Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 15, 2012

Diablo III returns to the world of Sanctuary twenty years after the events of Diablo II with a new generation of heroes that must defeat the demonic threat from Hell.

My thoughts about Diablo 2 and 3

gerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

Edited By gerp

I don't like Diablo 2. Now let me explain, I'm a 17 year old kid who has been playing games his whole life. I hadn't played a Diablo game till about 2 months before the release of Diablo 3. Everyone was talking about how fucking big it was going to be and how amazing Diablo 2 was and how its been so long blah blah blah. So I went on amazon found Diablo 2 and brought it.

Now i got the game I installed it picked my class (Druid) and I was off, and Wow did I have a shit time I had no idea what anything was, the game looked like shit, and yes I understand that it was 2000 and thats just what games looked like. What I don't understand are the people who say Diablo 3 doesn't look like Diablo. The game barely had a art style(Diablo 2) at least from my point of view. Also i would just look at the box for Diablo 3 and think this does say Diablo on it and it looks like this so this must be what Diablo looks like. They never really Explained anything, it was hard to compare loot, all the loot i got looked the same.Then I died lost it all and said well fuck it looks like I'm done here.

The Diablo 3 came out it was kind of a cluster fuck on day one i waited to get it till after Brad's review read it, he liked it so i thought i probably would got the game, and well sure as shit i did like it beat it the first time my girl looked completely different I felt so much more badass and i had gotten all the cool skills, and i thought about my time with Diablo 2 and said well shit i didn't feel any different after beating the first act or look any different.

Then I hit the forums and there just just shit tons of people talking mess about Diablo 3. How its a piece of shit nothing like the first game. I thought well i couldn't like and shit game and dislike a good one gave Diablo 2 another chance but still no luck.

I think it's probably a generational thing how everyone who loved Diablo 2 and say it just kind of has a certain feeling about it that Diablo 2 just can't capture. Well its the other way around for me.

gerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By gerp

I don't like Diablo 2. Now let me explain, I'm a 17 year old kid who has been playing games his whole life. I hadn't played a Diablo game till about 2 months before the release of Diablo 3. Everyone was talking about how fucking big it was going to be and how amazing Diablo 2 was and how its been so long blah blah blah. So I went on amazon found Diablo 2 and brought it.

Now i got the game I installed it picked my class (Druid) and I was off, and Wow did I have a shit time I had no idea what anything was, the game looked like shit, and yes I understand that it was 2000 and thats just what games looked like. What I don't understand are the people who say Diablo 3 doesn't look like Diablo. The game barely had a art style(Diablo 2) at least from my point of view. Also i would just look at the box for Diablo 3 and think this does say Diablo on it and it looks like this so this must be what Diablo looks like. They never really Explained anything, it was hard to compare loot, all the loot i got looked the same.Then I died lost it all and said well fuck it looks like I'm done here.

The Diablo 3 came out it was kind of a cluster fuck on day one i waited to get it till after Brad's review read it, he liked it so i thought i probably would got the game, and well sure as shit i did like it beat it the first time my girl looked completely different I felt so much more badass and i had gotten all the cool skills, and i thought about my time with Diablo 2 and said well shit i didn't feel any different after beating the first act or look any different.

Then I hit the forums and there just just shit tons of people talking mess about Diablo 3. How its a piece of shit nothing like the first game. I thought well i couldn't like and shit game and dislike a good one gave Diablo 2 another chance but still no luck.

I think it's probably a generational thing how everyone who loved Diablo 2 and say it just kind of has a certain feeling about it that Diablo 2 just can't capture. Well its the other way around for me.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By mikeeegeee

@gerp said:

well sure as shit i did like it beat it the first time

If I'm reading this correctly, you beat the game once? On normal difficulty? If that's the case, I really don't feel you're in a position to understand or weigh in on the complaints levied against the game.

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zithe

@gerp: Did you play D2 in a window (800x600) or try to stretch it out over your whole screen? The game looks much better in a window at its native resolution. Also make sure you upped the resolution to 800x600 (yes, the default before the expansion was even lower than that.)

Diablo 2 is much more mechanically dense than 3 as well. You just hopped in blind and didn't dig into it at all from the sounds of it. Playing with friends is also a lot more fun than single player. Especially if you played offline. Not being able to trade with other players is a huge factor. I can hop into Diablo 2 and show you the ropes if you would like.

Word of warning though: the official battle.net servers were filled with bots spamming and trying to sell you items the last time I checked so it's best to join a private community or only play with friends in passworded games.

gerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gerp

@mikeeegeee: Nope, i probably should have written that better. I just beat it on Hell and am starting in on Inferno.

gerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gerp

@Zithe: Yeah i played it at 800by 600 at full screen on a 2560by1440 monitor all by myself and had no idea what any of the skills or attributes were or really did.

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zithe

@gerp: That's a really big monitor. The windowed mode might be too small for it. If you have any interest in playing it though, feel free to let me know. I wouldn't mind hopping back in.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I think Diablo 2 looks great for its age. It's a shame you didn't find it enjoyable. Diablo 2 is a great game (arguably one of the best ever) and while Diablo 3 didn't quite live up to 2's legacy, it's still a pretty good game.

gerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gerp

@Zithe: I couldn't even find a windowed setting in the options if i'm remembering correctly.

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Zithe

@gerp: Yeah it's old school. You have to change it in the properties of the shortcut you use to launch the game.

1. Right click the shortcut
    2. Click Properties
    3. Click the Shortcut tab
    4. Add a space and then -w to the end of the Target line. So it should look like: "C:\blahblah\game.exe" -w

This is assuming you are using Windows and not the Mac version.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Giantstalker

I don't think anyone can deny that D3 is a lot different than D2 - the older game was a lot more complicated, it's considerably more unforgiving, and yes the visuals are kinda dated.

Even Titan Quest - an imitator of the franchise - was more like Diablo 2 than Diablo 3 in terms of mechanics.

The massive pre-existing fanbase for Diablo was expecting something more along the lines of 2 and less something new. People can argue if it's inferior or superior all they want, but I don't think anybody will contest that it's just a far different game than it used to be.

What's really interesting is that, while Diablo 2 was a radically changed game compared to Diablo, that transition happened with a lot less controversy than what's happening between 2 and 3.

makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By makari

When people complain about D3 being more of a grind, not as customizable, having bad unique items and not as much content as D2 it always makes me wonder what fantasy-world D2 they played.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.