Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DmC Devil May Cry

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 15, 2013

DmC Devil May Cry is a reboot of the series from developer Ninja Theory, featuring a redesigned Dante and a new take on the franchise's fiction.

Demo likes the Demo!

• 74 results
    MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#51  Edited By MormonWarrior

I just played the first part of the demo and it's freaking AWESOME! Bayonetta is one of my favorite games this generation and I'm stoked to see how this whole game plays out!

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By altairre

I'm a huge DMC fan (even played through DMC4 eight times) and I thought the demo was awesome. I'm curious to see if the lack of a lock on will be something I miss later though. The art direction is fantastic and the combat seems really interesting (just look at the loading screen combo). The demo definetely did its job and convinced me to pick it up day one.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By Sackmanjones

Just played the demo. I thought it was excellent. My only complaint is I feel like the jump feels.... Weird. Don't know how to explain it but by the end if the demo I was used to it. Animation was great and the city exploding around you looks jus incredible. The only thing is there was some significant framerate drops on the cutscenes which sucks. But as a whole this looks to be a great dmc game.

Also Dante's new look is totally fine, I might even say I like it. And I think it's awesome that he resembles old Dante when you use devil trigger

rolanthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By rolanthas

This was such a pleasant surprise for me. As much as I liked NT's previous efforts, combat was the one thing they never got right. As a long time DMC fan I was concerned, but not anymore. Despite 30 FPS cap, the combat flows better than ever. Trigger Hold weapon change is a fantastic idea, and lends itself better to mixing up combos than the previous system. Cinematics were funny, vulgar and explosive, just what DMC always was. "Fuck-Child" made my day tbh.

DMC1-2-3-4's clusterfuck of a myth with constant retcons always bugged me, so I'm very pleased with this being a reboot of a sort.

This and MG Rising, I'm having a really hard time waiting.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By Toxin066

One of the things I liked was that I could set custom button assignments. I feel like that's something that is disgustingly absent in a lot of games these days.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By envane

@Onkel_Apan: why did you think that linking a glowingly positive preview of the game would somehow back up your dislike for the game ? from that random british guys impressions im actually much more hopeful for this game now lol.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#57  Edited By ProfessorK

@Onkel_Apan said:

It is a Ninja Theory game, i played them all and they always put graphics and animation in front of game play. the exact opposite of what Devil may cry has been. this game hopefully is the last nail in the coffin for Ninja Theory, shame they had to ruin a good franchise.

give it a chance? i played the demo, what more can i do? If this game wasn´t named DmC no one would have given a shit about it.

It's more than fair that you may not like the game. But for you to say that an entire studio should be shuttered over this game is disgusting. NT is far from the worst studio, and many people enjoy their efforts. Enslaved was beautiful if yet flawed and Heavenly Sword was an ambitious effort. Put aside your fanboyism, because saying something like that, especially when there are studios pumping out garbage, is totally uncalled for.

And I believe quite the opposite, that if this wasn't DmC then people wouldn't have been so ready to shit all over it and accept the art direction.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#58  Edited By cornbredx

I'm not sure you know what rose tinted glasses means but cool. I hope the game is good and it does well. I loved the original DMC and totally fine with them rebooting it. You didn't really play it for the story anyway. 

My only gripe is his hair, but whatever. I can live with him looking like an idiot. I'm not the target audience anyway anymore. I can live with that.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#60  Edited By Lazyaza

I too hope this game finally does well for them, they are a fantastic studio doing very unique and very high quality things with their games and it is an utter crime that neither Heavenly Sword or Enslaved sold well enough to even make profit.

As for the hardcore dmc fans complaining its too slow, thats exactly the change I wanted for the series above all else. The combat was always too frenetic, chaotic and borderline unmanagable in the old games and just like in Bayonetta I could only have fun with them on easy. If the story in this new one is at last compelling and the characters likable (beyond Dante being such an ass he's entertaining as has always been the case) then imo NT will have made the best entry in the franchise. But I can't play the demo yet so I've no idea atm.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#61  Edited By DarthOrange

I wouldn't call myself a long time DMC fan (I loved the first one to death, and thought the second was poop, third was meh, and I didn't play the fourth), but I gotta say the demo left me a little unsatisfied. Combat felt a little two easy and made me miss God of War. I'll definitely pick it up because I am digging the new Dante and the story seems interesting enough, plus hack and slash is always fun, but I didn't think the demo was all that great.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By impartialgecko

I enjoyed the demo but the switch from 60 to 30 frames per second gives the game a very different feel. I agree about the combo system, I was playing terribly yet I still got an SSS because I was landing most of my hits frequently. The camera seems to work okay for me, it only became an annoyance in tighter arenas. As much as I like how they're messing with the geometry of the levels to make you feel like its a hostile place, platforming has never been DMCs strong suit and than hasn't changed with this game.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#63  Edited By Liquidus

@Xel said:

Longtime DMC fan here, I thought the demo was okay - not bad and not good, just okay. The framerate is all over the place, and the difficulty is far too easy, even on the hardest setting. The controls feel weird too, I don't like having the evade buttons on top and I hated not being able to lock on. Combat is fine, if a little slow. My first impressions have held up - it's a good combat engine, but pretty different from the previous games.

The dialogue is terrible - that part with the boss had me cringing on the floor of the living room and I usually enjoy stupid dialogue.

I liked the art style in the city, but the boss arena was just a lava pit. I'd like to have boss fights where the city environment interferes like in the first stage of the demo.

Overall, the game seems decent, but I wish it didn't keep the Devil May Cry name because it unnecessarily draws comparisons to previous titles . It can stand on it's own merit, but I don't think it can match the excellence of DMC3 and DMC4 yet.

I'll definitely give the full game a shot to prove me wrong.

Pretty much my feelings exactly. The gameplay is perfectly competent but it really doesn't feel like DMC to me and the dialogue is god awful. Dante isn't cheesy and fun anymore, he's just kinda annoying. And apparently, saying fuck a lot is supposed to be funny.

Avatar image for deactivated-60534c109535a
    deactivated-60534c109535a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

PS3 demo of DMC was totally acceptable, except the camera and cramped areas, nothing groundbreaking. My preditiction: Mixed bag. Something, good or a whole lot of garbage. Time will tell, i'll wait and see.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By xyzygy

I agree with everything you said. I'm surprised there is so much going on with this game because honestly NT's two previous games were fairly shallow, especially Enslaved (in the combat area, that is). But one thing I heard is that Ninja Theory actually didn't do the combat, it was the same team who did DMC4 (which I fucking love) and Ninja Theory did everything besides.

I actually didn't really notice anything wrong with the camera. It felt like a DMC camera, with a low setting while exploring, and a dynamic setting while fighting. Sure enemies are sometimes left out of the camera's view but that's a given with such a fast action game.

And what is this I see about framerate? It was really smooth for me :S

@DarthOrange said:

I wouldn't call myself a long time DMC fan (I loved the first one to death, and thought the second was poop, third was meh, and I didn't play the fourth), but I gotta say the demo left me a little unsatisfied. Combat felt a little two easy and made me miss God of War. I'll definitely pick it up because I am digging the new Dante and the story seems interesting enough, plus hack and slash is always fun, but I didn't think the demo was all that great.

Did you play on Son of Sparda mode? If anything this game should make you miss Bayonetta... not God of War!

Onkel_Apan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Onkel_Apan

@xyzygy said:

But one thing I heard is that Ninja Theory actually didn't do the combat, it was the same team who did DMC4

Ninja Theory did the combat but Capcom did not like it so they took it on to make it good. it is far from DMC4 just because of the animation. here is a video of a pro-DMC player testing out the demo. and makes the game look broken.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By xyzygy

@Onkel_Apan said:

@xyzygy said:

But one thing I heard is that Ninja Theory actually didn't do the combat, it was the same team who did DMC4

Ninja Theory did the combat but Capcom did not like it so they took it on to make it good. it is far from DMC4 just because of the animation. here is a video of a pro-DMC player testing out the demo. and makes the game look broken.

I don't mean "I liked DMC4 so I expect this to be the same game", I mean that I liked the approach they went in DMC4 with Nero's combat so that gives me hope. And to be honest I don't think that video makes the game look broken, it just shows that you can do crazy ass cancelling and really bend the combat system. Which is pretty great.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Spoonman671

It took me so damn long to figure out what the fuck that title meant.

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#69  Edited By clumsyninja1

i love it, Dante looks fine, rather have this one than the anime one...

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#70  Edited By musubi
    @DarthOrange I can not process those comments. I can't say I've ever equated God of War with being either hard or having deep combat.
    smokeyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#71  Edited By smokeyd123

@Demoskinos said:

@DarthOrange I can not process those comments. I can't say I've ever equated God of War with being either hard or having deep combat.

I'm with you on that one. In what universe did God of War have challenging combat? Not to say I didn't enjoy the games, they just made me feel like a terrible asshole by the end of 3.

@Onkel_Apan:

I love watching Brea play these games. Makes it look so easy.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#72  Edited By DarthOrange
    @smokeyd123 said:

@Demoskinos said:

I'm with you on that one. In what universe did God of War have challenging combat? Not to say I didn't enjoy the games, they just made me feel like a terrible asshole by the end of 3.

They were totally tough on higher difficulties where parries, rolling and timing were absolutely crucial. Or maybe you guys are just awesome at video games or I just suck. Also possibilities. 
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#73  Edited By musubi

@DarthOrange said:

@smokeyd123 said:

@Demoskinos said:

They were totally tough on higher difficulties where parries, rolling and timing were absolutely crucial. Or maybe you guys are just awesome at video games or I just suck. Also possibilities.

I'm used to playing Ninja Gaiden on Master Ninja so...bar is set pretty high for what I find hard personally at least. Not to say I didn't like me some God of War but it never really pushed me to the limit and I did play on the hardest difficulty.

TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By TwilitEnd656

@xyzygy said:

@Onkel_Apan said:

@xyzygy said:

I don't mean "I liked DMC4 so I expect this to be the same game", I mean that I liked the approach they went in DMC4 with Nero's combat so that gives me hope. And to be honest I don't think that video makes the game look broken, it just shows that you can do crazy ass cancelling and really bend the combat system. Which is pretty great.

There's a difference between bending the combat system and the system itself being about as solid as air. Some of that stuff is just pants-on-head-wtf kind of balance breaking when you watch and really think about what it means gameplay-wise.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.