Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo II

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 29, 2000

The sequel to Blizzard's popular action-RPG features a larger and more varied world, new playable classes, and expanded skill trees. Even moreso than its predecessor, Diablo II would provide a blueprint followed by many later RPGs and action games.

Is it too Late for Me?

Wolfrum_920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wolfrum_920

Hello fellow duders.

Just as a bit of back story, i currently find myself without a solid gaming PC for a least a few months. I am slightly annoyed by this, as i can no longer play LoL, but, anyway, i do, however, have a fairly decent laptop. With all this talk of Diablo 3, thanks to the beta, i have considered picking up a copy of 2 on the cheap. My question is, is it too late to play this game? It seems to me a large component of the game was the multiplayer, and I have no idea if the game is any good as a single player, or if ppl even still PLAY the multiplayer.

Thanks for the help guys!

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MrKlorox

I always preferred playing in singleplayer. There's nothing wrong with doing that way (except for grinding, ugh). As far as I'm concerned, Diablo 2 is as important for people to play as Super Mario Brothers when trying to take in gaming and learning its history.

Avatar image for deactivated-63cabd6b28362
    deactivated-63cabd6b28362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

If you can have a connection to the internet play it multiplayer but just make your game private. That way if you want to play multiplayer (if people are still playing, which they probably are) you can without having to roll a new character. I think it's going to feel a little stale if you've played WoW at all, since a lot of the ideas have been heavily iterated on, but it's still a super fun game.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By FateOfNever

Nope, I wouldn't say it's too late. The singleplayer is still solid. I just recently played through acts 1-4 as a Paladin, actually. And the multiplayer is still pretty active from my understanding. Though, unless you get just a casual group together of people you know are friendly, I wouldn't play with randoms. It was unfortunately pretty easy to grief other people in D2 from what I remember. And multiplayer and single player are really the same game, just one gives you the added benefit of not playing the game along by yourself, otherwise, same content.

If you do get into the game though, I warn you to either play with someone that can help advise you on ability specc'ing or look some up yourself, because it makes a world of difference if you actually are able to focus your abilities properly vs just putting points randomly in things that look cool.

Edit: Heck, if you really wanted to play multiplayer, I bet you could even find people in the GB community that would be up for playing.

Wolfrum_920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Wolfrum_920

@FateOfNever: Cool. Anywhere in particular you`d suggest for finding specs?

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By onarum

Anyone that says the game is only playable multiplayer is an idiot, SP is still awesome and more challenging since you are by yourself, also yeah you should totally get it because even today it still holds up incredibly well, one of the best games of all time.

edit: though if you want I would totally play through some of the campaign with you, I love that game man.

edit2: don't forget to get the LoD expansion as well.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Stete

its NEVER too late to play Diablo II, also do not forget do pick up the expansion pack as wel because it adds SOOOO much stuff to an already awesome game.

Wolfrum_920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Wolfrum_920

@onarum: @Stete: Good point. Thanks guys! I just had a thought. Does it even run on Windows 7? :p

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By onarum
    @Wolfrum_920 said:

@onarum: @Stete: Good point. Thanks guys! I just had a thought. Does it even run on Windows 7? :p

yep, runs perfectly.
    FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FateOfNever

@Wolfrum_920: I think (but don't hold me to it if I'm wrong), this place has a lot of builds and what not. I think it's where I looked up several when I was deciding what to play through as next.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By onarum
    @FateOfNever said:

@Wolfrum_920: I think (but don't hold me to it if I'm wrong), this place has a lot of builds and what not. I think it's where I looked up several when I was deciding what to play through as next.

Imo you shouldn't need to worry about builds and whatnots on your first playthrough, just do what you feel like doing, I remember my first ever D2 character was a necromancer, I had no idea what I was doing so I kept spending points in all skill trees to experiment, I kinda messed him up but managed to finish the normal campaign by myself just fine, the end (and effin Duriel of course) were crazy challenging, but I had a whole lot of fun as well.
    Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Eurobum

To play D2 you'll need the expansion too, because it raises the resolution of the old game to the more tolerable 800x600.

That said D2 is active still, there is to this day trading going on on all the realms. (d2jsp.org) although the core game is played mostly by bots, or temporarily by relapsing addicts. Most of online activity is focused on PvP for those who remain.

The downside is that diablo really doesn't enough information on how all those stats work, learning it will take too much time - to be worth it this day and age.

In short: Don't do it.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By onarum
    @Eurobum said:

To play D2 you'll need the expansion too, because it raises the resolution of the old game to the more tolerable 800x600.

That said D2 is active still, there is to this day trading going on on all the realms. (d2jsp.org) although the core game is played mostly played by bots, or temporarily by relapsing addicts the game is focused on PvP for those who remain.

The downside is that diablo really provides not enough information on how all those stats work, learning it will take too much time, to be worth it this day and age.

In Short. Don't do it.

Again, the first time I (and many others) played the game I had no idea of any stupid builds or OCD ways of playing the game, I just did what I felt like doing, beat the game and had tons of fun at it, besides I think that the stats are pretty self explanatory, I mean you don't really need to be a rocket scientist to figure that more strength equals higher damage.

Anyone that hasn't played it should, to see what gaming was when you actually had to experiment and learn things instead of having everything served to you on a silver platter while someone holds your hand every inch of the way.
    Dunchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dunchad

I just bought D2 and the expansion again because I wanted to revisit it before D3. Closing in on the end of Act 1 and so far I'm really enjoying it (playing it online, by creating passworded games for myself).

The custscenes will have lost their impact though - they were amazing back in the day, but seeing them now for the first time probably won't be very mindblowing. :)

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Stete said:

its NEVER too late to play Diablo II, also do not forget do pick up the expansion pack as wel because it adds SOOOO much stuff to an already awesome game.

This. 

Also, plenty of people still playing it online.
    Avatar image for ultimatepunchrod
    ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By ultimatepunchrod

i have never played multiplayer and i love that game. it's so good regardless of online. it's never too late.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Marz

Just play it, it's really fun solo if you can't find anyone playing multiplayer.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By YoungFrey

I went back to D2 a few weeks ago and was bored to tears.  It was just really slow and dull.  But Blizzard still knows how to make a game, so I have no big worries about D3.
    Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Maluvin

It's fun solo. I didn't get into the multiplayer until much much later.

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Quacktastic

It's one of the best games ever made and tons of people still play.  I can't imagine playing singleplayer and getting very deep, I wouldn't recommend it.  Don't stick your toe in, just dive, play on battlenet.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Play it, beat it, and have fun.

Play it again, hack the fuck out of your character and murder everything on the map with a single click. More fun.

I played about 30 minutes of MP with my buddy when it came out. The lag was so terrible that we gave up and I never looked back at MP again.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Maluvin

Last time I played multiplayer there was quite a bit of sell spam. If I was running through for the first time I wouldn't want to see that personally.

Truitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Truitt

The game still holds up amazingly well, and is really a joy to play over and over again. The higher difficulty levels are seriously challenging, and the classes all play in incredibly different ways.

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Aetos

The graphics may not have aged well, but the game play is as good as ever. It is easily one of the best games ever and a must play.

Be warned. The game can get quite addicting though. Gotta get all that loot!

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FateOfNever

@onarum: You may be right, and it isn't nearly as bad as it was back when the game launched, back when if you made a bad character the only way to fix it was to start from scratch again, but at least one reason I suggest it is that people are used to games, I think, where you pick an ability and then you have easy access to it. So if a game gave you, say, 10 abilities, you would have some relatively easy way to get to all of them and use them all somewhat equally. That's not the case in D2. Switching between abilities is often a pain in the ass, and while the experimenting thing is kind of fun (my first two characters I beat the game on I just put points into what looked good and useful) by the end I still looked at my ability sheet and sighed looking at the tons of wasted points.

If you'd rather not straight up follow a guide, there is something of a guideline - pick just a couple of abilities that you think look cool and try to focus on those and whatever might give them synergy bonuses. This still means you have to spend points to get down as far as those abilities are, but it doesn't tell you specifically "these are the best abilities in the game."

You can certainly beat the game not following any kind of build or anything, especially now with the one respec per difficulty, but it does make it considerably harder. For example, when Rorie said on the D3 Beta Quick Look that Duriel was one of the worst bosses in the game, I laughed a little bit as my Zeal focused Paladin wrecked Duriel like he was nothing; stood toe-to-toe with him and I don't even think I used more than 4 potions while fighting him. While I've certainly had other characters fight Duriel and it's a fucking mess of trying to do as much damage to him before I die or can make it back through a town portal back to safety before rinsing and repeating. Not that that wasn't fun in its own way though.

So, I certainly suppose there is some merit to just diving into the game and not bothering with trying to focus your character at all, but, I do think it at least warrants noting that doing so will certainly make the game considerably harder.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By onarum
    @FateOfNever: I just think that the notion of a game where you HAVE to follow a guide or plan a "build" before hand is way more prone to turning someone away from said game than the difficulty that diving headfirst into it would bring.

And I gotta say man, that first necro of mine was as fun and ridiculous as it could possibly get, hell even andariel was a fucking nightmare for me, I had to resort to throwing those exploding potions at her then running back to the town to buy some more, at the end of the game (hell that is, I finished D2 for the first time before LoD was out) I was running around holding a freaking great axe just because I thought it looked cool, let alone the fact that it was totally worthless wielded by an necro, and the only way I managed to beat Diablo was to keep trapping him into that bone cage spell then using that bone spike/spear thing to ever so gently bring his HP to 0.

And that was a major part of the fun I had with it, having to figure out my own strategies to deal with the situations I myself created for not knowing any better, and somehow I feel that it was way more fun that way than it would have been if I had followed some guide or being too strict about my choices.

also 

@Wolfrum_920: D2 with LoD is already installed and ready to go in case you wanna do some coop.
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By project343

I tried playing Diablo II roughly 2 years ago. I couldn't. There are certain QA failures that put me off of the game severely. It has a way of shitting all over your confidence regularly. Preferred Titan Quest, TBH.

chazaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By chazaid

i usually play multiplayer with randoms not that hard to get into a game but singleplayer is just as fun if not rewarding cause you do it by yourself

Bankrotas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bankrotas

This game is bet in LAN, not on ladder, while getting wasted with friends. If you have no friends... s2bu

wicked_wumpus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By wicked_wumpus

@chazaid: I don't think I ever actually played D2 online. Mostly just soloed but when I like the connectivity that comes with D3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.