Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Divinity: Original Sin II

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Sep 14, 2017

The sequel to Larian Studios' turn-based strategic role-playing game.

Is there any reason to play Divinity: OS 1 before this one?

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

I passed over the first game when it came out and haven't really given it much thought since. Now that I am hearing such good things about the sequel, is there any reason why I should play Divinity: Original Sin instead of or before this one?

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

There's no story reason, no. I'd suggest you play DOS 2 first, and if you really like it go back to DOS 1 some day with the knowledge that the combat is similar but the writing is significantly worse.

Bfinstad86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. The story is pretty much nonsense in DOS 1 and there aren't very many memorable characters. The combat is fantastic but if you play DOS 2 first, it may feel a bit stale. Also, the UI in DOS 2 is infinitely better than the original. This is a classic case of "More, but better." If DOS 1 goes on sale, have at it. It was a really enjoyable CRPG despite its flaws and limited budget. Now that they got the cash they needed to make their true vision, it really shines brighter than it ever did before. Using terms like "Instant Classic" is usually such bullshit, but in this case, it may be true.

unknownczar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By unknownczar

I remembered I never finished it (I got like 1/2 or 2/3 of the way through before I lost interest) so I decided to start a new game in DOS1 before I got into the sequel... Between technical issues that I guess are due to it being old and not 100% compatible with windows 10, and the non existent story (it's a series of random generic fantasy plot-lines loosely tied together by a "end of the world" cliche, with no memorable characters) slowly coming back to me... it really hasn't aged well. Overall it's just been really glichy, crashy, and honestly not that interesting. There were some good gags in it though, and the combat is as challenging as I remember, but there's not enough worthwhile to make up for the rest of it. I am curious to try out the new one though.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was also wondering about this. I played about 3 hours of the first game but just forgot about it after I started playing new things. This is good to hear.

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By MattGiersoni

TL;DR: Play DOS1 if you beat and end up loving DOS2.

I'd say go into DOS2 but if you finish DOS2 and end up liking it, go back and play DOS1. DOS2 has a lot more serious tone with a bit of humor while DOS1 has more humor. Writing is much better in DOS2 and there's even a character companion written by Chris Avellon. Is there a reason to play DOS1? Hell yeah, it's a damn good game, one of the best rpgs in the last few years, but DOS2 is even better. Story wise there are references to lore here and there but the overall narrative is not connected at all so you're good.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Not. At. All. I was addicted to OS1 and it's one of my favorite games, but that main story really is summed up best as "nonsense." Almost all of the side quests' narratives were better than it. And there's no mechanics you're going to be missing out on.

Jump right into OS2 and have yourself some fun!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How long does it take to start really liking the first? I got to a pub area in the first multiple times and wanted to fall asleep. To me, the beginning (for about three to five hours) is a pretty boring.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Honestly? Probably not. The first Original Sin is quite good, but you're fine just moving on to the second game.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Tennmuerti

@ntm said:

How long does it take to start really liking the first? I got to a pub area in the first multiple times and wanted to fall asleep. To me, the beginning (for about three to five hours) is a pretty boring.

That was by far and away the strongest and most dense part of the game, both narratively and mechanically. So if you are not digging that first area, it is only downhill from there not up.

younggryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm playing the first one now since it was on sale for $12 last week on Psn. I really dig it! I'll definitely get the sequel since it's supposed to be an improvement but I'll wait til I finish this one. It really reminds me of playing tabletop dnd with my nerdy friends in high school LOL.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.