Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DmC Devil May Cry

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 15, 2013

DmC Devil May Cry is a reboot of the series from developer Ninja Theory, featuring a redesigned Dante and a new take on the franchise's fiction.

Anyone worried about the gameplay?

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By killroycantkill

Right off the bat I have to say I love the new style and the hipster-esq of Dante. I figured he would have been a hipster in his younger days based on the DMC3 Dante. But I am particularly worried about the gameplay.

Ninja Theory's last released game was Heavenly Sword and I can say the combat in that game was sub-par at best. Nothing really special about it. DMC is known for having over the top combos, weapon switching, all the good stuff. Do you think that Ninja Theory will be able to pull it off? I want to give them the benefit of the doubt but then I just remember the hat boxes from Heavenly Sword.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By valrog

Gameplay looks alright to me. It's the Dante that worries me.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Axersia

I could've lived with his new look had there at least be some guarantee of good gameplay, but Heavenly Sword is quite possibly the worst hack 'n' slash game I've ever played. I can still remember way back when GameSpot had Ninja Theory come over to demo the game, and all they could talk about was how beautifully animated whatshername's hair was. It was then and there that I knew Heavenly Sword wouldn't be for me, because Ninja Theory's vision of a good hack 'n' slash game is obviously very different from my own.

This is what DmC's director Tameem Antoniades had to say about the game, for example:

"We're taking a younger Dante that incorporates the youth culture of today, from fashion to music to street art, etc."

Yeah, I really don't give a shit -- how about you start talking about the actual game mechanics?

I can tell you right now, if DmC does not feature lock-on based Street Fighter-inspired combat, and requires me to use the right analog stick to dodge, I'll not even bother downloading the demo.

StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By StressedOutCat

Why does Dante look like one of the characters from a Twilight Movie?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JJOR64

Just watched the new trailer.  Dante looks like some emo.  :/  As for gameplay, it probably will be solid.  I'm really excited to see a reboot for Devil May Cry, just his new look is dumb.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ThePickle

Not the gameplay, but Dante. He looks totally different and much lamer. It better be some impostor or something. 

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By VicRattlehead
    @Axersia:  the funny thing is the director looks exactly like the new dante... :| somthing all kinds of shady about that

anyway snow on unity said there intention isnt to alienate fans of the old dmc series in anyway and too wait for more media before jumping on the hate train
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

No, the gameplay will be fine unless the go DMC 2 on it.  I just hope it's a 17 year old Dante who grays out at the end of the game and quits smoking in a cheesy ass cutscene.

Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By Rxanadu

The only thing I can say about the look of the game is, "Why wasn't this 'Twilight?'  I would have watched that, at least."  Also, "Edmund is now a demon?!"

Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By Rxanadu
    @HandsomeDevil:  The twist is this is just Nero before the demon arm incident.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#12  Edited By Icemael

Definitely. Western developers making complex, nuanced beat 'em up combat? Yeah, and pigs can fly.

Then again, Duke Nukem Forever is coming out, so I guess anything's possible.

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By markini6

I realize this is a ridiculous thing to say as it was a CG trailer, but I can't help but feel that the combat looked a little slow.

cmglassmire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By cmglassmire

heavenly sword wasnt good, dante looks like he just walked off the set of 21 jump street. am disappointed. 

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bionicicide

I just hated the little girl levels in Heavenly Sword, with her crossbow.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By RVonE

PlatinumGames should make the new DMC. I like Ninja Theory, but I don't think they should handle DMC. Unfortunately, there's nothing stopping that from happening at the moment.
    Avatar image for thecappuccinobandit
    TheCappuccinoBandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I hope they try something new with the gameplay. I'm bored with the old DMC games now.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By phantomzxro

First off i would say I hate the new style just not a DMC game to me. But aside from that i could say l'm also worried about the gameplay. For one ninja theory are great at mocap stuff but the combat of the games feel more in line with god of war. Also judging by the trailer he seems to move much slower and also shoots much slower which is leading me to believe it will play more in line with a god of war type game which is a dealbreaker for me.
    ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ThePickle
    @Rxanadu: Nero had white hair too. I debunk your theory. 
    gabha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By gabha

I'm the complete opposite from the OP, I have faith that the gameplay will turn out better than DMC4 but I absolutly hate the new look.

Avatar image for ultimatepunchrod
    ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By ultimatepunchrod

the new look is cool. there is no real way to judge the combat obviously, but i really enjoyed heavenly sword's combat. that game was a lot of fun and enslaved is looking to be a really good one as well. if you look at the part of the trailer where dante grabs the car with his weapon right before he grabs the car, the thing in his hand changes. i think theyre gonna make it kind of like heavenly sword, where the weapon changes with your needs. i still think its rebellion, but maybe its a re-imagined version. all-in-all this looks cool and i want to know when its coming out(i know it wont be soon).

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22  Edited By Icemael

I just played the Enslaved demo, and I am no longer worried. I'm convinced the game will be a fucking travesty. It'll take a miracle for it to turn out even mediocre.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It's probally going to be exactly like prototype and exactly 80% on gamerankings because that's all ninja theory is capable of.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.