Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Divekick

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Aug 20, 2013

Rising to prominence through the American fighting game community, Divekick is an indie fighting game that distills the controls into two simple buttons, requiring clever strategy as players try to score the first hit with their divekick attack!

My problem with the ranking system.

tkalsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

First of all, I want to point out that I love this game so I'm not just hating for the sake of hating.

If you win a ranked match, you gain points and if you beat a player with a higher rank than you, you get more points. The problem is when your in the higher ranks, like 3 or 4 hundred. There aren't very many people that high rank so you get matched up with whoever you can connect to. Most of the players that you get matched up with are below 100 and you have to play them most of the games. If you win, you get 5 or so points and if you lose, you lose 40 or 50 points.

Multiple times tonight, I have won 8 games in a row, gaining about 40 rank and then losing my 9th that shits on all of my progress. I wish that you could set an option to be only matched against people in a certain ranking range.

I'm sure it's not fun for a low rank to be stomped by a higher rank over and over again so the ranking setting would help both ends of the spectrum.

Is anyone else having this problem?

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Don't you get matched up with the rank closest to yours out of the ones available online? Maybe you've hit the ceiling and are now just orbiting around that number.

BTW, is the online pretty populated?

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By DystopiaX

@tkalsey said:

First of all, I want to point out that I love this game so I'm not just hating for the sake of hating.

If you win a ranked match, you gain points and if you beat a player with a higher rank than you, you get more points. The problem is when your in the higher ranks, like 3 or 4 hundred. There aren't very many people that high rank so you get matched up with whoever you can connect to. Most of the players that you get matched up with are below 100 and you have to play them most of the games. If you win, you get 5 or so points and if you lose, you lose 40 or 50 points.

Multiple times tonight, I have won 8 games in a row, gaining about 40 rank and then losing my 9th that shits on all of my progress. I wish that you could set an option to be only matched against people in a certain ranking range.

I'm sure it's not fun for a low rank to be stomped by a higher rank over and over again so the ranking setting would help both ends of the spectrum.

Is anyone else having this problem?

That's how a ranking system works. If the dude has around 100 or so points and you have 4-500, then you should theoretically be a lot better than him, and it should be trivial for you to beat him. You shouldn't get a lot of points for beating someone who is supposedly a lot worse than you. But if you lose to them, you lost to someone who is theoretically a lot worse than you, so the mm system docks you a ton of points to lower your rank closer to where it "should" be. The problem is is that it's possible to get to 100 points in only a few matches, so someone with 100 points may actually be really good but just hasn't played a lot of ranked matches yet. It's a problem inherent to the system and should sort itself out as new players play more matches and there are fewer really new players just starting the game.

As for why you're getting matched up with low ranks all the time- no idea what the really high points are like but if you're really up there then it's possible that there's no one searching for matches around your skill level, so rather than have you hang around in game lobbies indefinitely it's matching you up with a person whose closest to you in rank; it just turns out that that person is far, far lower than you.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By e30bmw

Not to derail this but I didn't figure out the difference between PR and CR and never really figured out how they worked. I've only played like 25 games online though.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@e30bmw said:

Not to derail this but I didn't figure out the difference between PR and CR and never really figured out how they worked. I've only played like 25 games online though.

If it's anything like Street Fighter 4's system, one of them is your Player Rank and the other is your Character Rank. Player Rank is for your overall rank and Character Rank is done for individual characters.

tkalsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

@thunderslash: there are a lot of people playing. it's like 10 seconds of waiting between matches.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.