Devil May Cry full series playthrough

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Hey guys,

Saw the E3 trailer for DMC 5 at the Xbox conference and thought it looked awesome, but I havent played the series. I love hack n slash games like the OG God of War series (the new one too), and Bayonetta. I am planning to playthrough the whole DMC series, but I hear the 2nd entry in the series is terrible. Should I skip this one? Is it important to the story? Thanks.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

It's hard to say if DMC2 isn't important to the story because there's never been a game set after it, the official timeline as of right now is 3 > 1 > 4 > 2. For a long time Capcom just wanted to try and pretend it never happened by never having to acknowledge it in the story. Popular theory is that DMC5 is going to finally take place after 2, but we don't actually know that for sure at this point. There's only like 30 minutes of cutscenes in DMC2 though, so you could easily just watch it on YouTube or read the plot summary on Wikipedia after you finish DMC1. (Also don't play in timeline order by the way, the mechanics heavily improve with each game with the exception of 2, and even that added a lot of stuff that would reappear in a much more polished state in 3)

As for whether to play it or not I assume you're gonna get the HD Collection, so you'll own it either way. I'd say give it a shot and see if you can stomach it or not. DMC2 is bad but it's not unplayably broken so much as it's just incredibly boring, which isn't helped by the other playable character (whose story you also need to finish to see the true ending) mostly using the same levels that Dante does. Personally I was only able to finally force myself through it with the recent PC collection, and only because I'm so invested in the series at this point that I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Just make sure you look up how the controls work because they're very different from every other game in the series.

thelastgogeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By thelastgogeta

I'd usually recommend playing an entire series of related games in order, especially if the only way to get other games has the black sheep included but Devil May Cry 2 isn't just bad but depressing enough that you may as well skip it.

It added nothing story-wise worth noting whether we count it alone or it next to other games which could have taken the chance to reference aside from Dante being so out of character that the timeline has avoided addressing it.

The timeline for the games is 3 > 1 > 4 > 5 >< 2.

(It is unclear whether 5 is set before or after 2)

The 3rd game was before the first and actually makes the first more compelling due to great writing. The 4th game takes a lot of notes from what the 3rd set up as well besides being a foundation which this game isn't ignoring.

It is possible that an enemy or character from DMC2 might show up, but you can return to DMC2 when you have the time after all of the others.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I always had a real hard time with this series originally because DMC 1 kicked my ass back in the day. I played some of 4 once, it seemed more modern where I could definitely die but also just getting hit didn't seem to be basically death like it did in 1. I love the black sheep DmC and want to go back myself to the numbered entries but I always get stopped because I want to play 1 but...don't...want to.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I can't join the "DMC2 is a bad game" bandwagon since I've both played and know about worse games. But I can agree in that it is the low point of the series, that the story is pretty forgettable, and that most of it's gameplay mechanics are rough; most of which were ironed out in DMC3. I just went through the ten-ish hour Dante campaign and called it a day back in the late PS2 days (so give or take a few hours since I haven't played the game in about ten years), so that's my recommendation on the basis on playing through a series in release order. And who knows? You might also appreciate what it tried to do when playing the games that came after it.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Play it and if you're having a terrible time skip it. It's a mediocre game but it's worth seeing for yourself. I doubt Capcom will acknowledge 2 in DMC 5. (although I hope they do)

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hard pass for me, but I agree that it's not an abomination.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nicksmi56

I'm in the same boat as you, and I've decided to play through 2 when I eventually get to the HD Collection in my backlog because I own it anyway, so why not? Even if it isn't important to the story, I still wanna see for myself whether it's a good game or not. As much as the internet can be a place of positivity and community, it can also be a place of extreme pettiness and groupthink, and I know for sure that I've had my games that I totally disagree with popular opinion about.

So I'm going to decide for myself, and if I don't enjoy it, I don't enjoy it. It happens. And if I do enjoy it, then hey, I just got to play a good game, which is always a positive in my book.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 58

DMC 2 deserves its reputation as being terrible and exceptionally dull. It’s probably one of the worst games I’ve played to completion, but it’s at least mercifully short (like 6-7 hours for both stories) if you have as much morbid curiosity as I did when I played it a few years ago. You can snooze your way through most of the game by jumping backwards and shooting Dante’s guns over and over again, so it’s certainly not difficult.

I’m also of the opinion that the first game is more than a little rough, though it’s at least an interesting history lesson if you want to see some of those Resident Evil roots in the series’ lineage. Just be warned that it’s a PS2 game from 2001 in both function and form and I’ve never been able to make myself get through it.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@nicksmi56: When is playing a good game not a good thing?

Thanks for the answers guys, I'll cop the HD collection and try it out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.