Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 15, 2012

Diablo III returns to the world of Sanctuary twenty years after the events of Diablo II with a new generation of heroes that must defeat the demonic threat from Hell.

What do you honestly think?

• 63 results
    Sia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sia

What do you think of Diablo 3? and what would you rate it out of 100?

I haven't bought Diablo 3 yet, but I've seen trailers, read forums, etc. I've been set back because of what I've heard about the issues with the server, and obviously the price, and also my computers capacity to play it. I've played TorchLight ll, the beta version anyway, and personally I thought the game play was good, the only turn off for me with TorchLight ll was the graphics, the fantasy, cartoony type graphics, it honestly made me feel like I was in a disney movie. Since playing Skyrim, I've preferred the more realistic approach.

I'm not 100% certain my computer would be able to play Diablo lll, although I have played Skyrim (on low settings) and everything seems to work alright, I'm also not that computer savy, so I'll post my computer specs below, and perhaps someone who knows a little more about computers would be able to imform me whether my computer would be able to play it.

P.S I've checked on battle.net site for the supported graphic cards, my card is neither on the supported list, or unsupported list.

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.120402-0336)

BIOS: Ver 1.00 BIOS A11 PARTTBL"

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.3GHz

Memory: 3066MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By pweidman

Well first Diablo 3 is fantastic. If fighting endless mobs, solo or co-op, and looking for better loot is your bag, get it without reservation is my recommendation.

Secondly, Blizzard tends to put out games that'll run on a lot of machines, and I'm no expert at this stuff, but your specs lead me to believe you'll be able to run it on medium maybe; shouldn't be a problem is my guess. Hopefully, some of the experts that hang out here can verify that.

Also, lastly wtf is cartpreferredony? Lost me w/that descriptor. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

It's the Pixar movie of the video game world, and no I don't mean Cars 2. It runs on everything and still looks great, it's nearly endless, and the world is fantastic.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Andorski

Not only is this the first Diablo game I have played seriously (only played 2 for a bit when I went to a friend's house), but it's the first game of it's genre that I have really gotten into. So far I am really liking it. Tthe ability to change your build at any time with no repercussions and the minimum consequences for death makes the game feel very accessible for newcomers. Even with the most basic RPGs, I habitually do some research online and see how I should spec my character, how I should play my build, etc., but in D3 I just experiment on my own and see what works and what doesn't.

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By BionicRadd

If you havent had a chance to get in on a game pass, then just wait a little longer until blizzard makes the starter edition available. That way, you can play it and make your own decision. You aren't going to get any replies to this topic that will actually help you make this decision. The people that love it, really love it and the people that hate it are stupid, really hate it. Figure out a way to play it and decide for yourself. Either find a guest pass or wait a couple of weeks for the starter edition.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By GunslingerPanda

It's fun. I would give it the score of fun/100.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By david3cm

I googled "cartpreferredony" and the only thing that came up was this blog post. What does that word mean.

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mpgeist

Honestly, I had fun my first playthrough (about 25 hours? I replayed some stuff). Then I started the next difficulty and I'm terribly bored of it. I guess loot just doesn't have the same pull it once did. 80/100

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Capum15

Server issues aside (which were basically fixed and stabilized within the first few days), I've enjoyed the game immensely. The story was suitably epic, the combat is really fun, and the loot is plentiful.

Sia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sia

@pweidman:

Also, lastly wtf is cartpreferredony? Lost me w/that descriptor. :P

LOL! That's why it is important to proof read I guess. My bad, it was a typo.

I generally like fantasy games that have a good story line, I played Shaiya ( A fantasy game similar to WoW) back in the day, but with the economy the way it is, inflation hit that game like a bag of sh!t, and the developers didn't seem to care. Since then its basically been Torchlight and Skyrim in the games department. I don't know about getting a guest pass, it seems as though theres more demand then supply, as there would be, so i'll probably just hang out until the starter edition is released.

Thanks to all the people who replied. :)

Von

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Von

My only complaints is that it's much shorter and less varied than Diablo II. Otherwise, a great game.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MeierTheRed

95/100 its a very good game.

plasticstars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By plasticstars

I'm enjoying it. I've had a fair bit of lag even when playing by myself, but it was mostly during release week and not really a problem now. I kind of don't like how the auction house invalidates most of the gear you can get on your own, but that's a minor complaint. I'd give it 80/100, it's definitely not perfect but I've been having a ton of fun with it.

camp7203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By camp7203

95/100

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Cloudenvy

It's alright/100.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#16  Edited By StarvingGamer

98/100

My experience has been nearly flawless and the game is replete with mind-bogglingly intelligent design decisions.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @GunslingerPanda said:

I would give it the score of fun/100.

The best most important score a game can get.
    ItsPozer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ItsPozer

Its not the best game i ever played but its still alright. I find it better coop than solo but thats just me. 70/100

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@AhmadMetallic said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

I would give it the score of fun/100.

The best most important score a game can get.

/hug

I love you, man.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By ShadowConqueror

It's a worthy sequel to Diablo 2 and is a solid game that is thoroughly enjoyable, but a few things (like late-game difficulty and lack of as many fully randomized environments as Diablo 2) keep it from attaining the greatness it deserves. 90/100

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NekuCTR

Honestly it's pretty damn addicting. Multiplayer is the only way to go for me, but they get a 10 point reduction for being so careless about making their problems our problems over the last couple of weeks. 9/10

Sia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sia

I just want to say a big thank you to Plasticstars for giving me a guest pass so I can try the game myself, and also a thank you to everyone who has taken the time to write an honest opinion about the game, it is greatly appreciate.

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BionicRadd

@Sia said:

I just want to say a big thank you to Plasticstars for giving me a guest pass so I can try the game myself, and also a thank you to everyone who has taken the time to write an honest opinion about the game, it is greatly appreciate.

By the way, if you decide to buy the game, get an authenticator, either the free mobile one on a smartphone/ipod touch or the physical one (seven bucks shipped is a small price to pay for peace of mind). Don't let the internet fool you, lack of an authenticator is how the overwhelming majority of these compromised accounts happened.

Sia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sia

@BionicRadd: Okay, thanks for the tip.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I'm really enjoying it.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Honestly, some people act like it's the game after which no games should ever be released. Based on what I've seen it's Diablo II with improvements. So it's okay. Didn't buy it yet though, so my opinion is worthless. I'm just saying that i don't get the impression that it's the greatest game in existance.  

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Very polished but underwhelming and parts of it feel very lazy.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go here if your still not sure if your machine can run it.

As for the game itself I really like it, I do find it slightly repetitive but being able to play with people at the touch of a button really helps. It's mostly a great loot based dungeon-crawler and not much else.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By breadfan

80/100.

Great game, but a I'm just not feeling it anymore. Hardly any good loot drops drop and relying on the auction house just seems kinda meh. But I do like the clicking part.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mwng

37/100

Has nobody made this joke yet?

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By gamefreak9

Great game! I would give it a 90 only because its not as balanced as I expect from a Blizz game. Smithin needs work... and lag spikes though rare turn me off from continuing my HC char.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Vorbis

I think the AH ruined the game for me at Inferno, it became a game about trying to make money to buy loot, rather than playing to find loot. There's no joy in finding items because I know I already have better from the AH and that's depressing.

So I rerolled and started playing hardcore, where it has become a game about survival and I'm enjoying it again, although I'd still rather be playing Dragons Dogma.

70/100

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Subjugation

I enjoy it and am having fun with it. I think that is far more important that any arbitrary number.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Jimbo

fuckdiablo/100

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got bored before I even finished the campaign once, so got a refund. It's a pretty well made game; I quite like the visual style. It's extremely derivative with little if any improvements to the genre, there are some frankly lazy design choices (you had 8 years, guys) and yeah, it's just boring to me.

65/100

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By WinterSnowblind

It's a lot of fun and very addictive, I've been playing it pretty much non-stop since it came out.

It has problems though. The writing isn't brilliant, the balance is ridiculously out of whack, some of the design choices are head scratchingly poor and there are frequent server issues causing problems. It's not the best game ever made, it probably won't even be the best game released this year. But it's a solid purchase and generally a really good experience.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By Jayzilla

@Khann said:

Got bored before I even finished the campaign once, so got a refund. It's a pretty well made game; I quite like the visual style. It's extremely derivative with little if any improvements to the genre, there are some frankly lazy design choices (you had 8 years, guys) and yeah, it's just boring to me.

65/100

we rate on a 5 star system here duders. let's keep it professional for the love of all things good and decent.

Gravier251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Gravier251

It was okay, though I found the narrative and writing rather meh. The villains especially on later playthroughs have a habit of never shutting up, compared to Diablo 2 where for the most part they would only utter a single line before they attack you. Rather than the immature non-stop chiding we get in 3.

I've not really managed to get into it as I did with Diablo 2. It is well made and polished but I tend to feel a bit underwhelmed. I Often have problems with connecting to games; running into a number of errors and downtime, at least in europe. The game is more enjoyable co-op, but I often find myself unable to really find any and often winding up having to play solo. Largely joined public games are at best 1 other person who is silent and quits half way through a quest before you even reach a checkpoint :/ At that point you either press on solo, or quit out and redo everything you just did, again.

It is well made and polished, but has some issues. It is enjoyable enough and probably worth getting to experience. But for me personally I seem to be feeling disinterested in it, more tempted to just do a new game+ of Dragon's Dogma.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39  Edited By Seppli

Love it. 88 out 100.

Extremely high production quality. Addictive gameplay. Thoughtful freeform deep character progression and customization. Great flow. Needs some serverside backend polish. Inferno not yet properly balanced.

Mind not blown - but certainly high like on coffein and nicotine. Go get!

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By EXTomar

I'm always confused when someone asks "What do you honestly think?" Why ask the question of someone if you don't think they will give an honest answer?

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BionicRadd

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Honestly, some people act like it's the game after which no games should ever be released. Based on what I've seen it's Diablo II with improvements. So it's okay. Didn't buy it yet though, so my opinion is worthless. I'm just saying that i don't get the impression that it's the greatest game in existance.

You do understand that for awhile, Diablo II was that game, as well for some people? Not saying you have to feel that way, but for some of us, Diablo 3 is the game we've been waiting for since Diablo 2.

@Vorbis said:

I think the AH ruined the game for me at Inferno, it became a game about trying to make money to buy loot, rather than playing to find loot. There's no joy in finding items because I know I already have better from the AH and that's depressing.

So I rerolled and started playing hardcore, where it has become a game about survival and I'm enjoying it again, although I'd still rather be playing Dragons Dogma.

70/100

The AH didn't ruin anything. You ruined your own game by choosing to use it. Honestly, though, it's not much different than D2 where you could make a game on Battle.net and title it "need an awesome Axe" and sit in Tristram for a few minutes before someone would pop in and drop some awesome rare axe that they probably duped and then leaves. The AH offers nothing that wasn't available in the first 2 games. The only difference is now you don't have to dupe to find awesome items, you can farm gold and buy them. I don't get it, but loot is the only reason I play Diablo. Killing something and seeing a bad ass rare appear is exactly what keeps me coming back.

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Panpipe

I think you're guaranteed to have a really fun 20 hours or so with the game. For some people it would be best to stop there. The story really isn't very good, I think Starcraft 2 had a better story and that's an RTS.

It's fun to level up a character and get progressively better gear and skill combos.

The end-game is a bit of a muddle. Basically, you're meant to grind for gear and gold until you have the gear to do the next act. Then you grind that area til eventually you can finish the game. The weird thing is, the bosses are easier than the champion packs (normal tough enemies) so there's this weird disconnect of beating difficult enemies for gear, so that you can beat an easier boss. I don't really understand it.

But I will say that coop is really good fun and I'm enjoying that. Also, loot is addictive as hell.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#43  Edited By sjschmidt93

91.825333 (repeating) out of 100

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Grimhild

@mpgeist said:

Honestly, I had fun my first playthrough (about 25 hours? I replayed some stuff). Then I started the next difficulty and I'm terribly bored of it. I guess loot just doesn't have the same pull it once did. 80/100

Pretty much. Also, I have some video issue where it will inexplicably lock, black screen, then start going again. Even when I'm just standing around selling stuff. It also locks up my system when I attempt to exit to windows sometimes. Pretty sure it's fixable with a patch, since my specs are way above the recommended and others are having the same issue, but it's extremely annoying when it happens. I haven't really played it in several days, and I haven't really felt the urge to again, for whatever reason.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Vorbis

@BionicRadd: "You don't have to use it" is a terrible argument. You're expected to use it to make it through Inferno, the game has been designed around money sinks so that Blizzard can make money. Begging for free gear in public games or even trading is very different from opening the AH and buying the best gear.

This has been discussed hundreds of times anyway, enough.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @ShadowConqueror said:
    It's a worthy sequel to Diablo 2 and is a solid game that is thoroughly enjoyable, but a few things (like late-game difficulty and lack of as many fully randomized environments as Diablo 2) keep it from attaining the greatness it deserves. 90/100
    I honestly like some of the static environments.  It lets them have greater detail than a generic square field.  And all the inside dungeons are completely random.
    Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ares42

I've spent close to 150 hours with the game, and I don't really regret much of it. However, the game is still a disappointment as it didn't manage to live up to expectations (or even do better than it's predecessor) in my opinion. It was a game I was hoping to spend endless amount of time with, but I've reached a point where I'd rather wait 6 months and see if they've fixed things than keep on playing. The time it takes to reach max level and basically finish character-based progression is astoundingly short, the amount of actual viable builds at high levels are very restrictive and the need to farm very specific parts of the game over and over gets tedious.

But as I've said, I still like the game. It's a good version of this kinda game. And looking at other alternatives coming out I'd still pick Diablo 3. It's just annoying that it has all these blatantly obvious shortcomings that they should've known about by looking at how other similar games have done things in the last decade. Looking at it in a broader sense I'd just much rather play other kinda games that play on the same strings but have a much more developed overall experience.

As for a number I'd say if you purely look at it for what it is, it's probably something like an 85-90. However if you compare it to other games in general I'd say a 75-80. But maybe I just don't enjoy the genre as much as I thought I did (even though Diablo 2 was one of the games I played the most while growing up).

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
    BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BigChickenDinner

I'm going to come out and be brutally honest.

I thought that they had F-ed the game up in more ways than A black-asian-latino Muslim showing up at a KKK rally in 1939 Berlin. Just, go with it.

But they really surprised me when I played it, very stable, I've seen literally one visual glitch having to do with the hair physics on my Barb. Other than that the game has been a real charm.

EXCEPT!!!... mind you, the one thing, I had called from the moment the knowledge so graced my cranium with it's presence. This fucking Online only Bull fucking Shit is fucking GEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHY. It's like their tech team is one long and one short faggot (bundle of sticks).

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @Vorbis said:

@BionicRadd: "You don't have to use it" is a terrible argument. You're expected to use it to make it through Inferno, the game has been designed around money sinks so that Blizzard can make money. Begging for free gear in public games or even trading is very different from opening the AH and buying the best gear.

This has been discussed hundreds of times anyway, enough.

I have no doubt that Blizzard is going to make changes so that you don't need to buy gear from the AH to be able to do inferno.   There is no way they are going to let the ranged classes gouge melee items so that barbs and monks have to pay million of gold, or whatever the price will be in money.
    kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#50  Edited By kindgineer

100/100, as I thought it would be.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.