Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 23, 2016

Following up two years after Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Mankind Divided sees Adam Jensen working to thwart a terrorist organization bent on promoting human augmentation. It serves as a prequel to Deus Ex, the first entry in the series.

The most interesting bit of narrative is hidden in an Easter egg(major spoilers)

don_dimello25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By don_dimello25

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1284470

I'm sure most people already knew about this, but the ending of the game was such a bummer that I immediately sold it and forgot about it.

Anyway, the Adam we're playing being a dupe is infinitely more compelling than the filler and brain dead allegories we got in Mankind Divided.

This even makes the start screen relevant to the plot.(that was excised and shoved into a sequel)

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Whelp, you probably just spoiled the next game or DLC for me so thanks! :)

Interesting stuff though and kind of disappointing all that wasn't included in the main story. It would have made this game so much stronger for me.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never saw the stuff in the vault because I went the other route. Fuck me...

Pretty much confirms what I assumed

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Never went to that vault either :( It also doesn't help that I forgot the majority of the events from HR.

Although, I kind of disagree that the 'you're not actually you' plot twist is that much more compelling. I actually think the game conveys the feeling of being racially maligned pretty well.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Big boss?

Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thread goes fucking places. I had assumed something was going on due the Sarif quest, but I never made it to the bank...

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kasaioni

I am Jensen and so are you. No, he's the two of us together. From now on, you're Jensen.

gunflame88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, I kinda had a feeling they were hinting at something in the background, but I missed some important clues during my playthrough. Really cool, I like it when there's another narrative hidden in the game for players to piece together.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Yah it seemed really weird that they would suddenly want you to go take the call from Your old boss when the Harvester story bit pops up - and then he goes on to talk to you about serial numbers and it all seems to really have very little to do with anything at the moment and goes nowhere.

Noobsmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Noobsmog

Real adam is Janus. Just want to put that here in case its true.

Edit: damn someone beat me to the punch in that thread. It's still the most obvious guess though if any of this is true.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mems1224

I kind of like the idea of calling the game mankind divided and making it seem like its about augs vs normals while subtly injecting some MGSV phantom Jensen bullshit and pulling it off in a much better way.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Venom Jensen: A Man Without Limbs

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hahaha no way!

I cant remember what it was but I totally found something in the first couple hours that made me think this would be the twist later on. I stopped playing because my wii u copy of Human revolution arrived shortly thereafter and I still havent gone back to mankind divided so I didnt know how it would pan out. Turns out it just doesn't ?... (Haven't read the neogaf thread yet though)

wildpomme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the idea of this, but I don't really have a reason to care or a reason for why this is important, if that makes sense. Even if the Adam we play is a clone, he's still effectively Adam Jensen. Maybe if the game was more explicit in setting this twist up and how it will eventually tie into the Dentons. Or maybe I'm just not up on my Deus Ex lore since Bob Page is apparently the leader of Majestic 12. I totally forgot that.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

This is amazing. Also hilarious that this is basically the same twist from MGSV. I wonder how upset the devs were when they played that game (because of course they did, they were making a stealth action game, you need to know what the "competition" is doing), and realized they were beaten to the punch.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman: I wonder if that's why it's hidden away in this game too. So the "truth is out there!" but not everyone will find it, while in the other game you mentioned it's impossible to complete the game without discovering that twist.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By DharmaBum

This is pretty cool if true. And even cooler that it took this long for the community to come up with the theory. I skipped the bank infiltration so never came across the VersaLife vault.

Wow, reading through that GAF thread - some of this stuff is starting the add up. The psychiatrist asking questions of Jensen's past, the redhead woman showing up in the on-rails opening...

This just made the prospect of another playthrough much more interesting.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By DharmaBum

@beachthunder: When you find Orlov's body during the hidden augs quest, you find out he was working with a "Madame Photographe" and you can see her profile picture. The same woman shows up during the on-rails train station bombing: https://imgur.com/zsR6ycK

Apparently she also appears in the game's art book suggesting she's more than a throwaway character. The GAF thread is speculating that she is an Illuminati spy sent to keep track of Jensen in case he discovers too much about his past. Hence why Sarif wanted a secure line to contact you.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@jesus_phish: Yeah, I do wonder how much, if at all that impacted this game. I mean, that's assuming this twist is true, of course. People keep saying Square Enix might have made them cut content, but maybe they cut it themselves to change stuff because they didn't want to be seen as just copying another game? I've no idea! But I'm much more interested in whatever the next game has in store for us.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I thought they were hinting at that but there had to be a better explanation (wishful thinking I guess) but those vault pictures, if real, pretty much confirm it.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: When you find Orlov's body during the hidden augs quest, you find out he was working with a "Madame Photographe" and you can see her profile picture. The same woman shows up during the on-rails train station bombing: https://imgur.com/zsR6ycK

Apparently she also appears in the game's art book suggesting she's more than a throwaway character. The GAF thread is speculating that she is an Illuminati spy sent to keep track of Jensen in case he discovers too much about his past. Hence why Sarif wanted a secure line to contact you.

She also appears in a scene later on when adam and alex are talking in the old limb clinic

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Man, this is nuts and kind of awesome. I never got a whiff of this before but now that it's pointed out it makes a lot of things make sense.

I recall finding a little garage with some emails talking about a "subject" or "project" and Jensons picture was plastered all over. It would make sense that if this is kind of a field test that he would be getting monitored by the people who set it all up. They definitely fiddled with the idea of implanting someone's memory into another host but I don't believe there were any examples of straight up cloning a person.

I guess you could even reasonably assume that the big bad guys built Jenson from scratch terminator style and or maybe just is brain was implemented in a Robot casing. I don't know about all that, that's just me grasping at some straws.

Anyway, this is actually pretty cool that it isn't just revealed in the plot and you need to piece it together. But someone pointed it out that the title screen takes on a whole new meaning now when you look at it. I'm on my phone so no picture but for reference it has two silhouettes of Jenson looking at each other, one specifically having a polygonal golden eye patch.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mems1224 said:
    @dharmabum said:

She also appears in a scene later on when adam and alex are talking in the old limb clinic

Oh shit, I didn't notice her :o I did wonder what was going on with the Madame Photographe though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.