Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 15, 2012

Diablo III returns to the world of Sanctuary twenty years after the events of Diablo II with a new generation of heroes that must defeat the demonic threat from Hell.

Diablo 3 Open beta

• 174 results
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

@phrosnite: Titan Quest felt like a cheap clone to me, all the way through.
    Sure it was fun but I forgot it existed until I read about it here again...Diablo 2 on the other hand was a lot more fun to me and I loved the series ever since.

Opinions.
    zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 18

#152  Edited By zor

Well, one bright side of these queues is that it will hopefully convince blizzard that having an always online drm scheme is hurtful to the player base (in the sense that users will not like it if they can't play because of server issues (later on, when the game comes out, not during the beta))

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#153  Edited By pr1mus

@phrosnite said:

@gamefreak9: Yeah, dream on fanboy.

Up until that, people on each sides had politely stated their opinions as to why they prefer one game or the other and then you resorted to call the other a fanboy.

You managed to lose an argument that shouldn't even be possible to lose since it's all a matter of personal preferences. Congratulation.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#154  Edited By phrosnite

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@phrosnite: Titan Quest felt like a cheap clone to me, all the way through. Sure it was fun but I forgot it existed until I read about it here again...Diablo 2 on the other hand was a lot more fun to me and I loved the series ever since. Opinions.

I remember trying Diablo 2 with a friend back in 2003-2004 and not liking it. Then after 300 hours of Dungeon Siege 2 and 130 of Titan Quest + exp I went back and finished Diablo 2. It felt like total crap. One of the few games I regret playing. But that's not the worst part. A few years later I couldn't remember anything of my D2 playthrough so I decided to replay it. Big mistake. Now... I have forgotten most of that game, again.

Opinions.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@phrosnite:  Glad you got what I meant.
    HarkinNecro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By HarkinNecro

its diablo alright, managed to get 3 hours in from 6am to 9am this morning UK time. I tried the wizard, monk and demon hunter. It plays like diablo, it looks like diablo and feels like diablo. It seems to me that blizzard have played it safe and stuck with the same formula as the other 2. Some of the animations I liked, some of the monsters were interesting, but it doesn't do anything too new. Its as if they were trying to not offend anyone who liked the others by not pushing the genre. I'm not saying its a bad game, but compared to WoW, which at the time, was ground braking for the genre, this doesn't push it at all. But hey ho, as has been stated, its just in beta.

Now where did I put that auto fire buttoned mouse.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#157  Edited By gamefreak9

@phrosnite said:

Why am I a fanboy? I'm a real RPG person... Titan quest didn't go anywhere... a copy that didn't do anything better and forced you down a certain path... not to mention unbearable skill CD... that lightning bolt and its extra AOE effect capped out was such an underwhelming thing it made me drop the whole character entirely and there goes my 20 hours, that won't happen with D3.

sworen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#158  Edited By sworen

@phrosnite said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@phrosnite: Titan Quest felt like a cheap clone to me, all the way through. Sure it was fun but I forgot it existed until I read about it here again...Diablo 2 on the other hand was a lot more fun to me and I loved the series ever since. Opinions.

I remember trying Diablo 2 with a friend back in 2003-2004 and not liking it. Then after 300 hours of Dungeon Siege 2 and 130 of Titan Quest + exp I went back and finished Diablo 2. It felt like total crap. One of the few games I regret playing. But that's not the worst part. A few years later I couldn't remember anything of my D2 playthrough so I decided to replay it. Big mistake. Now... I have forgotten most of that game, again.

Opinions.

You seem like such a rare case. Perhaps you could provide descriptions on why you liked Titan Quest so much comparatively? Was it something with the art, or the combination of the different skill trees? I'm curious what caused this reaction. I know what soured me on Titan Quest was that despite all the top edges graphics, and the multitude of different monsters you fight, they were all basically the same. They just ran and attacked at you, only the bosses differentiated themselves. I also felt the loot system was poorly handled, despite the tons of loot that dropped, you hardly ever get upgrades in your equipment.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By phrosnite

@gamefreak9 said:

@phrosnite said:

Why am I a fanboy? I'm a real RPG person... Titan quest didn't go anywhere... a copy that didn't do anything better and forced you down a certain path... not to mention unbearable skill CD... that lightning bolt and its extra AOE effect capped out was such an underwhelming thing it made me drop the whole character entirely and there goes my 20 hours, that won't happen with D3.

Talking about restrictions... My brother likes fire so he made a wizard in Diablo 3 and started playing... He got to level 4 and after seeing that the skill he unlocked was ice wall or something... and you know what he did? Alt + F4. Diablo 3 feels like a game for idiots. You(dev) won't let me pick and choose skill? You are going to unlock the skills you've decided are best for my experience?

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By gamefreak9

@phrosnite said:

@gamefreak9 said:

@phrosnite said:

Talking about restrictions... My brother likes fire so he made a wizard in Diablo 3 and started playing... He got to level 4 and after seeing that the skill he unlocked was ice wall or something... and you know what he did? Alt + F4. Diablo 3 feels like a game for idiots. You(dev) won't let me pick and choose skill? You are going to unlock the skills you've decided are best for my experience?

that's not a restriction... they just want you to know what gameplay you like. For instance in D2 how would you know which spell you would like if you've never tried it before? Do you have to get a character to level 30 with one point in everything to see what you like and then restart the game with a new char? You CAN make a fire mage and it won't suck, you CAN make melee fighter sorceress and it won't suck... which is more than I can say for Titan quest... there's builds that do straight up less damage and are useless... but you can't know that until you try them... which means pointless time sink.

Edit: most importantly... unlike most RPG's where I have faith that developers don't make things balanced and BS most of the way, I didn't feel the need to go look up any builds online. Which hasn't happened in forever, and I don't feel punished for not doing so!

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@phrosnite: I felt like this was done to expose you to the skills early on. Later in the game, you'll be able to assign all your points where ever you want and create very specific custom builds, but I thought the way D3 handles the skill system was a really good way of teaching you everything and showing how they can be combined with other skills. I don't think there was any dumbing down, to be honest. Just look at D2, you were locked into whatever you picked, and had to rely on FAQs or trial and error to know what everything did. Everything in D3 just felt stream lined and polished to near perfection.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By phrosnite

@gamefreak9: That is just bad game design. Every RPG should have a skill reset. Titan Quest had it, and Dungeo Siege 2 got it with the expansion. That is the right way to try everything you want. D3 is doing it wrong.

Also in Titan Quest the ice sharp sorceres was totally overpowered(you still could die) and super fun to play(yes, I like ice). In Diablo 2 ice mage and any other class for that matter was super boring because the game was sooooooooo easy. The game throwing 1-2 hit kills at you all the time. What? Do they expect me to finish it and start on the newly unlocked harder difficulty to have fun? After 20 hours! What is this? FF13? No, thank you.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#163  Edited By StarvingGamer

@gamefreak9: Give up! Don't try to use logic! You should have realized that anyone trying to defend the skill system in Titan Quest can't be reasoned with.

EDIT: I mean fuck, I was super hyped for Titan Quest from day one but they totally fucked that shit with 99.9% useless skills/builds.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@phrosnite: It's already been said, but the Diablo 3 beta is running on easy mode. It's a beta, for testing aspects of the game. It's not a demo or a finished product you're supposed to be judging.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By gamefreak9

@phrosnite said:

@gamefreak9: That is just bad game design. Every RPG should have a skill reset. Titan Quest had it, and Dungeo Siege 2 got it with the expansion. That is the right way to try everything you want. D3 is doing it wrong.

Also in Titan Quest the ice sharp sorceres was totally overpowered(you still could die) and super fun to play(yes, I like ice). In Diablo 2 ice mage and any other class for that matter was super boring because the game was sooooooooo easy. The game throwing 1-2 hit kills at you all the time. What? Do they expect me to finish it and start on the newly unlocked harder difficulty to have fun? After 20 hours! What is this? FF13? No, thank you.

So your suggesting that you should skill reset(with the cost incurred with it in TQ) a couple of times until you get it right? Why not force the player to make any choice and have his optimal play style come out naturally? And also having a skill reset system IS PARADOXICAL TO ACTUALLY CHOOSING. What's the point of choosing if you can take back your choice? D3 is ingenius, the player doesn't have to choose at all, he can just use what he likes, but he already has everything. Um In diablo 2 you could rush through things, if I wasn't feeling challenged I would just stop fully exploring and push on, I actually killed Baal at level 26 because of the way I was playing, so everything was super hard.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By phrosnite

@WinterSnowblind said:

@phrosnite: It's already been said, but the Diablo 3 beta is running on easy mode. It's a beta, for testing aspects of the game. It's not a demo or a finished product you're supposed to be judging.

What year are you living in? You are lying to yourself if you think the game won't be easy on normal difficulty(retail game). Also give that "beta bla bla" crap to someone else. I've been in more betas than you can imagine.

So... let's end this. There is no reasoning with you guys.

P.S. - My last post for the next 24 hours. I bid you adieu.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Subjugation

@WinterSnowblind: I got your back bro! I don't know if this was posted in the thread yet, but just in case, for @phrosnite:

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@phrosnite: We don't know how much of a difficulty increase there will be between the different difficulty settings, I'm not pretending it's definitely going to be rock hard on the normal setting.. but Blizzard typically has pretty steep inclines with their difficulty settings, I mean, have you even played Diablo 2?

My point was that they're testing game servers, skill balance and bugs, not the difficulty of the game. It's purposefully set to easy to allow players to get through it multiple times. If you've been in that many beta's, this should be obvious and you shouldn't be making such a big deal about it.

owack6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#169  Edited By owack6

The biggest reason Diablo is the best game in this genre is just satisfaction in the combat the sound design and the monster animation when you down them is unparalleled, and stuff like this takes time to develop exactly why no company has even come close to the re playability of diablo 2.

Titan quest just felt stale when it came out, it wasn't doing anything new with its design in fact it looked exactly like Diablo, but it just didn't have anything memorable about it.

I think the only reason people have fond memories of it is no one makes those types of games anymore.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#170  Edited By Seppli

How anybody can say Diablo 3 is/looks/plays worse than Titan Quest is beyond me. Other than that general annotation...

I am amazed at how many different random side quests and events I ran into. Totally awesome that is. Four playthroughs, and each had its unique little highlights.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Questionable

@Subjugation said:

@WinterSnowblind: I got your back bro! I don't know if this was posted in the thread yet, but just in case, for @phrosnite:

Right so i have never played a diablo game before but that video makes it sound like instead of actually making the game more challenging with more aggressive AI and new moves they just take the lazy way out and ramp up the damage to 1hit KO levels. geez id wish more game took the Bayoneta route.

It really feels like developers take the Derp Derp approach when they only increase the damage and health pools. there are so many mechanics at work that they could have spiced it up with.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#172  Edited By Tennmuerti

Well i installed the GB client since i'm in the eu and it's giving me the 3003 error.
    When setting it to the Americas (lol) i get either a error 37 servers are busy
    Or error 315300 login is incorrect. Even tho the exact same account and password work just fine to login to battlenet through the browser.

Any help?

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By spartanlolz92

@Questionable said:

@Subjugation said:

Right so i have never played a diablo game before but that video makes it sound like instead of actually making the game more challenging with more aggressive AI and new moves they just take the lazy way out and ramp up the damage to 1hit KO levels. geez id wish more game took the Bayoneta route.

It really feels like developers take the Derp Derp approach when they only increase the damage and health pools. there are so many mechanics at work that they could have spiced it up with.

not true there are enemies in the harder difficulties that never spawn on normal and they add new spells and attacks to the monsters aswell.

plus they are far far more agressive

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#174  Edited By Draxyle

@Tennmuerti said:

Well i installed the GB client since i'm in the eu and it's giving me the 3003 error. When setting it to the Americas (lol) i get either a error 37 servers are busy Or error 315300 login is incorrect. Even tho the exact same account and password work just fine to login to battlenet through the browser. Any help?

The servers went down just a little while ago, not sure the reason.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#175  Edited By OldGuy

...and, for the record, "magic pants" makes me laugh every time. :-)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.