Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dishonored 2

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 11, 2016

Set fifteen years after the end of the first game, Dishonored 2 allows players to continue the story as either original protagonist Corvo Attano or his daughter and apprentice, the now-deposed Empress Emily Kaldwin.

Performance is much better now. (Beta patch and SLI support).

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

If you were holding back to play the game because of perf issues - you might want to take a look again.

The latest Nvidia drivers finally support SLI and there is also a beta patch out. (you need to opt in on steam)

I'm getting over 100fps @ 4k ultra.

How is it for other that had problems before? I was always overspec so i'm not a great example. :) But it is running MUCH better now.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By colourful_hippie

@zurv: Glad to hear as I'm installing it now. What are your specs? I'm running an i7 4770k and gtx 1080

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zurv

i'm running with i7-6950x @4.5ghz, 32gigs of ram and two (SLI) Pascal titan X at 2ghz.. (all watercooled). nvme HDs. LG OLED65G6P TV :)

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@zurv: Alright, gonna wait for others with more down to earth specs to comment seeing on how dual titan X's obviously skew things

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike how is it running for you?

Viqor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Cool. Gonna check this out. Hopefully there are some performance improvements for AMD users as well.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ivdamke

The performance is still the same in terms of framerate for mid-range PC's however the change to mouse sensitivity not being attached to framerate removes all the stuttering for me. So now I'm running 50-60FPS on average with rare dips to 45FPS with no stutter. The difference with the mouse sensitivity makes playing the game feel like night and day to me.

970/4690k/16GB RAM for clarity.

Avatar image for deactivated-63c06c6e81315
    deactivated-63c06c6e81315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Fixes an issue affecting CPU task priority - the game no longer switches CPU task priority

Happy to see this in the beta patch at least, as I think this is what was destroying my performance more than anything else.

Viqor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Viqor
    No Caption Provided

Initial impressions seem extremely positive. I've only tested for a hot minute, but the "AMD cloth physics issue" mentioned in the patch notes must have been what was killing my framerate. This scene that I've been testing on my AMD Fury (pretty much where I determined that the game was unplayable) used to run somewhere around 18-25 fps at 1440p (any settings), now I'm getting 35-40 fps on Very High. Not perfect, but with the mouse fixes it's certainly playable and I'm pretty excited to finally get to actually play this thing.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well 970/4690 and things have definitely improved noticeably. The framerate has not jumped significantly and still has a tendency to drop to the mid 40s or so if a lot of people are in shot at once but I'm not getting any of the stuttering I was experiencing before and with that gone it feels so much better to play.

games_dot_cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By games_dot_cool

Mouse sens changing with frame rate was my biggest issue with this game which is apparently fixed, I only occasionally dropped below 60fps on V.High 1080p. I will wait for the performance patch though since I got mine refunded.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So after another substantial 6 gb update this evening I can now comfortably run the game on Ultra.

What a long strange journey.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

@efesell: Yep, I think I'm finally going to sit down with the game now.

Just booted the game up after the latest Beta patch and found an improvement of 40fps on Ultra when I got off the boat in Karnaca. Basically double. No framerate dips either.

applegong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I have a 7950 with 3gb of vram and can now play this game at 1920x1200 on medium graphical settings and adaptive resolution at 80% rather comfortably. Sure it is in 30 to 40 ranges but a lot of the problems are now resolved.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Really glad the patches finally got this working properly (playing on PS4 but one day I'll want a version that runs in 8K or whatever it is that'll be the norm then). Seems like no game launches on PC actually working right now (remember a few years back when even ports worked right, now even games where the devs have a PC heritage and say they worked on the PC version not as a port but a major platform are busted).

I noted on the Steam page "Incorporates 3rd-party DRM: Denuvo Antitamper". Ye, I'm starting to think that's a sign. Devs building games without the DRM, getting ti working fine on all their dev stations and enjoying the game and expecting it to ship working just fine on at least most typical configurations like their office machines. Then the publisher comes in and gives then the DRM tools to bust their game by locking it down and messing with all timings and CPU loads by requiring it to dedicate time to real-time decryption. Oh look, the game launches totally busted on loads of different medium to higher end PC configurations that should be fine.

And Forza Horizon 3 launched totally busted because they didn't use Denuvo but some in-house real-time decoding DRM nonsense (which is how Denuvo works, decrypted on the fly rather than traditional DRM that, even with encrypted files, decrypys them at load time before booting into the actual game). On a game with, for the released package, busted threading/CPU load issues on a PC with several times the CPU performance of the XB1's SoC.

Really wishing paying for games actually involved getting the best version of them, not the version broken by intrusive DRM that add unnecessary burden to the hardware and wasn't there for the development life of the product so even devs who focus on in-house PC development and testing are blindsided by it.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Efesell

Eh there are plenty of games using Denuvo that work just fine, I don't really feel like giving devs a pass by blaming the DRM tools.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Maybe I'll finally get it on PC after all, unless it's on a decent PSN sale, which likely won't happen.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Shivoa

I mean, DRM can't make a game perform better. It can only hinder, especially with this new breed on memory-resident systems that don't just authenticate when you first run the game but are constantly there auditing the system and preventing an unencrypted version of the binary being saved out by hackers.

Just Cause 3 was famously giving totally unexplained and iffy framerate drops (it ran bad on consoles but on PC it ran fine fine fine... stall, cratered performance for no reason). Arkham Knight is another example. I had the exact same Just Cause 3 magic performance stalls issue [last text block] with Rise of the Tomb Raider (as did some reviewers). Every game where I've seen this performance weirdness which isn't related to graphical load and can't be fixed by changing settings has had Denuvo or running equivalent memory-resident decryption stuff (eg Forza Horizon 3).

Is every game being tanked by this? No. But it's something I've started to see as a correlation. And lots of development happens first with PC DRM installed at the end of the process and so isn't how the game is being developed. Maybe devs are not expecting that one of the four cores on a typical gaming system will be completely swamped by the DRM system they're having thrown at them and that it'll lock to the primary thread so lead to games with this lopsided core load issue that harms performance consistency and can't be fixed by lower GPU load with changing the visual settings.

The fun thing is we know from history that any devs who might be able to tell us (ie inside AA studios) will be blocked from talking about the issue and that we'll be told there isn't a problem even if there is right up until suddenly publishers will drop this new form of DRM with some non-committal statement. And this DRM isn't cheap, publishers are being charged a lot to include it and pushing up development costs under the assumption it actually increases sales (rather than just reducing piracy from people who would otherwise not buy the game).

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To anyone still having real trouble wrangling good performance out of Dishonored 2.

For whatever reason, Triple Buffering fixed almost everything for me. Most areas run at a very steady 60fps with High presets and all lighting effects on. Real problem areas that went down to 30 now go to 50 at worst.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

In case it still matters to anyone, I (so perhaps others) was having 8 minute plus load times between restarts. What I found was switching to borderless full window (whatever the distinction meant) totally cleared up the problem. Game is playable again, reloads quickly.

All it took was for me to say the hell with it, play TitanFall 2, then come back and look for a solution.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so sad because the games still runs terrible for me even with the recommended specs met.

my framerate is all over the place, it goes from 70 to 50 to 20 and i takes me out of the game completely.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I just started playing the game and still get pretty terrible performance on a GTX 1060. The frame-rate only becomes tolerable if I drop the settings down to medium.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.