Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Devil's Third

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Aug 04, 2015

An action game by Valhalla Game Studios, headed by ex-Tecmo producer Tomonobu Itagaki. It was published by Nintendo as a Wii U exclusive.

Devils Third Launch Trailer: Awful or Awesome, Can't Decide!

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Hi there! So, last time I created a thread about this game, I said I thought it looked kind of okay after a horrendous showing last year. Since then previews have made it sound like the game is indeed plain awful, and I figured it had personally put any hope I had for this game to rest.

But then I saw this launch trailer...and I don't know, guys. I mean. It looks awful. But it also kind of looks awesome in its awfulness! I'd probably be crazy to pick this up on launch, and so I'll likely refrain from doing so, but it looks kind of like there's enough of the right kind of awfulness that appeals to me in here that I want to buy it. >_<

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Is there some awe, or is it full of awe? Guess we'll find out.

Action Games Guru

Goddammit. The awe is getting fuller and fuller.

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Lazyimperial

Wow, I'm glad that Nintendo decided to publish this in North America after all. It'd be a shame if our continent missed out on such delightful looking idiocy. I'm intrigued. This looks tacky and crazy in all the right / wrong ways. :-D

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By bicycleham

This kind of looks straight up bad. Like, inappreciably bad.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The gameplay videos I've seen have looked like bargain bin quality. Definitely waiting for a lot of impressions before I even think about picking this up. I can appreciate dumb stuff, but this just looks regular terrible.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What the hell is up with that online mode? I guess it's intriguing, but even the best of games don't try that type of stuff in their online modes. Hope it's fantastic, but I fear it's just wasted development time.

I'd be okay with a new action game, but if I didn't play Bayonetta, I'm pretty sure I won't play this.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#8  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Listen Nintendo, I know you're desperate for non-Nintendo exclusives, but just because it's an action game that no one else wanted doesn't mean it's gonna turn out like Bayonetta 2.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GunstarRed

I feel like I need someone to stop me from buying this.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

It looks like the sort of game that, if handled by someone who has the capability to understand a little subtlety, could be used to act as a form of satire... or something. Probably wouldn't help the gameplay any, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It looks like it would be fun as a campy $20 budget title. $60 Though? Nah.

Avatar image for shadowknight508
    ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By ShadowKnight508

Wow...it's like a tale of two games. A train-wreck looking single player game packaged together with a decent/somewhat promising multiplayer mode that could be it's own separate game. I could understand if the price was no higher than $30 dollars but full retail for this game? I'll be passing on this game, since I don't play Wii U games online and the single-player aspect of Devil's Third looks terrible from everything I watch and everything I read regarding the game.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Is this actually coming out in the US?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

It looks bad; really bad, like Alex Navarro bad...

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks like it would be fun as a campy $20 budget title. $60 Though? Nah.

Yeah, pretty much. I'm just digging all of the ridiculous campiness, and kind of want to pick it up for that. It certainly doesn't look like it's worth picking up at full price.

@yummylee said:

It looks like the sort of game that, if handled by someone who has the capability to understand a little subtlety, could be used to act as a form of satire... or something. Probably wouldn't help the gameplay any, though.

It's a rare thing, but sometimes something bad comes along that manages to be enjoyable for its badness (such as Need for Speed Most Wanted - though it helps that the actual game there was good), and a sense of intent or satire might ruin that. I don't know that Devil's Third will manage to deliver on that good kind of bad with its story/characters, but I'm just kind of sensing that potential in it. That's what's really appealing to me right now.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is one of those games that you need to play to measure the gameplay mechanics and see if they are fun, boring or broken.

I think that Itagaki's team could've made it look better and more attractive but Nintendo didn't give them the support they needed.

Too bad that this is going to be another victim of wiiU faliure.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't realize this game even still existed. And also...yikes.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LeStephan

Too me it definitely looks awsomely awfull, cant wait. + I cant resist this america filtered trough japanese feverdream stuff that japanese people are able to come up with.

I even have a pre order for it hahaha(doesnt cost anything here and you can cancel anytime you want)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Based on gameplay footage, it's a technical nightmare. It looked like it was running at 20 FPS for the majority of the time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.