august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This is Devil Daggers and I think it looks dope as fuck, son

And they have a tumblr here.

Tbh I think I'm a little disappointed that there don't seem to be any actual levels - but maybe focus is for the best. Although I'd love to see the Quake software mode aesthetic they have going on applied to actual level geometry.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

This looks Early Access as hell, and more of a rough outline than a fully fleshed out game.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So it's just running around a small platform shooting demons? There has to more to it.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's an arena shooter, there might be more arenas but it's not going to have a campaign or anything.

That being said it looks wicked.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 54

I love the way it looks, but at least make the arenas more interesting than a black void.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

I concur with everything that people are saying here: the game's aesthetics look AMAAAAAAAAAZING (like, I'm getting wet over here watching those videos, they NAILED that look and vibe), but the game itself just seems....meh.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Two things:

1. That looks damn pretty, and I hope there's more to it than the trailers suggest.

2. I kept reading the title as "Devil Doggers", and "Devil Doggers" is totally going to be the name of my dive bar house band now.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Those creatures look cool as all hell. Holy shit.

Sounds are really great too.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By august

This got a release date - Feb 18th, only about two weeks away. I wonder if it will have enough meat on its bones to justify wherever price point they settle on.

Loading Video...

Steam Page

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A real Heretic 2? I'm in if they can change it to actual levels instead of a dark platform...

Avatar image for reasonablesteve
ReasonableSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Solid art and smooth animation applied to this janky 90's aesthetic looks delightful. I would love to see it developed into all sorts of things, a competetive shooter, a dungeon crawler, a racing game, whatever you got, I'll take it with that software-rendered Quake style all over it. Come to think of it, that's part of the reason I liked first person shooters on the DS so much...

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is out now.

RPS review.

I think I took the bad acid guys:

Loading Video...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 14

Ok, this looks awesome

now go make an actual game out of it.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the visuals, but like already mentioned, I'd prefer some actual levels instead of the arena.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The sound design is fucking mind-meltingly great!

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 73

#16  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I'm not sure they understand what "arena FPS" typically means. The art-style looks amazing, but even the released game only seems to have a flat plane you shoot waves of enemies on. A bummer, seems more like a first person Crimsonlands than a proper 90's FPS homage.

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a hard time expressing how awesome this game looks. I looks so damn awesome.

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Every time I beat my previous best in this game I feel like a dark god. To be honest, asking the devs to spend the time and resources on a campaign or other levels would be an absolute waste of their time. You don't have time to sightsee. You don't have time to drink in the scenery. Everything directs your focus to the task at hand, which is tough as shit but so rewarding.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I liked its style when I first saw it but then I realised it wasn't an actual arena fps in the classic definition of the term.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does it only have one mode? Or is it more along the lines of Geometry Wars and there's a few different ones?

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

I liked its style when I first saw it but then I realised it wasn't an actual arena fps in the classic definition of the term.

Yeah, I dunno really what genre to slot it into at this point. Wave based survival without the waves?

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sweetz

Man that aesthetic (especially the sound design) is fantastically twisted. I feel like if you made a person play that in VR for like an hour, they would seriously leave the experience with a permanent impact on their psychology.

However, like everyone else, I can see the game getting old in a very short period of time.

They should take those aesthetics and basically make a Ziggurat clone - what's there so far seems perfectly suited for it.

(Ziggurat if you're not aware is essentially FPS version of Binding of Isaac. It has levels that are made of random permutations of big, arena-like rooms where you have to kill all enemies to open the door and proceed - trying to find the boss and then proceed to the next level. Along the way you collect upgrades and different weapons.)

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

@casepb said:

Does it only have one mode? Or is it more along the lines of Geometry Wars and there's a few different ones?

It's super focused just on the survival mode.

@sweetz said:

Man that aesthetic (especially the sound design) is fantastically twisted. I feel like if you made a person play that in VR for like an hour, they would seriously leave the experience with a permanent impact on their psychology.

As someone who played Quake 1 with a Rift a while back, the pace of the game is such that you'd basically barf before any psychological damage could occur.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@august said:
@hassun said:

Yeah, I dunno really what genre to slot it into at this point. Wave based survival without the waves?

... and now the new STRAFE trailer has taken up all my attention I had for games of this style. If the game is even half as good as their trailers it's a surefire winner.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.