Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jun 22, 2000

A celebrated cyberpunk-themed first-person role-playing game, Deus Ex puts players behind the shades of JC Denton--an operative thrust into a world of byzantine global conspiracies.

I finished Deus Ex (spoilers)

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Goly

So I finally got to finish it. Saw the three endings and each one was worth it. Can't really say I like one more than the others since they were all kind of in the same vein, JC's got good intentions but it's never revealed how his actions are going to affect the world ultimately. I seriously doubt that by putting back the Illuminati things are going to get better though. Or creating a new Dark Age for that matter. And I'm not really sure if it's safe to merge with a super robot... damn now that I think about it, either way, humanity's pretty screwed in Deus Ex's logic. 
    As far as I'm concerned, this was completely worth it for the story, but as a game it definitely has its issues. I think this is one of the few games that I played entirely for its story rather than its gameplay, because it really wasn't that enjoyable. I mean yeah sure you can beat the game however you want and there are a ton of approaches to each level, but it tries to merge different gameplays such as shooting, stealth, rpg elements, etc. without really shining in any of these aspects. The shooting is poor, as a stealth game it is pretty terrible, the rpg elements are fine I guess. But I don't think the gameplay is the reason why people go crazy everytime someone mentions it (is anyone going to reinstall it after this post?).

It is the story. It is the paranoid world that has been created which makes it one of the craziest I've seen ever. I seriously can't remember any story, videogames or otherwise that has so many conspiracy theories, secret organizations, confidential projects and all kinds of similar paranoia crammed into it. Not even Zeitgeist, seriously. Or maybe not, I don't know haven't finished seeing Zeitgeist, I think it sucks. Which is why I'm  all the more surprised that I enjoyed Deus Ex's plot so much, I usually hate conspiracy theories. Let me rephrase that, I'm ok with conspiracy theories, but I hate people who take it way too seriously and think their entire existence is a conspiracy. I am the Milkman. 

When I think about it, I guess the reason why I loved it so much it's because by creating this fictional and conspiracy ridden dystopia, it made me think about how it could apply to the real world. I'm sure there has been ton of research while making this game. I enjoyed every overly philosophical conversation in the game, all the mails read, every book that you could find in the game told a parallel story which made it even more "meta" (for lack of a better word). It seems it was made by geniuses and visionaries. You know this from the first moment you're playing the game. The Twin Towers are missing, struck by a terrorist attack. This game was made one year before the attacks if I'm not mistaken. That is some scary visionary shit right there.

I can definitely say this game is a masterpiece, it succeeds in its ambitions, when you watch the three endings there's a sense of satisfaction, that you have learned something from this experience. I am probably going to think about it for a long time, eventually replaying it to not miss any details, read all the books and side stories scattered throughout the game. People often ask which game could be the Citizen Kane of videogames. I don't know about Citizen Kane, but I could easily call this the 1984 of videogames. I hope it isn't an exaggeration. 

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Goly

So I finally got to finish it. Saw the three endings and each one was worth it. Can't really say I like one more than the others since they were all kind of in the same vein, JC's got good intentions but it's never revealed how his actions are going to affect the world ultimately. I seriously doubt that by putting back the Illuminati things are going to get better though. Or creating a new Dark Age for that matter. And I'm not really sure if it's safe to merge with a super robot... damn now that I think about it, either way, humanity's pretty screwed in Deus Ex's logic. 
    As far as I'm concerned, this was completely worth it for the story, but as a game it definitely has its issues. I think this is one of the few games that I played entirely for its story rather than its gameplay, because it really wasn't that enjoyable. I mean yeah sure you can beat the game however you want and there are a ton of approaches to each level, but it tries to merge different gameplays such as shooting, stealth, rpg elements, etc. without really shining in any of these aspects. The shooting is poor, as a stealth game it is pretty terrible, the rpg elements are fine I guess. But I don't think the gameplay is the reason why people go crazy everytime someone mentions it (is anyone going to reinstall it after this post?).

It is the story. It is the paranoid world that has been created which makes it one of the craziest I've seen ever. I seriously can't remember any story, videogames or otherwise that has so many conspiracy theories, secret organizations, confidential projects and all kinds of similar paranoia crammed into it. Not even Zeitgeist, seriously. Or maybe not, I don't know haven't finished seeing Zeitgeist, I think it sucks. Which is why I'm  all the more surprised that I enjoyed Deus Ex's plot so much, I usually hate conspiracy theories. Let me rephrase that, I'm ok with conspiracy theories, but I hate people who take it way too seriously and think their entire existence is a conspiracy. I am the Milkman. 

When I think about it, I guess the reason why I loved it so much it's because by creating this fictional and conspiracy ridden dystopia, it made me think about how it could apply to the real world. I'm sure there has been ton of research while making this game. I enjoyed every overly philosophical conversation in the game, all the mails read, every book that you could find in the game told a parallel story which made it even more "meta" (for lack of a better word). It seems it was made by geniuses and visionaries. You know this from the first moment you're playing the game. The Twin Towers are missing, struck by a terrorist attack. This game was made one year before the attacks if I'm not mistaken. That is some scary visionary shit right there.

I can definitely say this game is a masterpiece, it succeeds in its ambitions, when you watch the three endings there's a sense of satisfaction, that you have learned something from this experience. I am probably going to think about it for a long time, eventually replaying it to not miss any details, read all the books and side stories scattered throughout the game. People often ask which game could be the Citizen Kane of videogames. I don't know about Citizen Kane, but I could easily call this the 1984 of videogames. I hope it isn't an exaggeration. 

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#2  Edited By ArbitraryWater

How weirdly coincidental. I'm playing Deus Ex at this moment. It has its issues, but it's also mad ambitious and actually manages to make good on most of the concepts presented, as long as you are willing to accept fairly dated gameplay systems, none of which hold up separately. But the story so far? I dunno. I take issue with it, and that's as far as I'll go until I actually write my own blog on the subject. 

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I liked the stealth in Deus Ex, I'd say the only game that has done stealth gameplay better (in my opinion) is Thief II.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

Deus Ex was released in 2000 and you could see yourself in a mirror. I'm playing Fallout: New Vegas in 2011 and must be a vampire, no reflection. I don't get that at all.

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Goly
    @Claude said:

" Deus Ex was released in 2000 and you could see yourself in a mirror. I'm playing Fallout: New Vegas in 2011 and must be a vampire, no reflection. I don't get that at all. "

Definite proof that it was ages ahead of its time, no? :P
    Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Goly
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " How weirdly coincidental. I'm playing Deus Ex at this moment. It has its issues, but it's also mad ambitious and actually manages to make good on most of the concepts presented, as long as you are willing to accept fairly dated gameplay systems, none of which hold up separately. But the story so far? I dunno. I take issue with it, and that's as far as I'll go until I actually write my own blog on the subject.  "
    Where are you story wise? I don't know I just liked the central theme of conspiracies and how they didn't hesitate to include every conspiracy theory they could think of. I doubt they've missed anything. Maybe freemasons, I kinda miss that they didn't put them in there actually.
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By bybeach

I loved Deus Ex. It was amusing how they used conspiracy theiries and such to build a precise logical world to argue out the issues. Everything from the Iluminati to the New world Order to Hangar 51 was thrown into the mix, along with some ressurected DNA from prehistoric times,..and it all worked for rational premise and thought.

Yes the game had issues. It just made the cut to self -aware mirrors, and the combat was clunky. But Deus Ex just the same rocked big time.

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Goly
    @bybeach said:
    "

I loved Deus Ex. It was amusing how they used conspiracy theiries and such to build a precise logical world to argue out the issues. Everything from the Iluminati to the New world Order to Hangar 51 was thrown into the mix, along with some ressurected DNA from prehistoric times,..and it all worked for rational premise and thought.

Yes the game had issues. It just made the cut to self -aware mirrors, and the combat was clunky. But Deus Ex just the same rocked big time.

"
    It seemed to be well documented, I don't know if Warren Spector is really an expert on this, I'm not either so I don't know if these conspiracy theories in the game are accurate enough or not. The good thing about this is that because it is fiction, it doesn't look like they're trying to shove you this down your throat and make you believe it, you can choose to believe it or just play it for the sake of the story. Unlike documentaries which everytime I watch something like Zeitgeist or Loose Change it makes me cringe and feel awkward. 
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By TheHT

I always have Deus Ex installed now. Such a hassle having to reinstall everytime someone mentions it.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By probablytuna

I wanna play this before I play Human Revolution. I only just bought Deus Ex off Steam a few months ago and I couldn't get into because of the clunky controls. If the story is as intriguing as you say, this might prove to be an interesting game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.