Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 15, 2012

Diablo III returns to the world of Sanctuary twenty years after the events of Diablo II with a new generation of heroes that must defeat the demonic threat from Hell.

diablo 3: worth it, or a waste of money??

LilGamerrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LilGamerrr

what do you think? (only if you own the game please) its like $80 at the shop, and i dont know about paying 80 bucks for a game i might not even like.. from what ive read, people say its hard to get decent drops, and the best items cost real $ on the new real dollars auction house.. i dont wanna buy a game for 80 bucks and i have to pay more for upgrades. i also saw people with complaints about lag? im not sure if thats just their computers or what, but i obviously want the game to work, i've checked the spec on the website and my com hardware isnt listed. So now i dont know about buying the game with all these issues etc.

so what do u think??

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Grissefar

You can always download the game and try it out on another persons account.

zels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By zels

@LilGamerrr said:

what do you think? (only if you own the game please) its like $80 at the shop, and i dont know about paying 80 bucks for a game i might not even like.. from what ive read, people say its hard to get decent drops, and the best items cost real $ on the new real dollars auction house.. i dont wanna buy a game for 80 bucks and i have to pay more for upgrades. i also saw people with complaints about lag? im not sure if thats just their computers or what, but i obviously want the game to work, i've checked the spec on the website and my com hardware isnt listed. So now i dont know about buying the game with all these issues etc.

so what do u think??

IMO waste of cash. Finished it on the first difficulty and got rid of it straight away. It will lag every now and then, but my biggest issues with the game was elsewhere. If you're in it for the loot you'll enjoy it. If you're looking for an interesting story/characters/atmosphere you probably won't be satisfied.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Marz

you don't have to spend a dime on the real money AH, just play the game.. you don't have to worry about the best gear until your on Inferno.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#5  Edited By Kidavenger

This was my first Diablo game, I'm still enjoying it.

You can get through your first play through without needing to buy gear, that's 15-20 hours; that alone was worth it for me everything else now other classes/harder difficulties/coop is bonus.

Post your computer specs, I'll let you know if you are good to run it.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Stete

Depends if you're willing to put up with the always connected bullshit. If you don't mind being always online and hoping the Blizzard servers are not borked when you want to play, then ye go for it, its a really fun game.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Jimbo

Save your money and feel good about yourself.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By haffy

I completed inferno without spending money on the RMAH and so have a lot of other people. I'm actually selling all my gear now because I've started playing hardcore.

Also just find out if you like the genre or not. If you do, it's very likely you'll love the game. If you don't it's going to be pretty easy to hate and find boring.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Its a great fun and diverse game. 
    The classes feel varied and unique, the area's are amazing and the bosses stunning!

Its definitely worth a play through till 60.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Robo

I'll agree that the story is weak and the characters are fairly uninteresting.

But if you're looking for a pretty decent and polished action RPG it's pretty enjoyable for the most part. However, the idea of playing the same game over and over at different difficulties that actually just amount to higher stats for you and your enemies gets kind of old quick these days if you aren't so susceptible to loot lust.

Also the endgame seems markedly less polished. The lazy programming of simply doubling up on enemy damage and health and giving champions and elites an extra enhancement or two quickly becomes frustratingly overpowered in comparison to the gear you can attain at certain points.

The current solution is buying gear on the auction house from later acts--either with large amounts of farmed gold or simply your hard earned cash--to get through the tough early ones (namely Act II of the final difficulty, "inferno"), but that's pretty crappy design at best. The tinfoil hat crowd points to something a little more nefarious on Blizzard's part given the existence of the real money auction house. Either way Blizzard apparently intends to address some of those loot and difficulty curve issues in a patch due out later this month, so we'll see. It could very well be an entirely different experience in a week or two.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By jacdg

@zels said:

@LilGamerrr said:

so what do u think??

IMO waste of cash. Finished it on the first difficulty and got rid of it straight away. It will lag every now and then, but my biggest issues with the game was elsewhere. If you're in it for the loot you'll enjoy it. If you're looking for an interesting story/characters/atmosphere you probably won't be satisfied.

Yep, 15 hours was a fine experience for me, pretty nice co-op experience, but I have no real need to play the game again, maybe I'll try another class, but overall... eh.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Torchlight 2 is $20 and you don't have to worry about constant lag spikes from the "always on" bullshit that comes with D3.

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Eurobum

@Robo said:

The tinfoil hat crowd points to something a little more nefarious on Blizzard's part given the existence of the real money auction house.

Blizzards decision is pretty straight forward, it's a political decision similar to legalizing drugs/gambling. The goal is the near extinction of the black market of item Real Money Trading, the price is the credibility of a company which legitimises gambling, and the price is also higher rates of people who try to make a profit, from what is supposed to be a leisure activity rather than a job.

It's the design of a game that is much more nefarious, by making rewards random and by making the gameplay monotonously compulsive. There is very little difference between virtual rewards, and real rewards in a players mind. It doesn't matter if you pay for them with time or money. The auction house just makes it clear once and for all, that "loot lust for random drops" is nothing other than what people experience at a slot machine, the lottery, pachinko or roulette. Except now Activision / Blizzard is officially taking over the role of a bookie, a profession rightfully considered criminal in some countries or states.

Seriously I probably should write to my parliament representative, considering that that the game is targeted at young people, it could be really interesting and clear cut, much more than violence, misogyny or any other previous attempts to regulate video games.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kidavenger

@Eurobum said:

@Robo said:

The tinfoil hat crowd points to something a little more nefarious on Blizzard's part given the existence of the real money auction house.

Blizzards decision is pretty straight forward, it's a political decision similar to legalizing drugs/gambling. The goal is the near extinction of the black market of item Real Money Trading, the price is the credibility of a company which legitimises gambling, and the price is also higher rates of people who try to make a profit, from what is supposed to be a leisure activity rather than a job.

It's the design of a game that is much more nefarious, by making rewards random and by making the gameplay monotonously compulsive. There is very little difference between virtual rewards, and real rewards in a players mind. It doesn't matter if you pay for them with time or money. The auction house just makes it clear once and for all, that "loot lust for random drops" is nothing other than what people experience at a slot machine, the lottery, pachinko or roulette. Except now Activision / Blizzard is officially taking over the role of a bookie, a profession rightfully considered criminal in some countries or states.

Seriously I probably should write to my parliament representative, considering that that the game is targeted at young people, it could be really interesting and clear cut, much more than violence, misogyny or any other previous attempts to regulate video games.

How is Diablo 3 gambling exactly? Think carefully about what gambling actually is before answering because I assure you that your current imagined definition is wrong.

LilGamerrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LilGamerrr

@Grissefar said:

You can always download the game and try it out on another persons account.

i dun think anyone is going to give me their acc, just seems unlikly..

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LilGamerrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LilGamerrr

@Kidavenger said:

This was my first Diablo game, I'm still enjoying it. You can get through your first play through without needing to buy gear, that's 15-20 hours; that alone was worth it for me everything else now other classes/harder difficulties/coop is bonus. Post your computer specs, I'll let you know if you are good to run it.

i have a laptop idk if it will be able to play it

AMD Dual-core E-450 1.65ghz cpu

win 7 32bit

AMD Radeon HD 6320

2 GB RAM

sawtooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By sawtooth

can't talk now, gotta go play D3

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @LilGamerrr

@Kidavenger said:

This was my first Diablo game, I'm still enjoying it. You can get through your first play through without needing to buy gear, that's 15-20 hours; that alone was worth it for me everything else now other classes/harder difficulties/coop is bonus. Post your computer specs, I'll let you know if you are good to run it.

win 7 32bit

AMD Radeon HD 6320

2 GB RAM

I just sent you a PM with a guest pass. Try it out and see if it works and if you like the game.
    gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By gamefreak9

I have no idea where you pulled out 80 from I recommend you order it from amazon. Its cheaper. Also Yes its a great experience, the challenge doesn't start until nightmare/hell so it def gets challenging. That loot stuff is irrelevant, you don't really need the BEST loot to get thru inferno, and you can easily afford to buy what you need, especially after the next patch(things will get cheaper). I have not used the RMAH yet, though I plan to, not to buy but to make money, it sounds pretty sweet to me. Also this is one of those games your likely to play for awhile, sort of like SC2.

On a sidenote the even the story is good and the characters are cool, its just a shame that its very short(if you exclude the difficulties).

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By BaneFireLord

@LilGamerrr: I've actually been playing D3 on a computer very similar to that (horray for road trips). The experience has been...kind of shitty, to be honest. If you don't mind constant frame rate drops and the occasional slide show when there are a bunch of enemies on the screen, you should be fine.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By iamjohn

@Kidavenger said:

@Eurobum said:

@Robo said:

How is Diablo 3 gambling exactly? Think carefully about what gambling actually is before answering because I assure you that your current imagined definition is wrong.

He's made the same bullshit argument in other Diablo III threads and refused to defend it. I'm pretty sure he knows that it's not gambling and that he sounds really stupid by making this argument, but he's doubling down on it because BLIZZARD IS THE DEVIL AND CORRUPTING OUR CHILDREN WITH THIS NON-ESSENTIAL FEATURE IN A GAME MADE FOR ADULTS OMG.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@Jimbo said:

Save your money and feel good about yourself.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jimbo
    @Kidavenger said:

@Eurobum said:

@Robo said:

It's not gambling exactly, but depending on how the player is interacting with it, it could be considered very close (if they're spending $x on gear in the hope that something worth >$x drops so they can sell it for a profit). It's also fostering and then monetising behavioural addiction, in the same way that gambling monetises the behavioural addiction of compulsive gamblers.

I don't think it's at all unlikely that game systems like this will end up being regulated, but not before Blizzard make a fuck ton of money out of suckers.
    Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Eurobum

@Kidavenger said:

• In a casino you buy tokens or chips, put them into a slot machine again and again, you are randomly rewarded for this activity. You then take you tokens to the cashier, who exchanges them for money.
    • In Diablo you defeat a monster, again and again, you are randomly receiving drops, of random value, which you take to the auction house to turn it into money.

The real money auction was just the last missing piece to quite literally turn it into gambling. In a casino people can gamble and lose money really fast, in a loot-game people mostly wager/lose time (and time is money), but they can also lose money feeling compelled to buy goods with no real or certain value, and do so out of absurd artificially designed reasons, like the inability to defeat a hard inferno boss and the desire to slay monsters faster or to brag about their gear.

From Wikipedia:

• Gambling is the wagering of money or something of material value (referred to as "the stakes") on an event with an uncertain outcome with the primary intent of winning additional money and/or material goods.

From common sense:

• "Diablo III is the wagering of endless hours of repetitive activity and/or money (referred to as "gameplay") on an event with an uncertain outcome with the primary intent of winning additional fat loots, which can be sold on the RMAH."
    Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Kidavenger

@Eurobum said:

• "University is the wagering of endless hours of repetitive activity and/or money (referred to as "study") on an event with an uncertain outcome with the primary intent of winning fat careers."

There is no legitimate stake in Diablo;

leisure time is not "something of material value"

There is no link between spending real money in Diablo 3 and receiving any additional chance of receiving additional random loot worth real money within the game, you don't have to spend any money in order to make real money in Diablo 3.

hanktherapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By hanktherapper

I think it's worth it. I finished the story last Monday with a barbarian and currently playing it again with a witch doctor. It feels like a different game. All the random event are different than my first play through.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gamefreak9

@Eurobum said:

@Kidavenger said:

• In a casino you buy tokens or chips, put them into a slot machine again and again, you are randomly rewarded for this activity. You then take you tokens to the cashier, who exchanges them for money.

it wasn't gambling the moment you said this. I can't think of a casino where having fun gets you free tokens.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By Tarsier

its definitely a waste of money and time. like the show LOST, it is tricking you into thinking it has something meaningful going on, until you near the end and realize its a scam.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By valrog

I definitely got my money's worth. I even like the story.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By xymox

I got my money's worth, and I don't regret my purchase, even though the game does feels like it came from 2003.

LilGamerrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By LilGamerrr

@gamefreak9 said:

I have no idea where you pulled out 80 from I recommend you order it from amazon. Its cheaper.

Figures aren't just made up:

Battle.net

http://i45.tinypic.com/11qgymf.jpg

JB HI FI

http://i45.tinypic.com/2d26hbd.jpg

EB games

http://i49.tinypic.com/245xco4.jpg

I'm from Australia, so I can't buy from amazon..

http://i49.tinypic.com/drw9c.jpg

I really haven't found anything under like 75$

heghmohqib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By heghmohqib

With alittle time and effort, you could make your money back in the RMAH. Some guy @ work sold all his stuff on RMAH because he was going to quit playing and ended up making a cool $400 after fees. Lots of crazy people out there willing to drop cold hard cash on shit you picked up off the virtual ground.

Here's how you break the system:

1. play game

2. sell everything you get for gold

3. buy awesome stuff on GAH

4. resell awesome stuff on RMAH

5. Profit!

LilGamerrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By LilGamerrr

@HeghmohQib: Thats a good idea... Although I think many others would also have this idea as well. Have you or anyone else reading this actually done this? and how would I go about actually turning the stuff sold on RMAH into cash i can take out of an ATM? I know it involves paypal, but thats about all.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ShockD

Does anybody know if / when are we going to have a Starter Edition for Diablo 3?

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Eurobum

@Kidavenger said:

There is no link between spending real money in Diablo 3 and receiving any additional chance of receiving additional random loot worth real money within the game, you don't have to spend any money in order to make real money in Diablo 3.

If one was to reluctantly approach this problem on the very literal, legal level and split hair over definitions, then there is still a link (one of many) between putting up the stakes which Jimbo mentioned earlier in this topic. People may buy items early to get quicker access to "the endgame". All casinos also are "voluntary" you can just hang around and watch people play, or maybe spend complementary tokens, which came with your hotel room. The possibility alone is enough to make it gambling, even for the John-Deery-cap crowd who believe that their time spent farming isn't in fact valuable and doesn't equal money.

.@Jimbo said:

it could be considered very close to gambling (if they're spending $x on gear in the hope that something worth >$x drops so they can sell it for a profit).

And the fact that people spend 60 bucks or more for the game already (as the stakes), is just too obvious to mention. But even if D3 was free to play, it would still be gambling for the above mentioned reason.

Gambling is something which is known to be evil and exploitative, but it takes some specific math to actually understand why, Diablo 3 is much more intricate and complicated. It is actually more dangerous because it can reach far more people, and because it is a game/gambling hybrid.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MikkaQ

Sure I had a good 40 hours of fun before I got bored with it. I feel like it was worth it. I've payed the same price for 6 hour shooter campaigns and middling multiplayer.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By tunaburn

honestly, as fucking sad as it makes me. i think it was a waste of money. i have no desire to go through it again. i beat it on normal with my witch doctor and was bored to death. and i played diablo 2 non stop. meph runs all day.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tunaburn

@LilGamerrr said:

@Kidavenger said:

win 7 32bit

AMD Radeon HD 6320

2 GB RAM

that computer wont run it well. at all. even on low. sadly.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ShaggE

@Eurobum said:

@Kidavenger said:

If one was to reluctantly approach this problem on the very literal, legal level and split hair over definitions, then there is still a link (one of many) between putting up the stakes which Jimbo mentioned earlier in this topic. People may buy items early to get quicker access to "the endgame". All casinos also are "voluntary" you can just hang around and watch people play, or maybe spend complementary tokens, which came with your hotel room. The possibility alone is enough to make it gambling, even for the John-Deery-cap crowd who believe that their time spent farming isn't in fact valuable and doesn't equal money.

.@Jimbo said:

it could be considered very close to gambling (if they're spending $x on gear in the hope that something worth >$x drops so they can sell it for a profit).

And the fact that people spend 60 bucks or more for the game already (as the stakes), is just too obvious to mention. But even if D3 was free to play, it would still be gambling for the above mentioned reason.

Gambling is something which is known to be evil and exploitative, but it takes some specific math to actually understand why, Diablo 3 is much more intricate and complicated. It is actually more dangerous because it can reach far more people, and because it is a game/gambling hybrid.

I haven't seen law twisted so hard since Jack Thompson was still a lawyer. You'll make an excellent public nuisance someday. Just throw a few dramatic buzzwords like "cyberbullying" and "sexbox" in there, and you'll be doing the rounds on Glenn Beck's show in no time.

Hyperglide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Hyperglide

You should've asked this on the General Board. It's a d3 board so the answer's are going to be biased.

I think you should buy it. It's not a perfect game and has a lot of flaws and security issues but it's a very fun isometric dungeon crawl action RPG, with great co-op gameplay. Not much else to tell you that you probably don't already know (randomly generated maps, Auction House, a bunch of varying melee and ranged classes).

I would recommend you try the trial edition first though.

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Eurobum

@ShaggE said:

I haven't seen law twisted so hard since Jack Thompson was still a lawyer. You'll make an excellent public nuisance someday. Just throw a few dramatic buzzwords like "cyberbullying" and "sexbox" in there, and you'll be doing the rounds on Glenn Beck's show in no time.

Ignoring the personal attacks for a moment, would you help me figure out the irony in something you accuse me of: Which one of us is dropping buzzwords just for the sake of it, *caugh* Jack Thompson *caugh* Glenn Beck, for a total of FOUR buzzwords in a single sentence?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ShaggE

@Eurobum said:

@ShaggE said:

Ignoring the personal attacks for a moment, would you help me figure out the irony in something you accuse me of: Which one of us is dropping buzzwords just for the sake of it, *caugh* Jack Thompson *caugh* Glenn Beck, for a total of FOUR buzzwords in a single sentence?

That's not what a buzzword is, but thanks for playing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.