Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 15, 2012

Diablo III returns to the world of Sanctuary twenty years after the events of Diablo II with a new generation of heroes that must defeat the demonic threat from Hell.

Necromancer DLC

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

According to Blizzard's Blog the new Necromancer class is set to launch on June 27th for $14.99. I'm one of those crazy people who gives a damn about this and will be there day 1. I have at least one level 70 for each class and still continue to play this game from time to time so this is right up my alley.

It's weird seeing paid DLC for this game so far out from it's original release date but the amount of working in putting in a new class is pretty sizable when you think about everything it has to interact with and do.

Just wanted to let the good people know and spread the word.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

15 for just the one class? Wow, and i hate summoner builds anyway.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suppose it's a bit steep but $15 isn't much different than $10 or whatever people think this should cost in the long run. (I would assume the vast majority think this should be a free upgrade but c'est la vie...) I myself love summoner classes, or at least dig having a vast army of AI to do my dirty work. It's pretty much one step removed from a clicker so I should probably just give in and play one of those.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My kneejerk reaction was "Oh hell no", but a new class adds a lot of gameplay, so I guess that's fair.

Still, I think I'm just ready for a Diablo 4 over more D3 content now.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont want to hijack the thread so edit of necessary, but grim dawn has an expansion coming with a necro and another class as well. No price yet but i wouldn't doubt its not much more than what they feel they can charge for one class. :-/

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Adding a class to a game as developed as Diablo 3 is takes work but it is a tough thing about these games getting support long term. I can't say I love it either but seems consistent with other games, like mentioned. Across genres, the Warhammer game had new races at like $18. We have seen some of what goes into adding characters for fighting games.

For me this is why I prefer they package things together for a larger expansion.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Eh. Diablo 3 was one of those games that I played through, felt like I'd seen it, and then never touched it again. Just too many little issues stacked on top of each other for me to really enjoy it. The idea of paying $15 for a single class without any content to go along with it isn't really doing anything to change that viewpoint.

Really, they should just move onto D4. Although the rumor is that might end up being some MMO kind of thing, which I personally think would suck.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MezZa

I'm okay with $15 considering one of the main things that makes a difference in gameplay is what class you play. A new class means dozens of new skills/passives and 4 new sets. I've got anywhere between fifty to three-hundred hours per class so if the necro holds up another couple hundred hours is worth it. Granted a new game altogether is still the better value, but if you're not interested in paying for a dlc for a 2014 game then there are more recent options out there like Grim Dawn or PoE's act expansion.

And at this point if they don't do this nothing new is going to get released for Diablo 3 while we wait for 4. I doubt the higher-ups approve a lot of resource allocation for that team of 3ish people anymore unless they show they can make some money.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: It won't be a serious summoner build I'm sure; probably just like 5-6 minions max; not D2 afk and teleport with 30 skeletons.

$15 is a fair price for this considering all the work that goes into the characters/gear/voice/story etc. but they probably still should have put it lower for a few weeks just to limit negative response. If you put any serious time into a class you're looking at least 50 hours of content; for some hundreds. For me Monk and Crusader never get old to play really and DH/Witch Doctor are solid as well (though the other two are pretty boring, was the same story in D2 where some classes were just lame).

I still technically owe Blizzard like $80-120 for that Hearthstone beta key I sold way back when for 250 bucks so I might buy it for that and this. Of course if I do buy it please Blizzard overlords let the stock price fall after Blizzcon like it has the past two years, k thanks.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@lawgamer: Warcraft 4 is next, then Starcraft 3 maybe, then Diablo; D4 is probably like a 2022+ release. Overwatch 2 probably comes out before then. D2 HD soon.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MezZa

@fredchuckdave: Correct. The only pet set is much more active than the usual summoner people think of. Most of the minions are temporary and you have to keep refreshing them to keep your dps and dr buffs up. I'd go so far to say as people looking for a D2 summoner that can fill the screen with permanent pets and sit back are probably the ones who will be disappointed.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawgamer said:

Really, they should just move onto D4. Although the rumor is that might end up being some MMO kind of thing, which I personally think would suck.

Swery's got you covered on D4 my man. (sorry, I had to)

I randomly deleted one of my characters a couple months ago thinking that the necro DLC had come and gone without anyone talking about it so I guess at this point I'm already committed, although maybe I'll wait for it to drop to about $10.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

I get the feeling a lot of people that have posted here haven't seen much of how Diablo 3 has evolved since launch. They've added tons of new content and have made it infinitely more replayable. I'll probably get this just because I'll always have an itch for some Diablo, and this is a good excuse to get back into it.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@mezza: Like me for instance, except I knew beforehand that based on the game system/design that that would be the case so that softens the nonexistent blow. Afking with Necro is super fun in D2 still; even in Arcane Sanctuary. Also stacking clay golem slow + frost + kelpie snare proc on merc + defile or whatever that curse is called causes Baal to do literally nothing and get perma hit stunned; pretty funny.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering the fate of Titan, I'd be surprised if Blizzard tries make another MMO again.

If they didn't already have a MOBA, I'd think D4 could maybe be that. But since they do, maybe some sort of asymmetrical competitive game is the option. It's an esports genre blizzard isn't in yet.

On the otherhand, Diablo always sells well, so maybe D4 will just be more of the same.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

15 bucks is fine with me. I have yet to miss a season, though I don't reach insane Paragons levels ever. Having another character to play with will be great. I also really enjoyed the Necromancer in D2, so I am looking forward to playing him again.
    You also get some cosmetic items, but the main other thing you get for those $15 are two more character slots, something which I would gladly pay a bit for anyway.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By Bollard

I get the feeling a lot of people that have posted here haven't seen much of how Diablo 3 has evolved since launch. They've added tons of new content and have made it infinitely more replayable. I'll probably get this just because I'll always have an itch for some Diablo, and this is a good excuse to get back into it.

I never picked up Reaper of Souls (or did any of the post game Paragon level stuff they added after launch), so I was wondering if you think it's worth jumping back in? The Reaper expansion is also £15 here in the UK - to be honest I'm wondering if there will be a Necro + Reaper bundle for less. If I was to go back, what should I look to buy to add to the base game, in your opinion?

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the price is completely fair. Blizzard has put in so much free content and added a ton of stuff to the game. If you haven't played the game in years and are complaining about no new content to go with this DLC you should seriously check out Reaper of Souls.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, I only started playing it after RoS. It just isn't what I want out of a Diablo game. What hooked me with the first couple of games was the atmosphere and sense of isolation. I think that's almost entirely absent in Diablo 3. You have chatty companion characters who never shut up, a stupid story, and the graphics are just too damn cartoony. I can't say that I was particularly fond of the leveling system either. I want the anticipation of plunking in skill points and stat points on a level up. Just having that stuff handed to you, as it is in Diablo 3, is far less satisfying.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blizzard has added an enormous amount of content to Diablo III, even in the last year alone, for no cost whatsoever. $15 is steep for a single class, sure. But it's an easy way to tip the developer if you've continued to enjoy the ever-changing Diablo III experience.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#22  Edited By ArbitraryWater

If this had come out closer to Reaper of Souls, I might've jumped on it, but $15 feels pretty steep as someone who didn't play Diablo 3 "to the max." Unfortunately, my fundamental issues with that game and its heroin drip-feed loop/consequence-free character building remain, and bringing back one of my favorite classes doesn't really change that.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard said:
    @jjweatherman said:

I never picked up Reaper of Souls (or did any of the post game Paragon level stuff they added after launch), so I was wondering if you think it's worth jumping back in? The Reaper expansion is also £15 here in the UK - to be honest I'm wondering if there will be a Necro + Reaper bundle for less. If I was to go back, what should I look to buy to add to the base game, in your opinion?

I'd say if you're in the mood for more Diablo to buy the Reaper of Souls expansion and see how into the changes you are. They've added a ton of systems, simplified the inventory and UI in spots, and have added modes that just make it a lot easier to grind infinitely for loot. At launch you just had to keep replaying the story progression, which was just kinda bad; it's much improved.

Anyway, I'd say do that and if you're into the changes you can spend the $15 on the Necromancer, but it honestly only seems necessary if you're already committed to some degree.

Oh also, I just read the FAQ on Blizzard's site and it says this in regards to a bundle:

Q: What is the Diablo III: Eternal Collection?

A: Players on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One will have the opportunity to purchase an all-in-one package in the Eternal Collection. This bundle includes both the Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition and the Rise of the Necromancer pack, and will be available at a special introductory price of $39.99 USD (reg. $59.99 SRP).

So that seems like a good option.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawgamer said:
    @jjweatherman said:

I mean, I only started playing it after RoS. It just isn't what I want out of a Diablo game. What hooked me with the first couple of games was the atmosphere and sense of isolation. I think that's almost entirely absent in Diablo 3. You have chatty companion characters who never shut up, a stupid story, and the graphics are just too damn cartoony. I can't say that I was particularly fond of the leveling system either. I want the anticipation of plunking in skill points and stat points on a level up. Just having that stuff handed to you, as it is in Diablo 3, is far less satisfying.

Some good points. It's not a perfect game by any means, but I don't know, man. It can feel really good to crush demons with some of the more devastating skills. Moment to moment I think it's pretty top tier, but yeah, some of the higher level ideas fall a little flat at times. Also I think I've accepted long ago that no Diablo will likely ever live up to Diablo 2 for me, and that's okay.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i wish they made a new expansion that included the necromancer. I will probably buy the necromancer anyway cause DIII still is a really good game.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'v played it a ton on pc, but i may pick up the PS4 release and start fresh for a change of pace. I only play solo for the most part anyways so might be neat.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know, one of my big problems with Diablo 3 is that all of the classes feel like they play the same so I don't really know if a new class is interesting enough to spend $15 on. Maybe if I get the itch to play again I will pick it up.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@sanity: Protip for PS4: Get 500+ Blood Shards, gamble them all away and then quit to the dashboard if you don't like what you got, repeat for full sets on everything and so on.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played it for a bit and im not really feeling it so far. A bit of a bummer because the necro was my favorite from diablo 2. Right now Im REALLY not liking how my summons only last a few seconds. I know there is a witch doctor and all but, what the fuck. Hopefully this changes as I level him up a bit more. In the end, I have every other class at level 70 so I'm going to eventually max this guy out.

Also, I found it really weird how there they didnt start a new season with the release of the necro.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu said:

I played it for a bit and im not really feeling it so far. A bit of a bummer because the necro was my favorite from diablo 2. Right now Im REALLY not liking how my summons only last a few seconds. I know there is a witch doctor and all but, what the fuck. Hopefully this changes as I level him up a bit more. In the end, I have every other class at level 70 so I'm going to eventually max this guy out.

Also, I found it really weird how there they didnt start a new season with the release of the necro.

Yeah I read on reddit that a lot of criticisms and feedback from the beta went unanswered and the class was dumped into live as is including a lot of bugs that didn't get fixed yet. This is kind of a bummer but I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a sale and the changes in the coming months.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu: The season start is mainly a result of their patching policies during seasons. This gives them 3 weeks to make sure nothing about the necromancer is horribly broken when exposed to a large pool of players. They don't patch or hotfix during seasons anymore so rather than just leaving it hanging and hoping for the best they delayed the season. It also lines it up with PoE as well I guess if they're trying to hold a bit of the playerbase on their side.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu: Ye, skeletal mage is just a giant bummer. I guess it does good damage and all, but there's something about having to resummon pets constantly that feels crappy. Same thing goes for bone armor, I just don't like "maintenance" abilities like that, and it's so core to the class. Probably doesn't help that I'm using the scythe that cuts down its duration, but that thing is way too good to not use. The passive skills are also extremely lackluster, not really adding any interesting takes on builds. Hell, the move speed one doesn't even stack on top of the 25% cap. My biggest hope right now is that the skeleton storm build might be fun. If it's not I've had some decent fun with corpse lance, but relying on corpses for end-game builds seems insanely sketchy.

shaggydude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I still love this game and I will probably buy whatever they want to keep adding to the game. I'm not sure what a Diablo 4 would have to offer that this game doesnt already do. Hey! Remember when there was a real money auction house for this game? That shit was kinda cool and now its gone! Crazy.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shaggydude: Oh god, I'd completely forgotten about that. Crazy experiment. Those just never work out though. The Forza auction house comes to mind as another good example of a solid try that just ended up being kind of useless. Everyone just inevitably asks ungodly amounts of money for their items that clearly don't warrant that much, and it's just a waste of time for everyone involved.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lanechanger said:

@xanadu said:

Yeah I read on reddit that a lot of criticisms and feedback from the beta went unanswered and the class was dumped into live as is including a lot of bugs that didn't get fixed yet. This is kind of a bummer but I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a sale and the changes in the coming months.

That always happens. Blizzard likes to say they listen to their fanbase, but they really don't. People buy this shit regardless, so I don't really blame them for not caring, but it still sucks.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It seems cool, I have a platinum trophy on PS4 and I haven't played it in a long time. It's really cool to see something new in it.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On a side note i really hope the rumors that theres a D2 remaster in the works are true, i would play that forever. I love that game so much but now days its a bummer to play in 4:3 res.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

My first Necromancer (Korbal) is level 61 now, and I can safely say it is one of my favorite classes in the game. The different ways you can play, and the different ways your skills can fit together, is pretty damn fun. Plan to reach 70, then play some more just to familiarize myself more with the class, then wait for the next season.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By Tennmuerti

The fact that there was no new season with the launch of the Necromancer I feel like a good thing overall. It made me just make one on the regular which meant I could boost my necro to 70 and into torments very fast. With something like Litany of the Forsaken taking the Necro straight into T9 while still being basically completely flexible with the builds.

As far as the class itself is concerned I am loving it so far, i think the skills look and feel great visually and feedback wise. Not sure why people are concerned/complaining about pet permanence. There are skills for that if you want to go that route. I am currently using Command Skeleton, Golem and Revive with Purgatory rune, there you got a permanent 18 man army. My only concern about the skeleton mages is in regards to the pet set, since that requires constant re summoning of them, yes I can see how that would be a pain in the ass if you want to use that particular set. As it is in it's vanilla form use the Singularity rune on the mage summon, with a couple of essence boosters you get a 10x dps buffed mage way better then summoning the regular mages one by one.

I can't wait to get the complete sets proper together and start trying out other play styles for realzies.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.