Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Digital Distribution

Concept »

The concept of purchasing media and having it delivered over the internet. No physical representation of this content is given, and although the content resides on the user's hard drive they are typically granted a license to the product, rather than ownership of it.

21 Games To Mark The Launch Of 360 Games On Demand

• 137 results
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By The_A_Drain

Bullshit, how is this expecting to compete with second hand? I don't know, this whole thing just doesn't seem appealing to me at all, I get the draw, and how convenient it is, but it's all down to price. Cos here, I can go and pick up almost all of those game for less than £10 each second hand, and some even less than £20 brand new, so if the prices aren't able to compete with that, no sale.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#102  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Hopefully this will boost the sales of Viva Pinata. 
    Really great game that deserved to do better.  The lack of hype and releasing it beside Gears of War pretty much killed it though.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#103  Edited By Lazyaza

The next couple of years are going to be very interesting in terms of how we buy and play our video games.   Just wish my damn country (aus) would get with the times already >_<

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#104  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @The_A_Drain said:
    "Bullshit, how is this expecting to compete with second hand? I don't know, this whole thing just doesn't seem appealing to me at all, I get the draw, and how convenient it is, but it's all down to price. Cos here, I can go and pick up almost all of those game for less than £10 each second hand, and some even less than £20 brand new, so if the prices aren't able to compete with that, no sale. "

That's what I also thought, because anywhere you can buy physical copies for cheaper than downloading them.  But a lot of people in this thread seem to be willing to pay more for the service, so I'm not quite sure anymore.
    Demo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Demo

I'm all for this, I learned with Ryan, the less stuff lying around, the better.

I don't care to come back to my boxes 20 years later to say: "This is what I used to play back in the day!"

THE FUTURE IS HERE!
    HIAR, HIAR.

But reality must kick in sometime, so, I cannot use this because my Internet speed is barely 8mps and 60GB of HDD won't be enough, and I will never buy an overpriced 120GB HDD.

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#106  Edited By Marzy

I bought Kameo: Elements of Power for £3.85 brand new the other day.

I would love to try out Viva Piñata, since I loved the DS game. I've been after SEGA Rally for a while as well.

bigyawn_hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By bigyawn_hippo

Sweet! Will get  Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion as were I live, haven t seen a used copy of this game in while. Also it goes for about 15 quid on ebay. Does anybody have any idea how long it would take to download a game ? 

Ouroboros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Ouroboros

Writing here as well saying that Bioshock is up on the marketplace, apparently ready to be downloaded for 39.99 Canadian, at least.  I dont know if it shows up in the American marketplace as well (but why wouldn't it?) nor do I know if the price is the same (probably cheaper, 29.99 at most I would think).  I am using the NXE dashboard preview so that may prevent some people from seeing Bioshock and/or not being in Canada... 

edit:  nor do i know if this is going to stay up so if its not up later today, as im going to sleep, and it turns out to be a marketplace mess up, im sorry for getting your hopes up.

harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By harrisonave
    @TwoOneFive said:

" @spazmaster666 said:

" @TwoOneFive said:
    " why are they calling it on demand? you still have to download the whole game, its very misleading!  this is just Microsoft trying to take away steam, and confuse costumers from what OnLive will be.  "
    Why is it misleading? An On Demand service to me just means you can get the content any time you want (hence the "on demand" part), which is true. "
    yeah but on demand means ON DEMAND! Like RIGHT NOW.  its probably faster for me to drive down the street and pick up one of those games at gamespot and get back before the download is finished.  I think one demand i think of how comcast does it, you click a movie, it plays, snap! just like OnLive.  This just means OnLive will need a VERY good advertisement campaign and they probably should get on that soon.  "
    I think you're being a bit impractical.  They're telling you this is a download service, and I'm pretty sure everyone realizes downloading a full game is going to take some time.  This is simply an option for people who would rather purchase their games this way.  This isn't necessarily them trying to just make money.   This is a feature some people have been asking for, and one we've been building up to for a long time.
    bandro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By bandro

The future of digital distribution with gaming is something that really interests me.

I can't help but wonder whether selling "full" retail games as downloads is a step too far.  Sure, the industry is apparently heading this way, and yep, no one can apparently stop it.  But... To me the ideal format of digital distribution is bite sized gems that have a core mechanic to keep you coming back - such as Fat Princess or Battlefield 1943.  If I want all the rest of the crap that comes with the fuller games, then I'll just buy them and add em to the pile.  I wonder how successful it would be if they were to trim some of these full games down from their retail form, to cheaper more hard drive friendly versions.  An episodic Mass Effect?  Rainbow Six Vegas without the single player?  Oblivion with just a horse....?

Paddis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#111  Edited By Paddis

I doubt the Xbox 360 was designed with this feature in mind, and that's a problem. If a console isn't designed to be able to donwload and store games, I think the feature will have some major flaws. It'll be intresting to see how it goes though.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#112  Edited By skrutop
    @hyperslug: You're better off finding the Oblivion Game of the Year Edition, which has the expansions in it.  I'm sure that you can find it for close to $20.  Also, Viva Pinata 2 is $20 at Amazon.  Since the price is the same, I'd rather have the disc so I can give it to someone when I'm done playing.

I dunno, I tend to find games at or near these prices by scanning the cheapassgamer forums.
    aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#113  Edited By aaox

An Animus in my house?  
    THIS IS AWESOME

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#114  Edited By Shabs

It's unfortunate the 20 GB hard drive is pretty much worthless if you want to use this feature. 

They've gotta lower the price on the 120 GB.  If I had one of those, having Viva Pinata 2 sitting on my 360's hard drive at all times seems like a great idea.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Insectecutor
    @Shuborno said:
    " It's unfortunate the 20 GB hard drive is pretty much worthless if you want to use this feature.   They've gotta lower the price on the 120 GB.  If I had one of those, having Viva Pinata 2 sitting on my 360's hard drive at all times seems like a great idea. "
    I dunno, with the new smaller installs coming in the next dashboard update I figure several of these games will weigh in at a gig or less.
    Egge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Egge
    @Shuborno said:
    " It's unfortunate the 20 GB hard drive is pretty much worthless if you want to use this feature.   They've gotta lower the price on the 120 GB.  If I had one of those, having Viva Pinata 2 sitting on my 360's hard drive at all times seems like a great idea. "
    I agree somewhat, but if unhappy 20 GB owners like you and me can manage to forego the luxury of having more than one Game On Demand installed at the same time (and only, say, a single disc-based game and a few Arcade titles installed along with it), then this feature can be worth something for us too. Sure, as you say it would be nice to have great games installed at all times, but sometimes we can't get everything we want.

@Insectecutor said:
    I dunno, with the new smaller installs coming in the next dashboard update I figure several of these games will weigh in at a gig or less. "
    Personally I wouldn't count on the dashboard update to rescue 20 GB owners from our desperate lack of hard drive space. What you say might be true of a few games, but I doubt Mass Effect, Perfect Dark Zero, Assassin's Creed or any of the other major titles will shrink considerably with the new compression method. For example, I read a test in which Fable 2 was barely affected at all with the dashboard installed, and the general rule seems to be that the bigger a game is, the less it can be compressed (which of course makes sense).
    Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Insectecutor
    @Egge said:
    " @Shuborno said:
    I agree somewhat, but if unhappy 20 GB owners like you and me can manage to forego the luxury of having more than one Game On Demand installed at the same time (and only, say, a single disc-based game and a few Arcade titles installed along with it), then this feature can be worth something for us too. Sure, as you say it would be nice to have great games installed at all times, but sometimes we can't get everything we want.

@Insectecutor said:
    I dunno, with the new smaller installs coming in the next dashboard update I figure several of these games will weigh in at a gig or less. "
    Personally I wouldn't count on the dashboard update to rescue 20 GB owners from our desperate lack of hard drive space. What you say might be true of a few games, but I doubt Mass Effect, Perfect Dark Zero, Assassin's Creed or any of the other major titles will shrink considerably with the new compression method. For example, I read a test in which Fable 2 was barely affected at all with the dashboard installed, and the general rule seems to be that the bigger a game is, the less it can be compressed (which of course makes sense). "
    I was under the impression that it throws away all the padding and redundant data they copy around the disc for faster content streaming, so it's not really compression it's more discarding data that's no longer required. You're right though, it's not a silver bullet but nothing is. Some games will be bigger, but there will be a lot more smaller games than 4-5gb ones.
    Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Impossibilium

$20-$30?

Another nice idea shot in the face by Microsoft pricing.

Prey is about $15 new right now at Amazon. And really, that's all it's worth now.

Ender7884

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Ender7884

I borrowed and didn't get more than an hour into both Oblivion and Mass Effect, I'll probably end up getting those.  My only question is: Do they come with any DLC? 

I can buy Mass Effect for $20 in store and get the DLC with it, so can we all get the same deal through the marketplace??  I'll most likely still download it anyway,  just because I can.

keoskey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#121  Edited By keoskey

they probably went with $20 b/c Walmart has that $20 Bargin bin and most games on that list are in that bargin bin

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#122  Edited By Shabs
    @Egge said:
    " @Shuborno said:
    I think it defeats the purpose of the service if you have to delete the games you buy.  You might as well just buy the game disc, which (given the list of games) will probably be cheaper than the digital version.   Plus, I already reserve my minimal hard drive space to install the game disc I am playing the most at the time to the HDD.

It's frustrating that I got the highest-end 360 available at the time, and now it's obsolete.  Avoiding the PC upgrade cycle was the whole reason I liked consoles, but I guess those days are over.  I have no problem dropping more money on a new hard drive in theory, but the price is just ridiculous.  There is absolutely no reason it should be $160 CDN for me to get one.
    chigaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By chigaco

Wow I already have most of these games as a hard copy.

Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Impossibilium
    @Shuborno said:

I have no problem dropping more money on a new hard drive in theory, but the price is just ridiculous.  There is absolutely no reason it should be $160 CDN for me to get one. "

Price and capacity both. 120GB is also nothing. So what happens if you fill it up with games before MS release a new branded drive? There's nowhere to go then.

MS need to unlock those hard drives or offer external support. The PS3 hardware way is far superior in implementation.

If only there was a console had the PS3 hardware idea and the 360 user experience ...
    bandro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By bandro

Yeah, I have to agree.

MS's lock on Hard Drives along with their rigid points system doesn't really do any favours for future ambitious DLC endeavors.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#126  Edited By giyanks22

I'm getting Oblivion never played it but heard its awesome....or maybe i'll vegas 1 i loved vegas 2 a lot.

trahision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By trahision

Meh, once they start budget pricing some of these titles I might be more inclined to download, but that's also assuming I've taken the bait and bought one of the larger but EXTREMELY overpriced hard drives to accommodate all of that game data.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Media_Master

No new games yet, too bad
    DarthB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By DarthB

I'd love to take advantage of a service like this but there are two HUGE things stopping me.  Like most people I'm sitting with a 20GB drive that is all but full and there's no way in hell I'm paying as much as they want for the already too small 120GB drive.  The second thing is that I don't know of any super simple way to look at a list of things I've purchased using my MS points so I know what I can redownload if my harddrive ever bites it.
    If MS fixes these two things then I'm onboard.  The last issue isn't as big, but if MS could stop using MS points and just charge me straight like Sony does that'd be awsome because I'm up in Canadia and hate the damn exchange rate.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#131  Edited By vigorousjammer

This would be pretty great for multiplayer focused games, just cause you could accept an invite and not even have to get up to put the disc in your machine!

But for anybody without a big hard drive, it's not really that exciting
    luckilly, I own a nice 120gig :-)

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#132  Edited By Wolverine
    @Jeust said:
    " Great news :)  If you guess right the prices, it will be hilarious, since most of those games, in europe are at the same price they launched.  Take that greedy videogame stores!!!!   Also if it was to come L4D, that would be fun to watch too. "
    Well if you live in Europe you probably wouldn't be able to download things off the American Marketplace.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#133  Edited By Jeust
    @Wolverine said:
    " @Jeust said:
    " Great news :)  If you guess right the prices, it will be hilarious, since most of those games, in europe are at the same price they launched.  Take that greedy videogame stores!!!!   Also if it was to come L4D, that would be fun to watch too. "
    Well if you live in Europe you probably wouldn't be able to download things off the American Marketplace. "
    but most of the games will come to europe's marketplace too. 

I've seen it been anounced over the xbox website.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#134  Edited By turbomonkey138

Yay rainbow 6 vegas 1

PuppyKisses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By PuppyKisses

You can get most of these games at GameStop for $18 Used / $20 New. 

I thought this whole digital distribution thing was supposed to undercut brick and mortar???
    maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By maxszy

I like the thought of this service for some games. Though if they are all $20 flat rate, then that isn't the great. While some are definitely still worth that (Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect come right to mind) there are other that I don't think are. Plus probably most of these you could find used for under that price and have a disc too!

Afro_Stevens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Afro_Stevens

Maybe people will actually play Prey. 
    That would be nice, considering that it actually is a decent game. 

sp1der1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By sp1der1976

The games on-demand has launched in UK also and the prices are £19.99 which is approx $33!!! You US dudes pay $19.99 which works out @ just £12.

Yet again we UK consumers are getiting a kicking in the wallet. Most of these games can be brougt 2nd hand for much less, and in some cases I can get several for under £10 ($16).  so why would I bother paying more for the same game and not worry about cloggin up my little 20gig HD.   

At the end of the day this is just MS 1st step to steathly bringing Digital Distribution so they can do a way with the 2nd hand market.  But if they piss of the Game(stops) and Gamestations of this world, who is going to sell there hardware for them?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.