Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series, a prequel where players take control of augmented security officer Adam Jensen, and investigate attacks against Sarif Industries, a leader in augmentation technology.

The End (spoilers...dah)

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Jackel2072

Just finished the game, i didn't really care for any of the endings i felt like the roller coaster ride of a story fell flat at the end. i only watched 2 of the endings, broadcasting the conffestion and the cover up one. maybe im just disapointed that all the end of that game is, is a monalog over video clips. you dont really get to see what happens to world after you make your choice. also i dont know what i missed to not get the 4th ending. i can either flip the 2 switches or sink the facility. also after looking over my achievements i missed a few side quests. really would like to know what was up the cloak and dagger achievement. oh well, so what did you guys think?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

They gonna remake the first game.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Liquidus

I personally prefer the "Self Destruct" ending, seems fitting for what happened during the course of the game in my opinion. But yeah, I kinda agree about it falling flat at the end only because it's so mechanically done, it's literally just push a button to see a different ending. I'd almost say it seemed rushed. It also would have been cool to see what the world was like after whatever ending you chose instead just a monologue from Jensen(which is still pretty cool).

Also,

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KaosAngel

No that ending implies they are remaking Deus Ex, as it highlights stuff from the first game and JC's icon is for the achievement for it.
    SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.
    bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By bicycleham
    @KaosAngel said:

SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.
    I think your spoiler tag is broken.
    Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Liquidus
    @KaosAngel said:

@Liquidus: No, that ending implies they are doing a remake of the first game. Even the achievement icon shows JC.

I thought that was just them referencing the project that created JC Denton. I don't see how that would imply they're doing a remake of Deus Ex 1.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Liquidus said:
    @KaosAngel said:

@Liquidus: No, that ending implies they are doing a remake of the first game. Even the achievement icon shows JC.

I thought that was just them referencing the project that created JC Denton. I don't see how that would imply they're doing a remake of Deus Ex 1.
    Did you listen to the music?
    Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Liquidus
    @KaosAngel said:
    @Liquidus said:
    @KaosAngel said:

Yeah, it's the first game's main theme. I still don't see how that suggests they're remaking the first game. I just took it as them letting you know how this one leads into Deus Ex 1.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Liquidus said:
    @KaosAngel said:
    @Liquidus said:
    @KaosAngel said:

Yeah, it's the first game's main theme. I still don't see how that suggests they're remaking the first game. I just took it as them letting you know how this one leads into Deus Ex 1.
    I bet you're the same type of person that doesn't believe in the proof of UFOs.  The signs are all there, they are remaking DX.
    FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By FCKSNAP

I keep thinking you're Beej, op. Stop it.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jackel2072

damn i dont think i have a save far enough back to go looking for David Sarif kind of want to know what his ending would be like... also the surprise ending after credits im guessing it changes a bit depending on what you pick. i really dont want to sit through the credits again to find out.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Jackel2072 said:

damn i dont think i have a save far enough back to go looking for David Sarif kind of want to know what his ending would be like... also the surprise ending after credits im guessing it changes a bit depending on what you pick. i really dont want to sit through the credits again to find out.

It's the same shit for everyone.  The credits are just too fucking long.
    Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jackel2072

what the hell happens if you go get your aug chip replaced at the limb clinic then? seems like that would have made a dramatic change of events if you were to become a puppet.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Jackel2072 said:

what the hell happens if you go get your aug chip replaced at the limb clinic then? seems like that would have made a dramatic change of events if you were to become a puppet.

It just changes a boss fight and that get's fix right after too.
    Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jackel2072

@KaosAngel said:

@Jackel2072 said:

It just changes a boss fight and that get's fix right after too.

thats kind of lame.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By Legend
    @KaosAngel If you watch the making-of video that came with the augmented edition (you can watch it on YouTube) one of the lead developers said that remaking the original Deus Ex was out of the question.
    MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MiniPato

Yeah, I wasn't too satisfied with the endings. I want closure, not moral musings. That might sound shallow, but they spent so much time building up this awesome world and all the organizations and relationships between companies and groups it just all seems squandered in the end.

bcjohnnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By bcjohnnie

I'm working through the endings as I write this... I went with self-destruct first, since I feel like that made the most sense for the "world" of Deus Ex. I think the endings are fine, for what they are... the story overall is told so well that I'm willing to forgive the fact you can just reload and see them all so quickly.

The post-credit sequence is cool, you know that's where it's going, and I have to admit that I fucking rocked out to the Deus Ex 1 theme playing at the end.

Overall, DX:HR was an extremely satisfying experience, except for the fucking boss fights. Luckily, by the end, going stealth paid off and I was able to pay for almost every useful upgrade, and I just made sure to keep one baller-ass weapon in my inventory to deal with the bosses (namir and the last boss went down on the first attempt with laser/plasma rifle and some frags), but conceptually, I am still very upset that they included the boss fights in this game with no way to get around them for stealthy builds.

Also, I have to say the "persuasion" mechanic was a lot of fun. Not necessarily the pheromones part, which was a nice addition, but the dynamic camera that pulled in when you were succeeding and pulled away when you failed felt very visceral. Figuring out which response would work on individual NPC's was actually intuitive, and took some thinking.

Anyway, probably not GOTY material once all of the Fall games come around, but for me this was a great start to this "season" of games.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I feel bad for skipping the credits now... didn't realise there was a bonus scene.

The best ending to get as far as I'm concerned is the blowing up of the facility.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Oldirtybearon

What I appreciated about the endings of Human Revolution is how none of them are good or bad. They're answers based to the ethical and moral questions the game presented you with throughout the entire experience. The narrative was strong enough to work without the typical game ending. Instead, they focused their efforts on explaining the different stances a player could take when it came to the conundrum of augmentation, and how "human" is human. 

So yeah, I loved the endings. If you didn't get why they are the way they are, think about it for awhile.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jackel2072

@KingWilly said:

What I appreciated about the endings of Human Revolution is how none of them are good or bad. They're answers based to the ethical and moral questions the game presented you with throughout the entire experience. The narrative was strong enough to work without the typical game ending. Instead, they focused their efforts on explaining the different stances a player could take when it came to the conundrum of augmentation, and how "human" is human. So yeah, I loved the endings. If you didn't get why they are the way they are, think about it for awhile.

wait are you saying the games endings are not typical video game endings?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @Jackel2072: Typical game ending is some sort of variant on Group Hug and maybe a 30 second denouement followed by ten minutes of credits and probably a teaser for what the studio is doing next. Human Revolution bypassed that by completing the story before you get to the "ending". The ending instead of focusing on what happened next to Our Hero, focused on the plight of humanity, and the ending you choose represents your answer to the moral and ethical dilemma of human augmentation. 

I thought that was pretty "outside the box" as it were, since most games would've stopped at Adam taking off his shades and getting the girl.
    Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jackel2072

@KingWilly said:

@Jackel2072: Typical game ending is some sort of variant on Group Hug and maybe a 30 second denouement followed by ten minutes of credits and probably a teaser for what the studio is doing next. Human Revolution bypassed that by completing the story before you get to the "ending". The ending instead of focusing on what happened next to Our Hero, focused on the plight of humanity, and the ending you choose represents your answer to the moral and ethical dilemma of human augmentation. I thought that was pretty "outside the box" as it were, since most games would've stopped at Adam taking off his shades and getting the girl.

i dont know man. you have a right to your opinion but you literally flip 4 different switches to see the different endings. (pick path A,B,C,D) for me it was the definition of a video game ending =P also the ending monologue just felt kind of cheesey. i liked what adam had to say sure but the video clips they used were also typical. they could have ran with the same idea but made clips from the game it self to play during the monologue at the end. but thats just my take. =)

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @Jackel2072: I think the clips were poignant, so long as you picked the ending you wanted. I did the Self-Destruct Ending, and Adam's speech along with the images affected me in a way many, many games don't. It worked for me because it WASN'T just a montage of previous clips in the game. They went out of their way to bring all the themes and debate in the game to a real world context.  

Could it have been expressed more eloquently? More than likely. However I think that's the case with any fiction. Think about it long enough, and you'll always find a better way to express your point. For Human Revolution, however, (A game, which I must point out, literally means "God in/from the Human Revolution"), it was the perfect cap for everything I had thought about and wrestled with on a thematic level. To me, it was perfect.
    byterunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By byterunner

so for the extra scene at the end, I assume I've had to have played Deus Ex to understand who the characters were and what was going on, right?

Also, does the extra scene change depending on the ending you pick?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By Ravenlight

@Legend said:

@KaosAngel If you watch the making-of video that came with the augmented edition (you can watch it on YouTube) one of the lead developers said that remaking the original Deus Ex was out of the question.

This is obviously what someone who was trying to hide the truth would say.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @Ravenlight said:

@Legend said:

This is obviously what someone who was trying to hide the truth would say.

I've seen the documentary, and KaosAngel is missing the context. They were talking about what Deus Ex 3 should be, and they felt that a remake of Deus Ex was not a good move. They told their own story and built their own world, so now if they wanted to remake/re-imagine Deus Ex 1, they'd be free to do so since I'm sure many of the Deus Ex faithful (and new fans like me) would be down for that. As a first title out of the gate? No, as their second Deus Ex title, done right and for the modern gamer? Fuck yes.
    SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SlashDance

@byterunner said:

so for the extra scene at the end, I assume I've had to have played Deus Ex to understand who the characters were and what was going on, right?

Yes and no.

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

The entire last level was crap, they telegraphed what was going to happen when all the main plot characters just conveniently manage to survive. The last "boss" was a pointless waste of time that really didn't make any sense in relation to the rest of the story.

As for the endings...when I make a choice in a game I want to see what my choice does, they even managed to do this in IW but all you get is 4 crappy videos with some preachy message which all sound rather similar. If you take the bosses, final level and endings out of this game it's really good and enjoyable but those three things really drag it down and as for putting an ending with some fucking context to the story at the end of the credits...fuck that noise.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By damswedon

I felt like the story went to shit the moment you went back to Detroit. The game went from trying to subtly telling you a story with the ideologies woven in the background as motivation, to all of a sudden ramming three different viewpoints down your throat in the space of five seconds.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By emergency

Not particularly impressed either. It wasn't hideous, but I just felt quite unsatisfied. When i chose Sarif's ending I was hoping that there would at least be hints that Sarif Industries become the biggest player in augmentation, maybe with Adam and Megan working together etc. Idk, I know that shit would be cheesy and it wasn't pretty much out of the question after what Megan had done but still. I felt like since it's a game about choice, I'd like to have that choice. What you get is an interpretation of what choosing the 'Augmentation' option means morally.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By huntad

@KingWilly: @Buck_Sexington said:

The entire last level was crap, they telegraphed what was going to happen when all the main plot characters just conveniently manage to survive. The last "boss" was a pointless waste of time that really didn't make any sense in relation to the rest of the story.

As for the endings...when I make a choice in a game I want to see what my choice does, they even managed to do this in IW but all you get is 4 crappy videos with some preachy message which all sound rather similar. If you take the bosses, final level and endings out of this game it's really good and enjoyable but those three things really drag it down and as for putting an ending with some fucking context to the story at the end of the credits...fuck that noise.

This is exactly what I think. I think you hit the nail right on the head. I only added KingWilly as a reply, because I think this is what the other dude you were conversing with was trying to say. The endings are fine, but the fact that you don't really get to see anything afterwards makes the game feel preachy. The game is fiction, so there shouldn't really be a problem showing us life after the last events whether or not the main character survives. It was a lot like the Fallout endings although the Fallout endings were more detailed and a bit less preachy.

Letting me see what happens at the end of the story that I helped create makes it feel like a game. Having the game play ethical/moral messages at the end with short hints as to how things played out makes it feel more like a lecture. Overall, the message suited what you chose, but that doesn't make it feel any less disjointed. They really didn't leave it up to me to think about either, since they basically described what happens very briefly. It feels unfinished in that respect, since they tried to show us the outcome of our actions with words/audio rather than video. Still, I really liked the game and am very interested to see what their next project is.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33  Edited By Marz
    @byterunner said:

Bob Page is basically the main villain in Deus Ex.  That little special meeting with Megan Reed basically ties the two games together (HR and the original game), since Megan Reed is a Nanotechnology scientist ( and has knowledge of Adam's DNA which doesn't reject augmentations which probably helped with nanotechnology research) and Versalife (Part of Page industries) became alot bigger and was one of the main companies to push for nano augmentations which we see during the first game.  Mention of the chimera virus is probably the Gray Death which is also a problem plaguing people in the first game.  The credit scene doesn't change based on what ending you see.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7
    deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By Floppypants

The last level of the game was terrible.  The behavior of the crazed augments made it feel like a level from Left 4 Dead.
    The last boss fight, just like the previous three, didn't fit in the game and wasn't fun.
    The endings are clearly lazy.  Instead of showing the player the consequences of their choice, they instead have you listen to Jensen talk about why he made that choice.  To make it worse, what's on screen is the same between all four endings.  For a game that works so hard to tell a great story, it's disappointing that they quit at the end.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By august

@Floppypants: The video clips start out the same for the first few seconds then change dramatically.

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#37  Edited By Floppypants
    @august: Dramatically?  I know they're not exactly the same, but they're close enough.
    Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#38  Edited By Kyle

@KaosAngel said:

@Liquidus said:
    @KaosAngel said:

Yeah, I really don't think it meant a remake. They were just establishing a lead-in between Human Revolution and the original and helping you realize that the man at the beginning of the game was Bob Page. The music and having the actor make the voice much more like the way it was in the original was just a little bonus for old-school Deus Ex fans. A lot of prequels put little sequences at the end like this, I highly doubt they will remake the original.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#39  Edited By niamahai

They should continue with Invisible War 2. At least female Alex. D was kinda hot in her dress. 

Regarding DE1 remake or DE:HR2, there was a leaked photo showing someone playing a Thief-esque game @ Eidos Monteral

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.