Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dishonored

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

After the Empress is killed, her most loyal bodyguard, Corvo, becomes the prime suspect, and must track down those who murdered his charge and betrayed him in order to enact his bloody revenge.

Is Blink supposed to be a teleport or an super fast dash/leap?

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By BBAlpert

Teleport: Character disappears, magically reappears moments later in a different spot.

Dash: Character moves so quickly that it looks like he's teleporting.

The end result is the same, but there are a few pretty important implications if it's supposed to be one or the other, all revolving around whether or not the character's body is actually passing through point B on his trip from A to C. For example, if there's a mine or tripwire between his starting and ending position, does he pass through or trigger it? Or if the starting and ending points are both hidden, but the path moves him out of cover and directly in enemy line of sight, do the guards notice something zip by?

The reason I'm asking is because when I played Mark of the Ninja, I had an unnecessary amount of difficulty getting past certain obstacles because I didn't realize that the "dash" move you can get later on actually lets you safely travel through lasers and enemy line of sight.

HHAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By HHAP

I think it might be "dash" because if you try to blink through an enemy, you will stop right in front of them. Never tried it myself but I remember hearing someone say that.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By fox01313

From what I remember of D&D it is s bit of both, if you go that route on the origin of this, teleport tended to be more of either where you could pick the destination and/or you had a longer distance where blink did tend to be the same teleport idea but something within a running jump distance. That and teleport tended to take more time while blink was more reflexive with a shorter time to it. Really depends on the game on how they want to do define it.

Avanzato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Avanzato

It's a dash, you will hit things in your path like trips mines etc, died a few times doing that.

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Crash_Happy

It's a line of sight teleport. It says it's a teleport in the manual.

Cyrus_Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cyrus_Saren

Doesn't it say it's a teleport in the game?

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BBAlpert

@Cyrus_Saren said:

I think it does, but if what people are saying about you setting off traps is true, then "teleport" is kind of a misleading name, the same way Mark of the Ninja's "dash" move would lead you to believe that you couldn't safely travel through tripwires, lasers, and scanners (which you totally could).

balrogsbain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By balrogsbain

I used it to get from one building to another where a guards path crossed and he saw me when I blinked so I guessed it was a dash

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Oldirtybearon

It's a dash. I've "teleported" into too many enemies and too many objects for it to be considered a proper teleport.

Cyrus_Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cyrus_Saren

@BBAlpert said:

@Cyrus_Saren said:

I think it does, but if what people are saying about you setting off traps is true, then "teleport" is kind of a misleading name, the same way Mark of the Ninja's "dash" move would lead you to believe that you couldn't safely travel through tripwires, lasers, and scanners (which you totally could).

That is true. I never tried using Blink to get through traps so I wasn't sure.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BBAlpert

I think I can say with some certainty that it's a dash of some kind, or at least that Corvo's body is physically travelling through space between his origin and his destination. It does happen quickly enough so that he can pass completely through a guard's line of sight without them realizing it, but I tried blinking through a wall of light and... well, don't try to blink through walls of light.

TheFreepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheFreepie

Yeah it's a dash, once you get blink rank two and try to blink a longer distance you can clearly see yourself moving at high speeds

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.