Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 15, 2012

Diablo III returns to the world of Sanctuary twenty years after the events of Diablo II with a new generation of heroes that must defeat the demonic threat from Hell.

More issues: Possible hack allows others to access your account?

• 189 results
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#151  Edited By Tennmuerti

@dekkadekkadekka: @baldgye:

Fellas. Is your Battlenet password unique? Is it only being used for the battlenet account? Or have you used it (or it's minor variations) in the past for other logins? If the answer is that you have used that password in other places, you are not 100% secure. Not even remotely close. And can't be sure that that password was not extracted from some other system/service. It's as simple as that. Doesn't matter how secure your own PC is, or if you are smart enough to not get phished. It's super common, hell my Battlenet pasword is not unique either, i have used it in other places.

@dekkadekkadekka: Well Blizzard has already come out and made an official statement that yes the people who got hacked got their accounts accessed by valid login information. It's their word. Them providing login logs will again in the end be just their word. Not real proof. Unless you have a competent outside IT team investigate their entire security infrastructure (heh).

@baldgye: I pretty much agree with you that yes their customer service coould have been better handled on the issue. In terms of restoring your account there is not much they can do if it ws a legit logon with a stolen password. But they deff should offer free (as in not part of your normal alloted number) rollback , and even suggest it to people as a good service. At the very least to people who only got hacked once (not repeat resets as that's abusable).

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#152  Edited By baldgye

While my bnet account pass isn't unique, its rather unrealisitc to have a unquie password for everything, though I do not use the same password I would for forums as I do for bnet and steam etc...

But I really doubt that any phishing has taken place as the only email I've ever had from blizzard about my bnet was the one i got this morning which was confirmed to come from them when I ran up customer services and asked why they had done that (to which I didn't get an answer).

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#153  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

@Tennmuerti: My password was unique and continues to be. I do not use this password anywhere else. As a kicker I ran anti-malware and anti-virus software yesterday and overnight, full scans, a combined total of 8 hours. Clean bill of health on both fronts for known threats.

If they directly provide me proof that my account was accessed with a valid username/password I will happily accept that. What I cannot accept are statements made to the general public that "all" instances investigated have been found to be the result of phishing/previously acquired details. I pasted the initial response I got to my ticket earlier in the thread, they didn't answer the question of my account being accessed, hence the call I am currently making. 40 minutes on hold and counting.

40 minutes on hold and the call is dropped. Wonderful.

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By baldgye

more and more people posting the same thing in my thread [url]http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4210124401?page=1[/url] as they come back from work to find there acc's hacked...

and still blizzard support seems to randomly decide who has been legitly hacked and who hasn't... based seemingly on nothing...

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#155  Edited By Tennmuerti

@dekkadekkadekka said:

@Tennmuerti: My password was unique and continues to be. I do not use this password anywhere else. As a kicker I ran anti-malware and anti-virus software yesterday and overnight, full scans, a combined total of 8 hours. Clean bill of health on both fronts for known threats.

If they directly provide me proof that my account was accessed with a valid username/password I will happily accept that. What I cannot accept are statements made to the general public that "all" instances investigated have been found to be the result of phishing/previously acquired details. I pasted the initial response I got to my ticket earlier in the thread, they didn't answer the question of my account being accessed, hence the call I am currently making. 40 minutes on hold and counting.

That was what pretty much happened during Cataclysm launch, over 1 hour call ques to customer service. Hence why i didn't bother chasing down my own hack problem at the time, having no real interest in the account anymore anyway. Shitty.

Anyway surprised to hear that your Battlenet password is indeed unique :) That pretty much leaves (unless its a weak unique password, but you seem to know your basic self security) only your email associated with Bnet as a possible point of intrusion/monitoring or in fact Blizzard security itself . And I am real real sceptical about a compromise in their security after their experience with WoW/Warden and other measures i've seen used over the years. But it's a possibility, can't exclude it i guess if i really do want to be fair.

If you can chase it down (the nature of access that is) you're a hero. But i doubt it, customer service reps will not have that info themselves or have a specific set of instructions to their responces :/

You have however full reason to be sceptical it seems.

jamescheong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#156  Edited By jamescheong

Yep just happened to me. No account changes, just a naked lv 57 sitting in Normal difficulty in new tristram

All money, most gear, and most higher level gems gone. I'm starting to believe that theory that people are getting info through public games and spoofing it, I was in a game with some chinese guy earlier last night before logging out, and now he's not even in the 'recently met' list.

Time to wait and see how long it takes Blizzard to get back to me regarding restoration. Have fun everyone wondering if you will be next in losing all your gear and money.

Accounts ZeN 'dsfdsfds' and Alvangor 'fdgdfgdf' are in my recently met list. Never met them before, they're probably the assholes who took my stuff.

dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

@Tennmuerti said:

@dekkadekkadekka said:

That was what pretty much happened dutring Cataclysm launch, over 1 hour call cues to customer service. Hence why i didn't bother chasing down my own hack problem at the time, having no real interesdt in the account anymore anyway. Shitty.

Anyway surprised to hear that your Battlenet password is indeed unique :) That pretty much leaves only your email associated with Bnet as a possible point of intrusion/monitoring or in fact Blizzard security itself. And I am real real sceptical about a compromise in their security after teir experience with WoW/Warden and other measures i've seen used over the years. But it's a possibility, can't exclude it i guess if i really do want to be fair.

If you can chase it down (the nature of access that is) you're a hero. But i doupd it, customer service reps will not have that info themselves or have a specific set of instructions to their responces :/

You have however a very good reason to be sceptical it seems.

I'm forced to have unique passwords for everything at work; carrying that behaviour into my life outside of work helped me learn how to recall upwards of 10 passwords at work and more at home. It's not easy and I do use a notepad for the accounts I rarely use at home.

From the outside I can definitely see why people are sceptical. But without specific examples that Blizzard, quite rightly, cannot give then it's understandable that people are calling them out on their perceived bullshit. It's a catch-22 on both sides. Both sides are anecdotally claiming the other is wrong and without proper investigation into reports that claim a breach was made despite authenticator use. I can't see a case where this has happened.

That said if my account was accessed using user/pass then I will fully admit that I must have screwed up somewhere down the line. I'm not infallible.

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By baldgye

The thing that makes me question blizz, is that if this was phishing why would they only go for your d3 items and gold?

You can't make real world money from them, you'd be better off taking the whole account and then the email account linked to it so you could sell that account for actual money....

jamescheong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By jamescheong

Maybe you've heard about a real money auction house opening up in the near future?

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By baldgye

@koi said:

Maybe you've heard about a real money auction house opening up in the near future?

yeah but you can't take money out of the game right?

jamescheong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By jamescheong

I didn't look into the details regarding the real money AH but isn't the whole point so that you can buy/sell items and take that money out through a paypal account?

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By baldgye

@koi said:

I didn't look into the details regarding the real money AH but isn't the whole point so that you can buy/sell items and take that money out through a paypal account?

pretty sure they wont let you take money out, only put it in via paypal... though i could be wrong

jamescheong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By jamescheong
    eternalshades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#164  Edited By eternalshades

@baldgye: @baldgye said:

@koi said:

pretty sure they wont let you take money out, only put it in via paypal... though i could be wrong

You can take money out.

Read: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/events/diablo3-announcement/index.html#auction:auction-faq

dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

Well I just had an interesting conversation.

I'm gonna be upfront about this: Session ID spoofing was not the cause of my loss.

Somewhere along the line I MUST have used a previous password, because that's how some asshat in China got at my stuff, a user/pass login. I still have no idea how this was obtained, maybe a keylogger in the past that is no longer on my system. I'm now seriously thinking about a full wipe and reinstall.

I will find the hat and the crow in a little bit.

But here are some interesting tidbits from the call:

• The CS budget for Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 is not the same as WoW and is in fact much lower simply because WoW sub fees pay for it.
    • The CS rep was really nice. Seemed like an actual human. In fact, this is what he added to the ticket:
    As discussed over the phone, I've restored your account back to the point before it was accessed by the hacker. Let's hope you can now keep protecting your account and information from these "parasites" that keep wanting to ruin our game :|
    • Character snapshots are taken at the beginning of every session. So if you are super paranoid about this happening and want to prevent a huge loss, when logging off, log back in and reload the character, even if it's just to the main menu. I was able to get all my stuff back with zero loss because I had luckily done this.
    • The asshat from China logged into my account 10 minutes after I logged off that morning? COINCIDENCE? Yeah, probably, I'm not going to read too much into the time frame, but it is odd.
    • My character was cleaned out within the space of 3 minutes. I can't even fathom how that's possible outside of using an external application to do it.

I'm definitely not saying that everyone who has been hacked only has themselves to blame, there are way too many unexplained reports, but I will say this. Be real about it. Don't beat your chest if you could possibly be to blame in some remote way.

Man up, call Blizzard directly, and find out what happened.

Me? I have this rather fetching (if poorly edited) hat and crow to scarf down.
    Me? I have this rather fetching (if poorly edited) hat and crow to scarf down.
    ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#166  Edited By ichthy

Good to hear that things went well with you. At first I bought the session ID theory, but just thinking about it more and more makes it seem less credible. If it really was such an easy security loophole for hackers to get by, shouldn't people losing items gold be a lot more rampant than it actually is? And what's more likely, a huge hole in Blizzard's security...or people lying on the internet? And for people claiming that lots of people are getting hacked...well no shit. 6.3 million people bought this game. If the percentage of people that get hacked is roughly the same as any other online game where this happens, then more people are going to get hacked than usual. All the people not getting hacked aren't complaining, so of course it's going to feel like hacking is more rampant than it actually is.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By SmilingPig

They are already selling power-leveling and gold for Diablo3. Blizzard is a magnet for hackers and gold farmers.

I want my offline Diablo 3.

dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

@ichthy: But on the other hand it's totally credible, depending on how Blizzard has configured their session IDs, which we can't possibly know. It does lend credence to why only one character on an account containing many is affected. We won't ever know.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By EXTomar

The classic issue is that it isn't Battle.net that has the issue but the third party and this is includes real world friends and acquaintances. All too often someone signs up at "www.d3classnounadjective.com" with the same email address and password. Hackers get access to those systems, dump out the contents and see "soandso@hotmail.com" with "1337pass" and turn around and try it at hotmail.com and battle.net just to see if it works. The second but less reliable way they get this stuff is by injecting trojans from rogue sites which are harder to pull off but can still happen. Someone will browse to downloaded a tool that claims to be a "trainer" or a "gear optimizer" or "damage calculator" and grabs the stuff it needs and tells homebase. The "best" ones convince them to willing enter piece of information instead of search for it.

I am not discounting there isn't a serious bug (I wonder if there has been partial rollbacks or sweeps of accidentally created bad items) but for years outright take over of accounts in Blizzard games have used tactics like that. This is why they put so much effort into the transaction system for tracing and auditing (and why they got so good at restores in WoW) and why they push the authenticator so hard. If there is a problem then they've exposed their whole system to a lot of hacking which includes SC2 and WoW and given the man hours put into both of those clients it seems remote that something pops up now. If this is possible that would imply the way Diablo 3 is built is "weird" compared to SC2 and WoW or the whole thing is flawed. Either are not impossible but they are quite a remarkable claim to make.

jamescheong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By jamescheong

This thing is moving so fast and so many people that I don't think it's just a matter of OMG USE THE AUTHENTICATOR / KEYLOGGER / PHISHED / etc

That's just copping out to the easiest tricks out there to get your shit stolen, and much more important stuff than D3 gear that's for sure. When I see my bank accounts and emails getting compromised on top of this, I'll consider those other things as possibilities.

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3d2213a4d
    deactivated-64ba3d2213a4d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@koi said:

This thing is moving so fast and so many people that I don't think it's just a matter of OMG USE THE AUTHENTICATOR / KEYLOGGER / PHISHED / etc

That's just copping out to the easiest tricks out there to get your shit stolen, and much more important stuff than D3 gear that's for sure. When I see my bank accounts and emails getting compromised on top of this, I'll consider those other things as possibilities.

Considering how many gaming related forums and sites (and games!) got hacked in the past few months, I'd imagine these "hacks" are really just that data being used.

As has been previously mentioned, there have been no cases of Authenticator protected accounts being taken, and Blizzard has been pretty clear that compromised accounts have been logged into rather than hijacked in some way.

The more I think about the password I used before I was hacked, the more I think it was the same password i used for Champions online (which was recently hacked.) That is probably not a common thread though.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By SomeJerk
    "We have reviewed our logs for the Diablo III account attached to this Battle.net account, and it does not appear that it was compromised from an unauthorized third party. As a result, no restoration was performed." 

Welp. I won't complain if lawsuits arise from this.
    Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Cataphract1014

@SomeJerk said:

"We have reviewed our logs for the Diablo III account attached to this Battle.net account, and it does not appear that it was compromised from an unauthorized third party. As a result, no restoration was performed." Welp. I won't complain if lawsuits arise from this.

No they won't.

If you don't believe Blizzard when they say there was no compromise, why would you believe joe-internet when he said he got hacked?

I believe Blizzard's word over random internet guy.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#174  Edited By jakob187

@Bobby_The_Great said:

That's why I have an Authenticator on my account.

I've personally known five people that had their accounts hacked for WoW, and they had authenticators.

That's like saying condoms will definitely get no one pregnant.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#175  Edited By Dagbiker

I will not be satisfied until blizzard releases the source code for D3. Then I can rest assured that no one can hack into it.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By SomeJerk

Youtube videos detailing random high levels coming into act1 normal and stripping naked selling their goods and trading the gold to a lv1 chinese mule are no proof of this happening. They're photoshopped. The Iraqi Information Minister is also totally not working for Blizzard and shilling on countless forums on the internet.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By EXTomar

@SomeJerk said:

"We have reviewed our logs for the Diablo III account attached to this Battle.net account, and it does not appear that it was compromised from an unauthorized third party. As a result, no restoration was performed." Welp. I won't complain if lawsuits arise from this.

What would be the basis for a lawsuit? You don't own the character or any items.

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By baldgye

non of my online tickets have been answered and i posted them yesterday afternoon... going to call in a bit i think

dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

@baldgye said:

non of my online tickets have been answered and i posted them yesterday afternoon... going to call in a bit i think

Definitely do that. Do it now if you haven't done so already. Best way to get a response bar none.

PhilDanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By PhilDanger

This just happened to me also. Logged into find everything gone. I do not have any friends playing Diablo 3 and I have not shared my account info with anyone. All of my playing has been done single player in private games. I performed a virus scan and nothing malicious was found nor any warnings given. I'm 100% sure my account was not compromised through a phishing scam. I did not have an authenticator on my account (I do now though).

Despite having only played single player games, there is one person in my recently played with list (Businessman). Also my campaign progress was advanced. I had not beaten Azmodan (on normal) but now it shows me being a couple of quests into Act IV.

I do not think this was due to someone logging into my account. The fact that someone is showing up on my recently played list and my campaign progress advanced (did the thief play my campaign before he stole my stuff?) leads me to believe that the thiefs are using some other method to gain access to accounts.

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By baldgye

@dekkadekkadekka said:

@baldgye said:

Definitely do that. Do it now if you haven't done so already. Best way to get a response bar none.

yeah I well after i said that there 'solituon' wasn't enough i got a huge letter back basically saying that I could have a roll back if I wanted, but given that my mate gave me a bunch of better shit he had found anyway I juts ignoored it and carried on, I've attachted an authenticator to my account now too and just hope that it dsn't happen again, though I have little faith in blizz's security

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Cataphract1014

@baldgye: Authenticators aren't 100% protection but they are probably 99%. Most fortune 500 companies use a similar system as Blizzard for their log in systems.

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By baldgye

@Cataphract1014 said:

@baldgye: Authenticators aren't 100% protection but they are probably 99%. Most fortune 500 companies use a similar system as Blizzard for their log in systems.

makes little diffrence if there database isn't secure in anyway

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Anund

Well, I got hacked but I believe my password was the same one I used back when PSN got hacked. I went through and changed a bunch of passwords back then but I haven't played any Blizzard games until now: guess I forgot to change it. Now I have a naked level 35 wizzy who can't even touch the basic skellies in Nightmare.

They took all gear off my main dude, the stash was cleared out and all my money is gone but at least they didn't steal the account itself and all my alts are untouched. Thanks for that I guess!

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By TehBuLL
    @Anund

Well, I got hacked but I believe my password was the same one I used back when PSN got hacked. I went through and changed a bunch of passwords back then but I haven't played any Blizzard games until now: guess I forgot to change it. Now I have a naked level 35 wizzy who can't even touch the basic skellies in Nightmare.

Only the gear on my main dude, including back pack, and the stash was cleared out, and all my money is gone but at least they didn't steal the account itself and all my alts are untouched.

@baldgye

@Cataphract1014 said:

Which it is, so I guess it makes a difference.
    TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By TehBuLL
    @PhilDanger

This just happened to me also. Logged into find everything gone. I do not have any friends playing Diablo 3 and I have not shared my account info with anyone. All of my playing has been done single player in private games. I performed a virus scan and nothing malicious was found nor any warnings given. I'm 100% sure my account was not compromised through a phishing scam. I did not have an authenticator on my account (I do now though).

Despite having only played single player games, there is one person in my recently played with list (Businessman). Also my campaign progress was advanced. I had not beaten Azmodan (on normal) but now it shows me being a couple of quests into Act IV.

I do not think this was due to someone logging into my account. The fact that someone is showing up on my recently played list and my campaign progress advanced (did the thief play my campaign before he stole my stuff?) leads me to believe that the thiefs are using some other method to gain access to accounts.

Was your password used somewhere else? Don't just answer fast, think about it, then realize the hackers have a list of every password you've used with an account associated with your email.
    baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By baldgye

@TehBuLL said:

@Anund

Only the gear on my main dude, including back pack, and the stash was cleared out, and all my money is gone but at least they didn't steal the account itself and all my alts are untouched.

@baldgye

@Cataphract1014 said:

Which it is, so I guess it makes a difference.

you'd know

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Cataphract1014

@baldgye said:

@Cataphract1014 said:

And where have you heard their databases isn't secure? Conjecture from some random guy on the internet? I'll believe Blizzard saying their has been no breach of their system over some dude on the internet saying he was hacked with an authenticator on his account.

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By baldgye

@Cataphract1014 said:

@baldgye said:

@Cataphract1014 said:

And where have you heard their databases isn't secure? Conjecture from some random guy on the internet? I'll believe Blizzard saying their has been no breach of their system over some dude on the internet saying he was hacked with an authenticator on his account.

I know that i and all of the other people who have been hacked where hacked through some super elabrate keylogger or phishing scam in order to make them money for when the RMAH launches and weather it was a breach at there end of through the use of a glitch in the game giving people access to other people's accounts regardless of there participation in public games... so I've no idea how the hack works or how people where able to get into my account.

All i know is that blizz support has been very poor on the matter compared to Valve (who i've had dealings with in the past) and I sued to put the two studios in the same company. And that I have little to no trust in how secure there system is, especially after the statment they gave basically saying that if you wanted your bnet account to be secure you had to use an authenticator... a quite ludacris statement as there login/password system should be secure enough (as it is for my steam account).

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Cataphract1014

@baldgye: Blizzard has come out and said there was no breach of their servers and there was no session ID spoofing in public games. If you don't trust them when they say it, are you going to trust on the matter.

An authenticator is an added measure of protection. It isn't that they don't trust their servers. They don't trust their customers to not get keylogged. Steam has a sort of built in authentication system just like Blizzard with the steamguard or whatever. And also, your steam account isn't that valuable to someone looking to make money off of it. They can't sell your games. I guess they could sell the account, but it would just get shutdown once you reported it. WIth an MMO they have a way to make money without needing to take the account itself.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.