Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 15, 2012

Diablo III returns to the world of Sanctuary twenty years after the events of Diablo II with a new generation of heroes that must defeat the demonic threat from Hell.

Real Money AH will now require authenticators

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By mosdl

Link.

Basically if you want to add money to Battle.net to make any real money purchases or retrieve any money you make selling stuff, your account needs to have an authenticator attached. No big surprise here given the account hacking going on.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Driadon

Now I just hope they keep mixing up and refining the authenticator model, because a push like this is going to lead to a lot of people trying to crack that system.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By 71Ranchero

@Driadon said:

Now I just hope they keep mixing up and refining the authenticator model, because a push like this is going to lead to a lot of people trying to crack that system.

Im not sure Blizzards real money auction house is going to have an impact on the reliability of authenticators. The service is not exclusive to video games and its used in business all over the world. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digipass

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By toowalrus

Sounds good- the sooner they get this thing out, the better.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Doctorchimp

Can someone let me know when people start making Blizzard out to be a fascist corporation that would destroy the freedom of players so they could put a stop to the "hacking"?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By toowalrus

Also, anything involving Paypal and real money should be secure- I've got no problem with this.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ravenlight

@Doctorchimp said:

Can someone let me know when people start making Blizzard out to be a fascist corporation that would destroy the freedom of players so they could put a stop to the "hacking"?

Five posts an and that demographic hasn't shown up yet. Maybe they've already been hacked :P

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By mosdl

Authenticators can be hacked, but that requires hacking into Blizzard's system (or the provider of the service if they are using an existing one).

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Ares42

Calling it now, we're gonna see a mass of "follow this link and get 10% more blizz bucks for your money" email scams coming out. Digipass might be hard to hack, but it's still easy to spoof.

Hyperglide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Hyperglide

If you were going to use the real money AH WITHOUT an authenticator then you're an idiot. But there are a lot of those on battle.net so that explains why Blizzard had to make this mandatory.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Subjugation

Sounds good to me. I don't understand why people don't have a form of authenticator yet. If their account meant anything to them they would have one.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187

Accounts with authenticators can still be hacked. I've seen it happen to people plenty of times where I work. Hell, my buddy got hacked last week, and he's got an authenticator.

What they need to do is actually make Battle.net more secure rather than pushing the authenticator like it's the end-all be-all of security functions.

Nonetheless, I'm still curious to see what the RMAH is going to do to the overall gold economy of WoW. If someone knows that they can buy a weapon for a couple of bucks on the RMAH, then why the hell bother with getting the some-odd million gold it would take to get the same item? = /

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EXTomar

I don't think anyone is saying that 2 step authentication is 100% secure (*) but given the choice between hacking battle.net and "hacking something else", the "hacking something else" is always easier. I'm still stumped why people believe otherwise.

What is probably going to be the "next thing" is that people trying to root their phones forge that doing that exposes their phone to more than usual. Once the phone gives up the "serial number" for the authenticator they can plug that into the authenticator software and pass the challenge request. Of course that would require that third party to have access to the account username, account password too....and people will still yell at the provider like it is their fault.

(*) People forget the easiest way to beat the mobile authenticator requires no tech skills: You simply take the key fob or their phone.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

I seriously don't see the point of buying gold and weapons from auction houses. Isn't the whole point of this game finding better stuff, as soon as you buy the best stuff you are just not gonna have as much fun playing it.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ajamafalous
    @jakob187 said:

Accounts with authenticators can still be hacked. I've seen it happen to people plenty of times where I work. Hell, my buddy got hacked last week, and he's got an authenticator.

Does he have it set to ask every time or just when you attempt to log in from a new IP? Not having it ask every time is incredibly insecure because the IP can just be spoofed so that it won't ask. 

Also, @jakob187 said:

I'm still curious to see what the RMAH is going to do to the overall gold economy of WoW.

Typo?
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16  Edited By jakob187

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

I seriously don't see the point of buying gold and weapons from auction houses. Isn't the whole point of this game finding better stuff, as soon as you buy the best stuff you are just not gonna have as much fun playing it.

When the company themselves have admitted that they've manipulated the chances of "better drops for your character" in order to draw focus to the Auction House, that pretty much killed that idea anyways.

Even then, you have to look at the Auction House like this: it's basically a concentrated place where all of those good drops are posted up for you to actually look at and overview. When it comes down to it, there's no "right" piece of gear or "best stuff" because you will always be playing around with other builds and trying out different stat sets. This will become particularly true when PvP launches, which is the bread and butter of Diablo late-game.

In essence, it's a good thing that the AH is available because it thins the herd of drops while also giving people an organized area to actually do their trading beyond the trade chat. Back in the D2 days, you had to be in a lobby with someone and basically spam them about it before they got pissed off and left.

So far, I've been happy with having the Auction House available. I just wish that people would work out some better pricing. Right now, there doesn't seem to be much equalization going on.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EXTomar

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

The way the game's classes are designed, the odds are against you that you will find what you need for that particular character such that roughly only 1/5 of the drops will be useful to that character let alone be possible upgrades. So yes you could buy something off the auction house that is an upgrade but the chance is kind of remote that it will be replaced immediately.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@EXTomar said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

The way the game's classes are designed, the odds are against you that you will find what you need for that particular character such that roughly only 1/5 of the drops will be useful to that character let alone be possible upgrades. So yes you could buy something off the auction house that is an upgrade but the chance is kind of remote that it will be replaced immediately.

Your right when I play with my mate whos a mage, I just give any decent INT items to him and i get decent DEX items back.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bane

@jakob187 said:

[...]

Nonetheless, I'm still curious to see what the RMAH is going to do to the overall gold economy of WoW. If someone knows that they can buy a weapon for a couple of bucks on the RMAH, then why the hell bother with getting the some-odd million gold it would take to get the same item? = /

I read through a WTS thread on the official forums the other day where a crossbow had offers of up to $200. With that as a reference would buyouts in the double digit millions of gold equate to just a couple of bucks in the RMAH? I would be surprised if that ended up being the case.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Example1013

Rmah is going to create a separate pay-to-win tier of players, but thats besides the topic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.