Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Divinity II: Ego Draconis

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 29, 2009

Divinity 2 is a sequel to the action roleplaying games Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity, with a new 3D engine replacing the previous isometric 2D engine.

Has anybody bought the game?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Jeust

Has anyone done it? What do you think of it?

I was thinking of getting it, but i'm a bit unsure if it is worthwhile...

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By oldschool

No, but I am interested to hear something as well.  The reviews are averaging 74, so as RPGs are concerned, it certainly is on my list. 

Best review: 

Eurogamer Spain

Divinity II is a very solid game, and all that Gothic 3 should have been.

Worst review: 

Cheat Code Central

There is plenty to do in Divinity II, and if you don't mind putting up with the poor visuals or combat, there are plenty of side-quests to take on to extend your experience. 

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#3  Edited By Savage

It's an old-school computer RPG made by Belgians--this is not a mainstream, big budget title from the likes of Bethesda or BioWare.  This is a niche title that some players will like a lot, and more will probably not care for.   It's also moderately buggy on the PC, and very buggy on the 360, so beware of that.

There's a demo out and Giant Bomb's quicklook for you to get a good look at what the game is like.  The demo especially does a solid job of letting you get a feel for the game.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ZenaxPure

The quicklook here on the site the GB guys did is pretty much exactly what you will see the entire thing I imagine. Like Savage says there is a demo up for it you can download which I actually played for an hour or so and still never managed to "beat" it. I can't really explain my thoughts on it perfectly but I for some reason could not stop playing the demo despite hating almost everything about the game... So weird.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By xyzygy
    @Zenaxzd said:
    " The quicklook here on the site the GB guys did is pretty much exactly what you will see the entire thing I imagine. Like Savage says there is a demo up for it you can download which I actually played for an hour or so and still never managed to "beat" it. I can't really explain my thoughts on it perfectly but I for some reason could not stop playing the demo despite hating almost everything about the game... So weird. "
    That quicklook was extremely biased and negative, they basically pointed out everything bad about the game in the short time they played. It was probably one of the worst quick looks I've seen. Quick looks are meant to give unbiased opinions of the game as if you were just starting it out with no preconceived notions, to see if you would like it apart from reviews... not the garbage that the Divinity 2 quick look was. If I remember correctly, they were talking about why this was called Divinity 2 instead of 3 because there was Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity. Someone else pointed out that the second one wasn't that good, and that the next Divinity game that comes should be called Divinity 2 again. I just think that was a jackass thing to say in a quicklook.

The game is great, I've played it for a bit at a friends on his 360 and I plan on getting it soon. By a bit I mean around 4 hours :P
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JJOR64

At least 49 players have played the 360 version here on Giant Bomb.  That's what the achievements page says.

ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By ColinWright
    @xyzygy: Its called opinions. :)
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @wh4tshisface:  Pretty much, I am sure he knows though.  

@xyzygy:  I am not even talking about their comments in the video, the gameplay itself is basically the exact same stuff I encountered in the demo, and as far as I could tell I was playing an entirely different portion of the game than them. The only thing I did that I saw in the QL was saving that guy on the tower from the goblins.I am not saying the game is bad and no one should ever touch it or anything like that but the QL + the time I spent with the demo I can't see the rest of the game changing much from that.
    HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HaltIamReptar
    @xyzygy said:
    " @Zenaxzd said:
    " The quicklook here on the site the GB guys did is pretty much exactly what you will see the entire thing I imagine. Like Savage says there is a demo up for it you can download which I actually played for an hour or so and still never managed to "beat" it. I can't really explain my thoughts on it perfectly but I for some reason could not stop playing the demo despite hating almost everything about the game... So weird. "
    That quicklook was extremely biased and negative, they basically pointed out everything bad about the game in the short time they played. It was probably one of the worst quick looks I've seen. Quick looks are meant to give unbiased opinions of the game as if you were just starting it out with no preconceived notions, to see if you would like it apart from reviews... not the garbage that the Divinity 2 quick look was. If I remember correctly, they were talking about why this was called Divinity 2 instead of 3 because there was Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity. Someone else pointed out that the second one wasn't that good, and that the next Divinity game that comes should be called Divinity 2 again. I just think that was a jackass thing to say in a quicklook.  The game is great, I've played it for a bit at a friends on his 360 and I plan on getting it soon. By a bit I mean around 4 hours :P "
    Unbiased opinions?

What.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xyzygy
    @wh4tshisface said:

" @xyzygy: Its called opinions. :) "

Quick looks are supposed to give a "quick look" into the game, to give the users an unbiased and clean-slate idea of what the game will be like. Most other quick looks for far worse games haven't been so judgmental at all. It just seemed very unnecessary, and the opinion thing doesn't really cut it on that video. It just seemed like they were going out of their way to find the bad things and make them disproportionate to the rest.
    HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HaltIamReptar
    @xyzygy: You're telling the crew how what they produce is supposed to be?  I agree with the sentiment, but that's just pretty silly.

"Hey guys, this awesome thing that you do for me for free?  Stop doing it wrong.  This is how it's done"
    ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By ColinWright
    @xyzygy: Yeah, but i would want them to say just how crappy a game is. Which i am not saying Divinity 2 is crappy, as i have never played it. And dude, there is nothing in this world that is unbiased.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xyzygy
    @HaltIamReptar: You took that the wrong way, and no I'm not telling anyone how to do anything. I'm talking about semantics and what the term "Quick Look" means. "Quick Look" should not mean "Nitpick".
    risseless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By risseless

I bought Divinity 2 and am playing it right now. So far it's pretty entertaining and I am enjoying my time with it. But as others said, it's an old school RPG from a small company, so don't expect it to be to DragonAge or Oblivion quality. Definitely worth the money for me so far though, even though it does have its quirks.

And for my 2 cents, that quicklook was terrible. I personally prefer quicklooks to be showing the game, not pre-reviewing it. They had obviously decided they didn't like it before they started the video. And what was the point of bringing in some guy that worked on the engine but had nothing to do with the game? It's their site obviously and can do quickoooks however they want, but if they don't intended to be objective about it, I'm not sure what the point is. I thought it was to give an unopinionated look at the game, but I guess not. Seems it's more of an informal/unofficial review. And I say this about all quicklooks, not just Divinity 2. Anyway, I guess I'll continue to watch them on mute so I don't have to deal with it. Seems a shame, though.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By EpicSteve
    @xyzygy said:

" @Zenaxzd said:

That quicklook was extremely biased and negative, they basically pointed out everything bad about the game in the short time they played. It was probably one of the worst quick looks I've seen. Quick looks are meant to give unbiased opinions of the game as if you were just starting it out with no preconceived notions, to see if you would like it apart from reviews... not the garbage that the Divinity 2 quick look was. If I remember correctly, they were talking about why this was called Divinity 2 instead of 3 because there was Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity. Someone else pointed out that the second one wasn't that good, and that the next Divinity game that comes should be called Divinity 2 again. I just think that was a jackass thing to say in a quicklook.  The game is great, I've played it for a bit at a friends on his 360 and I plan on getting it soon. By a bit I mean around 4 hours :P "
    ZOMG GIANTBOMBZ IS TEH BIASSED! H0w DARE THYH HAVE N OPINIONSZZ!!!111 ITS NOT likkkee I com HERE FOR PROFFESIONALL OIPNIONS!!!!!!1111

In all seriousness, why would you not want some opinions while they're playing. It would be pretty awkward for them to play in silence. Now you know your opinions are different than those who participated in the QL. I thought all their nitpicks were justified based on the footage that was presented to me. 
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Geno

For what it's worth, I heard the PC version was signficantly better than the 360 version.
    risseless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By risseless
    @EpicSteve said:

In all seriousness, why would you not want some opinions while they're playing. It would be pretty awkward for them to play in silence.

Opinions are one thing, but deciding beforehand that you don't like the game then having the entire quicklook be just ragging on it doesn't do their viewers much of a service. That seems to be what happened in this quicklook and I've seen it in others as well. That pretty much makes quicklooks useless for getting a view of the game before I buy it, which is what I thought their purpose was to some degree. I don't need GiantBomb to tell me if I should buy a game (or to tell me to play Dragon Age instead -- already played it, thanks), but if they get it early I'd love to see some gameplay ahead of time. That's what I thought the intent of a quicklook was, you know, a "quick look", not a review. Perhaps I was wrong.

Anyway, this horse is long dead. I'm enjoying the game, so apparently Dave and I differ in our opinions on RPGs. I'll keep that in mind the next time he does a quicklook.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By EpicSteve
    @risseless said:

" @EpicSteve said:

In all seriousness, why would you not want some opinions while they're playing. It would be pretty awkward for them to play in silence.

Opinions are one thing, but deciding beforehand that you don't like the game then having the entire quicklook be just ragging on it doesn't do their viewers much of a service. That seems to be what happened in this quicklook and I've seen it in others as well. That pretty much makes quicklooks useless for getting a view of the game before I buy it, which is what I thought their purpose was to some degree. I don't need GiantBomb to tell me if I should buy a game (or to tell me to play Dragon Age instead -- already played it, thanks), but if they get it early I'd love to see some gameplay ahead of time. That's what I thought the intent of a quicklook was, you know, a "quick look", not a review. Perhaps I was wrong.  Anyway, this horse is long dead. I'm enjoying the game, so apparently Dave and I differ in our opinions on RPGs. I'll keep that in mind the next time he does a quicklook. "
    I'm glad they offer feed back, it's deterred me from purchasing some games while convincing me to buy others. If this issue is really bugging you, then feel free to email the staff. Perhaps you should consider making another thread asking the communities impute. Be warned that you're probably in the minority. Or...you could just turn off the volume.
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By rallier

I liked the Ergo Draconis quicklook. Dave clocked a fair number of hours in the game and was able to discuss what was going on in the game and how thing work (unlike a lot of the other quicklooks that mostly are a bunch of uninformed comments). I suppose that opinions can vary about the game itself though.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ShaunassNZ
    @JJOR64 said:
    " At least 49 players have played the 360 version here on Giant Bomb.  That's what the achievements page says. "
    That's users that have linked there XBL account and some won't have theres online, and others have on PC.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By JJOR64
    @ShaunassNZ said:
    " @JJOR64 said:
    " At least 49 players have played the 360 version here on Giant Bomb.  That's what the achievements page says. "
    That's users that have linked there XBL account and some won't have theres online, and others have on PC. "
    That's why I said at least 49.  I figured there were probably more people who bought the game.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xyzygy
    @risseless said:
    " @EpicSteve said:

Opinions are one thing, but deciding beforehand that you don't like the game then having the entire quicklook be just ragging on it doesn't do their viewers much of a service. That seems to be what happened in this quicklook and I've seen it in others as well. That pretty much makes quicklooks useless for getting a view of the game before I buy it, which is what I thought their purpose was to some degree. I don't need GiantBomb to tell me if I should buy a game (or to tell me to play Dragon Age instead -- already played it, thanks), but if they get it early I'd love to see some gameplay ahead of time. That's what I thought the intent of a quicklook was, you know, a "quick look", not a review. Perhaps I was wrong.  Anyway, this horse is long dead. I'm enjoying the game, so apparently Dave and I differ in our opinions on RPGs. I'll keep that in mind the next time he does a quicklook. "
    This is exactly what I was trying to get across in my posts... thank you sir. That other guy just took it wrong as if I was complaining. It just seemed like when the Quick Look started, they were already making fun of the game.
    Krixok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Krixok

Krixok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Krixok

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By jakob187

I was going to buy it until my friend played it.  When my friend tells me "avoid it like the plague", then I avoid it like the plague.  We both enjoyed Sacred 2...so long as it was on consoles...and we're both fans of the first Divinity.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.