Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jun 22, 2000

A celebrated cyberpunk-themed first-person role-playing game, Deus Ex puts players behind the shades of JC Denton--an operative thrust into a world of byzantine global conspiracies.

Can someone point me to a graphics mod?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

I'm not someone who needs fantastic graphics to appreciate a great game, but when I play this, the contrast for the shadows are just terrible. Can anyone point me to a good graphics mod? If not, that's fine, I'm still planning on going through this game in excitement for the prequel. I'm still disappointed in myself for the lack of motivation when it came to trying to play this game in the past. Dammit I need to get going on it now. By the way, not that anyone cares, but I've played (and still have) Deus Ex: Invisible War on the original Xbox from around the time it came out (I believe), and I never went through that, only getting through Seattle (which is the lovely place I call home); anyone like that game?

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Vodun

I'm enough of a graphics whore to have thought the game looked kinda crap when it came out. I had most issue with the animation and models, so I doubt any kind of mod would help out with that.

As for Invisible War, I actually enjoyed it. It wasn't as good as the original, but I thought it was a fun game in its own right.
    Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Dallas_Raines
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Lord_Yeti said:
     the big graphical overhaul mod was never completed. 
    yeah.. that's a shame 
    neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By neoepoch

Is there a controls mod...or a faq on changing the keybindings to be something not set back in the 1990s. I really would like to play it but the controls are so archaic and it makes it difficult to play for someone coming into it for the first time. I don't mind the graphics, cause...seriously who cares, but controls are key for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Vodun said:
    As for Invisible War, I actually enjoyed it. It wasn't as good as the original, but I thought it was a fun game in its own right.
    Indeed. I could never understand the amount of flak it received (elevated expectations...), but, taken as a standalone experience, it's still a fantastic experience.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NTM

Nevermind, I don't need a mod, the graphics are good enough. The game itself is fantastic, and I'm not even that far in. I love the music.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NTM

Oh! Crap. I made this... I don't remember this. I am going through the game again now, and I am curious again :P. So, sorry to bump an old thread, but can someone help? I was going to make another thread about Deus Ex: Revision. Anyone here interested in that? I am on the site now, and it looks cool. The visuals don't bother me that much still, like I said in my last post, but I still want the best I can get with it to improve the experience any more. I want to know the go-to graphics mod. I know about some, but I'm not sure if it's the best choice. Wow, yeah I remember playing through this a few months prior to Human Revolution's release, but I hadn't played it since, so some of the details of the story I don't remember, and considering I've played through HR more than a few times now, that's pretty much what's on my mind in terms of story. I just finished Director's Cut on Steam this morning, and now that the Mankind Divided is coming, I want to go back through the first one, and perhaps even Invisible War.

Patchcoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: I would highly suggest playing the game as is. Mainly because the awkward animation coupled with the now lacking visuals add to the overall "charm" of the game (not to mention the rather questionable voice acting). You're playing this game for the story, music, and the various ways in which you can tackle any given objective, more or less.

Furthermore, Invisible War is still very much worth playing, even though a lot of people at the time of its release didn't particularly care for it. Before Deus Ex: HR came out, I finally went back and beat both the original and Invisible War, and I managed to have a surprisingly fun time without any mods whatsoever.

However, with that being said, this and this might be worth looking into, if you haven't already.

Actually, I was thinking about getting the director's cut of Human Revolution, but I've heard some rough things about it, mainly performance issues. How did you fare with it? (I imagine the developer commentary might be worth the purchase alone.)

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kcin

Definitely don't pass up Invisible War. It's Deus Ex with lots of smaller sets of environments rather than a handful of very large environments, and universal ammo. Otherwise, the core Deus Ex experience (choice, plot, dialogue, philosophy) is all very much intact. It's a great game, hampered only by players wishing it was "bigger and better" than the first one. But, to paraphrase Joseph Heller in response to why none of his novels since Catch-22 were anywhere near as good: "What is?"

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcin: @patchcoat: Oh, I am! I want to play it as is in its original form again, and play the Revision when that comes out (the Revision site also has the mods that I'd want). Also, I have already gone through the game once, and so I pretty much know what goes on, but some of the details evaded me (like Janice Reed, which makes me wonder if she is related to Megan Reed; same color hair, and same last name, though maybe that's just Eidos' doing an homage, or it's nothing at all and is coincidence), which is also a reason why I'm going through it again. I love the game; six hours in. I have The Director's Cut on the Wii U and Steam, but only just finished it on Steam the other day, and it's fine. I have the feeling my computer is kind of crappy compared to those that also play on PC here, so I had to run it in the lowest resolution with everything on highest to get it to run 40 - 60 fps, otherwise it was 10 - 20 fps on highest resolution. There was no way to change the resolution in windowed mode either, which I was hoping to do.

I'm not sure if it's due to my graphics card, but when I talked to other characters, often times their faces were glittered with small black dots that moved around erratically. I'm just going to assume your PC runs games better than mine, so with that, I'll say you're probably fine. Oh, and going into new game plus, which the Director's Cut added, it doesn't give you your weapons back, only your upgraded augments, which I found unfortunate, but it makes sense. The developer commentary is nice; it mostly talks about what they felt they could have done better, or simply couldn't do due to time constraints and/or the limitation of the consoles. Sometimes it's hard to tell if you already listened to one, so you might accidentally hit the same commentary, and the only way to get out of it is to go into the extras menu on the pause screen; turn it off; go back into the game, go back to the extras, and turn it back on.

As for Invisible War, the farthest I've ever gotten in that game was when I played it on Xbox, and got to Old Cairo I think it was, when you get out of Seattle. I stopped playing it on Steam because after a while, it kept locking up, though I'll try it again after I finish the first again. I like what I played of Invisible War. The visuals and the voice work in the first don't bother me that much, and are perfectly fine to get across what's going on, so while quite a few voices are laughable, it's not to an extent that it's cringe worthy.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Revision looks interesting! Thanks for the heads up there.

Patchcoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm Oh, sorry man. I should have read your post a little bit closer before posting.

As far as Invisible War is concerned, you may want to buy it from GOG, just in case your Steam version continues to give you shit whenever you start playing again. I never had any problems playing it off of disc way back when, but I did have to endure some insane load times. (Also some worthwhile mods to look into for IW.)

Thanks for your input on the director's cut; I'll more than likely wait for the impending Steam Summer Sale and pick it up for $5 (ya know, in case it does run like crap).

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patchcoat: I think it'll probably be fine, but even if it's not, I don't really want to buy it from GOG, or anywhere for that matter, not again. It'd be easier just to find a solution to fix what I already have, and I doubt it's due to Steam; I have the feeling it has to do with running it at 1920 x 1080, which it doesn't normally support. I'm almost done with the first, which was way shorter than my first time through, though that is probably because I don't feel the need to look in every nook and cranny like before; almost, but not quite. It's great. Oh, and thanks for the Invisible War mod. I don't feel it's needed since it looks okay already, but now that I'm checking images of it, wow; that looks really impressive, so I might try it.

@artisanbreads: Yep. It's actually done now, now that I checked (it wasn't yesterday). They just have to test it now.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NTM

Just finished Invisible War. I liked it, but it was like The Walking Dead Season Two's end; I wasn't satisfied with any of the ends, in more ways than one. Also, while not really adding to the reason I disliked the ends, going back to Liberty Island and seeing all the areas you were in, in the first game was kind of depressing. It was similar to going back to the same places in Stark in Dreamfall, that was in The Longest Journey. Glad I finally played it, though it kind of sucks now when playing playing Human Revolution or when going into Mankind Divided, that we already know where it eventually leads to.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.