Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Divekick

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Aug 20, 2013

Rising to prominence through the American fighting game community, Divekick is an indie fighting game that distills the controls into two simple buttons, requiring clever strategy as players try to score the first hit with their divekick attack!

How has your opinion of Divekick changed?

• 76 results
    Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll How has your opinion of Divekick changed? (379 votes)

I thought it was a joke/didn't know about it, but now I'm considering or going to buy it. 25%
    I thought it was a joke/didn't know about it, and nothing has changed that. No sell. 19%
    I wanted it from the start, and still do! 24%
    I now want to buy it AND a controller, assuming they or someone else releases one. 9%
    I was going to buy it, but now I'm going to wait and see. 2%
    I was going to buy it, but now I'm totally against it. (Please explain, as I can't understand this one.) 2%
    I'm trapped in the Lang Zone, send help! (joke option/show me the results). 20%

When I first heard of Divekick (before the Kickstarter, a friend explained that someone had made a prototype parody fighting game that people at EVO seemed to enjoy), I thought it was an amusing commentary on fighting games, but not much more. Now, after seeing all the work that Keits and Lang and the rest of the people at Iron Galaxy have put into it, I've gone from calling it a joke to seriously wanting both the game and a custom control to go with it.

It seems like such a fun party game, and yet it looks deep enough that if I wanted to actually get into it, I wouldn't be bored for a while. As a person that only plays a bit of SF4 and no other fighting games, it might be a good gateway to other, more complicated ones.

How has your opinion changed (if at all) about the game?

• 
    Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By EquitasInvictus
    jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Similar to Jeff, I think Divekick is the first fighting game that I can really get into.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Brilliant idea for a poll, good options too.

I'm definitely on-board for Divekick, looking forward to seeing this crazy story mode they've got planned.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By damswedon

I thought it was a joke, think it still is a joke, and will forever think it is a joke, but jesus christ I was sold on the stupid thing from the first time I heard of it

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle: Thanks! I figured if my opinion had changed so radically, most people on GB must of had enough exposure to either form an opinion of their own, or to change a pre-existing one like mine.

The story mode is going to be nuts; I really like the humor they are using, and I can imagine that translating well into a crazy plot of some kind.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I was on board since I first heard about it and I'm glad people are starting to realize this game isn't just a dumb joke.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Divekick is the kind of stupid joke taken too far that I can get behind, and I was behind it even before it apparently became a very deep and intricate esport.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I BELIEVE I CAN DIIIIVE I BELIEVE I CAN TOUCH THE SKY

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I've been on board since the beginning:

Loading Video...

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

It looks incredible. Always has.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

On board from the moment I saw it.

6n00bkilla9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i have always wanted this i just hate that i have to wait. i am stuck in the lang zone.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Strife777

I've been interested from the get-go. It's so dumb and amazing. I watched the streams Iron Galaxy has done in the last 2 or 3 weeks where they revealed some new characters, and there seems to be some good diversity, even considering the limited move set. I would probably get a controller too, if it's not too expensive.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

It reminds me of a simpler time when games were crazy enough to work.

I'm really happy that something like this exists.

Duecenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was a joke, still half kind of do, but that what I love about it. The best ideas are born out of shits and giggles!

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm interested, but this seems like a game that would be the most fun with a group of friends, and it's not easy to get a group of friends together to play a game like this.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanted it from the start, but ow I might play it for longer than I thought I would.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ajamafalous

Am I missing it, or are you missing the "I knew about it from the start but had no interest in buying it" option?

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was aware of the original trailer from (I think) before last year's Evo and knew that it had gained some unexpected "legitimacy" so it's kind of neat that it's become a real boy. I probably won't buy it because I can't see myself playing it much but it seems okay.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

#20  Edited By Slag

Am I missing it, or are you missing the "I knew about it from the start but had no interest in buying it" option?

I didn't see it either. That's what I would pick as well.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By envane

no option for , im going to buy it but i still think its a complete joke and would pirate it in a heartbeat if it just meant stealing money from dave lang .. but i dont wanna do that to keits.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mirado

@ajamafalous: @slag: That's option two. I sort of combined the ideas of "you knew and thought it was a joke and still do, so no sell" and "you didn't know, but now that you do it's no sell" in order to keep it from being a page of options, since the end result is the same. I was more interest in a sell/no sell break down than anything, otherwise it'd look like:

• You didn't know but now you wouldn't buy.
    • You knew but don't think it's a joke but you aren't interested anyway so no sell.
    • You knew and think its a joke but....

...and so on. It's not exhaustive, so just pick the best fit for you. :D

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i've heard ultradavid talk about how deep it is for like a year but so far most of its appeal (from my perspective) is that its like an FGC inside joke.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Fearbeard

Sounds like a fun party game, but since I play most of my games alone I don't see any reason to pick it up.

Edit: Also why does everyone put a joke option in the poll. It completely skews the results.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fearbeard: The joke option serves for people who have no opinion and just want to see results. It actually prevents skewed results, since if it wasn't there people would just choose an answer at random to see the results.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fearbeard: It doesn't though, as they give you a percentage for each option. If 100 people vote, even if 90 pick the joke option, you still know how many voted for the real ones.

I throw it in so if you honestly have no opinion, rather than actually skewing the results by choosing a real option, you can just pick that if you want to see what other people have voted. I'd rather dump those votes into a joke option than have them vote "Never!" and make it seem like a significant portion of voters are anti-Divekick.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

@mirado: well 2 is what I did pick.

no grudge against the game, just I dunno seems boring to me.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

It looked stupid enough for me to greenlight on Steam. Playing it at PAX East sealed the deal.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looked like a joke when it was a kickstarter game, but after seeing it on here and especially hearing that there is a story mode with cutscenes for the game, im totally down

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been saying "take my money" since UFGT 8, gave money towards the canceled kickstarter, already put in my vote on greenlight, and spent 6 hours of my three days at PAX at the Divekick booth.

I want this game inside of me.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I look forward to getting me and all my friends drunk and playing this game.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its still a joke to me, but one that i would pay like, very little money to get.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By InternetDotCom

I loved it from the first time I heard it, then realized it was even more amazing when I played it at Pax East.

Dive Kick is the one true video game. It is the video game we need. It shall unite us all.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

I always thought it was a great joke and a boring looking game, I haven't played it yet though so I hold judgement till it comes out.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#35  Edited By DarthOrange

I was going to buy it, but then I found out Dave Lang is working on the game and I fucking hate that guy so FUCK THIS GAME!!!

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I've been on board from pretty much the start, enough that I would buy extra copies for my friends if I needed to, just not enough that I would invest in those controllers. Not that they wouldn't be cool to have, but their limited use and, I can only assume, prohibitive price makes it a no sell.

Still, hella stoked about the game.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thought it was a joke, realize it's not, still think it's not gonna be much more than a novelty.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#38  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

This is going to sound kind of nitpicky, but I think hearing "Divekick" every couple of minutes would drive me nuts after a while. I like the goofy concept and characters, but I think it'd be one of those games I played for an hour and then never touch again, unfortunately. I need something just a bit more than jumping and kicking from my games to keep my attention span for longer than a few minutes. And yes, I get that it's basically a timing/psychology game with a lot more depth than I'm giving it credit for, but it still just doesn't seem like the sort of game for me.

Avatar image for thelegendofmart
    TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks crap and I'm sick of seeing Dave Lang in GB videos.

Avatar image for tournamentofhate
    TournamentOfHate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

It's been all Divekick for me since PAX, watching the tournament streams, the character reveal streams. I've never been into a fighting game like this, or any other game before it's come out. Plans for an arcade room reserved solely for Divekick are already in motion at my place.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By audiosnow

None of the above. I thought it was a joke, but now that I've heard about it from fighting game people, it sounds like a great concept. But I still have no interest in fighting games in any form.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I played it at EVO but it was barely due to how many people were there trying to play it. I need to try more of it.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Mirado

@tournamentofhate: Holy shit, that's the best idea. I need to make a Divekick arcade cabinet. Maybe a cocktail cabinet? (EDIT: Wait, how would that work? Never mind, I'll figure it out.) I think a normal one would give you that classic feel, but cocktail cabinet just seems so great for cash games...I need to start clearing space.

Delusions aside, I feel the same way about the game. I've only really dabbled in SF4 (and SF2 but I was like 8 when that came out) and never could really get into a fighting game...or even could bring myself to care about one. But for some reason, this thing has me hooked. I really feel like I can "seriously" play this game, whatever that means in the context of a two button mind-game fighter.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mirado said:

@tournamentofhate: Holy shit, that's the best idea. I need to make a Divekick arcade cabinet. Maybe a cocktail cabinet? (EDIT: Wait, how would that work? Never mind, I'll figure it out.) I think a normal one would give you that classic feel, but cocktail cabinet just seems so great for cash games...I need to start clearing space.

I recommend using Japanese sitdown style custom cabs for fighters honestly. If you are curious, there is a guy named Kray that sells some legit DIY cabs inspired by Taito's Vewlix. Since it only supplies the core cabinet parts, TV hooking up and other tech related tasks are simplified.

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By h0lgr

At first I thought it looked silly, not enough variety but after seeing them release a bunch of different characters, it's actually starting to look interesting.
    Also, I am trapped in the Lang Zone permanently.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thephantomnaut: You are the best. I mean, my wallet hates you, but you are the best!

I'm in the process of moving, but if I can find enough room in my new place, I just might fucking do it. Thanks for the heads up.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At first my impression was "Hey, that's a cool and funny idea."

Now, after careful consideration and research, I'm kind of leaning towards "Hey, that's a cool and funny idea."

By the time it releases, I'm sure my feelings will have landed squarely in the "Hey, that's a cool and funny idea." side.

Freezer_Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I first heard of it I thought it was stupid/awesome/hilarious, but had no real interest in buying it. But now the more I've seen of it, I'm totally going to buy it.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

@mirado said:

@thephantomnaut: You are the best. I mean, my wallet hates you, but you are the best!

I'm in the process of moving, but if I can find enough room in my new place, I just might fucking do it. Thanks for the heads up.

No prob dude. In case you need the parts or even controllers to work from the cabinet's control panel in the process, check this site and this custom controller board.

I was trying to find more affordable yet really good looking DIY cabs but I can only find stuff on Kray from Shoryuken forums. Working on existing cabinets made for arcade games might be considered a nightmare especially if you want to use a console to begin with as it requires unusual wiring and independent technology. Newer commercial cabinets from companies like Taito and Sega are somewhat simplified due to same video inputs and easier modding but the problem is that they cost TOO DAMN HIGH for one because you have to consider shipping, customs, etc.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I knew about it but hadn't paid any attention to it at all, but with the game's appearance at PAX I've been very impressed with coverage of it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.