Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 15, 2012

Diablo III returns to the world of Sanctuary twenty years after the events of Diablo II with a new generation of heroes that must defeat the demonic threat from Hell.

Is D3 the new ME3?

• 129 results
    bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By bemusedchunk

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/diablo-iii

According to the fan base on Metacritic, it sure is looking that way.

I play wow and SC2, and frankly - games are going to start requiring an "always on" connection, which I have no problem with. I'm just surprised so many people are upset by it.

Also, whats the deal with people thinking that the graphics are the same as 12 years ago? I think they look amazing and fit the atmosphere/tone of the game. I don't think it's fair if you are comparing D3 to something like Battlefield 3.

Anywho - thoughts?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I wonder what's next. RE6? I wonder what's the next game the Internet goes buck wild hating. Guild Wars 2.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By AndrewB

I dunno... always-on internet connection is definitely something I put up with and not something I enjoy. There have been too many times in the past where either my ISP has had issues or the servers have been down and it's prevented me from playing a game that's right there on my hard drive. It's especially annoying when the internet is down because, you know, that's usually when things get really boring and I want to play a game.

But that said, I came into Diablo III knowing first-hand it wasn't going to be a flawless experience. Again, I put up with it from Blizzard because they make some really great games. The second that stops being true, then their internet required scheme becomes just another reason not to buy.

On the graphics side of things, I've never understood what people were complaining about. I think I was skeptical at the very first footage we saw of the game way back, but since seeing more it just comes across as a natural mixture of the old Diablo style mixed with the post Warcraft 3 visual styling that Blizzard has run with. It looks great, especially in motion.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Undeadpool

@Brodehouse said:

I wonder what's next. RE6? I wonder what's the next game the Internet goes buck wild hating. Guild Wars 2.

The new Baldur's Gate. Calling it right now. People who haven't played 2 in over a decade will be talking about what an amazing, transcendental, flawless work it was and how whatever is produced is dumbed down for the ever-nebulous "masses."

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I hate people.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By benjaebe

Let's never use Metacritic, especially user reviews, to judge an accurate response from a fanbase. Metacritic is so prone to trolling it's not even funny, they should honestly just shut down their user review section because it just constantly gets bombed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Undeadpool

@Brodehouse said:

The new Baldur's Gate. Calling it right now. People who haven't played 2 in over a decade will be talking about what an amazing, transcendental, flawless work it was and how whatever is produced is dumbed down for the ever-nebulous "masses."

Those Goddamn masses.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By AndrewB

@Brodehouse said:

@Undeadpool

@Brodehouse said:

Those Goddamn masses.

Masses of jerks, more like.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By JasonR86

It is times like these I hate being associated with the gaming community at large.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Addfwyn

I'm totally okay with the always-on internet thing. Yeah, the first day or two after launch things are messy as the entire planet is trying to play at once, but after that it's rather negligible. It's a small price to pay to tone down all the hacking that ruined online D2, and anything that even has a small chance of curtailing piracy, I am 100% for. It's just that the problems with the model are most noticeable right around launch, which affects a lot of the naysayers opinions.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#11  Edited By Kidavenger

If you want proof of how useless the user reviews are, check the list of top rated games by user score, all iOS and jrpgs.

User review should include a 2,000 word requirement, if you are that mad that you will write that much, maybe I'll pay attention, but if you are part of the ADHD crowd/everything is a 10 or 0, your opinion is less than worthless.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

My thoughts are that if you're comparing games by way of user reviews on Metacritic you might just be insane.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AndrewB

@Brodehouse said:

@Undeadpool

@Brodehouse said:

Those Goddamn masses.

Bunch of mass-holes.
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jack268

The problem with these "fans" rating it low is that they either haven't played the game or don't understand how a review scale works.

warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By warchief

@bemusedchunk: my thoughts are that Metacritic is the dumbest site on the internet today. also all those "reviews" are prob. going to be about connection issues on launch day because people are babies, and cant deal with being inconvenienced .

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Jaktajj

Hopefully. That would be an absolute dream. Then people will leave the servers and let us, who do bloody love this game, play it idiot-free.

I doubt that will happen though. Unfortunately. =(

Also:

@benjaebe said:

Let's never use Metacritic, especially user reviews, to judge an accurate response from a fanbase. Metacritic is so prone to trolling it's not even funny, they should honestly just shut down their user review section because it just constantly gets bombed.

Definitely this.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BrockNRolla

@bemusedchunk said:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/diablo-iii

According to the fan base on Metacritic, it sure is looking that way.

I play wow and SC2, and frankly - games are going to start requiring an "always on" connection, which I have no problem with. I'm just surprised so many people are upset by it.

Also, whats the deal with people thinking that the graphics are the same as 12 years ago? I think they look amazing and fit the atmosphere/tone of the game. I don't think it's fair if you are comparing D3 to something like Battlefield 3.

Anywho - thoughts?

Are there problems with D3? Yes. Are there things that people should be legitimately upset about? Of course. Should we derive any kind of conclusion from "user reviews" on Metacritic? No.

The vast majority of those reviews are from people who are upset they can't play the game due to connectivity issues. Does that reflect poorly on the game? Most certainly. Will this continue to be an issue in the next 48 hours? Maybe, but probably not. The reviews are a reflection of user irritation and nothing more. For those who have played the game, they will more than likely tell you they love it. Until your typical slate of reliable game journalist reviews, I don't think you can point to Metacritic and conclude anything.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bemusedchunk

I totally agree that anyone with an internet connection thinks they have a right to go online and spew as much shit as possible. But I also would defend their right to do that to the death.

But the complete lack of thought when defending a position is insane.

Check out this gem:

Absurd how badly blizzard screwed this up. There isn't even an offline mode. What kind of Diablo doesn't have offline gameplay? Other than this the game itself is very fun and plays smoothly, even on my macbook air.

Score he gave: 0

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By Yummylee

In other news: Hey guys, so I just noticed there sure are a lot of racists and homophobes on this 4chan thing!

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bemusedchunk

@Kidavenger said:

If you want proof of how useless the user reviews are, check the list of top rated games by user score, all iOS and jrpgs.

User review should include a 2,000 word requirement, if you are that mad that you will write that much, maybe I'll pay attention, but if you are part of the ADHD crowd/everything is a 10 or 0, your opinion is less than worthless.

A million times this. This is the problem with the internet. Giving everyone a voice is such a great tool, but it's completely lost if their voice sounds like shit.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By bemusedchunk

@BrockNRolla: So I understand not being able to play whenever you want. When I got home from work last night, alls I wanted to do was to try out D3. But the servers were down. I wasn't upset, but I was disappointed. However, this is Blizzard - a reputable company when it comes to their servers and online games in general. Did people completely forget the news of SC2 being always online? Did no one remember how they wanted to beef up bnet using cross-platform realid/battletags? It's almost as if these people were living under a rock, saw that Diablo 3 was released, and when they couldn't play decided to scream at everyone on the internet.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By GunslingerPanda

People still care about having always-on internet requirements; lol.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bemusedchunk

@GunslingerPanda said:

See, I don't think they have a problem with this. The real problem is when that internet connection goes out.

Ever been around someone who just has to lookup something on wikipedia, only to find out that they don't have a signal with their cell phone?

Lagaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lagaroth

@GunslingerPanda said:

How dare people want to play the games they purchased whenever they want!

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BrockNRolla

@bemusedchunk:

Yeah, I definitely agree. I can certainly understand being upset about not getting to play the game a player just paid for, but a certain level of this was to be expected. Maybe Blizzard should know better or maybe there shouldn't have been a problems because the game can be an exclusively single player experience, but hiccups were bound to happen. That's why I went to bed on Monday night and played in the morning when I woke up. The up and down has been pretty irritating since then though.

The "surprise" that people seem to be feeling seems crazy to me. I guess maybe that's a reflection of our gaming culture. So many people are only focused on their one little niche game or interest that they are completely unaware of all the other things that going on in the industry. I imagine those folks are the ones that are freaking out. The better informed, better educated gaming public approached D3 with a bit more caution.

At least with ME3 the surprise was an issue of quality and continuity. The better informed you were about the series, the more irritated you tended to be. So maybe D3 is kind of like the opposite of ME3? On second thought, let's not go down that rabbit hole.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EXTomar

Unless the ending of Diablo 3 has you meeting a ghostly Deckard Cain that says "Nevermind your quest to save Sanctuary. You can either destroy everything supernatural, take over hell, or merge all humans with demons creating a hybrid" I think it would be impossible to be that bad. :)

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bemusedchunk

@Lagaroth said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

How dare people want to play the games they purchased whenever they want!

So this is pretty much what it's going to come down to. I think an always-on internet requirement can be a good thing - leaving most of the stuff to sync server side lets me use my laptop and my pc to progress through the game at a pace I want.

However, being subject to play whenever the servers are up is the opposite. It feels as if I'm being punished for an issue that they need to fix.

Since I play WoW I know that every Tuesdays I'm pretty much not going to get to log in until sometime in the evening. I haven't played SCII that much, but is it the same way? Do they have weekly maintenance schedules? And is D3 going to as well?

Also, I find it quite funny reading some of these internet goers claim that the game will get cracked by pirates and be able to play without an internet connection.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By hockeymask27

Yes.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bemusedchunk

@BrockNRolla: But that's the thing. I don't know anyone who has only played one exclusive game by Blizzard, and even they know it. Generally, if you played Starcraft, you probably played Warcraft too. I mean, are these the same people that were arguing during Starcraft II? Or were they just asleep for those years?

These past few months have really shined a light on the gaming culture as a whole - especially with the ME3 debacle. Do we, as gamers, have a right to complain? Or, is it just a case with voting with your wallets and if you don't like that game - don't buy it? I lean toward the latter, and when it comes to D3, anyone who didn't know that it required an always-on connection shouldn't have purchased the game.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CL60

Pretty much every game with a slight problem at any point gets shit on a ridiculous amount on the Internet.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bemusedchunk

@CL60 said:

Pretty much every game with a slight problem at any point gets shit on a ridiculous amount on the Internet.

And this is really frustrating as a gamer, or someone who even enjoys games. It feels as if there shouldn't even be game reviews anymore - just a list of "Shit I Don't Like" and a negative score at the end. The shorter the list and higher the negative score, the better game it is.

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By sixpin

I wish Blizzard could have given away copies of Diablo 2 with every purchase of Diablo 3 and not just the collector's edition. Maybe if they had done that some of these idiots claiming that D3 looks old would see the difference for themselves prior to making crazy-people claims on the Internet. The always on thing does suck for those that purchased the game and just want to play single player when the login servers are down. Where my empathy for them ends, however, is with the venomous outrage within seconds of the services being interrupted. It was out for a couple hours in the middle of the day yesterday, go outside, maybe pet a puppy. Delayed gratification measured in 60 minute chunks is not the end of the world. I've wanted to play D3 since I finished D2 (12 years ago?), so relax people. Give Blizzard at least a day or so to work the kinks out.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By bemusedchunk

@sixpin: See, I understand being upset about not being able to play due to servers being down because they are patching the game. I get that. But these graphics are amazing! I friggin love the breakable environment when you use aoe spells, or the fact that zombies will climb up cliff sides or pop out of the ground.

I don't think these people remember the 800x600 goodness that was D2...

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34  Edited By viking_funeral

I think it's interesting that always-online DRM didn't get defenders until Blizzard did it. Or at least, not even close to this many being this vocal. When Ubisoft did it, PC gamers responding with obvious scorn. I have to wonder how much the brand identity of Blizzard is affecting people's opinions of this.

EDIT: Also, why care about the Metacritic score, be it User or Critic review? People are starting to put way too much emphasis on these numbers, and seem to be tracking them like sports scores to see which games "win." Modern Warfare 3 did just fine with User scores in the red, and Mass Effect 3 sold on par with the last 2 games. It really doesn't mean much, and if you're taking it to heart, ask yourself why.

Lagaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lagaroth

I have no idea about SC2, but that also has an offline mode. I seem to remember somewhere that they planned to do maintenance for D3 at a much longer interval than weekly, but I can't source it.

Also, the game is going to be cracked and pirates will be playing offline within a week I would bet, if they aren't already. Every game with always on DRM has failed to do anything other than piss off legitimate customers. Spore tried intrusive DRM and quickly became the most pirated game in history. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood(? I don't remember which one.) had always on DRM and pirates cracked it to play offline within a day if I recall correctly.

Before anyone accuses me of advocating piracy, I'm not. I've never pirated a game/song/movie/tv show in my life. To the point where I listen to the damn 1:30 previews of songs on Itunes over and over when I can't buy them.

Oh, and the only thing duping items ever hurt was egos.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By breadfan

@JeanLuc said:

I hate people.

I fucking hate people.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37  Edited By JJOR64

People still look at user scores on Metacritic?

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BrockNRolla

@bemusedchunk:

You're probably right about Blizzard having a specific following, but I definitely know a lot of people who are excited about D3 who never would have touched an RTS like SCII. Don't know if that is actually illustrative of D3's audience though.

I definitely do think we have a right to complain. If you pay money for a product, and that product does not deliver, then your only recourse is to complain (As a lot of times you can't take something back).

But people should choose their battles and always attempt to be informed before beginning them. Unfortunately, it seems more important to people to just vent their frustrations, than it is to actually communicate real problems that they hope are rectified.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By viking_funeral

@Lagaroth: It's going to take pirates longer than a week to crack Diablo 3, but it will happen. I'd say a month. It was easier to crack the Ubisoft games because no information was being stored server-side. It was just a constant check, or at least that's how I perceived it. But if they are able to crack MMOs with fake servers and removing things from the server side, like they've done, then yes, this will be cracked at some point.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BrockNRolla

@Breadfan said:

@JeanLuc said:

I hate people.

I fucking hate people.

With you 110% of the way.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BrockNRolla

@JJOR64 said:

People still look at user scores on Metacritic?

Yeah. People have to look at them when they are posting their own shitty, uninformed review.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#42  Edited By Undeadpool

@Brodehouse said:

@AndrewB

@Brodehouse said:

@Undeadpool

@Brodehouse said:

Those Goddamn masses.

Bunch of mass-holes.

The only EFFECT the MASSES had was...dumb!! Yeah, still got it.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By EXTomar

I think it is also fascinating how much people use their hatred of DRM when it turns out to be another issue. The behavior and problems I've taken note of seems more like Battlefield 3 with having BL go weird at launch where there were enough people who just couldn't play online because BL didn't work correctly out of the box. Of course this highlights that both shouldn't have arranged their systems with their point of failures like that.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By bemusedchunk

For the record, I'm not taking the Metacritic score to heart - just as a gauge for resentment toward Blizzard at the moment.

I'm just finding the recent trend of users griping (especially within 24 hours of release) very...interesting...

zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#45  Edited By zor

If a game's single player has always online drm, i won't buy it. Well, i haven't bought one so far, and it is sad that Diablo 3 has it, since i actually wanted it (I really enjoy their (Blizzard) games, and i own nearly every title that they have release, other than Blackthorne and The death and return of superman (wow, i didn't know that this game even existed)).

People can defend it all they want, but i refuse to accept this kind of behavior or practice.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By freakin9

I think the OP is merely getting impatient with the lack of "real reviews", even though none of them are actually better than a user review. I mean the idea that there's a professional game review is fairly silly. It's all just a bunch of jerks giving their slanted opinions, and are just as prone to fanboyism as the 12 year olds trolling the intranets.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AngelN7
    theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#48  Edited By theveej

I think its pretty shitty that you can't play D3 offline (I was expecting the offline/online snyc thing from SC2) but to be honest I understand why. Having played a good portion of D2 and having friends who went nuts with D2, the end game of item hunting got so messed up when people started hacking the game and hacked items were introduced. With the introduction of auction houses in D3, Blizzard both financially, legally and from a customer relation side can not afford to have the same thing as D2 happening with hacked items. So I understand why its online at all times, but wish there was an offline sync option.

Also blizzard is by far the most experience company when it comes to online services, obviously they fucked up somewhere, but these kind of issues are pretty normal for big online games. When was the last time a huge online game cameout (specially on PC) with no problems? Also a shit load of people are playing this, a number that most other company could not even comprehend; I understand the frustration with not being able to play it day 1, but I think blizzard has garnered enough cred to be given the benefit of doubt.

Also me and my friend, who is a big time D2 player, predicated these day 1 problems from playing the beta. We know this was gonna happen, in fact my friend is out of town working cause he knew it would take a couple days to get the bugs fixed; I don't like saying this and I do think blizzard did fuck up, but mb people should start expecting these fuck ups with PC games on launch day.

Server problems with a huge multi million player based online games are the norm, the question is why there isn't a offline sync option; however I can see why they don't have it if it can fuck with acutions houses etc. It's just a bad situation, the game looks fucking amazing though.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By bemusedchunk

@Zor: See? I respect that. You have a criteria and you are sticking to it. And if you don't know something you (seem like you would) research that kinda thing.

But some of these visceral comments out there are nuts. Oh well, must be Activisions decision for this RITE GUEYS?!?!

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By bemusedchunk

@freakin9: OP here! I'm actually upset with the amount of people who are "outaged" by this to go and spew hatred all over my internet. As for reviews, I really don't care - I already promised to give Blizzard $180/yr in exchange for D3 and other goodies.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.