Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Digimon

Franchise »

Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon are the champions!

How can a Digimon character look like this?

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aegon

Here's a scan showcasing some new Digimon game. I'm wondering, how in the world could a character in the Digimon universe look like the girl on the right? I don't remember ever seeing someone on the show that scantily clad back when I was a kid (season 3 da best). This is supposed to be a show / game for kids, no? Or perhaps Digimon is trying to create a different image for itself now? Also, the main character on the bottom right looks almost identical to the Devil Survivor protagonist.

DS protagonist on the right:

No Caption Provided

Digimon scan:

No Caption Provided

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By nightriff

Digimon is still around? That is kinda surprising to me

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By donchipotle

Hey man, kids grow up. And when they do, characters like Sora, Rika and Akari just won't cut it for eye candy anymore.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#4  Edited By Hector

Namco Bandai hired Suzuhito Yasuda to do the art for the game, he is the same guy who worked on Devil Survivor.

stonepawfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think that digimon has generally gotten progressively more edgy to try and stay relevant, but then again, i haven't been interested in digimon for like 10 years

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By joshthebear

Dude, there is so much anime on that picture that I don't know what to do.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yowza. This is weird.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hector said:

Namco Bandai hired Suzuhito Yasuda to do the art for the game, he is the same guy who worked on Devil Survivor.

Ah, that's why. The art itself looks amazing like his work on DS. I like the style..but this is just a strange choice for a kid's game.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

The answer to every question as to why an underaged anime girl is flashing a bunch of skin and cleavage is "because anime."

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just glad there's a new Digimon game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

The answer to every question as to why an underaged anime girl is flashing a bunch of skin and cleavage is "because anime."

How do you know she's underage? I don't see any indication in that scan of how old she is.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@hailinel said:

@morbid_coffee said:

How do you know she's underage? I don't see any indication in that scan of how old she is.

So that's how you roll, eh? I see... I see...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Hailinel
    envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

shes still got a smaller rack than devil survivors yuzu

plus have you seen other anime/toys/games lately ? this girls clothes are way more modest

but the reality is all they have to do is create a few pictures for a character like this and they get massive publicity , and years and years of "fandom"

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Wow, Digimon still exists.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh and "digimon navigater" classic

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Aegon

@envane said:

shes still got a smaller rack than devil survivors yuzu

plus have you seen other anime/toys/games lately ? this girls clothes are way more modest

but the reality is all they have to do is create a few pictures for a character like this and they get massive publicity , and years and years of "fandom"

Has the kid's game and anime market in Japan changed? Just like I said in the original post, there weren't any characters dressed like that when I watched Digimon as a kid. The closest I can think of is like Misty from Pokemon or Mai from Yugio, but this girl has cleavage, side boobs, bare midriff, EXTREMELY tight and short shorts, which are also riding pretty low (v lines?). Also she's constantly sticking her chest out further than the rest of her body.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon: well yeah it has changed dramaticly , but still the signs were there , tell me misty or jesse didnt make you think something somewhere along the line , or did americans also ban the swimsuit episode of pokemon.

but yeah .. this kind of fanserivce is pretty much as innocent as it gets , its not as if its an entire franchise built to showcase underage girl panty-shots and cameltoes .. in the guise of ww2 era dogfighting.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#20  Edited By Danteveli

Since 90% of current anime is just fanservice its strange that it took them so long to put boobs in digimon.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By BisonHero

Yeah, the similarity of those two dude characters coming from the same creator makes sense. Akira Toriyama, Matt Groening, etc.

Though I wish artists/animators wouldn't pigeonhole themselves into such ridiculously similar character designs. But whatever, branding or something.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stonepawfox said:

i think that digimon has generally gotten progressively more edgy to try and stay relevant, but then again, i haven't been interested in digimon for like 10 years

Funny you think that as I'd say Tamers, back in 2001, was the edgiest the franchise ever got.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Tylea002

I played Digimon World: Dawn on the DS, and I freaking loved it. Point worth mentioning, I've never played a pokemon game, so this was where I got that monster-collectin' fix.

But yeah, Digimon is still around. I saw series 5 back in 2007 when they did grow up a bit, the art style got older and the main guy's power was to digivolve his partner by PUNCHING OTHER DIGIMON IN THE FACE. It was pretty great.

I kept an eye on series 6/7, watched a couple episodes but they looked pretty bad. Apparently they're doing kinda well? I dunno, I like to keep abreast of how shows I watched as a kid are doing. Beyblade's still around, HOW CRAZY IS THAT?

That specific fanservice looks dumb but I'm fairly sure Digimon's done fanservice like that in the past, just probably not as the "regular" outfit. But maybe they just decided, fuck it, no point hiding it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#24  Edited By musubi

The only thing shocking here is that Digimon is still a thing.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Aegon

@petiew said:

@stonepawfox said:

Funny you think that as I'd say Tamers, back in 2001, was the edgiest the franchise ever got.

It was dark and from what I can remember, it had some nice emotionally impactful moments, which is why it's my fave season (and the last one I watched). He's probably talking about a different kind of "edgy". The kind with less clothes, not more mature subjects.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@hailinel said:

@morbid_coffee said:

Concerning the underage appearance of anime girls I would guess that it's more a case of the art style. There are some shows where the parents look about the same age as their high school kids.

I would also like to point out that Asian chicks generally look pretty young. The ones I know range from 20-30 years old and they all look like they should still be in high school. It's kinda their thing to look like that.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@aegon said:

@hector said:

Ah, that's why. The art itself looks amazing like his work on DS. I like the style..but this is just a strange choice for a kid's game.

his style is terrible. He was the one who drew Io Nitta, aka 'my boobs float up also I am supposed to be a serious character'.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@aegon said:

@hector said:

his style is terrible. He was the one who drew Io Nitta, aka 'my boobs float up also I am supposed to be a serious character'.

I didn't play DS 2 so I haven't had too much exposure to anti-grav boobs. I like the way he draws faces and the little details in his work. I dunno, there's just something about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

She looks like a female version of N from Pokemon.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Dude yes Digimon Season 3 is the best!... and yeah the Devil Survivor guy sure does like to draw really perky boobs.

No Caption Provided

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#31  Edited By LordAndrew

Is anything beyond Digimon Tamers worth watching?

PersonaUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use to watch digimon. I have forgotten entirely what it was about.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They'll cover her up if they bring it over to USA

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By Flappy

Man, I really can't get over how similar some of the characters look. The character style can be really nice at times, but too much of it can be a bit exhausting. Akira Toriyama syndrome, perhaps?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.