Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 15, 2012

Diablo III returns to the world of Sanctuary twenty years after the events of Diablo II with a new generation of heroes that must defeat the demonic threat from Hell.

Scrubs ASK Vets ANSWER

happypup70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#201  Edited By happypup70

@Seppli said:

Q: Elemental Weapon Damage - what does it really do?

So I've noticed Cold Damage weapons snare, Lightning Damage weapons stun, and... really... what does fire, arcane, poison and holy damage do really? I've decided to go Holy damage with my latest weapon purchase, and now enemies die and puff away in a spray of sparkly diamond dust. Don't ask me what exactly Holy damage really does, but I'd really like to know.

I googled it a bit, and I came back none the wiser. Anybody got a clue, or a link to a decent wiki on the topic?

The biggest thing about elemental weapon damage is enemies have different resistance levels (just like you) and though I haven't seen it yet most likely there will be enemies immune to physical or other elemental damage.

happypup70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202  Edited By happypup70

@Seppli said:

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Why should I duel crossbow and not just go with crossbow/bow on my Demon Hunter?

Ontop of what StarvingGamer said - while 1-hand crossbows all have much higher RNG than the other ranged weapons, don't they all have higher DPS too? As far as I can tell, the handheld crossbows always have the highest DPS for ranged weapons in the same tier. Also - you can combine a snaring weapon with one that applies DoTs, and such things. Personally - I like using a 1-handed crossbow with a shield. 15-20% block chance and more protection are nothing to sneeze at, if you ever find yourself in a pickle.

From my experience the highest dps is with the 2 handed crossbows, bows are second and 1 handers are third. however all three have their pluses and minuses what you choose really depends on what skills you like the most. On top of that the archery passive further differentiates the different styles. Bows get a damage bonus and are for sustained dps. 2 hand crossbows get a crit damage increase and are designed for burst damage and 1 handers get a crit chance bonus and are more geared for AOE skills.

Redhorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#203  Edited By Redhorn
    @Seppli

Q: When buying an item in the auction house, where and how do I retreive it?

Go to the "completed" tab in the aution house and click "add to stash". Same with picking up gold for sold items.
    Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By Harkat

Q: Can you rotate the camera downwards so that you see the sky?

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#205  Edited By asmo917

I hit Act II last night (on normal, playing pretty slowly, I know) and it seems like there was a massive difficulty spike. I"m a Level 17 Barbarian, and I wonder if I'm taking the wrong approach to gear or if I'm just underpowered for the area? When it comes to gear, I'll sacrifice 50% of the base armor rating for 5 or 6% magic find, and I'll give up a point or two of DPS for life steal or life on kill.

This seemed like the way I played D2, but it's been 10+ years. Do I need to get over my magic property biases and just go for the highest numbers in armor and DPS?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#206  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Harkat said:

Q: Can you rotate the camera downwards so that you see the sky?

Nope

@Asmo917 said:

I hit Act II last night (on normal, playing pretty slowly, I know) and it seems like there was a massive difficulty spike. I"m a Level 17 Barbarian, and I wonder if I'm taking the wrong approach to gear or if I'm just underpowered for the area? When it comes to gear, I'll sacrifice 50% of the base armor rating for 5 or 6% magic find, and I'll give up a point or two of DPS for life steal or life on kill.

This seemed like the way I played D2, but it's been 10+ years. Do I need to get over my magic property biases and just go for the highest numbers in armor and DPS?

Not really. What happens in Act II is the game starts trying to teach you about avoiding attacks. Those bee guys shoot out a bunch of tiny bees that will kill any player of appropriate level if they take a full volley. Itemization is still going to be crap for your level.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#207  Edited By Andorski

Is there an option to optimize the UI for HDTVs? I have my room set-up so that I have a small Ikea laptop desk and chair that I position ~4 feet away from my HDTV when I use my computer. Windows 7's UI text is too small when at default, so I have the DPI set at 125% in order for me not to strain my eyes when reading anything on the screen. Does Diablo 3 have a similar option?

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By asmo917

@StarvingGamer: Thanks. Luckily I knew about the bees from TNT, so I've been super careful about avoiding them when possible. I started using some gear with better armor ratings and sacrificing the magic find in some cases and am doing a bit better. What do you mean by itemization will be crap? That the items I find will be mostly crap, that what I can equip will be generally crap, or both? I'd guess both since I'm only equipping what I find...

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#209  Edited By Seppli

Q: Do I level faster when not using a Follower.

After coop rounds, I often end up forgetting to bring a follower along. Sometimes it can be hours all on my own. Had the feeling I've made much faster XP progess without a Follower helping out. Can anybody confirm or deny that?

Leekspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By Leekspin

@Seppli said:

Q: Do I level faster when not using a Follower.

After coop rounds, I often end up forgetting to bring a follower along. Sometimes it can be hours all on my own. Had the feeling I've made much faster XP progess without a Follower helping out. Can anybody confirm or deny that?

You get the same XP with or without a follower

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#211  Edited By jaqen_hghar

Got a question: When socketing weapons or finding them with the "Each hit adds x+ Life" effect, how does this actually work? I am asking because I play the Monk, which has the basic attack called "Way of the Hundred Fists". Now, all of this basic attacks work on a three-hit combo system. This attack however, has a rapid-fire series of punches as the second combo hit. When having the damage numbers on you see a bunch of numbers fly off the enemy when that hits.

So my question is in regards to if that effect only apply to each combo hit, or each individual hit that damages enemies?

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#212  Edited By Panpipe

@Jaqen_HGhar said:

Got a question: When socketing weapons or finding them with the "Each hit adds x+ Life" effect, how does this actually work? I am asking because I play the Monk, which has the basic attack called "Way of the Hundred Fists". Now, all of this basic attacks work on a three-hit combo system. This attack however, has a rapid-fire series of punches as the second combo hit. When having the damage numbers on you see a bunch of numbers fly off the enemy when that hits.

So my question is in regards to if that effect only apply to each combo hit, or each individual hit that damages enemies?

I can't answer this properly, but I read a thread on Reddit about it the other day, you can read that here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/txkzp/psa_life_on_hit_and_life_steal_are_worsemore/

Basically, I think they balance hits so that Way of the Hundred Fists wouldn't have an unreasonable advantage over Deadly Reach when it comes to Life on Hit/Life Steal.

Here's a dummie question I hope:

When an item's stats are listed, are the magic bonuses already added to the top section? By that I mean, if your dagger has 20-45 damage, and one of your bonuses is 4-10 ice damage, is that already included in the 20-45 damage total?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#213  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Panpipe said:

When an item's stats are listed, are the magic bonuses already added to the top section? By that I mean, if your dagger has 20-45 damage, and one of your bonuses is 4-10 ice damage, is that already included in the 20-45 damage total?

Yes.

Static +dmg on the weapon is already counted in the stats. As is +X% dmg.

However stats such as DEX, INT, STR and +attack speed% are not automatically counted into the listed weapon damage because how much they will affect will depend on your current stats/class/build/buff etc.

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By Panpipe

@Tennmuerti said:

@Panpipe said:

Yes.

Static +dmg on the weapon is already counted in the stats. As is +X% dmg.

However stats such as DEX, INT, STR and +attack speed% are not automatically counted into the listed weapon damage because how much they will affect will depend on your current stats/class/build/buff etc.

Pretty sure that Increased Attack Speed is included in the stats. I like to use daggers with my monk for the AS. If you look for certain +AS you'll find that they all have the same speed like 1.7 instead of 1.5. Thanks for the answer though, I just kinda worked it out after staring at things on the AH.

Speak of the AH, it's a shame that weapons don't show their eventual DPS when equipped. I mean, you can select that you're looking for gear for a specific hero, surely it's not that hard to beyond comparing your equipped item to actually showing how it affects Damage, Health and Protection?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Panpipe:

Hmmm, I'll do a double check on the +attack speed% this weekend, just have had a crazy work week and was not playing much at all.

Because is attack speed is counted in the listed weapon DPS already, that means i made some bad purchasing decisions in the past :/

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By Icemo

@Tennmuerti: Weapons +attack speed percentage-attribute that is listed under the other attributes is already affecting said weapons attacks per second stat AND damage per second stat.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Icemo said:

@Tennmuerti: Weapons +attack speed percentage-attribute that is listed under the other attributes is already affecting said weapons attacks per second stat AND damage per second stat.

gnnnnn, well shit :(

good to know

at least it still boosts procs and resource generation :)

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By valrog

I have a question. When I unlock higher difficulties (I'm pretty early in the game, just recently defeated the Skeleton King), do I have to continue with my current character? Or can I create a new one (And not having to go with him through all difficulties again).

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#219  Edited By Xeirus

@valrog said:

I have a question. When I unlock higher difficulties (I'm pretty early in the game, just recently defeated the Skeleton King), do I have to continue with my current character? Or can I create a new one (And not having to go with him through all difficulties again).

You have to start from normal with every character, I had an alt ran through normal and it won't even let me go to nightmare until he is level 25.

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By Giefcookie

@valrog: Difficulties are unlocked on a per character basis. To play them you need to finish act IV on the previous difficulty AND be a certain level. LVL30 for nightmare, LVL50 for Hell and 60 for Inferno. That is mainly because the item progression continues directly from 1 difficulty to the next. You cannot start a new character on any difficulty other than Normal.

If you are having second thoughts about your class, Skeleton King is a good stopping point, pick another class and play up to him again.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By valrog

@Xeirus: @Giefcookie: Ah. That makes sense. Well, thank you for your replies.

Edit: Forgot to ask. Can you share items between characters (Like a shared storage or something)?

Edit edit: And when does this game save? Every time I teleport into the town? I had an unpleasant encounter today when I started playing when I stopped upon reaching a checkpoint, but the monsters respawned (And there was an Elite among them) and I had almost died. I want to save somewhere "safe", but other than checkpoint sign, I don't see any indications when the game is saved.

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By asmo917

@valrog said:

@Xeirus: @Giefcookie: Ah. That makes sense. Well, thank you for your replies.

Edit: Forgot to ask. Can you share items between characters (Like a shared storage or something)?

Edit edit: And when does this game save? Every time I teleport into the town? I had an unpleasant encounter today when I started playing when I stopped upon reaching a checkpoint, but the monsters respawned (And there was an Elite among them) and I had almost died. I want to save somewhere "safe", but other than checkpoint sign, I don't see any indications when the game is saved.

Yes, the stash is shared across characters.

Question: I just completed a quest in Act II where I need to retrieve someone's head. I don't have the Jeweler in my caravan yet. Have I missed him? Is it possible to miss him?

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By Xeirus

@Asmo917: Yeah, I think the jeweler is from act 3, in the sewers

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By Grillbar

@StarvingGamer said:

@xxNBxx: Marked for Death (Mortal Enemy) gives the DH 3 Hatred for every attack against the marked target. Rapid Fire shoots many arrows per second. Do I get 3 Hatred for every arrow fired, effectively giving me infinite/near infinite Hatred?

nope but it does prolong it and even more if you use the rune on rapid fire that reduces hatred cost

Edit: granted you can get stuff that regenerate hatred like items, the templar follower skill and the bat so if you only focus skills and items on hatred you might be able to do so but im not sure it is possible really far down the road

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By Grillbar

@Xeirus said:

@Asmo917: Yeah, I think the jeweler is from act 3, in the sewers

act 2 sewers

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By EXTomar

Definitely Act 2/Sewers, after you get the head.

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By Giefcookie

@valrog said:

The game saves your character pretty much once every 2seconds because its server side. Reaching a Checkpoint means you will respawn at that spot if you die or enter the game again. Every time you hit your Leave Game button means that the world you were in is gone. When you hit Resume game in the character menu, a new world is created, meaning everything is reset and new monsters are spawned. Only things that wont respawn are story bosses depending on the quest progress.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#228  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Stupid me thought this thread was somehow the cast of Scrubs asking war veterans questions...

Carry on!

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By valrog

@Giefcookie: That also explains my map progress getting wiped, but I figured it was being constantly generated.

Avatar image for blastprocessing
    BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By BlastProcessing

Q: Are we not men?

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By valrog

What do different attributes even do/affect stats? Also, do attributes have a different effect depending on what class you're playing? For example, does Strength have a different result on Demon Hunter than on Barbarian?

Also, do different classes provide different dialogue? What about male/female? I don't mean just the voice, but the content of spoken/written lines as well (Like quest entries (They seem to be in first person, so...), cutscene narratives, conversation with followers etc.).

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By sickVisionz

This here is an ultra basic question. I've never played Diablo before. What is the gameplay? I do like RPGs and I do like leveling up characters but I'm not sure if that would be enough to keep me into it. Is it kinda like Dungeon Siege III? Is the combat in the game kinda like DSIII or a Bayonetta style game where you in the middle of things doing combos and stuff or is it more like a MMO where you're just pressing hotkeys and waiting for cooldowns and more like a Dragon Age 1, Baldurs Gate, KotOR, etc?

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By Renahzor

@sickVisionz: Its the quintessential action RPG. You left click to move/main attack, rght click for secondary attack, and 1-4 hotkeys for other skills(all depending on setup). Basically you left click on something until it dies, and repeat, for basic gameplay. on higher difficulties you may be doing a lot more running, so left cliking to move, one of your attack buttons to turn and shoot, and repeat, all while using defensive skills etc.

Metzo_Paino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#234  Edited By Metzo_Paino

I'm playing a Monk on Normal and I've dual wielded up until this point.

I'm wondering what the differences would be if I went with a staff having noticed that there are Monk specific staffs around. I would assume that you do more damage but at less speed? Kind of seems pointless when I could use two magic weapons and get both of their buffs.

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By Panpipe

@Metzo_Paino said:

I'm wondering what the differences would be if I went with a staff having noticed that there are Monk specific staffs around. I would assume that you do more damage but at less speed? Kind of seems pointless when I could use two magic weapons and get both of their buffs.

Yeah there are trade offs for different configurations.

I'm not lvl 60 yet but I've played for about 40 hours with a couple of characters so I have a pretty good understanding.

- When you dual wield you get a 15% attack speed bonus. So if you're going to dual wield you want to go for a fast style. Ideally you want fast weapons like daggers/fists that are high damage and have increased attack speed on them. I saw a level 60 monk with over 3 attacks per second and I swooned.

- If you need a little more protection, get a shield. Probably only relevant for when you get in to the later difficulties and you want to die a little less.

- Maybe you want to play monk a little ranged. In which case it might be best to do big hits. Now you want to use a 2h weapon which although slower, consistently hit for a lot more. Maybe use Deadly Reach and just poke stuff from a distance real hard.

Personally I'm not interested in 2handers on my monk. So maybe someone else that plays that way has more to explain in that regard. The trouble with dual wielding is that buying 2 weapons is twice as expensive as buying 1.

Metzo_Paino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#236  Edited By Metzo_Paino

@Panpipe said:

@Metzo_Paino said:

Yeah there are trade offs for different configurations.

I'm not lvl 60 yet but I've played for about 40 hours with a couple of characters so I have a pretty good understanding.

- When you dual wield you get a 15% attack speed bonus. So if you're going to dual wield you want to go for a fast style. Ideally you want fast weapons like daggers/fists that are high damage and have increased attack speed on them. I saw a level 60 monk with over 3 attacks per second and I swooned.

- If you need a little more protection, get a shield. Probably only relevant for when you get in to the later difficulties and you want to die a little less.

- Maybe you want to play monk a little ranged. In which case it might be best to do big hits. Now you want to use a 2h weapon which although slower, consistently hit for a lot more. Maybe use Deadly Reach and just poke stuff from a distance real hard.

Personally I'm not interested in 2handers on my monk. So maybe someone else that plays that way has more to explain in that regard. The trouble with dual wielding is that buying 2 weapons is twice as expensive as buying 1.

Thanks for this. I've not really delved into the intricacies of Diablo yet. Currently just using a sword and mace because they have the biggest numbers i've found yet (around 20).

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By Panpipe

@valrog said:

What do different attributes even do/affect stats? Also, do attributes have a different effect depending on what class you're playing? For example, does Strength have a different result on Demon Hunter than on Barbarian?

Also, do different classes provide different dialogue? What about male/female? I don't mean just the voice, but the content of spoken/written lines as well (Like quest entries (They seem to be in first person, so...), cutscene narratives, conversation with followers etc.).

This is quite complex but I'll try my best to just give the simple stuff.

Strength raises the attack of Barbs, Dexterity raises the attack of Monks/Demon Hunters and Intelligence raises the attack of Wizards/Witch Doctors. Your damage is you primary stat (Strength/Dex/Int) multiplied by your weapon damage. So a barb with 600 strength and a 40 dps weapon would hit enemies for roughly 280 damage ( ((600x0.01)+1)x40 = 280 ).

However, these stats also give defensive bonuses for ALL character classes.

10 strength = 10 intelligence = 10 armor = 1 resist. Each of these give the same defensive bonus (damage reduction). You want to get as much of all them as you can, on any character class. Don't think that just because you play a Barb that you don't need Intelligence. Strength is the same as armor. Intelligence is the same as resistance. If you need defence, then 100 int would be better for your Barb than 60 strength - but your attack would go down.

Dexterity is different. Dexterity ups your chance to dodge, which avoids all damage. If you have 100 dexterity, you have a 10% chance to dodge any attack (magic, physical, whatever). If you have 500 dexterity you have 20% chance to dodge, and if you have 1000 you have a 30% chance. The value of Dexterity diminishes the more you have, up to 1000. After 1000 dex, each point of Dexterity is worth 0.01% dodge I believe.

And yes, all dialogue/mini-cutscenes are different for class and gender. The story is always the same though.

Paindamnation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By Paindamnation

What's the best Skill Load out for DH?

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#239  Edited By Addfwyn

@Paindamnation: Depends on playstyle, your goal, and where you are/what you are fighting. What level are you? Are you looking to maximize damage, maximize survivability, or something between the two? Are you hardcore or soft core? Are you progressing through Normal or farming Inferno?

There's a lot of factors to determining what skills to use, otherwise every single player would be usually exactly the same load out. Some abilities are certainly better than others, but it depends a lot on what is available to you too.

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By mason

Q: Is there ever a good reason to stick to 2-handed weapons?

Yeah they generally have more attack power than 1-handed, but it seems to me that more accessories with stat bonuses is a better way to increase DPS.

So why would I ever use a slightly stronger two-handed sword with 4 bonuses, when I could have a sword and shield (or dual-wield) with 8 bonuses altogether?

Paindamnation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By Paindamnation

@Addfwyn said:

@Paindamnation: Depends on playstyle, your goal, and where you are/what you are fighting. What level are you? Are you looking to maximize damage, maximize survivability, or something between the two? Are you hardcore or soft core? Are you progressing through Normal or farming Inferno?

There's a lot of factors to determining what skills to use, otherwise every single player would be usually exactly the same load out. Some abilities are certainly better than others, but it depends a lot on what is available to you too.

Level 48 DH I get one Shotted alot. So I'm trying to find ways to have survivability. Going through act 3 NM solo. I do 2k dps with 10k and still get hit twice and if I don't use certain skills I die quick. I'm a D1 Vet not D2.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By valrog

@Panpipe: Thank you for the explanation.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By david3cm

So I have a Barbarian related question. I am near the end of act 1 on nightmare and I am getting worked pretty easily. I am in no way a super-awesome Diablo-ist, but I am not terrible either. Any vets out there have any builds that could improve my chances of kicking ass? Any help would be great.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By dillonwerner

@david3cm said:

So I have a Barbarian related question. I am near the end of act 1 on nightmare and I am getting worked pretty easily. I am in no way a super-awesome Diablo-ist, but I am not terrible either. Any vets out there have any builds that could improve my chances of kicking ass? Any help would be great.

This build has worked for me, not sure if it was for nightmare or hell.

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bhYQij!cde!aaZaaa

Also, run with a follower and spec for vitality if you are getting smashed so easily.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By valrog

Q: Do the Fire/Arcane/Light/Poison types of damage serve any purpose? I had two crossbows with Fire damage, but now I replaced one with Arcane. Does that affect anything?

Also, I had an error with achievements (Couldn't retrieve the list or something along those lines). Does that mean my progress was not recorded at all, or was I just unable to see it at this time?

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By Renahzor

@valrog: The damage type on a weapon is typically irrelevant(DPS number is really king), although you might want to keep a spare in inferno if you're a DH/Monk/Barb because some mobs take reduced damage from one type. It really hasn't been enough for me to care, but I have firebats and darts so I can deal either poison or fire, where the classes with weapon damage type instead of spells might need a spare to help on some champions.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By valrog

@Renahzor: Oh, that's what I was wondering. If for example a monster uses poison damage, does it mean that if I use poison damage it is less effective than let's say, holy damage? Does that work for spells as well? Most of my spells (I'm a Demon Hunter) are fire oriented it seems.

So using two different types of damage on weapons (Dual wielding crossbows for example) has a higher probability of being effective in an arbitrary situation where you don't know what kind of enemies you will encounter?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#248  Edited By ajamafalous
    @mason said:

Q: Is there ever a good reason to stick to 2-handed weapons?

Yeah they generally have more attack power than 1-handed, but it seems to me that more accessories with stat bonuses is a better way to increase DPS.

So why would I ever use a slightly stronger two-handed sword with 4 bonuses, when I could have a sword and shield (or dual-wield) with 8 bonuses altogether?

DPS increases do much more to increase your damage than stat increases do.
    Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By Renahzor

@valrog: I don't know about dual wield how that calculates damage per damage type. I only know that when your attacks hit with your weapon they do that damage type (IE: a barb with a frost weapon will snare enemies he hits with attacks, which wold mean part of that attack was calculated as frost). You'll need to test for dual wield to see if the offhand is adding an elemental damage type to physical attacks.

Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By Scotto

@valrog said:

@Renahzor: Oh, that's what I was wondering. If for example a monster uses poison damage, does it mean that if I use poison damage it is less effective than let's say, holy damage? Does that work for spells as well? Most of my spells (I'm a Demon Hunter) are fire oriented it seems.

So using two different types of damage on weapons (Dual wielding crossbows for example) has a higher probability of being effective in an arbitrary situation where you don't know what kind of enemies you will encounter?

Always just go for the highest DPS weapon. Don't worry about the type of damage - in my experience it's only function is as a bonus damage "buff" on weapons. I've yet to see any practical situation where an enemy straight up resisted my damage because it was a certain type. And even if it did, the enemies are randomly generated, so it's kind of impossible to account for anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.