Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 15, 2012

Diablo III returns to the world of Sanctuary twenty years after the events of Diablo II with a new generation of heroes that must defeat the demonic threat from Hell.

Is This Game For Me? - Need some help please.

AaronP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By AaronP

Hey guys,

I was just wondering all of your opinions on whether Diablo III is for me or not?

I used to love video games and play them very regularly but as I have now got older and have a busier life I have very much gotten out of the hobby. Coming back to Giantbomb lately I have seen a few Quick Looks and that passion and enjoyment is starting to come back. Now, I have never played PC games that much and have only ever played one RPG on the Xbox 360 which was The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion but absolutely loved it and I love loot and many different combinations of armour and weapons which Diablo III seems to really excel in. I have never played the first two games so will I struggle to get used to this one straight away or is it very new user friendly? I am also interested in Diablo III as it doesn't seem as ridiculously in depth as other RPG'S and although I would like to get immersed into a game I don’t want to be having to do hours of research for the best skill sets and levelling up etc. The final information I need is if it needs a very high spec PC to run it smoothly? I am embarrassed to admit I have a quite outdated Windows Vista 2008 Dell XPS with an Intel E8500 Core 2 Duo Processor 3.16GHz, 2GB of RAM and a 256MB ATI® Radeon™ HD 2600 XT graphics card but have recently done a reformat and runs smoothly for older games at the moment. I do also have a Windows 7 Toshiba laptop with Intel Core i3 380M / 2.53 GHz / 3 MB Cache, 6GB of RAM but only Intel HD Graphics so am unsure if that would fare any better?

Thanks for taking the time to help me though; I look forward to hearing your opinions.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By haffy

Kind of hard to say. It's sort of a niche genre. The story isn't great, but it's the actual game play which makes Diablo 3 good.

Google some Diablo 3 streams and watch for a while. Probably the best way to decide for yourself.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#3  Edited By alistercat

The presentation in Diablo 3 is excellent, but the game is all about its mechanics. You can play through normal without worrying about builds but subsequent playthrough will force you more and more to dig in to how the game works and optimal ways of playing.

I still think it's worth it for that one playthrough but it isn't deep in the normal RPG way. It's all mechanics.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Canteu

@haffy: Did you just call the fastest selling pc game of all time, "niche"?

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By haffy

@Canteu said:

Yeah, I did. Any more questions?

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@haffy said:

@Canteu said:

Typical dumb Geordie! You might win if you buy some more Senagese!

Silvergun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Silvergun

If you love loot, you should get a kick out of Diablo III. Pretty much everything you fight is a pinata bursting with goodies, and especially once you hit 60, killing a boss and watching a shower of rares fill your screen is always a kick. It's easily one of the most accessible games Blizzard has made too, mainly thanks to the auction house which can really flatten the difficulty curve if you take advantage of it. I'm not a huge fan of the AH personally, but on the other hand, I was able to take my lvl 60 Monk with no gear and for next to nothing (and with about half an hour shopping), gear her up to the point where I'm shredding Act 1 Inferno. Honestly though, best way to tell if you like it is to pick up the Starter Edition, which lets you play about the first third of Act I normal for free.

As far as performance goes, Blizzard aims low for their system reqs., so unless you're using something truly ancient you should be fine. Again, getting the Starter Edition will answer this better than anybody here can.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Canteu

@Bourbon_Warrior: I am also a Geordie, but have no idea what Senegal has anything to do with anything.

owait...football...ok

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Grimluck343

@haffy said:

Kind of hard to say. It's sort of a niche genre. The story isn't great, but it's the actual game play which makes Diablo 3 good.

Google some Diablo 3 streams and watch for a while. Probably the best way to decide for yourself.

I see you getting shit over calling it a niche genre, but I would describe it the same way. Why else is there so much bitching over having to "farm for loot" and "why is inferno so hard?" I can only imagine it's because people didn't really know what they were getting into.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By haffy

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@haffy said:

@Canteu said:

Typical dumb Geordie! You might win if you buy some more Senagese!

Haha, whatever works man. Wouldn't be surprised if we sold them and cash in on their form. @Grimluck343 said:

@haffy said:

I see you getting shit over calling it a niche genre, but I would describe it the same way. Why else is there so much bitching over having to "farm for loot" and "why is inferno so hard?" I can only imagine it's because people didn't really know what they were getting into.

Yeah, this was pretty much what I was thinking. I found it weird how many people hated D3, then kind of relaised most people complaining didn't really know what kind of game Diablo was.

AaronP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AaronP

Thanks for all the replies guys!

@Silvergun said:

If you love loot, you should get a kick out of Diablo III. Pretty much everything you fight is a pinata bursting with goodies, and especially once you hit 60, killing a boss and watching a shower of rares fill your screen is always a kick. It's easily one of the most accessible games Blizzard has made too, mainly thanks to the auction house which can really flatten the difficulty curve if you take advantage of it. I'm not a huge fan of the AH personally, but on the other hand, I was able to take my lvl 60 Monk with no gear and for next to nothing (and with about half an hour shopping), gear her up to the point where I'm shredding Act 1 Inferno. Honestly though, best way to tell if you like it is to pick up the Starter Edition, which lets you play about the first third of Act I normal for free.

As far as performance goes, Blizzard aims low for their system reqs., so unless you're using something truly ancient you should be fine. Again, getting the Starter Edition will answer this better than anybody here can.

Oh the Starter Edition sounds awesome! I'm a bit confused how it will work if I eventually buy the full retail game though? Will I still need to use the disk or are disks in retail PC games never used now except to install? (Sorry its been a while since I bought a PC game).

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By haffy

Most PC games are just digital now. If you buy Diablo from the Blizzard site you can get the digital copy, which just means you can download and install it anytime you want. Also you'll keep all your progress from the starter edition if you pay for it.

AaronP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AaronP

Well after getting excited for the Starter Edition of Diablo III it now seems like it's only available via a "Guest Pass", I made a battle.net account and everything :(

Anyone kind enough to PM me a Guest Pass I would really appreciate it!

Thanks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.