Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 15, 2012

Diablo III returns to the world of Sanctuary twenty years after the events of Diablo II with a new generation of heroes that must defeat the demonic threat from Hell.

I for one am glad Blizzard changed the Diablo art style for 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

I never played Diablo before and I've played PC games since the late 80's, well I dunno if they count as PC's but looked alot like them lol. So it's like how have I missed all these games like Fallout and Icewind Dale and Diablo..... I dunno I didn't have alot of money back then and my internet was sooo slow I remember loading up a picture of a naked women in like 5 mins. I know how games were back then and they were just entering a new age and very generic but that doens't mean that every game in the series needs to be that way, I mean they do have to change eventually. Like Fallout 3 for example that's going to full 3D because you can't release the same game back from 1998 10 years later and expect it to sell well like a fully 3D action RPG would do.

I just played Diablo 2 for the first time (because Diablo wouldn't work on XP) while I wont be playing it again because it's just tooo dated I do think the music is really great, Blizzard is known for that. One thing that put me of fthe game is how generic and poor the art style is, speciall on the character models and I just can't see how any of that would translate to the modern day and seems to me that it only looks like that due to hardware limitations of blizzard trying to have their game srun on any machine and because they had less money.

I don't know what people are whining about anyways because the new look is just sooo much better and it'll have dark levels too, just they'll feel special and stand out more than everything being dark and boring.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

I'm not exactly what you would call a Diablo fanboy, so I'm not too concerned about the change in art style.  I think the game looks good and that's all that matters, I couldn't care less if it's a bit more colorful than it's predecesors.  That being said...the only reason I'm even replying to this post is to once again pimp out one of my favorite games, Titan Quest.  If you like DIablo-style games but want something a little more modern, check it out!

Zebadee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Zebadee
    MB said:
    "I'm not exactly what you would call a Diablo fanboy, so I'm not too concerned about the change in art style.  I think the game looks good and that's all that matters, I couldn't care less if it's a bit more colorful than it's predecesors.  That being said...the only reason I'm even replying to this post is to once again pimp out one of my favorite games, Titan Quest.  If you like DIablo-style games but want something a little more modern, check it out!"
    Yeah Titan quest is awesome, definitely when doing online multiplayer, great fun over teamspeak.
    agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By agent_lost

The game look good, it amazing how people are complaining about something that it reality was a hardware limitation of the time. Plus there are going very crazy with today hardware, fat boss that made out of death people.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks

Your not the only one, I think it looks gorgeous now, along with the new style some of the element effects look stunning.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Hamz

My only problem with Diablo 3 is that for a game coming out maybe next year or the year after that it doesn't look that great visually. By this i mean i have no problem with the more colourful art style but visually it isn't that advanced looking.

Infact it looks no different to say World of Warcraft or Warhammer, i'd have liked to see a more detailed and better looking game, hopefully as the developement continues they will make it look better. But i still think the boost in colour to the game is a nice change, a lot of games now seem rather dull and dark with more grey than any other colour so its a refreshing change. However i still think the game looks, visually in terms of graphics, mediocre.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By suneku

I'm a pretty big Diablo fan, and I for one love the new style. It gives more detail and looks smoother. People complain that it looks like WoW, I guess there's a legitimate argument in that. I like the style though. People complain that it's not dark and gritty anymore, we haven't even seen much of it. Sure, it's brighter outside but the enviroment does still change. The dungeons seem just as dark, maybe a little brighter, but not much.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Cube
    Hamz said:
    "My only problem with Diablo 3 is that for a game coming out maybe next year or the year after that it doesn't look that great visually. By this i mean i have no problem with the more colourful art style but visually it isn't that advanced looking.

Infact it looks no different to say World of Warcraft or Warhammer, i'd have liked to see a more detailed and better looking game, hopefully as the developement continues they will make it look better. But i still think the boost in colour to the game is a nice change, a lot of games now seem rather dull and dark with more grey than any other colour so its a refreshing change. However i still think the game looks, visually in terms of graphics, mediocre."
    While true, this could be due to the fact that Blizzard wants everyone (or, at least a lot of people) to be able to play the game at full settings or near full. Maybe they just can't optimize it enough with amazing graphics. I don't know. Either way, I think we can all agree that it's good Diablo is back.
    HitNRun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HitNRun
    Hamz said:
    "My only problem with Diablo 3 is that for a game coming out maybe next year or the year after that it doesn't look that great visually. By this i mean i have no problem with the more colourful art style but visually it isn't that advanced looking.

Infact it looks no different to say World of Warcraft or Warhammer, i'd have liked to see a more detailed and better looking game, hopefully as the developement continues they will make it look better. But i still think the boost in colour to the game is a nice change, a lot of games now seem rather dull and dark with more grey than any other colour so its a refreshing change. However i still think the game looks, visually in terms of graphics, mediocre."
    I agree. The main problem I have with the game (visually) is that I've been staring at those same graphics for 4 years in WoW, and they were on the back end of "OK" in 2004. I love - or loved, anyway - Blizzard, but I'm just not that keen to stare at the same breed of fantasy stuff from the same artists. That more than anything is why I would have liked a darker take, not to compliment my goth lifestyle but just for a change of pace.

One thing to keep in mind though was that Diablo 2 had mediocre graphics for its time as well due to its overlong development cycle. Of course, I wasn't a huge fan of Diablo 2, but a lot of people were, so it must have done something right.
    Abunai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Abunai

I think the technical graphics are a result of the demographic Blizzard are aiming for to purchase / have their machine run Diablo 3; ie everyone.

The art style is brilliant though, same with the work done in WoW, even though technically the visuals are poor the overall package looks better than *alot* of games.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Jayge_

The new style is bitchin' awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Personally I preferred the original Diablo style to Diablo II. Diablo III looks really good from the screens here on GB.

Bunnyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bunnyman
    PapaLazarou said:
    I just played Diablo 2 for the first time (because Diablo wouldn't work on XP)
    For the record, Diablo does/can work with Windows XP. I don't know why it works for some but not for others.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Worked fine for me.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Lunarbunny

I think the people whining about it are a vocal minority.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By clarke0

I think the game looks way too much like WoW, and from what I have seen the dungeons look a little too bright. Honestly though if the rest of the game is good I won't mind the change in color pallet.

Xelloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Xelloss

I played it at Blizzcon, it looks really good.  Even watching the HD video trailers isn't enough to see really awesome detail.  Also it was a blast to play and will run great on anyone system which is nice.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.