Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dishonored 2

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 11, 2016

Set fifteen years after the end of the first game, Dishonored 2 allows players to continue the story as either original protagonist Corvo Attano or his daughter and apprentice, the now-deposed Empress Emily Kaldwin.

No Hype for Dishonored?

• 64 results
    Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Junkerman

Just found out Dishonored 2 was even a thing let alone coming out in a matter of days! No marketing for this game or what? After how much of a success the first one was I'm surprised not more of a fuss is being made.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By meptron

bethesda no longer releases games to media ahead of time, as per their new policy. Nobody can talk about a game they haven't played, outside of a limited media event...

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

2 years of prominent placement at the Bethesda E3 conference, touring the leads to journos (Harvey Smith was on the Vice Gaming New Podcast with Austin and Patrick just a few weeks ago), live action and CGI trailers, some really cool tech discussion, events for journos (turned up here as an Unfinished narrating over the recorded footage), and livestreams (both with journos and direct from the dev studio).

We're in the new era of Bethesda not handing out early review copies so don't expect anyone to talk about playing it until launch day but I don't think it's exactly been a secret this game is coming.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

@shivoa: yeah, i agree that you have to be living under a rock not to realize this game is coming. But not everybody gets hyped by marketing, and most of what you listed are examples of marketing. Personally i think there is still value in games journalism and I'm going to need to wait a bit after this game comes out before i can commit to it.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

hmm i saw a commercial for Dishonored 2 the other day, it was Live action or something i think.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Tom_omb

It had a pretty good showing at e3. It was enough to sell me on a preorder. That and the limited time offer to get the first Dishonored for current gen.

It's THE game I've been looking forward to this fall.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I remember that first game being successful but not exceptionally so.

ANyway, yeah, Dishonored 2 has been all over the place.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah it's been a pretty big presence but probably won't be completely covering every website until late this week/all of next week since it comes out November 11th. I'm extremely excited and hope it's good, but because of Bethesda's new media policy I'm still waiting to hear about it before I decide to purchase. Their PC versions of games are normally pretty good but I've had some weirdness with the Skyrim remaster so I'm wary. Fingers crossed that it's great.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been covered at a lot of games events and I've been seeing commercials for it constantly in the last week or two. So I don't think it's doing too badly in terms of getting the word out. As others have said you won't see much review coverage on it before it's out.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I don't think Bethesda not sending out review copies has that much to do with pre-hype levels as there were several waves of advertising and developer walkthroughs of levels. Fact of the matter is that the first game didn't set the world on fire and the second one seems to be just more of that, so if you like Dishonored then the sequel is probably something you're looking forward to but if not then there isn't anything new here to sway you over.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I knew it was coming this year, but had no idea it was like right around the corner. Anyways, I don't have the cash or time for another big game right now. Unfortunately. I never ended up beating the first though.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Uh, there's been a lot of promotion for it

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

I am currently hyped.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By DharmaBum

I don't know how you market Dishonored to anyone other than people who liked the first game.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I am silently extremely excited. I think it's just that stealth isn't a huge mainstream genre and (sweeping statement incoming) a lot of mainstream critics don't seem to like stealth games.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pumped if gamefly sends me a copy near release. If not, I'll just be bummed out. First one was awesome, but also left a lot of room for improvement. So I could see this one being amazing if all the pieces fall into place.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marz: Wha-zam.

Loading Video...

Besides The Last Guardian (and maybe Watch Dogs 2), this is the last bigger release for me this year, so I'll happily give the game a try.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pompouspizza

I could not be more excited. I loved the first Dishonored so much!

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By paulmako

I picked up the first Dishonored recently in PS4 digital sale and it was really great. It took me a little bit of adjusting to get used to the stealth and how vulnerable your health is, but that was done over the course of the first level. I really enjoyed it after that and am confident that more of that style game would be fun.

There definitely has been promo for it. There was an Unfinished video about a month ago.

Edit: If you want a real unhyped game, consider that Watch Dogs 2 is out 4 days later.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I'm reasonably hyped. In fact, I actually p******red the game.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You don't use the hype machine for stealth sims they are niche titles the people who care will know its coming out, the original Dishonored wasn't a big seller more a critical hit.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've definitely got some hype, but I have so many games I want to get first that this may as well not be coming out for another six months. I'll rev up my hype train later.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm excited for it for sure, but there have been so many huge releases recently that I honestly forgot this was coming out so soon. I loved the first game (though I think it was a bit short), so I'll definitely be playing this when it comes out.

On a related note, 2016 has been a great year for gaming. This is truly the best time to be playing video games.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking forward to it. Dishonored was a game I really dug, even the story and moral system. Getting a bit worried that the website I purchased a code from haven't emailed it yet, but I'm sure everything will turn out perfectly fine.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By OurSin_360

I have seen commercials for it so its being marketed, and i remember the crew talking about it during e3. But not alot of website talk recently probably because if the new policy that everybody mentioned.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt: I think stealth games are tough to review simply because they take time and patience when your typical reviewer has a limited window in which to play through the entire game and write the review before the game actually drops - although as discussed in another thread the importance of day one reviews is increasingly dwindling from an already "barely useful" to "completely obsolete."

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking forward to it! Played the first one in a weekend where I knew I had nothing else going on; it was fantastic. I ended up buying it on PC after beating it on the 360 from that weekend Redbox rental.

I do find it weird that I've seen 10x more commercials for the Skyrim remaster than I have for Dishonored 2.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tanookisuit: depressingly enough I wouldn't be surprised if the Skyrim remaster sold 10x as much as Dishonored 2. I see people on my Steam friends list playing Skyrim to this very day.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I'm pretty hyped for Dishonored 2, but I also love these sorts of games, to the point where I will stand up for the Thief Reboot from a couple of years back. I found Deus Ex: Mankind Divided to be mildly disappointing, so I'm hoping that Dishonored 2 does better than that.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hyped af honestly

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I noticed there's no season pass or digital deluxe bullshit for Dishonored 2. On one hand, that's refreshing. On the other hand, are they telling us they don't think it's going to sell well enough to bother with DLC?

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34 49th  Online

I tried multiple times to get into the first game I and just find it so hard to keep playing. I think Dishonored 2 is likely to receive very average reviews and be forgotten about.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I can't wait to get my "digital" hands on this game.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37 FinalDasa  Moderator

I see this complaint a lot of for a lot of games. "No marketing anywhere!"

Dishonored 2 has a ton of commercials playing on TV and I assume will get standees in stores. No publisher would invest the time and money to make a sequel and not factor in a decent sized marketing push for it.

More than likely, you aren't targeted in whatever marketing they have out. Since you already go to gaming sites, you're already going to be more knowledgeable and aware of Dishonored 2 than someone who doesn't follow gaming news very closely.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sunbrozak: I had no idea there was a novel.

Is it any good? The world seems fascinating but somehow I never had the patience to read all those in-game books. If there was ever a time I wanted audio logs then Dishonored was definitely it. Plenty of time to listen to them while slowly crouching up on unsuspecting guards.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Harvey Smith was featured on a Waypoint podcast a bit back. Fun one. Just thought I'd chime in with that little tidbit.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By glots

@humanity: I did something more odd and bought The Dunwall Archives book few years ago, which consists of all the in-game books and then some. Sorta fun to flip through and it looks pretty.

Here's the latest story set-up trailer.

Loading Video...

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I'm probably a little biased because I played the first three hours of Dishonored 1 and then I was done with it, so I don't really have an interest in this game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots: Oh man that looks pretttttty slick and I'm one of those crazies that actually likes art books. Thanks for the heads up.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
    militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm tempted to pre-order this game. I haven't played Dishonored, so getting the current-gen version as a pre-order bonus seems like a good deal to me. At the same time, I usually wait for reviews or at least first impressions to see if a game is as good as advertised, but obviously this is not likely to happen considering Bethesda latest policy of not sending review copies to the media.

jcracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't preordered the game because I'm hoping to use it in that Best Buy B1G1 40% off sale that goes live tomorrow (possibly tonight) but the lack of buzz in the same way there was a distinct lack of buzz for Deus Ex actually really scares me into thinking this might bomb in the same way that game did. I'd hope a main difference would be that people maybe were into playing another one of those but not at the current time, maybe in a few months when it goes on sale, whereas what limited conversations I've seen of Dishonored is more people either going "I'm excited and picking this up as soon as it's out" or "yeah sure I liked the first one I'll jump in on this one too" but in a very low key way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never got into Dishonored. I thought it tried way too many things with the combat, and none of it felt great.
    I did think it did a decent job creating an interesting setting, and I don't generally like industrial steampunk/fantasy stuff.

I'm interested to see how this one turns out, because I like some of Arkane's earlier games like Dark Messiah and Arx Fatalis.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting pretty hyped for this now.

I was going to wait for the reviews to land and go with PC (played the first on PC, very used to using a mouse for immersive sims) but Amazon are doing it as the cheap pack in for the PS4 Pro (plus Prime pre-order discount) where I live so about $19 + tax to pre-order this on top of the Pro's cost. That's the sort of deal where I'll play it now and if I really have to have it for replay/archive purposes on PC then eventually it'll be in a really cheap Steam sale or something.

Really hope they've done a few quality of life tweaks for those of us who play this as a Thief game (no one dies, you're never seen) as the only real frustration that took away from the last game was the occasional time when I'd finished a level and it claimed someone died, if only it surfaced that before the level end then I'd know what stupid thing it was deciding was a kill (general consensus seems to be this mainly comes from unconscious bodies clipping through geometry and dying that way).

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When was this game announced? I remember it being a E3, but it can't have been this year, right? But then again, it feels like it was this year.

Inresurrection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to play it. The first Dishonored was my favourite release of 2012.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.