitor: I have to assume it would be difficult to come up with an xp value for each enemy. There's so many times where you can circumvent entire rooms, or even floors sometimes, that it might be a little too much to reward you equally for every enemy you leave alone. If you pass over a room with 10 enemies by crawling through a vent, should you get the same as if you sneaked through the same room? Hmmm...

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#7  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Marz: He's asking if there's a bonus for being stealthy AND not knocking anyone unconscious. You can get Ghost and Smooth Operator AND knock out every guy you see for ~50 xp + loot.

@Vitor: If you want to min-max then knock them all silly.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By vitor

@StarvingGamer said:

@Marz: He's asking if there's a bonus for being stealthy AND not knocking anyone unconscious. You can get Ghost and Smooth Operator AND knock out every guy you see for ~50 xp + loot.

@Vitor: If you want to min-max then knock them all silly.

Yeah, pretty much this.

Also, if I can spotted briefly by an enemy before taking them out (I sometimes like to take one out with the stun gun and then melee his friend standing nearby), even if they don't have the time to react, does it negate those bonuses? Would be somewhat annoying if so because the only other way to play would be to cheese the AI and stun gun/tranq them which is nowhere near as satisfying.

thetenthdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By thetenthdoctor

There's no additional XP for not engaging them. Like others have said, tranq/stun/melee them for the extra points, otherwise all you get is "ghost" and "smooth operator".

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#10  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Vitor: It should be ok as long as they never reach the HOSTILE status. ALERT should be fine. I'm not 100% sure on this one though.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Marz

no there's no extra xp bonus for not touching them.   Other than you guarantee the no kills achievement at the end of the game.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By vitor

@StarvingGamer said:

@Vitor: It should be ok as long as they never reach the HOSTILE status. ALERT should be fine. I'm not 100% sure on this one though.

Oh that's great. Crossing my fingers for this one.

@Marz said:

no there's no extra xp bonus for not touching them. Other than you guarantee the no kills achievement at the end of the game.

So, say I blew up a wall with a grenade because I didn't have the 'punch through a wall' upgrade. And there was a dude standing on the other side that I didn't know about. What are the chances of him just having been knocked out? Only potential death so far...

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Marz
    @Vitor said:

@StarvingGamer said:

Oh that's great. Crossing my fingers for this one.

@Marz said:

no there's no extra xp bonus for not touching them. Other than you guarantee the no kills achievement at the end of the game.

So, say I blew up a wall with a grenade because I didn't have the 'punch through a wall' upgrade. And there was a dude standing on the other side that I didn't know about. What are the chances of him just having been knocked out? Only potential death so far...

i've actually done that before, dude died when i checked him :(.   Also hacking turrets will also count as kills by your hand which will count against the no deaths achievement.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By vitor

@Marz: I'm guessing by hacking turrets you mean using them against the enemy, not just turning them off etc.?

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#15  Edited By KillyDarko

I was hoping I'd be rewarded with XP points for non-confrontation in DEX:HR, but it seems like there aren't any.
    Can it be possible that Alpha Protocol is still the only game (to my knowledge) that properly reward you for avoiding combat? : /

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Marz
    @Vitor said:

@Marz: I'm guessing by hacking turrets you mean using them against the enemy, not just turning them off etc.?

yah that's what i meant.
    Hi_Voltg3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Hi_Voltg3
    @Vitor said:

I know exactly what you're talking about with this because I wondered the same exact thing. I actually noticed that after this Zzz appears when they are knocked out and a skull appears if they are dead. I saved before to experiment and I shot him in the head lethally on purpose with a pistol and the skull appeared after. Hopefully it doesn't count if what I saw is correct.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Marz said:

"Ghost": Complete an objective without slipping into "HOSTILE" status. "Smooth Operator": Complete a full primary mission without slipping into "HOSTILE" status. Also you get an achievement called "Foxiest of Hounds" for completing the game without causing an alert.so yeah there is a bonus.

I believe it's a bit different:

• Ghost is only given if you are not seen. If enemies get a glimpse at you and go into alarmed state you don't get the Ghost bonus (hence the bigger XP amount of 500)
    • Smooth Operator is for not setting of an actual alarm (which are present only in main mission segments)

At least that's what the loading tool tips say and how I have experienced it.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By Liquidus

Does it seem weird to anyone that this game only rewards, and therefore encourages, stealth gameplay? I mean, I prefer stealth myself but Deus Ex is about approaching the situation the way you want to. Yet, they only reward stealth. Shouldn't they reward all styles of gamplay or none at all if they want you to play the way you want?

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By cstrang

@Liquidus: I mean, theoretically, if you were playing aggressively, you'd get a comparable amount of XP (if slightly less) by killing everyone since you can get a handful of XP per kill.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Marz
    @Tennmuerti: I think you mean alert state.  You can still get the bonus when they are alarmed but they don't know where you are at yet.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Marz: yes alert state

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#23  Edited By yinstarrunner

@Liquidus:  To be fair, it seems to me that there are far more stealth-essential upgrades than there are combat-essential upgrades.  If you're going guns blazing you'll probably get plenty of xp to max that style out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.