Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Digital Rights Management

Concept »

The controversial practice of incorporating "access control technology" into digital media so as to limit what owners of that media can do with it, most commonly for the stated purpose of preventing piracy.

No more used games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Ravenlight

IGN has an article about Sony investigating a way to tie discs to your account, an effective way to virtually eliminate used game sales.

Would this feature be enough to deter you guys from buying the Playstation 4, or is this not really a big deal in a future where larger and larger portion of the games market are going solely digital?

Personally, I don't really care all that much either way, but I can definitely imagine how this sort of thing would piss people off.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Sterling

If they do implement it, I would not buy that console. Part of the reason why I play games on consoles is free market. Once I am done with said game, I am able to resell it to recoup some of the cost. If that is no longer an option, then another console gets my money.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By doobie

honestly with how fast games fall in price these days i don't understand why people need to buy second hand games.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By EquitasInvictus

I think this might overlap with this forum thread.

It wouldn't necessarily deter me from a Playstation 4, though. I barely buy used.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

Not going to pass judgement on it till it comes out and all the facts are out.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Bollard

@oulzac: I don't think it's that unlikely that the next gen will have some form of anti-resale method like this. And if Sony does it, MS sure will too. So have fun with the Wii U.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sterling

@Chavtheworld said:

@oulzac: I don't think it's that unlikely that the next gen will have some form of anti-resale method like this. And if Sony does it, MS sure will too. So have fun with the Wii U.

I already have one, and I quite like it, thanks.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Trilogy

I never resell my games but I do buy used and rent from time to time. So, yea, this would probably color which system I went with if Sony did end up going through with it. I may just end up staying with pc gaming if I have to. No used games but constant deals on steam covers that in spades.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By AlexW00d

@oulzac said:

@Chavtheworld said:

I'm pretty sure it'd be big 3 or bust. So have fun with your Ouya...

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sterling

@AlexW00d said:

@oulzac said:

@Chavtheworld said:

The Wii U is already out, and could not be implemented on it, as there is a hardware requirement in the console itself for this tech to work. And I have an Ouya in the mail, should be here Monday, thanks.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AlexW00d

@oulzac: You kind of missed the point I was making...

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Jeust
    @oulzac said:

@AlexW00d said:

@oulzac said:

@Chavtheworld said:

The Wii U is already out, and could not be implemented on it, as there is a hardware requirement in the console itself for this tech to work. And I have an Ouya in the mail, should be here Monday, thanks.

Welcome to the future!  Let's not kid ourselves. The console developers and publishers are and will be looking for new ways to counteract the big problems they had this generation, mainly pirating and the second hand market. So it will get bloody. 

That's why I won't buy a next gen console. The next generation will probably be like this one, but worse with less games and a more restrictive grip on the consumer and more DLC.
    RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By RobotHamster

Well I can't buy used games or resell them on steam so I'm used to it. But whenever I do buy for console I try to go used but I don't think that reason alone would stop me from getting a console if I like enough of the exclusives.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Justin258

@AlexW00d said:

I'm curious as to what point you were making, other than the one he addressed.

On-topic: I don't know. I don't want to have a knee-jerk reaction to what might end up being nothing. And I find myself going more and more digital as time passes, especially since I now play games on PC most of the time.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By psylah

The way I see it, if they get ANY sort of initial install base with this system in place, it will become a terribly attractive option for developers. If we make the game for this console, we are guaranteed to see a profit for every sale of a copy of our game? It's like a dream come true. Developers and publishers may flock to the idea, so long as there is a market to sell to.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By ProfessorEss

Oh videogames. Yes, these anti-used measures will keep me away from the next generation of consoles.

Not only will it kill the discounts you get by buying used, but it will also kill the discounts that publishers release on their games to compete with the used market (and then we'll see if it trickles into the digital retail space). I don't know what makes these companies think that if they kill the used market that I'll all of a sudden start paying 70 bucks for mediocre products but hey, it's their ball, their prerogative.

I think this whole war on used games is going to backfire on them.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GaspoweR

The LAST thing they want to do is cut out major retailers like Best Buy and Gamestop from being able to resell their games. IF this turns out to be true, this gives those retailers even less of an incentive to want to sell their products in their stores once the next console comes out but then again this might be something else entirely. Maybe you can resell those games to certain ("authorized") retailers like the aforementioned ones who then can probably rescan it with a propriety device provided by Sony so someone else can still play the used game on their next-gen PS. This will probably just prevent direct reselling via eBay for example or being able to use that disc in somebody else's Playstation when you have already used it on your console without re-scanning it.

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kgb0515

The biggest issue that I would take with it would be not having the ability to rent games anymore. I rarely rent, but there are some games like Halo 4 and Blops 2 that I tried out ahead of time. Turns out I didn't want to buy Halo 4 after all, but I'm glad I didn't spend the $60 on it. I would imagine that companies like GameFly would be pretty much obsolete if this were to happen across the board. On the other hand, I pretty much just buy games on the cheap online now, so I wouldn't be too upset. If there's a console exclusive I want, I get it new, and usually full retail. I always thought DRM would bother me a lot, but it turns out that it doesn't.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ravenlight

@EquitasInvictus said:

I think this might overlap with this forum thread.

Damn, you're right. And I totally went through two pages of forums to see if there was already a topic, too :(

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AlexW00d

@believer258 said:

@AlexW00d said:

I'm curious as to what point you were making, other than the one he addressed.

On-topic: I don't know. I don't want to have a knee-jerk reaction to what might end up being nothing. And I find myself going more and more digital as time passes, especially since I now play games on PC most of the time.

My point was that the only way this will happen is if Sony, MS, and Nintendo come to an agreement and all commit to it, that's the way I see it happening anyway. I doubt any one of them will wanna commit to it alone, just in case it backfires.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jdh5153

@GaspoweR said:

The LAST thing they want to do is cut out major retailers like Best Buy and Gamestop from being able to resell their games. IF this turns out to be true, this gives those retailers even less of an incentive to want to sell their products in their stores once the next console comes out but then again this might be something else entirely. Maybe you can resell those games to certain ("authorized") retailers like the aforementioned ones who then can probably rescan it with a propriety device provided by Sony so someone else can still play the used game on their next-gen PS. This will probably just prevent direct reselling via eBay for example or being able to use that disc in somebody else's Playstation when you have already used it on your console without re-scanning it.

They don't need Best Buy or Gamestop. No one wants to buy stuff at a store anymore. No one buys CDs, no one buys DVDs, no one wants to buy disc based video games. Why bother when all you have to do is click 'buy' and an hour or two later you're playing the game? Sure you might have slow internet, so then you have two choices: upgrade your internet or find a new hobby, because they don't need you.

This is the way the world is going, 100% digital. You don't believe me? Go try to rent a movie at Blockbuster...oh wait....

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By musubi

I'm fine with it because honestly if they make the new consoles easy enough to download shit I'll just download all of my games anyways. Give me a 1TB hard drive and let me go at it. Then again I'm not even sure If I will buy a new console because If I'm spending that much money I might as well just cough up a few hundred more and get a new PC.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NinjaBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NinjaBerd

Does anyone really, truly, honestly believe that either Sony or Microsoft would try this?

The only way this would happen is if the big 3 got together in secret and all agreed to do it, and that is not going to happen.

The execs over at Sony or Microsoft would be terrified to actually implement that system because they know their competitors would immediately point that out as a "flaw" to their system.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By subject2change

I'd be fine with it honestly. I buy games new most of the time anyway, after they get discounted in the first place.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By iamjohn

Remember when we had the big scare before the PS3 came out about how Sony patented tech that would tie a disc to the console it had first been used on to stop trade-ins? That sure was a fucked up feature Sony added to the PS3 and made it so we couldn't play used games, amirite? My point is, they pull this shit every time they're working on a new console and it has never come to pass, so can we please stop acting like it will?

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jdh5153

@NinjaBerd said:

Does anyone really, truly, honestly believe that either Sony or Microsoft would try this?

The only way this would happen is if the big 3 got together in secret and all agreed to do it, and that is not going to happen.

The execs over at Sony or Microsoft would be terrified to actually implement that system because they know their competitors would immediately point that out as a "flaw" to their system.

Yes. The music industry did it. Do you buy used mp3s?

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Klei

@oulzac said:

If they do implement it, I would not buy that console. Part of the reason why I play games on consoles is free market. Once I am done with said game, I am able to resell it to recoup some of the cost. If that is no longer an option, then another console gets my money.

That's how PC games are. They're half the price, though.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Sterling

@Klei said:

@oulzac said:

That's how PC games are. They're half the price, though.

I would have no issue with it if it was done in a steam fashion, but that wont happen. No way we see console games dropping in price for new releases.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By granderojo

They could just require Sony games to use a CD key. Gamestop doesn't accept used games with CD keys. Boom problem solved.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

There's already a thread on this here. Locking this one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.