Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 15, 2012

Diablo III returns to the world of Sanctuary twenty years after the events of Diablo II with a new generation of heroes that must defeat the demonic threat from Hell.

Any word on controller support?

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Stahlbrand

I remember them mentioning this was something they were playing with at Blizzard before the first beta.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind being able to lean back a little.

Does anybody know if controller support is implemented/expected?

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ShadowSkill11

Eww... why? Anyways, it's a computer game. Download some keyboard to controller mapping shareware from somewhere.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ninjakiller

@Stahlbrand said:

I remember them mentioning this was something they were playing with at Blizzard before the first beta.

No Caption Provided
    NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By NickL

Not naturally. If they end up making that console game though, I wouldn't be surprised if we see it in the future.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Hope so. Ill take controller over KB\M in any single player game. BF3 and COH on the other hand no fucking way.

Gilsham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Gilsham

there are skills in D3 that require you to target them not at an enemy to use correctly (barb leap), I don't think there is a quick way you could use these with a controller, if anything I;d say Blizzard might make a spin off game for the console which is more like other character action games (DMC, Bayonetta)

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dany

HAH, good one OP!

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Marz
    Blannir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Blannir

Can someone explain to me why people are so anti controller when it comes to Diablo and think it impossible to play without a keyboard and mouse? Champions of Norrath and Dark Alliance among others are basically Diablo for consoles and play perfectly fine.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Gilsham said:

there are skills in D3 that require you to target them not at an enemy to use correctly (barb leap), I don't think there is a quick way you could use these with a controller

I dunno. Couldn't you aim in the direction with the thumbstick and have it auto select the enemy? Maybe give priority to the more powerful enemy in a group? Or perhaps snap it to the further away enemy if you push the stick all the way to the side, and closer enemies if you push a little bit.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xyzygy

@Stahlbrand: I remember Blizzard was saying back when they were mentioning the possibility of a console release that the game felt great on a controller. So it's out there somewhere. I personally hated the constant clicking I did in D2 and my finger got tired. There isn't much to the controls of a Diablo game, just map some skill to buttons or use LT/RT/RB/LB to bring up a menu including more mappings.

@Gilsham said:

there are skills in D3 that require you to target them not at an enemy to use correctly (barb leap), I don't think there is a quick way you could use these with a controller, if anything I;d say Blizzard might make a spin off game for the console which is more like other character action games (DMC, Bayonetta)

Maybe hold the button down and aim, then let go? It wouldn't be too hard to implement.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NickL

@Blannir said:

Can someone explain to me why people are so anti controller when it comes to Diablo and think it impossible to play without a keyboard and mouse? Champions of Norrath and Dark Alliance among others are basically Diablo for consoles and play perfectly fine.

Those are pc gamers. They aren't happy about anything usually.

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Stahlbrand

@xyzygy said:

@Stahlbrand: I remember Blizzard was saying back when they were mentioning the possibility of a console release that the game felt great on a controller. So it's out there somewhere. I personally hated the constant clicking I did in D2 and my finger got tired. There isn't much to the controls of a Diablo game, just map some skill to buttons or use LT/RT/RB/LB to bring up a menu including more mappings.

@Gilsham said:

Maybe hold the button down and aim, then let go? It wouldn't be too hard to implement.

Thanks, at least somebody remembers what I'm talking about.

And as for why I'd play with a controller - I'm enjoying D3, but the game has a kinda hypnotic effect on me when I'm tired, and the lean-in KB/M posture gets uncomfortable when I'm nappish, so I end getting more fatigued. This means its time to stop playing, where otherwise I could just plug in a controller and lean back.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I play computer games to relax. Maybe you're all 'serious business' with your 'clicking on things till they drop loot', but I'm just looking to unwind. The whole reaction jpeg response to somebody mentioning controllers in a PC discussion is funny, but not in the way you're thinking when you post them.

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Torchlight on 360 played well enough, if they did that for Diablo 3 I'd love to play. Personally never liked the click, click, click movement of Diablo games, is there something wrong with WASD?

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By gamefreak9

If they do that then they might as well release it on consoles. If that's confirmed then I expect we can see controller support soon.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bell_End

with the invention of 'wireless' keyboards and mice. and mice that will work on any surface you no longer have to sit at a desk.

i for instance lay on my sofa with a keyboard on my chest and a mouse on a cushion. works PERFECTLY. i played D3 for about 4 hours that way last night on my 46" TV.

in fact i don't even own a desk.

Avatar image for phantomgardener
    PhantomGardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PhantomGardener

I don't see how anyone would play Diablo III with a controller.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ravenlight

@Stahlbrand said:

I'm pretty sure that Blizz has more recently stated that they have no immediate plans to implement controller support. But that doesn't mean you can't roll your own.

You could probably use xpadder or something and map mouse movement to a thumbstick and use A as left-click. Skills on the D-pad or whatevs.

That setup would probably get you through Normal playing as a melee character but I'm not sure if you'd need finer control for harder difficulties. If anyone ends up trying something like this, please post!

Darkenmal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Darkenmal

Controllers? In a Diablo game?

No Caption Provided
    Gilsham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gilsham

@MrKlorox said:

@Gilsham said:

there are skills in D3 that require you to target them not at an enemy to use correctly (barb leap), I don't think there is a quick way you could use these with a controller

I dunno. Couldn't you aim in the direction with the thumbstick and have it auto select the enemy? Maybe give priority to the more powerful enemy in a group? Or perhaps snap it to the further away enemy if you push the stick all the way to the side, and closer enemies if you push a little bit.

The problem is I don;t only use it as an attack and the DH has a skill Vault which is the same where the landing spot being away from enemies is very important, I mena I used to be pretty stupid and though it was ridiculous to even think about it but as long as I can play how I like there really is no point to limiting how others can play it, and with the low amount of skills you can have at a time it would work fine, though they would need a little bit of snapping on the menus playing Tera with a controller I found myself switching back to the mouse to accept quest and use my inventory etc

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
    SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love how all the smart arses in this thread just got totally burnt.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22  Edited By buft

We currently have no plans to support controllers for the PC version, which was designed with mouse and keyboard in mind. The same logic applies to the console: The PS3 & Xbox 360 version of Diablo III was specifically tailored to be played with a controller and does not support mouse and keyboard controls.

this is a quote from ulvaroth, a blizzard employee. gamepad support not coming

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#23  Edited By DJJoeJoe

I want the control/tweaks from the console version... but with my PC driving the game's performance... SO badly... but people who want things like this are in seemingly the smallest minority, and aren't usually vocal about stuff (cause we tend to love things, not hate things).

I'm sitting here playing the 360 demo and loving basically all the changes and additions they've made to help the game work and to make it way more streamlined for use with a controller, but I'm sad that I played the PC version and know the game can look SO much more stunning at my monitor's native resolution :(

Wish there was a discount for the console versions if you already own the PC version, that's crazy I guess though :)

No Caption Provided

PS: Pressing UP on the d-pad to cycle through recent loot items and seeing prompts under it to equip, drop etc is genius and it's the reason I prefer this type of control over this type of game. Torchlight on 360 was equally thrilling to play compared to just fuckin' clickin' a mouse for hours :S

danmcn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anything they got proven right lol. They thinned the mobs out. There was no way you could have played Diablo 3 PC with a controller back when this thread was released. People couldn't even get through inferno with mouse/keyboard.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
    SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SarcasticMudcrab

@danmcn12: Fair enough. I still think isometric games like this work great on a pad, necessary tweaks aside.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.