Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dishonored

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

After the Empress is killed, her most loyal bodyguard, Corvo, becomes the prime suspect, and must track down those who murdered his charge and betrayed him in order to enact his bloody revenge.

Dishonored first Impressions.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai

So far I am really enjoying my time with the game. Coming fresh off of Thief 2 I have to admit that there are a lot of similarities. Hell I'll even go as far as saying that they give you the vibe this game could very well be set in the same universe as the Thief games.

Combat in the game is a ton of fun and it;s awesome to see a developer get melee in FPS so well.I can't to see how the combat in this game unfolds.

I am really liking the art direction, settings, and atmosphere the game creates though I find it lacking when it comes to graphics. A lot of muddled textures for a PC version. Hopefully we'll get a high res pack at some point in the future. The game could also use more graphics settings.

The option to mess with UI is a very cool feature and adds more immersion to an already immersive world. Also it comes very handy for taking clean screen shots which is always a plus.

The game seems ripe for mods and fan mission so lets hope the developer will consider adding that in the future.

Like I said I just came off of Thief 2 so it might be effecting me but I really could have used a Visibility Gem

For now that's it. Back to the game.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By colourful_hippie

I'm really hoping for a high res pack for sure. The game looks pretty nice already maxed out at 1080, I think this may be one of the few games I'll actually play with keyboard and mouse instead of taking advantage of the controller support. It's just one of those games.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By mosdl

The combat is indeed a lot of fun really early on, though after the first segment I went stealth and only killed if I got found. PC version looks good.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mordukai

@Colourful_Hippie: @mosdl: Are you guys getting hiccups from time to time?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f39c75856922
    deactivated-5f39c75856922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The environments look great in this game. How big are the levels?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @mordukai I ususally get them just after I load a save and that's it. Other than that it's been silky smooth
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By Sackmanjones

Anyway, this game seems stellar. Just the act of moving around in the dark, climbing up buildings. Jumping off them and blinking across to a small pipe. It just feels so damn good. The world is set up nicely, the independence of whale oil and integration of rats and the plague are really cool. And obviously the stealth mechanics and sheer range of "things" to do is fantastic. For example

I was trying to cross a distillery courtyard with about 5 or 6 enemies between me and the door. While I could have blinked to the pipe above and gone across to dodge the other 2 guards, I decided to unlock a door full of rats which panicked the whole gang in the courtyard letting me just waltz out of the courtyard. Awesome awesome stuff. Cannot wait to see what's in store later

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Genkkaku

Damn it sounds awesome and it does't unlock in steam for 2 days (well a day a day and a bit) in Australia..

Does it give you a good sense of how each mission can play out differently earlier on? and what style have you decided to play?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mordukai

@Genkkaku: No. The first level is pretty much A-B-C but it teaches you the ropes very well. Later missions are more complex. What it does teach you is what kind of player you want to be. Think Deus Ex 3. You can kill but it's a choice. So far I've only killed in self defense. I fully intend of doing a "No Kill/No Detection" play-through at some point.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Genkkaku

@mordukai: Okay that sounds cool.. Is there a ton of gadgets and weapons, you only get a sense of a few in the videos and the QL.. And with the UI options how much you playing with on-screen?

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By fetchfox

Love hearing this. Time to actually play games is scarce at the moment, but I reaaally want to play Dishonored... goddamnit.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mordukai

@Genkkaku: I haven't gotten far enough into the game to see all the gadgets and powers. As far as the UI option; you can play with all of them down to turning off the UI completely off.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By colourful_hippie
    @mordukai

@Colourful_Hippie: @mosdl: Are you guys getting hiccups from time to time?

Only when I do quick save. I'm having weird issue though where I do a quick load and the frame rate is stuck at 30 but when I quick load again it goes back to 60.
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By mosdl

@Genkkaku said:

Damn it sounds awesome and it does't unlock in steam for 2 days (well a day a day and a bit) in Australia..

Does it give you a good sense of how each mission can play out differently earlier on? and what style have you decided to play?

The first mission allows you to go all action crazy or stealthy and measures how much chaos (I forge the exact word used) when you finish it. Haven't seen any repercussions yet but since its the tutorial mission I doubt there are much yet.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SlashDance

I'm playing the game on very hard and I really like the fact that, despite the increased difficulty, you can still take out a pretty large number of guards if you plan your attack and use your gadgets. If you rush towards them with your sword, it only takes 2 of them to kill you, but I managed to wipe out an entire room without taking a scratch and that was one of the most satisfying things I've done in a game in a long while.

Basically what I did was toss a grenade in a group of 3 dudes, jump on another one from the ceiling, cut trough two guys that were too confused to see me, kill the next guard with a counter attack, and finally shot the last one as he was preparing to strike me. That was 8 kills in less than 10 seconds, it was fucking awesome !

Also Patrick was pretty spot on on the fact that even if you get caught and are clearly outmatched, there's always a way out. It was the case with Human Revolution to a degree but with the mobility and the verticality found in Dishonored it's just easier and way more fun to try and escape guards. For instance jumping off a window into the river bellow (earing guards yell "he jumped for it !" makes it even more satisfying).

The AI is maybe the only problem I have with the game for now. Sometimes you are right in front of a guard or on a ledge not 2 feet above them and they still don't see you. That's unfortunate but overall I am liking it a lot.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ravenlight

I love all toggles buried in the options menus. I spent a good ten minutes messing around with all of them. I ended up completely turning off everything; health/mana bars, HUD, crosshair. Dishonored is hella immersive this way.

The game also scratches a long-forgotten exploration itch. In the first mission-hub tavern area, I immediately made a 180 and swam out in the water just to see if the game would let me. I discovered four or five minor items and a bunch of gold on the sandy areas jutting our of the water and at least on item hidden underwater. Then I climbed up onto the rooftops and found a bunch more goodies and books. For such a (relatively) small area, there was a crapton of semi-hidden stuff to find.

I love the art direction, too. When I saw the first screens, I thought it looked to cartoony but the world has such verisimilitude that even the inhuman proportions of the human models doesn't seem out of place.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Genkkaku

@mordukai: Yeah that's sounds kinda cool,m I'm tempting to play it with all thing's off but I also want to start on a harder difficulty..

@mosdl: Oh yeah I forgot that the game has changes things depending on how you effect it

But only like 18 hours to go! can't wait

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mordukai

@SlashDance: I like how the AI has levels of detection. Helps a lot when sneaking. I do wish there was Drop N' Stun move. Seems like the only option is to kill them when you drop on them.

@Ravenlight said:

I love all toggles buried in the options menus. I spent a good ten minutes messing around with all of them. I ended up completely turning off everything; health/mana bars, HUD, crosshair. Dishonored is hella immersive this way.

I am very tempted to do that. Forces you to keep track of it instead of relying on the game.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19  Edited By granderojo

The game reminds me a lot more of Half Life and Assassin's Creed than I thought it would, and a lot less of Bioshock from watching the pre-release stuff. The aesthetic is clearly aping but even though Corvo isn't a complete silent protagonist, just something about him in the world reminds me of Gordan Freeman. Possibly the way it's paced, it may be to early for me to parse out what it is. At least the way I spec'd so far it feels a lot like Assigns Creed(agility, vitality, vision, etc) in the combat, which is great.

This is probably the best game I've play so far this year, and I loved, absolutely loved Sleepy Dogs. Think Patrick low balled this one personally.

silversaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By silversaint

I just finished the game on normal(took me 12 hours total), I literally did every sidequest and explored every nook and cranny in the game, though I missed 1 charm, a few paintings before I realized they existed and I never found an outsider mark. At first I was going really slow, 4 hours for the first 2 missions, then I finally got dark sight..more on that below. I also went the route of literally killing every single enemy in each zone with my knife, but tall boys as I killed oned initially and it just wasn't worth the effort, a few times I used my pistol like if i got spotted and had to handle like 5 guys at once and for a few of the enemies you need to use ranged, and doing the non-lethal kills for every boss. If you upgrade your pistol to max its jokingly strong due to the AI not being the smartest at combat. I also went straight for the dust on stealth kills thing, but apparently if you leave their weapons out...aka pistol or sword (you cant move these to my knowledge) patrolling guards will see them and realize someone died, which makes the ability seemingly worthless in many circumstances with large amounts of patrolling guards(first mission for instance), but overall I still found it useful later on.

I found the game enjoyable and I liked it a lot, especially the last parts of the game after like mission 6 or so. After I got used to the controls(except sliding because i never saw a good use for it and its akward to slide with keyboard/mouse), got darksight and blink level 2...you can kill enemies jokingly easy and darksight just yeah, If i do a 2nd play through I will not use darksight as its 1 rune, the cost is essentially free, it makes finding items trivial and killing/moving around. Also slow time lvl 2 is awesome, my favorite ability besides blink which is just incredible.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By musubi

Hmm... 100 point achievo for not killing anyone in the game. Tempted to do this but...where is the fun in being a supernatural assassin and not killing dudes?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mordukai

@Demoskinos said:

Hmm... 100 point achievo for not killing anyone in the game. Tempted to do this but...where is the fun in being a supernatural assassin and not killing dudes?

Killing is too easy. Being a huge Thief and Deus Ex fan I enjoy the hunt of knocking them out. There's something about games that makes the killing of enemies a choice that just makes me not kill anyone. It's also a psychological warfare on my part. It's me saying to them "I could have killed you just as easily but I choose not too".. LOL

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Marcsman

I'm enjoying it immensely.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By musubi

@mordukai: I've done it before in games like DeusEX:HR but I just wanna stab dudes! I'll go the stealth route for sure though.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By musubi

Not quite sure I get the "rules" of the stealth in this game. Do shadows straight up not matter? I've been spotted several times hiding in a dark corner.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Demoskinos said:

Not quite sure I get the "rules" of the stealth in this game. Do shadows straight up not matter? I've been spotted several times hiding in a dark corner.

Shadows matter, but only to the extent that they aid stealth. You can be far away from someone and they'll sort of look at you for a moment like "is that something there?", but in shadow they usually won't see you at all.

Up close, however, is totally different. Shadows don't hide you completely, so if a guard passes close by he's definitely likely to see you.

OT: Sure has had an impression on me; loved my time with it so far. I've just started level 6/9 on a no kills/zero-detection run and it's probably the most immersive game I've ever played. Rarely spend longer than an hour playing solidly these days, but I've just come off the back of about 6 hours there.

I did fuck up The Royal Physician, though. Someone got detected without realising it at all...

Does anyone know if I just re-do that level separately and stealth through it, whether I'll get the Shadow achievement (assuming I ghost the rest of the game, too)?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By musubi

@GetEveryone said:

@Demoskinos said:

Shadows matter, but only to the extent that they aid stealth. You can be far away from someone and they'll sort of look at you for a moment like "is that something there?", but in shadow they usually won't see you at all.

Up close, however, is totally different. Shadows don't hide you completely, so if a guard passes close by he's definitely likely to see you.

Ah, gotcha. I was wondering. I know some games shadows are a complete safe haven. I guess Dishonored is actually a tad bit more realistic in its approach to stealth then. I do have it cranked to Very Hard though so wondering if that affects it as well.

CapnThrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CapnThrash

Ive been on the first real mission for like 5 hours, just exploring and sneaking around. I like it so far. It still feels like I'm learning about the world and getting things done even if its not a direct objective.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By musubi

@CapnThrash: I'm with you. I've been restarting constantly trying new things and just trying to get bone charms/runes. Why you would just rush through the game is beyond me. I was worried initially from reports that the game was really short but that must only be if you really gun through the game.

hangedtoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By hangedtoaster

Game is seriously good, Is anyone else getting a serious Bioshock vibe from it though?

Gantrathor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Gantrathor

@hangedtoaster: It reminds me of Bioshock a bit because it's running on the Unreal Engine, but I get more of a Thief vibe when I play it. It definitely takes inspiration from a lot of games, though. (Which I'm okay with, because I think it's fantastic so far.)

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@GetEveryone said:

@Demoskinos said:

OT: Sure has had an impression on me; loved my time with it so far. I've just started level 6/9 on a no kills/zero-detection run and it's probably the most immersive game I've ever played. Rarely spend longer than an hour playing solidly these days, but I've just come off the back of about 6 hours there.

I did fuck up The Royal Physician, though. Someone got detected without realising it at all...

Does anyone know if I just re-do that level separately and stealth through it, whether I'll get the Shadow achievement (assuming I ghost the rest of the game, too)?

Well, since the system seems to save your best performance for each individual episode, I assume that re-doing a level should take care of it. I went through the game the first time with a mix of both stealth and action. Now I'm going through each individual episode trying for no kills. And so far, it's only saving my best runs.

@Demoskinos said:

@CapnThrash: I'm with you. I've been restarting constantly trying new things and just trying to get bone charms/runes. Why you would just rush through the game is beyond me. I was worried initially from reports that the game was really short but that must only be if you really gun through the game.

Yeah, you have to know exactly where to go and what to do in order to beat this game in under four hours. But where is the fun in that? The best part of this game is exploring this world. I went through the second mission three times, and had three very different experiences. And I'm sure there are plenty more ways I could have completed it. The people who are refusing to buy this game because of the 'under four hour' nonsense, are ignorant at best.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#33  Edited By Sin4profit

@mordukai said:

So far I am really enjoying my time with the game. Coming fresh off of Thief 2 I have to admit that there are a lot of similarities. Hell I'll even go as far as saying that they give you the vibe this game could very well be set in the same universe as the Thief games.

This is one of the most pleasent suprises i felt when i was playing the game, the point where i realized it was scratching my Thief itch.

kartanaold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kartanaold

Not my cup of tea. I always feel that I'm exploiting the (mediocre) AI in such games.  
    Endless waiting and watching movement patterns is probably also not my thing. 

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By musubi

So, im on the third mission. Yet I think I might do something I've not done in a long time. Delete my saves and restart the entire game. I've been having fun with the game but I've just not been satisfied with my performances in the missions. So I think Im going to restart and make absolutely sure that I dont kill or seen by anyone Also, for such a "big" game I dont see anyone discussing it hardly I see dozens of Xcom topics though. I guess that ended up being more popular?

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Genkkaku

Man, there are some really awesome thing's about this game.. I kinda wish that I didn't explore so much because I'm finding all the alternate routes to enter the places, but damn if I don't love the art direction of this game..

Also started using Possess to move guys out of the way then choke them out, and noticed they start to vomit as you de-possess them and if you time it right they throw throw up everywhere while you choke them, it's kind of messed up..

@Demoskinos said:

I wish there was also a 100 point achievement for killing as well.. It's like the game is trying to force you down that specific route.. There is one for high chaos for 50 points at least

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By DharmaBum

Torturing the art dealer at the brothel has been the highlight for me thus far.

Avatar image for myelbowsfelloff
    MyElbowsFellOff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MyElbowsFellOff

@mordukai said:

I am really liking the art direction, settings, and atmosphere the game creates though I find it lacking when it comes to graphics. A lot of muddled textures for a PC version. Hopefully we'll get a high res pack at some point in the future. The game could also use more graphics settings.

The textures are supposed to look "muddled". The game is meant to look like an oil painting, and it works in my opinion. Good change of pace from the super gritty realistic Battlefields and Cryses.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.