Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Divinity: Original Sin

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jun 30, 2014

Divinity: Original Sin is a top-down turn-based RPG developed by Larian Studios. It introduces new elements to the franchise, such as co-op gameplay and decision-making as well as a more interactive world.

People keep saying this is great, but is the story good?

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By development

The art style and story seem super generic and uninteresting. Especially talk of "source." Eugh.

Does the story get good? I love these kinds of games, but can't justify the cost if I hate the backbone of the game. Is the dialog at least good? That must be it, right? Why else would it get so much praise?

edit: Site did weird things. This is supposed to be in the Divinity: Original Sin forums.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Eh, you're better off skipping it and going straight to General Discussion 2 imo.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Did you mean to put this in General Discussion? As it is, you haven't actually mentioned what you're talking about.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, it told me the title was too long; then it refreshed. Didn't notice it removed the forum selection. Blame Alexis.

Divinity: Original Sin is what this is supposed to be!

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I really enjoyed what I played of it. Probably played about 15-20 hours (but then Video Games started happening again. I'll get back to it soon). The story certainly isn't great, but I don't think it's bad either. I found the combat to be a ton of fun once I figured out all the ways the skills interact with each other.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

If you dislike the core of the game (turn-based strategy, clicking on things in the environment), than steer clear. The story is fine, and I thought the dialogue was decent, but it is not the reason to play this game.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By development

Hmm... I'll be waiting for the Christmas sale, then. I'll definitely pay 20 bucks for this, when it gets there, but not 40 if the story is shit (in my opinion... I assume).

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@development: Why did you bother asking if you've already made up your mind that the story is shit?

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By development

@hunkulese: I didn't make up my mind. I suspected it wasn't good, so I asked for clarification. Others said it wasn't so great. I take that and am left assuming it's shit since I think I dislike the tone of it more than others here might. "Meh" for them probably equals "shit" for me.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Find your topic a wee bit bewildering. Since when is praise always justified? People like this game for many reasons, including the exact same things you don't like, so you're creating a weird, circular argument right from the get go.

If you're more open minded than your OP leads on, I would say one truly novel feature for fans of dialogue driven games is that both your main characters are active paticipants in the dialogue, and the way you can split them up (both physically and on topics) is interesting as well. Another interesting gameplay element is how magic figures into the mechanics both in and out of battle. An example you see in the quick look is casting Rain to quell a fire on the docks. You also have the ability to move objects around (crates, etc), which opens up many tactical options.

So, I dunno. That's off the top of my head. For me it was a 7/10 or so. Love the concepts, love the genre, thought the game was good, not great. For you? Try it on sale?

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: I don't get what's so hard to understand. I have seen a bit of the game and the story looked generic. Wanted to know if it gets better. Got my answer.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Tennmuerti

Actually I would not say it's great at all. Passable at best.

It makes a great initial impression to an RPG nerd like myself that's for sure. Especially with that first town. But as the game goes on, the initial complexity is never built upon, the quests become less engaging, character progression grinds to a halt of a desert, and the story quickly becomes generic and boring, it basically gets worse as the game goes on, in the end I just did not care. Combat wise I was repeating the same tactics over and over, not getting any significant new skills for more then half the game, rolling over everything, the elemental interactions are cool at first but you repeat so many combat encounters it all just gets boiled down to a few set of combos you do over rand over. Normally a good rpg will ramp things up as it goes along both in terms of story and combat, Divinity:OS doesn't. The dialogue since you asked is pedestrian in general.

Frankly i could not bring myself to finish it, i was in what was the last town about 3/4 or more done with the game and just eventually lost all will to keep going, as neither the story nor the combat was interesting anymore.

That's just imo. /shrug

Memu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Memu

I hear that a lot in general when people talk about games, "It doesn't have a good story." What does that mean? Is it not subjective? Do you have to be personally driven to tears to consider it a good story?

Many times I have noticed those at GB saying this when they obviously didn't even take the time to pay attention to the story. I realize it is their jobs to get through a lot of games quickly, so not blaming them for that. But I do blame them for jumping on the bandwagon.

The story in Divinity: OS was adequate to drive the action forward. It never made me laugh or cry. But I was interested in what was going on the entire way through. And it was consistent and made sense in the end. For me, that is a good story because so many game stories fail at even that.

Divinity: OS is at this moment my Game of the Year with quite a large lead. No other game captured my attention as much this year. I have 120 hours on it. The sound when you fire off a powerful magic spell is yummy perfect.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's a decent story that's ruined by bad dialogue that's constantly trying to be funny and failing at it.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a few hours into this, and story isn't the reason I want to continue. The idea of playing two characters at once could have been super ambitious and interesting roleplay-wise, but its kinda of underutilized. It's still fun though.

You might want to check out Divinity 2, instead. It's more of an action-RPG, but there's some pretty clever dialogue in that one.

VioleGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By VioleGrace

The game is amazing, the story is good, but it isn't the main selling point in this game.

What really is amazing about it is the battle system and the role playing, facing different kind of enemies, deciding what's the right move to make, the extremely fun boss battles, the fun dialogues, and tons more...

Once you get into divinity original sin, you won't be able to stop playing.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I think the plot, story, characters, world of this game are actually quite bad and that's a major flaw to it. The combat is great though.

I played quite a bit of it but didn't continue because of that issue. There are a lot of great things about the game but missing out on those with an RPG doesn't fly for me.

@yinstarrunner said:

The idea of playing two characters at once could have been super ambitious and interesting roleplay-wise, but its kinda of underutilized.

I was also prepared for this to be a huge part of the game but it wasn't. In its brief flashes it's a really amazing idea.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.