Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dishonored

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

After the Empress is killed, her most loyal bodyguard, Corvo, becomes the prime suspect, and must track down those who murdered his charge and betrayed him in order to enact his bloody revenge.

Dishonored opinions?

• 52 results
    seanconnery13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By seanconnery13

From the two trailers I have seen recently on the site I can gladly say I'm super excited for this game. It looks to be packed with so many features to keep players coming back. Also I got a Bioshock, Deus Ex vibe while watching the trailers.

What are your thoughts on the game and are you looking forward to it?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ravenlight

I think the art style is like the super-deformed love-child of Half-Life 2 and Bioshock and I love it. I was initially a bit cold on the actual gameplay but once I saw the game in action, I was onboard.

That said, I'm definitely going to wait until the reviews start rolling out for Dishonored because I feel like there's the potential for another Homefront here.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder

Looks interesting; always good to see more 'immersive sims', especially since Bioshock Infinite is going to be released next year. Although, having said that, I'm going to wait and see how the game will be received on release. At the moment, I would say I'm about 60% interested in the game.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Phatmac

It's strange that people seem to forget who actually developed this game. Arkane studios isn't a trust-worthy name to me so I don't know what this game will actually be. So far it looks interesting and is at least attempting to be different. However, Dishonored isn't a guaranteed hit to me at least. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see this game being universally praised. I have my doubts.

TeamJersey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TeamJersey

I love stealth games and since this game gives you the option to go all stealth, all the time, I am pumped. Looks good.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

As Ravenlight said, the art style is really awesome, although it reminds me more of BioShock than Half Life 2 for some reason. I'm interested in the game, but I can't decide whether it will be great or not. I think it'll come down to story, size of the levels, as well as length of the game. The stealth elements look really good.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake

Looks like a mix of Bioshock, Deus Ex and Thief. As a fan of those games that's not a bad thing. It's also good to see that combat is a viable and fun option too since DX: HR's biggest problem is that action orientated runs are less rewarding and fun in comparison to stealth approaches. The textures look a little muddy at spots but I couldn't care less since this game looks pretty stellar, at least conceptually.

Overall it looks great but I like to remain sceptical. Also does anyone know if it's possible to turn off the quest markers? There's quite a lot of them from what I've seen in the trailers.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CaLe

I don't like the look of the combat, but I'd want to play it stealthily anyway so it shouldn't be a big drawback. I'll definitely play it.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Jimbo

It pains me to say it, because Harvey Smith, but based on those two trailers I think it looks kinda shitty. The game didn't look particularly strong in either stealth or action, and which course you happened to choose didn't really seem all that important either. Perhaps they just didn't do a very good job of explaining why it matters how you play.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Genkkaku

I really like the overlook of it, it seems to play well, if the melee combat does look a bit stumpy. But some of the ideas seem really interesting and the potential of the teleport is a neat idea.

Theres a pretty interesting article over on Polygon about the two creative directors, that seems like these guys could defiantly pull of something special.

BormahAl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BormahAl

The sword combat looks a little bit clunky but besides that it looks all good.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pezen

The art style doesn't quite appeal to me, and I didn't think there was enough to really differ "action" from "stealth", at least judging from the trailers they released. I think I also noted some limitations in that stealth trailer. He took control of one of his targets and went out on the balcony, exited his target and blew him off the balcony. I thought that felt a little too clunky, I would have wished you could have jumped him down, perhaps exiting in the process, without risking your own life but that seems like the limitation of that system. You "become" that character to the point that you're also stuck in them for good and bad. I like the idea of doing side-quests to get to targets without actually ever having to deal with them personally, I like the different paths you could take to complete the mission but it also felt very artificially closed off from any real sense of a surrounding universe. It really felt like a big room with a big house in it. Maybe playing it feels different but.. yeah. I can't quite put my finger on it but the game just seems to be missing something.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Justin258

I think it looks pretty damned good. I'll reserve final judgements until release, of course, but I'm excited to see if this game is a dud, a flawed masterpiece, or something truly special. Hopefully the latter. However

@Phatmac said:

It's strange that people seem to forget who actually developed this game. Arkane studios isn't a trust-worthy name to me so I don't know what this game will actually be. So far it looks interesting and is at least attempting to be different. However, Dishonored isn't a guaranteed hit to me at least. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see this game being universally praised. I have my doubts.

I've heard this sentiment before, though I don't know what else Arkane has made. Then again, crap studios have surprisingly turned out something great before, so maybe this will be a case of that happening.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By _Zombie_

Definitely interested; but like most of the people in this thread I'm going to wait for reviews to decide if if I should buy it.

Chroma_Auron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15  Edited By Chroma_Auron

@believer258 said:

I think it looks pretty damned good. I'll reserve final judgements until release, of course, but I'm excited to see if this game is a dud, a flawed masterpiece, or something truly special. Hopefully the latter. However

@Phatmac said:

I've heard this sentiment before, though I don't know what else Arkane has made. Then again, crap studios have surprisingly turned out something great before, so maybe this will be a case of that happening.

All the games they have released have been good. Arx fatalis, and Dark messiah of might and magic. I believe that the studio was formed by some people that were apart of Looking Glass studios.

Anyway, I'm impressed by the game. The maps look very open with plenty of ways to approach. Watching it reminds me of the thief series.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#16  Edited By donutfever

It looks good, but I'll wait until reviews come out because there like 20 games that look great this fall.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By nightriff

Can't wait for this game, I think it looks fucking fantastic and can't wait to pick it up in October. Since Last of Us got delayed this will just give me more time to devour this game that I hope turns out to be gem.

nasseh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By nasseh

That pre-E3 trailer they released a few weeks ago almost put me off this game, but the new gameplay trailers they released have sold me on it. I think it looks like a lot of fun.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By onarum

What will make or break this game for me is how good the stealth mechanics/AI are, take metro 2033 for example, the stealth in that game is fucking terrible, yeah it's mainly a FPS but there are many sections were stealth is pretty much enforced, and it's one of those games were all the enemy NPCs are part of a hive mind + have remote viewing capabilities since the moment they see a body or you, even if it was just 1 guy on  a dark corner somewhere that saw you and you killed him silently before he could even shoot, no matter where you are when that happens, they all instantaneously know exactly where you are.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Morrow

I'd definately be interested if you could switch between first- and third-person view. The first-person view in Deus Ex: HR was a huge put off. I just need to see my character on screen, otherwise I get paranoid.

I just don't see why they don't implement a switch-view function... :(

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    • Visuals: Too unrealistic and cartoony, too Borderlands and Bioshock with the user interface, AI animations and behavior, and the visual style itself (textures and colors). Those kind of visual environments break my immersion and enjoyment. Makes me feel like I'm stuck in a bad cartoon.
    • Gameplay: Outstanding. Taking the Thief style of stealth gameplay and awareness and mixing it with some Bioshock-esque powers, in addition to the variety of ways you can achieve your goal, I can see myself creating wonderful and unique scenarios that will be very pleasant and amusing to pull off. 
    • First person view: Love it! Way too many third person stealth games out there, and they get rather annoying when trying to stealthly move through tight indoors areas. I want it to be up close and personal, just like Thief and Mirror's Edge.

Verdict: Day 1 purchase. It's all about open-ended gameplay that allows me to create events, not witness them.
    GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GooieGreen

What I've seen of the stealth action, I'm loving. The BioShock fights, however (i.e. plasmid battling), I could do without.

warcrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By warcrow

Guys! :)

http://eat-games.tumblr.com/post/26640168745/interview-rafael-colantonio-dishonored

I interviewed Rafael Colantonio, co-creative director on Dishonored about: Non-lethal gameplay, Analog AI, Viktor Antonov, if Dishonored has multiple endings and a leveling system, targeting limbs, Neo-Victorian Steampunk, possessing a fish and sliding under tables.

It seems to me designing the controls for a game like Dishonored would be incredibly difficult. On one hand you want to make the game accessible to those who are new to the genre and interested in the game. On the other hand you have the core audience who’ve been playing these types of games for a very long time, and you certainly don’t want them to feel like they’re making unnecessary concessions. How on Earth are you guys approaching this?

Oh that’s a very very smart and insightful question, and it lies at the heart of our challenge really. The game has a lot of depth and it’s very hardcore by nature, but at the same time we don’t want it to be inaccessible. So we’re constantly putting a lot of effort into making sure the mechanics [are playable] for anyone, without losing the depth this type of game needs. You know, depth and accessibility are not enemies. It is possible to make games that have depth and are accessible. What you don’t want is complexity. So there’s a lot of effort on our part to make the right tutorial and expose the right options to the player at all times.

So yes, to answer the question, it’s a very difficult challenge and we don’t believe we’re betraying the hardcore while bringing it to the masses.

Hope you like it! Worked hard on this one. :)

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By senorfuzzeh

I've been excited for this game ever since It was the cover story for Gameinformer like a year ago.

Also I just want to throw out a side note that I think its really cool that the Pre-order for this is actually something Physical (The Deck of Taro Cards) Something about actually getting something else with my game makes me want it that much more.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Zella

It looks like it could be pretty awesome though at the same time it seems like it could end up being terrible once you actually play it. I do like that they keep brute force as a viable option though, cause while it was possible in Deus Ex it could be incredibly difficult at times.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CheapPoison

I wouldn't know i haven't played it!

Eye_Have_You

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Eye_Have_You

I love everything I've seen about this game. I have a preorder down for it, and October 9th just cannot get here any faster.

#stoked #whothehelluseshashtagsanymore?

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JonSmith

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Bandit_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bandit_Fox

@JonSmith: Ditto.

I think this could be a great game. It seems like they're set up some pretty loft goals and the trailers seems to execute on them. We haven't really seen a lot of player controlled videos yet, have we? As far as I see, it's all studio stuff and trailers. Because of this, I am irrationally worried that it will be buggy at launch and require considerable patching before it's really playable. Again, no basis for this fear... I just feel like I've seen this happen with this caliber of game before, though I cannot point to a specific instance off hand...

Also, the "Drunken Sailor" song from one of the trailers has been in my head since listening to it. CREEPY/AWESOME SONG when you consider it's lyrics.

spiderfan96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By spiderfan96

@Morrow said:

I'd definately be interested if you could switch between first- and third-person view. The first-person view in Deus Ex: HR was a huge put off. I just need to see my character on screen, otherwise I get paranoid.

I just don't see why they don't implement a switch-view function... :(

I have to agree i like having the choice between first and third person like in fallout

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By probablytuna

I really hope this game turns out to be awesome. I have high hopes for it.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

I'm not excited I'm more curious to see what people think of it after launch. If there's a positive reception I'll think about picking it up.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By AssInAss

I might have way too high expectations for it, because I'm hoping for it to be my GoTY. Don't have high hopes for the story, but that's about it.

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By kraznor

I've honestly been pretty underwhelmed by everything I've seen about it. Maybe I don't like steam punk enough, or maybe I think it looks TOO much like Bioshock/Singularity visually, but it just seems to lack personality (there is a certain amount of Timesplitters vibe coming off it too). I get it, first person stealth action with super powers, but nothing about the way that seems to play out looks like something I'd enjoy. Like Hitman, minus the cool demeanor and devious sense of humor, is how I'd summarize it. Felt that way since I saw the E3 demo. Just...nah.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Tennmuerti

Deus Ex 'ian free form gameplay in a steampunkish setting with magic (aka Arcanum).

Sign me the fuck up!

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Miketakon

The sequel BioShock never got and GAME OF GAMES.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By BaneFireLord

I'll wait for reviews. It looks interesting, but Bethesda hasn't exactly had a great track record with their non-BGS games. Also, I've been burned by awesome PR with a shitty game attached before (Force Unleashed, I'm looking at you, asshole).

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By thatdudeguy

@Pezen: Regarding the possession mechanic, one of the more recent developer diaries described exactly the solution you want. The devs were surprised to see a tester walk a possessed enemy off a ledge and teleport into a pedestrian just before hitting the ground. They used it as an example of how polished the simulation was; anything that should be possible given the limits of each power is possible to pull off. I was impressed and will probably be picking this one up, reviews notwithstanding.

3ds24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By 3ds24

I a fan of the first two trailers and I have very high hopes for this game but I want epic dlc gosh one idea I had is zombie outbreak

Emilbus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Emilbus

http://games.on.net/2012/09/dishonored-interview-arkane-on-stealth-ai-player-choice-and-much-more/

Slightly worried after reading this article. Specifically towards the end where he mentions why there was abit of hand holding required telling where the players should go next. Hope they didn't dumb it down too much.

People would just walk around. They didn’t know what to do. They didn’t even go upstairs because a guard told them they couldn’t. They’d say “Okay, I can’t go upstairs.” They wouldn’t do anything.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#41  Edited By musubi

If you ask me seems like much ado about nothing. No interest here.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Lukeweizer

I haven't seen much on it at all, but I'll end up buying it because I'm a consumer whore.

Elfen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Elfen

This game reminds me of Bioshock meets Hitman. I am more excited about this game than I am of any other this year.

Elfen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Elfen

@Lukeweizer: Buy it from Best Buy. You get $20 back after pre-order purchase.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#45  Edited By Claude

It seems like it wants to be one of those great potential games but with missed opportunities. I hope I'm wrong. It seems grand on the outside, but the guts could be a mess.

CannonGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By CannonGoose

Reminds me so much of the first Deus Ex. That alone excites me a lot but I also really like the pace the game has, even when stealthing. The player character can really hoof it!

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MeierTheRed

Already pre-ordered it a long time ago. I think it will be great, or i hope it will be great. I have faith in the developers.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ShaggE

I'm excited, but expectations are firmly in check. This could be really, REALLY bad more easily than it could be good.

Worcanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Worcanna

I'll be honest in that the idea of a assassination game sounds kinda good about now but i'll also be honest in saying that im a bit worried of how little is shown really. The videos are very much only showing key things and what is shown at trade shows has been very little too so maybe it wont be good. We shall see.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

I've played the game and had a designer explain i to me. I honestly don't know to feel about it, I almost feel like it's missing something, despite having all these very interesting mechanics. maybe they're trying to do too much, after I played the demo I told the guy the developers must have gone through a lot of crap to make all this work, and that I hoped it's been worth it for their sake.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.