Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Divekick

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Aug 20, 2013

Rising to prominence through the American fighting game community, Divekick is an indie fighting game that distills the controls into two simple buttons, requiring clever strategy as players try to score the first hit with their divekick attack!

Divekick can make me so mad, and so, so happy.

xbob42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

So I'm doing okay at Divekick, I suck at most fighting games because, while I like them in concept, spending the time to learn big movesets for 300 billion characters is more time than I'm willing to commit to a game. That's why I had to have Divekick, the move list is simple, but the game was obviously, from watching Giant Bomb play it, very very deep. It had all the best parts (in my opinion) of a fighting game without all the extraneous bullshit. Pure and simple skill matchups.

That said, I think I'm doing okay in Divekick ranked, 40 wins, 40 losses, a 50% ratio, not the best, but considering that I literally lost every single Skullgirls (had the beta for Steam) match online so badly that I was only not perfected once, I'm quite proud of it.

Let me get into what I mean by the topic title, though: I was in it deep tonight, played a good 20 or so matches, going as they normally do, winning some, losing others (usually against people with nearly double my score) except near the end, I was on a 5-streak loss, the worst I've had so far. And most of it was due to one man: [EMP] Chicken or something like that. I'd choose Dive (Switched from Kick, Dive's height just seems way better than Kick's reach.) and he'd choose Mr. N and slaughter me. I was getting angry, but only with myself. He was playing great and knew exactly how to bait me.

Now, here's where Divekick's simplistic design shows its brilliance: From these matches, as someone who's played the game for a grand total of 3 days, I was able to see exactly what he was doing to me and after a few matches I came up with a remedy: The YOLO gem. He had the dive gem, so my extra jump height was no good, and he was a master flutter-man, so it was hard to get him into a situation where I could trap him or trick him. So I decided I was going to gain even more height. I equipped the YOLO gem and the effect was immediate: without his height advantage, he was dead meat. First round he went down in a split second, then in the second he tried to get sneaky so I built up meter.

Boy, let me tell you, Dive with a YOLO gem and a full meter is one crazy sumbitch. I choked him out in almost no time at all, I was basically jumping off of the screen and I'd kick to exactly where he was, no matter how far he was. It felt great. It felt like I had identified a problem and executed a solution. And that's so rare for me in fighting games. It made me feel like I was actually developing my skills and learning how to play far better than when I started, just a few days in.

In short, Divekick is amazing.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By DarthOrange

Hell yea a fellow Dive player! I have found that when fighting Mr. N's that use the Dive gem you should use the same strategy you would against a Dr. Shoals. When they jump way up or float go under them and kick them in the back as they come down. Also Dive with the YOLO gem is a boss!

No Caption Provided

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Do you have the Steam version? Because if yes, you should stfu and play it with me. Grumbellgast.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mosespippy

I've been pretty streaky so far. Lost 4, won 5, lost 7 (though one was a disconnect from a freeze as I got the winning blow), then a 9 of 11 run. I'm finally bringing it back to almost a 50% win rate. I even managed to beat that number 1 player on PSN, that Uncle Sensei player.

xbob42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I totally have the Steam version! I'm Xbob42.

I tried to take a screenshot, but the Steam overlay doesn't work in fullscreen apparently (nor does the resolution properly scale, just seems to stretch) and Win+Printscreen just got me a white image. If I had Fraps running I could've got one, cause I was giddy as hell. It made me so CONFIDENT.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.