Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 15, 2012

Diablo III returns to the world of Sanctuary twenty years after the events of Diablo II with a new generation of heroes that must defeat the demonic threat from Hell.

PSA: Turn on Elective Mode

Blackmoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Blackmoore

I thought I'd spread the message from a fellow guildmate (Strength in Honour!) - credit goes to him.

A lot of people who didn't play beta (and even some who did.) don't realize this is a thing.

Elective Mode is very important. Go to the skill calculator here:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#.

Notice how above each skill slot, it says Primary, Secondary, Defensive, Etc?

With EM off, which is the default, you can only assign those skills to those slots. Which cuts the number of possible builds available to you way way down. For example, with EM off, a Barb can't use both Bash and Cleave, if he were so inclined.

Turning EM on lets you put any skill anywhere (With some exceptions. They don't let you stick some skills on your LMB.), and lets come up with much more diverse builds. And just in general gives you more freedom.

I will never understand why Blizzard set it up this way. During beta, especially open beta, I saw a lot of complaints from people who didn't know the option existed.

Also, turn on Advanced Tool tips. Makes your tool tips actually tell you useful information. The default/simple tool tips in D3 are extremely basic (more than WoWs) and basically don't give you any numbers. That's bad.

So, now you know. (And knowing is half the battle.)

TL;DR: Turning elective mode on lets you place any skill anywhere by removing the skill categories on the hotbar. This allows you to make any build you want.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Marz

good to know.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By MikkaQ

Nice tip, thanks.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

thank you sir

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WMWA

Word. Thanks, dude

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

Now I know, and knowing is half the battle.

Solidsnak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Solidsnak

yeah that made the beta way more interesting

destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By destruktive

Thanks. I really had no idea about this.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TentPole

Why would they do this?

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#10  Edited By sgtsphynx

I was wondering if there was someway to do that, nice to know about this. Grazie

Henny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Henny

@TentPole: They did this so that they can expand their market segment to non-gamers and non-core gamers market i.e. your grandmothers and hippy aunts.

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Codeacious

@Henny: ...but isn't the greatest potential market for Diablo III all the people that enjoyed Diablo I/II way back in the day? Seems strange.

Anyway, thanks OP for bringing this up.

Avatar image for justthethreeofus
    JustTheThreeOfUs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JustTheThreeOfUs

Thank you very much! Its a shame that this isn't on by default but I'm glad they included it.

Henny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Henny

@isnipeyoudie: Those people are confirmed purchases. Blizzard is very good at balancing risk versus rewards. In this case, risk alienating the old school players by a little for an avalanche of new fans who will get hook on the digital morphine that is Diablo.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NickL

True story: I played all weekend on the open beta, looked at the options multiple times, and didn't notice this.

Thanks OP!

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NickL

@isnipeyoudie said:

@Henny: ...but isn't the greatest potential market for Diablo III all the people that enjoyed Diablo I/II way back in the day? Seems strange.

That is the greatest potential market, but that market is probably about a 75% guaranteed buy while outside of that market is probably a very very small guaranteed buy.

(I pulled the 75 out of my ass. It is just an example, I wouldn't be surprised if it was way off.)

Blackmoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Blackmoore

Tell your friends, I had to tell a bunch of people who didn't know.

theuselessgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18  Edited By theuselessgod

Wow, you just made this game a billion times better. Thanks!

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By BBAlpert

On a similar note, a lot of my other problems with the game revolving around the lack of specific numbers and stats could also be fixed with various optional settings. I have only played the beta, so maybe this has changed in the final release, but I really didn't like the way the game defined skills with ambiguous or subjective descriptions like "does light damage" or "slightly increased damage" as opposed to "does 16% weapon damage" or "adds 5 fire damage."

I was a lot happier with the game once it started giving me real numbers.

Redhorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Redhorn

What a bizarre thing to put in. Thanks for the heads up, I never would have guessed.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ravenlight

@BBAlpert said:

On a similar note, a lot of my other problems with the game revolving around the lack of specific numbers and stats could also be fixed with various optional settings. I have only played the beta, so maybe this has changed in the final release, but I really didn't like the way the game defined skills with ambiguous or subjective descriptions like "does light damage" or "slightly increased damage" as opposed to "does 16% weapon damage" or "adds 5 fire damage."

I was a lot happier with the game once it started giving me real numbers.

That's another option that they hid. If you hold Control and mouse over the skills, it gives a more number-y readout. There's an check box buried somewhere to toggle that on all the time, as well.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#22  Edited By Mnemoidian

@isnipeyoudie said:

If I'm missing sarcasm, I apologize for explaining the obvious and being humorless.

Otherwise:

The amount of people who are playing games have exploded in the last 12 years (since Diablo 2 was released in 2000). It's inevitable that there are a lot more potential customers who have never played a Diablo game before, compared to those who have: which is why "simplified" is the default.

I haven't put any thought or effort into character builds (yet?), but I expect that it's a lot harder to make a build that is straight up broken as long as you keep elective mode to off, while obviously, the potential for greatness is potentially (but not guaranteed) greater with it set to on.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By BBAlpert

I didn't really understand the reasoning behind making elective mode an off-by-default setting until I was watching the stream yesterday where Brad was playing D2. The instant he put points into his stats and skills, the chat exploded with talk of "oh God, he ruined the character. He should start over because he wasted those points." The default non-elective mode helps give a bit of structure for your build if you don't have something already in mind. If nothing else, it at least introduces newer players to the concept of specializing by skill types (a primary attack, secondary attack, and a few supports) as opposed to spreading your points among mutually exclusive skills (like weapon masteries or auras).

Granted, this issue is also already fixed by the ability to respec whenever you want, but I see why they'd go that extra step.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By veektarius

I suppose more flexibility is always better, but I think that the way skills are split up so far (I'm only level 12) is very logical. One free attack, one 'mana' attack, one utility skill, one movement skill... that's really as far as I've gotten.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By scarace360

Thanks for the PSA.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By The_Nubster

Give me options or give me death!

Thanks for this, and also it's nice that you didn't shit your pants with anger and then go give a 0 on Metacritic.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By Addfwyn

The option being off as default makes sense, as people have said. For the people who the system is good for, it's another safeguard from you just making a totally broken build. For the diehard diablo fans who want to tinker with minutia, they should have no problem finding the option and clicking it. That could be me though, the first thing I do in every game is look through the options and tweak stuff around.

Oh yeah, and Advanced Tooltips. Those are the other thing you'd want to turn on. Though again, for the players that just want to know 'this hits hard, this hits weak' it's perfectly fine. For the players who may just go through normal and call it quits, you probably never need to worry about these things.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Subjugation

Thanks for the heads up man. I didn't know about this feature, and I can tell already that it will make a big difference.

This PSA was brought to you by a kind, informed duder. Thanks duder.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ares42

Might also want to add that turning advanced tooltips on (the box above) is pretty damn essential for comparing skills. Was quite surprised at how little information the skills gave you before I discovered that one.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Scrawnto

Good on ya, mate. Everyone must know!

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#31  Edited By Oni

Bump because everyone should know this. The build I currently use on my Barbarian tears through everything, doesn't die and is very unorthodox, at least I think: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WQXYVR!Zcd!aaaZZZ

No fury-spending, three defensive abilities and two AOE's with cooldown. But my god does it work!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.