Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Digital Distribution

Concept »

The concept of purchasing media and having it delivered over the internet. No physical representation of this content is given, and although the content resides on the user's hard drive they are typically granted a license to the product, rather than ownership of it.

Retailers have the Industry by the Balls.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Jayge_

I was just wondering what all of you guys thought about the retail industry's hold on the development and publishing industries as a whole. I was thinking about this today as I checked the PSStore repeatedly for Patapon 2, which I intend to purchase digitally (not through GameStop). The release date is May 5th. Where is the game? Ask GameStop.

One of the reasons Digital Distribution hasn't been embraced as heavily by the publishing industry (who would have the ability to much more directly control their own profits) is because retailers are still 94% to 99% of the games market, depending on who you ask. The fear that the idea of them being a dying link instills in these man-child companies makes them whine like 3 year olds when DD shows its face in areas that would normally be entirely retail territory. In the market of PC gaming they don't care that much because there's nothing they can do to stop it, and besides, nobody buys PC games from stores anymore. Anyway.

The most annoying thing about Retail hampering DD comes from release dates and pricing. They have the industry by the balls in this area, and they will for a few more years. Sony and other online services (excluding Valve, who has incredible balls) are afraid to release games on their fucking *street dates* and give price cuts of even $5, which is what you would get the game used for in a retail store anyway. Granted I would gladly pay more than $20 for Patapon, but the fact that it's not available on its release date simply to stroke the ego (funny thing about GameStop's ego... it's located on its cock) of a company/industry that, more than any other, could afford to have some pressure placed on it to reform its outdated and slowly dying methods of ripping off consumers rubs me the wrong way (not on my cock).

I have no idea what I just wrote, because I can hardly keep my eyes open, so I think I'll post it against my better judgement and go to sleep.

Yeah.
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Gizmo

I've just lost my Halo 3 disk. So at this matter of time, I wish Digital Distribution was in place, so I could re-download it.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64

I think PS stores usually update on Thursday only so I bet it wont be up till then.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Jayge_
    Gizmo said:
    "I've just lost my Halo 3 disk. So at this matter of time, I wish Digital Distribution was in place, so I could re-download it."
    Ideally, your game box would include a code voucher that would allow you to register it to a central account that would allow you to re-download Halo 3 in the event that your game disk is no longer useable. Unfortunately, that won't happen until retailers are somehow crippled either.

:-(

JJOR64 said:
    "I think PS stores usually update on Thursday only so I bet it wont be up till then."
    I was under the impression that this would be a simultaneous release, but if this is the case, I'm going to have even less respect for Sony. So pointless.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.