Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jun 22, 2000

A celebrated cyberpunk-themed first-person role-playing game, Deus Ex puts players behind the shades of JC Denton--an operative thrust into a world of byzantine global conspiracies.

Deus Ex 3- excited or worried?

Matte_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Matte_G

I loved Deus Ex and its still in my top 5 best games ever list.
    However Dues Ex 2: Invisible War was no where near as good and with development currently taking place on a third iteration I am extremely worried. However the supposed remake of the first could be way awesome or even worse.
    How do you feel?  

Chris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By Chris

I don't think there's anything wrong with being both excited and worried simultaneously. I hope it's great, but simultaneously there's every chance it wont be. Like with anything.

PyroMenace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By PyroMenace

You know Ive always been tempted to go back and replay the 2nd game, many people seem to over criticize it for being in the first ones shadow. The game isnt so bad up until the abysmal endings, but Im not sure I could care enough for another one at this point. Alot has been done in terms of FPS/RPG hybrid games, with games like Bioshock and STALKER to stand up to now, or even upcoming Fallout 3. Still, it would be cool to play the role of JC Denton once again.

SG_Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SG_Mahonay

I don't see how you couldn't be worried about this game.  There hasn't been a single hint of what the gameplay will be like (there's only been the one trailer).  It's no longer in the hands of the original creator Warren Spector.  The last Deus Ex that came out was a shallow shell of it's former self.  Yes, my expectations are rock bottom for Deus Ex 3 but that leaves tons of room to be pleasantly surprised.

Wesley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Wesley

I hope that the amount of time they've been working on it is proportional to the quality. Deus ex was amazing, heres hoping 3 can bring the series back.

aemaeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By aemaeth

I have a feeling that this game will be my favourite in the series.

NeoTheta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NeoTheta

I think that the devs who are making know that they have a legacy to live up to, and are taking the time to really flesh it out best they can. I mean, with no release time period mentioned, it could push well into 2010, but that would be the best thing possible, since that shows that the developers are serious about making the best follow-up possible. Fallout 3 is a great example of how to update a classic game.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8  Edited By Termite

Yeah, I have to say excited and worried

Earthborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Earthborn

I don't think it'll be quite as good as the original seeing as how the key developers have since then left Eidos. I've been very concerned for the Deus Ex as a franchise ever since Invisible War, which was simply disappointing.  I remember when the game was being demoed and it promised "ground breaking physics" -- and to demonstrate that, they gave you a basket ball in your starting room, which you threw and it basically stopped dead on the ground.  Physics, indeed.  Still, I'd love to see DX revitalized.  NeoTheta: I totally thought the same way for Invisible War. I just wish Eidos would give it the love and attention it deserves.  For my money, however, the next BioShock is more promising than DX3.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

worried, i gurantee they will screw it up simple as that deus ex was amazing, invisible war was a black hole of suck.

wazzup987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wazzup987

my main beef with the 2nd one is the story but the game play was ehh too i mean i guess if you never played deus ex but its a good game

noextralife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By noextralife

Im worried, i'd expect it to me more like invisible war than the first game, uninspiring story, characters and none of the more advanced rpg elements that made the first game so engaging, but you never know.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Worried and excited.

Tanuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Tanuki

Worried and excited.  But I think we should hold our breath until we at least see some footage/game mechanics.  (But in all honestly... I foresee suckage...)

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By epic_pets

Im both, gotta read more info on it first

wazzup987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By wazzup987
    epic_pets said:
    "Im both, gotta read more info on it first"
    ditto but im still worried i home the head back home, i mean i hope they lean more toward the first one rather than the second one
    Crockpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Crockpot

I'm worried. 2 wasn't so great.

Lance_McCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lance_McCloud

Deus Ex is still today one of my favorite games of all time, and I really disliked the second game to a level where I gave up after about three hours (something that is rare for me), but I'm really interested in DX3. The main reason for this is the short teaser trailer they released for it. The music sent tingles down my spine and it sounds that they want to go back to the first game and learned form the second games huge flaws.

I still think things could be changed, but what I want to remain is the same type of well written story narrative we saw in the first game. The second is the ability to play the game your way, as a ninja, through total pacifism or like your Duke Nukem. And they need to keep the atmosphere and the continuity of the first game intact hopefully. But I hope they add things we have seen in other modern games as change isn't a bad thing. Fix the physics engine ideas they tried to use in the second game as that would allow you to make use of the strength increasing bio-aug for example and add new weapons to take advantage of new hardware (not necessary by copying Half Life 2). And something less important that i would like to see but wouldn't be a big deal would be to add usable vehicles like mecha and helicopters for example.

Sarge506

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sarge506

I would love to think that Deus Ex 3 will be amazing.  THe teaser certainly made me tingle when the original music started playing!

The third game needs to return to its focus on RPG and mods.  And have a strong story to back it up.

Magnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Magnum

New screen for DX3

caption
    caption

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By BiggerBomb

If it comes out on the 360 I will be excited. I liked Invisible War a lot, unfortunatly my memory was mysteriously erased on the last level and I never finished it. :(

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By Claude

The second game wasn't that bad, but no where close to being as good as the first one. I  always get excited about Deus Ex and Deus Ex 3 is no exception.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BiggerBomb

Well I never played the original so there were no shoes to fill for me.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

The original is one of my favorite games of all time, but I'm also one of the few people that also really liked Invisible War. I just loved the atmoshpere, the characters (Omar FTW,) the progression, etc.... so I have high hopes for this game.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
    Lance_McCloud said:
    "i would like to see but wouldn't be a big deal would be to add usable vehicles like mecha and helicopters for example.
    "

Ugh, I don't like that idea that all.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BiggerBomb

Heavy customization would be nice.

Lance_McCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Lance_McCloud
    BiffMcBlumpkin said:
    "Lance_McCloud said:
    "i would like to see but wouldn't be a big deal would be to add usable vehicles like mecha and helicopters for example.
    "

Ugh, I don't like that idea that all."
    I dont think its necessary at all, but I thought more as having it like a feature similar to that seen in Half Life 2 where you used the buggy or hooverbike (or whatever it was called again) as transport, and not mix it with the regular game play content to much. The main reason I would like to see it  is because the vehicles, and in particular the mechs are an interesting part of any sci-fi story, and Deus Ex already showed them being important to the setting given as well, just not to the game play.
    Lightnin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Lightnin

I've been reading the DX3 forums and I think they really did learn from the mistakes of DX2.  The "Facts" sticky there really opened my eyes to the plans for DX3 and so far it looks like they're throwing back to DX's XP system, which is a huge relief for me.  I think the whole team knows why DX2 went wrong and they're avoiding it like the plague.  For me DX2 wasn't terrible but it was a failure at its attempt to continue the DX legacy. 

The biggest problem, in my opinion, was that the entire game was more focused towards the console market.  This made the interface simple to the point of failure and the game shorter, which severed its possibility for developing into a really interesting plot. 

Also, your main adversaries were uninteresting and simple in DX2, the inverse of which made DX so cool.  They upheld feasible, appealing, and morally complex ideals that different players could aggree with.  In DX2, these 'ideals' became shallow and transparent.  Another disappointment for me in DX2 was the focus on religious zealots, rather than logical, however diabolical, meglomaniacs who really believed that their ideas were best for everyone.  The uncomfortable choice  you're forced into making at the end of DX really presented itself as important and world-altering, whereas its pale counterpart in DX2 seemed to me that it really wouldn't make a bit of difference which zealots you chose to aggree with, the world was effed anyway you chose because the guy who gets to choose (me) didn't give a damn.  None of the 'final solutions' resounded with real-world issues.

The last real complaint I had with DX2 was its departure from the noir.  In DX, everywhere was in shambles and no one was optimistic.  The NPCs all knew that the world was terrible, and each one had their input to offer.  In DX2, someone had actually succeeded in pulling the wool over everyone's eyes and most NPCs had ascribed to one or another utoptian, idealistic, impractical ideology.  I think this was intended to help the player think that he or she was unveiling a well hidden secret, but it really just made me feel like I was surrounded by idiots.  Seriously, with government-minded Britney Spears and the rogueish Justin Timberlake as my possible choices of role models, I felt as though I were drowning in a sea of idioc.  An intelligent, open-eyed Paul Denton was fully missing from DX2 and I missed him sorely as a source of wisdom and sound council.

Hopefully the devs picked up on these mistakes and will avoid them, if so, DX3 should be awesome.  The custimization factor is there, the genre of the shoooter/RPG hybrid is now tried and true,  and the life of a pre-Denton mech should be really interesting if he gets to make discoveries about the inner workings of world politics as JC did.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Lightnin said:
    "I've been reading the DX3 forums and I think they really did learn from the mistakes of DX2.  The "Facts" sticky there really opened my eyes to the plans for DX3 and so far it looks like they're throwing back to DX's XP system, which is a huge relief for me.  I think the whole team knows why DX2 went wrong and they're avoiding it like the plague.  For me DX2 wasn't terrible but it was a failure at its attempt to continue the DX legacy.  The biggest problem, in my opinion, was that the entire game was more focused towards the console market.  This made the interface simple to the point of failure and the game shorter, which severed its possibility for developing into a really interesting plot.  Also, your main adversaries were uninteresting and simple in DX2, the inverse of which made DX so cool.  They upheld feasible, appealing, and morally complex ideals that different players could aggree with.  In DX2, these 'ideals' became shallow and transparent.  Another disappointment for me in DX2 was the focus on religious zealots, rather than logical, however diabolical, meglomaniacs who really believed that their ideas were best for everyone.  The uncomfortable choice  you're forced into making at the end of DX really presented itself as important and world-altering, whereas its pale counterpart in DX2 seemed to me that it really wouldn't make a bit of difference which zealots you chose to aggree with, the world was effed anyway you chose because the guy who gets to choose (me) didn't give a damn.  None of the 'final solutions' resounded with real-world issues.The last real complaint I had with DX2 was its departure from the noir.  In DX, everywhere was in shambles and no one was optimistic.  The NPCs all knew that the world was terrible, and each one had their input to offer.  In DX2, someone had actually succeeded in pulling the wool over everyone's eyes and most NPCs had ascribed to one or another utoptian, idealistic, impractical ideology.  I think this was intended to help the player think that he or she was unveiling a well hidden secret, but it really just made me feel like I was surrounded by idiots.  Seriously, with government-minded Britney Spears and the rogueish Justin Timberlake as my possible choices of role models, I felt as though I were drowning in a sea of idioc.  An intelligent, open-eyed Paul Denton was fully missing from DX2 and I missed him sorely as a source of wisdom and sound council.Hopefully the devs picked up on these mistakes and will avoid them, if so, DX3 should be awesome.  The custimization factor is there, the genre of the shoooter/RPG hybrid is now tried and true,  and the life of a pre-Denton mech should be really interesting if he gets to make discoveries about the inner workings of world politics as JC did."

Interesting thoughts on DX2.  There were of course the big changes towards a more console style, but that move from political to religious was also a big problem.  While DX1 kind of presented a political world as it was and let the player move through this, DX2 was trying too hard to make you choose between factions, which is far less compelling.   How Deux Ex unfolded does bring to mind the noir style.   If we can draw from the typical rogue noir detective story where the detecitve is paid to be involved and then goes further than he has to, finally making his mark on events, it's interesting to think of JC being sort paid by UNATCO, then getting too deep and seeing too much  until at the end he makes his choice.

With Deus Ex 2, it seems like they recognized people liked the choice and said "lets give them more!", but it wasn't just that there was choice it was that it was presented in a logical and interesting way.  DX2 had the choice mechanic that a lot of games have now which is choose between faction a or b or outcome a or b.  Things are often well defined and we can tell "this is a choice moment"  DX1 felt more organic.  There are factions, but you are JC and an outlier.  You are the difference maker between them.   This is why no game has been as compelling in its open ended-ness I'd say.   The Witcher is maybe the only game that has captured the branching storyline as well in its ambiguity and real world style.

This is something I've always felt but your post was a good way to put it into words.   Great post.

As for DX3, I'm very optimistic.   It's going to be different certainly but if they begin to recognize what DX2 did wrong thats a plus.  It seems as if it might be more action oriented but this is probably very necessary now and will in the end be for the better.  If they capture this hidden quality to Deus Ex, its organic nature and noir feel, we could have a great game on our hands.
    Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#30  Edited By Sin4profit

I'm curious about it. i never played Deus Ex 2 so i don't have that as a basis for worry (...from what i have heard). From the bullet points i read on the GB wiki it definitely doesn't sound like it'll have the depth that the original had. actiony games are fun and all but usually you feel more distant from those characters then you do in RPGs which kills a lot of the enjoyment i get out of'em.
     So, after reading the bulletpoints and not really having much faith in Eidos Interactive i don't see much to get excited about.

luthorcrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By luthorcrow

I yet to like a Dues Ex game so I am neither excited or worried but it would be nice if this game was good.

The amazing thing is in the second game the shooting mechanics felt even more RPG like than Fallout 3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.