Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DmC Devil May Cry

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 15, 2013

DmC Devil May Cry is a reboot of the series from developer Ninja Theory, featuring a redesigned Dante and a new take on the franchise's fiction.

DMC: Vergil's Downfall trailer

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cannonballbam

A new campaign just for Vergil. What do you guys think?

edit: @Yummylee: Thanks, I appreciate the working trailer.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

I was just in the middle of starting a thread about this... but I guess I'll just copy it over into a reply:

EDIT: Also you didn't post the video properly

Siiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

OK, so first off, considering the history of this franchise, Vergil should have once again been an unlockable character hidden within the full game itself, not some preorder bonus. I mean this is a pretty sizeable preorder bonus right there, too! This isn't some additional costume or set of weapons (though they're in there as well) - this is a whole new character. It's frankly even more despicable than the Catwoman thing in Arkham City, because for that you only (and I mean only from a comparative sense) needed to buy the game new; for Vergil you need to preorder, otherwise I imagine you're going to have to shell out some extra dosh down the line when it's inevitably released as DLC.

Furthermore, if that trailer is anything to go by, the preorder bonus is only available in the US and Canada?! And just to add insult to injury, this entire trailer is pretty much one giant spoiler slap across the face. Now sure, it's a predictable outcome all the same, but for them to outright spell it out for you themselves as apart of the marketing is pretty heinous. But then maybe this is just a red herring meant to throw you off to the real outcome of Vergil... Gah, and he looks so fun to play as, especially since it appears that he retains a large majority of his moveset from the DMC3 special edition, and I always preferred messing around as Vergil when it came to the Bloody Palace mode ect.

I wonder just how much content you can actually play across as Vergil... It looks like there's definitely some additional story stuff in there (implied to basically continue on from Vergil's fate as shown in DMC3 from what I can gather), but can you also play through the main campaign with him I wonder? While the fact that a character along with some story stuff is still shockingly substantial to be locked as preoder stuff, at the same time I imagine that that very predicament confines just what they could have done with Vergil.

Instead of incentivising people with the possibility of simply playing as Vergil, I would much rather they build an entire campaign around him and then release that as a DLC pack. Too early to judge either way, I guess... And this is all only getting in the way of how this fucking suuuuuuuuucks.

Oh well. Least it isn't platform exclusive.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Solh0und
    @Yummylee: Only time can tell man. This actually might be a good piece of DLC and not something that's like 1-2 hours like some...wait most DLC packs.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Yummylee

@Solh0und said:

@Yummylee: Only time can tell man. This actually might be a good piece of DLC and not something that's like 1-2 hours like some...wait most DLC packs.

It's apparently going to be priced at 720 MSP/£7.29/$8.99, and it's not on the disc, either. ''New weapons, enemies, locations'' bladdy bladdy blah, so it certainly sounds OK. But what still rustles the jimmies is how it isn't available as a preorder bonus in the UK, despite NT themselves being a shitting UK developer. If it's really as substantial as they're alluding to, then this could turn out to be a surprisingly generous offer. But apparently the American dollar stands for more so yet again European regions are given the shaft. If there's no new developments and it sticks as a strictly US/Canadian only offer, then I may just cancel my preorder altogether and decide to buy it at a later date.

Aronleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Aronleon

Sigh every time I try to give this a game a fair chance shit like this pops up, well that does it I have never been a fan of DLC if fact I think the only DLC i have ever acquired was thanks to a friend that lend me his ps3 so i could download it for free so yeah sorry DMC I might play you one day but just no.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cannonballbam

Have they even said anything about Bloody Palace being in the game? I know there is a combo practice room now, right?

s810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By s810

It really does seem that Capcom is trying to make this game seem like the most unappealing game ever.

Timnoldzim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Timnoldzim

From the way Capcom describes it, that looks to be a lot of content.

It's apparently going to be priced at 720 MSP/£7.29/$8.99

And that's a lot of money, too... this really seems like it's too big to be DLC. At least it's not on the disc.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Yummylee

@Timnoldzim: Yeah, this is essentially just like the Borderlands 2 preorder bonus, only this is looking to potentially pack in a great deal more content - and it's cheaper than the Mechromancer DLC was at that. I at first blew my top because I assumed this was more day-1 DLC baloney judging by the trailer, but what the preorder gives you is just a code for when the DLC is eventually released.

However, it's still complete and utter bullwank that it's exclusive to US and Canadian regions, and if I have to pay for the content solely based on where I live, then fuck that. I'll just buy it when it's cheaper, if not a used copy, and then make up part of the difference with the DLC. That is of course if the game's any good, though from what I've seen it looks pretty fantastic and I totally had the thing already preordered. Cancelled it after I learnt of this, though, and it'll stay that way unless European gamers can be given the same privilege.

@cannonballBAM said:

Have they even said anything about Bloody Palace being in the game? I know there is a combo practice room now, right?

As far as I know there's been no word. After DMC3 SE and DMC4 it's basically become a staple of the franchise so I really hope it's in there and isn't also scheduled as DLC...

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By ESREVER

Fuck yea Vergil, that is all.

Brighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Brighty

@s810 said:

It really does seem that Capcom is trying to make this game seem like the most unappealing game ever.

This. So much. Even after the inital backlash wore off, all the trailers they've released of this 2edgy4me storyline and hilarious god-awful dialogue (there is literally an exchange where Dante and a boss yell "FUCK YOU" back and forth at each other in increasing levels of volume), it makes this game seem like its targeted solely at the 14 year old angsty teen demographic. I've given up trying to get enthused and giving this game a chance, and at this point I just wish there was going to be a proper DMC sequel instead of this. This game seems like a literal downgrade in almost every technical aspect from what made the previous games so much fun except for the emphasis on the story this time around. DMC was never about the story in the first place, it was a cheesy anime-esque story used as a tool to fit as many crazy awesome, entertaining cutscenes together as possible, and it was completely serviceable. I have no idea why they tried to place such an emphasis on it this time around, and the results have been absolutely eye-rolling at how grimdark and cliched they are.

I know this has been probably beaten to death at this point, but still, yuck.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By DarthOrange

I'm still psyched for this and the new God of War next year. I love me some hack and slash! Although I must say, why didn't they just include this on the disc and make the pre-order an unlock key? I don't want to download a giant thing, and I don't think this makes people any less pissed off.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Sooty

All I can say is I look forward to Capcom going back to internal development on some of their future titles. (which is the rumour as they are staffing back up)

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By musubi

I think that all the people who are still complaining about this game should shut up right about now is what I think. Everything about this game looks fucking RAD. DmC and fucking Revengence at the start of the year this is going to be a glorious year for character action games.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Genkkaku

@Demoskinos: or a terrible year for character action games! Though I am verily optimistic! (I couldn't remember the word but I think verily fit's)

Why is this a Pre-Order bonus!? Why!?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#16  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Demoskinos I agree. People are so goddam whiny.

2013 hype train!
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Yummylee

@StarvingGamer said:

@Demoskinos I agree. People are so goddam whiny. 2013 hype train!

If this is at all directed at myself, maybe you should read my posts again before you are to declare me as being ''so goddamn whiny'' in response to this.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#18  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Yummylee: You should read the post I was responding to again

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I LOVE when DLC is advertised before a game is released!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Yummylee

@StarvingGamer: ...I know who you were replying to, and you were agreeing that anyone complaining about this game should ''shut up''. I am currently complaining about DmC, or at least the business practises that surround it, ergo the connection.

I'll take that as a no in any case.

s810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By s810

@Demoskinos said:

Everything about this game looks fucking RAD.

Could you please elaborate how anything but the combat in this game will be rad?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Yummylee

Huh, so it seems that the digital preorder on the PS3 Euro PS-Store has access to the Vergil's Downfall DLC code preorder bonus. Of course because it's the PS-store, it's priced at £50... Still, it gives me hope that this bonus will pop up elsewhere where I won't have to necessarily sink an extra £10.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By Catolf

@s810 said:

@Demoskinos said:

Could you please elaborate how anything but the combat in this game will be rad?

1: Being Ninja Theory the story will be fantastic.

2: It will be something worth playing.

3: Your looking to hate, and that's just rad for you, but give it a shot.

Face it, any story in any DMC was never worth a second look: "It's not about the story it's about the combat!" Is what I really hope you won't tell me. Or: "What are you talking about, the story in DMC is what made it great with the combat!" Cause that would be just silly too...XP

(not directing this part to you.)

Yes that DLC is expensive, but it's FREE as a preorder bonus. Both for the EU and for the US. What is there to complain about, honestly? You don't want it, don't preorder or buy it. You do, just preorder, no money spent until you get full game.

If you all weren't sure, I'm getting the game, it looks awesome.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Yummylee

@Catolf: If you know of anywhere UK based besides the PS-store that's offering up the Vergil DLC as a preorder bonus, then by all means, point me to it.

Also there has been far too much uttering of the word 'rad' in here... Good lord is that such a stupid term.

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Wampa1

@Yummylee: BODACIOUS DUDE! I still can't work out if I like the tone this game is going for or if I totally hate it.

Onkel_Apan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Onkel_Apan

@Catolf said:

you know they had to hire writers to save both scripts for Heavenly Sword and Enslaved.

Rhianna Pratchett for heavenly Sword.

Rhianna Pratchett: There was actually a first-draft script in place when I came on board, which is as rare as rocking-horse poo in the games industry, it really is. So Nariko, Kai (the two main characters in the game), et al., were already there, although not all the characters had names, and most of them didn't really have properly defined journeys, relationships, foibles, etc. So character-wise there were some good bones then and some goddamn fantastic concept art!

Alex Garland for Enslaved

We got to a section where Monkey was walking down a walkway, and he sees an escaping slave trying to pull himself up to the walkway. And instead of helping the guy up, Monkey kicked him in the face and sent him to his death. They thought that projected the idea that Monkey was a badass. Whereas, to me, it projected the idea that Monkey was a bit of a cunt.

DmC is the first game Tameem is writing without someone to fix it. With that said you know the story will be shit, Tameem think being an asshole is cool. it like he never played a Devil May Cry game. they also had to send the game to capcom to tweak the fighting system so it was up to par with Devil may cry.

It just seems that Ninja Theory are not able to make tight controls, good game play and a good story without getting outside help.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By musubi
    @s810 Because I think the story premise is actually pretty neat and I like Ninja Theory's story telling. I also like their renditions of Dante and Vergil. I was absolutely sold on the new Dante the second I saw him get dressed mid air while his trailer was getting ripped apart. Its the same kind of dumb that the original Dante was and I love it.
    s810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By s810

@Catolf said:

@s810 said:

@Demoskinos said:

Face it, any story in any DMC was never worth a second look: "It's not about the story it's about the combat!" Is what I really hope you won't tell me. Or: "What are you talking about, the story in DMC is what made it great with the combat!" Cause that would be just silly too...XP

Yes that DLC is expensive, but it's FREE as a preorder bonus. Both for the EU and for the US. What is there to complain about, honestly? You don't want it, don't preorder or buy it. You do, just preorder, no money spent until you get full game.

1: From what I have seen, the cut scenes have been totally unappealing. Mostly because it flips over everything about Hideki Kamiya's original vision of Dante and the Devil May Cry world into an embarassing, loathsome mess targeted to teenagers.

2: The combat looks pretty serviceable, there's no doubt about that. But the redesigns of the characters, the enemies, and settings, and even user interface seem to be a big downgrade from the previous games. It would be hard for me to enjoy the combat when I loathe everything else.

3: I'm just really disappointed.

The story really isn't what is important. Its a video game, an action video game at that. A lengthy story bogged down by cut scenes is not necessary, unless it is interesting enough to complement the game-play, in which DmC's case it isn't from the looks of it. I'm not a fan of games that try to be blockbuster movies.

So are you looking to play this game for the story? If so, that's just silly.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By musubi
    @Onkel_Apan Dante IS an asshole.
    s810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By s810

@Demoskinos said:

@s810 Its the same kind of dumb that the original Dante was and I love it.

I would have to disagree with that. DmC's Dante just seems dumb in the annoying and immature way.

Onkel_Apan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Onkel_Apan

@Demoskinos: It is a big difference between a lovable asshole and an asshole

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Yummylee

: Mostly because it flips over everything about Hideki Kamiya's original vision of Dante and the Devil May Cry world into an embarassing, loathsome mess targeted to teenagers.

@s810: Um. So what about terrible industrial rock music, tacky red leather jackets, ''THIS PARTY'S GETTIN CRAZAAAAAY - LET'S ROCK!'', ''SSSTYLISH!'', Lady & Trish's boob jiggles and, well...

Like, seriously, have you played any of the DMC games before? Of course you have, but I'm asking you such a rhetorical question because of how utterly stupid such a complaint is. DMC has always been a pandering ''extreme'' sort of series that's like some twisted mixture of 80s and 90s culture - the embarrassing parts, though. You're kidding yourself if you perhaps considered the older games to be a little more highbrow or mature. DmC is different sure, and it's understandable as to why you dislike the changes, but don't try and make the original game's sense of style to be anything above what this new one has.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By musubi
    @s810 Dante was a super immature piece of shit in DMC3. The only thing that has changed here is peoples perspective.
    Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Solh0und

In honor of Vergil, I'm dropping this here:

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By Catolf

@Onkel_Apan said:

@Demoskinos: It is a big difference between a lovable asshole and an asshole

No.. it wasn't lovable, it was idiotic to the extreeme..but.. it's Dante.. so..LETS GET CRAAAZZZZYYYYYY...*shot*

Also, to your thing about the story, I don't care if they got help or not, what in the end matters is that the stories were good, and I doubt they will go about this without getting it looked over. So.. aww snap.

@s810 said:

@Catolf said:

@s810 said:

@Demoskinos said:

1: From what I have seen, the cut scenes have been totally unappealing. Mostly because it flips over everything about Hideki Kamiya's original vision of Dante and the Devil May Cry world into an embarassing, loathsome mess targeted to teenagers.

Ummm... have you well i'll just direct that back to @Yummylee, they seemed to take care of that real quick. lol

2: The combat looks pretty serviceable, there's no doubt about that. But the redesigns of the characters, the enemies, and settings, and even user interface seem to be a big downgrade from the previous games. It would be hard for me to enjoy the combat when I loathe everything else.

Um... a down grade.. did you forget what everyone looked like before? The shitty little areas you had to fight that was the same as the LAST area you just fought in? Oh and camera angles..ughhghghhghgh! *shot*

3: I'm just really disappointed.

The story really isn't what is important. Its a video game, an action video game at that. A lengthy story bogged down by cut scenes is not necessary, unless it is interesting enough to complement the game-play, in which DmC's case it isn't from the looks of it. I'm not a fan of games that try to be blockbuster movies.

So are you looking to play this game for the story? If so, that's just silly.

HA!... i quit reading there..

An action game can have a decent story and not be labored, the first god of war did that nicely. But hey... XP

@Demoskinos said:

@s810 Dante was a super immature piece of shit in DMC3. The only thing that has changed here is peoples perspective.

Here here!

s810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By s810

@Yummylee said:

: Mostly because it flips over everything about Hideki Kamiya's original vision of Dante and the Devil May Cry world into an embarassing, loathsome mess targeted to teenagers.

@s810: Um. So what about terrible industrial rock music, tacky red leather jackets, ''THIS PARTY'S GETTIN CRAZAAAAAY - LET'S ROCK!'', ''SSSTYLISH!'', Lady & Trish's boob jiggles and, well...

Like, seriously, have you played any of the DMC games before? Of course you have, but I'm asking you such a rhetorical question because of how utterly stupid such a complaint is. DMC has always been a pandering ''extreme'' sort of series that's like some twisted mixture of 80s and 90s culture - the embarrassing parts, though. You're kidding yourself if you perhaps considered the older games to be a little more highbrow or mature. DmC is different sure, and it's understandable as to why you dislike the changes, but don't try and make the original game's sense of style to be anything above what this new one has.

What I'm saying is, Capcom has made the style and personality of the game more immature and cheesy to the point where it is no longer entertaining or inoffensive. In fact, they have stated that they were targeting an even younger audience, so naturally it will even more juvenile. While original Dante comes off as laughably cheesy and entertaining, DmC's Dante seems a bit too much like try-hard "cool guy", and it is just annoying.

I won't even begin to talk about the smoking and the curse fight. Lol.

SonnyCheebah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SonnyCheebah
    @s810: I honestly find the old Dante to be more annoying, in a shamelessly-pandering-to-Western-interests, kind of way.  When you said that this Dante is a try-hard cool guy, I had to re-read it.  No one has tried harder to make Dante cool than Capcom.
    Brighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Brighty

If we're getting into debates over the merits of character, then I recommend watching this. Really interesting and well-spoken video.

SonnyCheebah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SonnyCheebah

Can we please stop pretending as if Dante was ever a well-written character in the first place?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea641329300b
    deactivated-5ea641329300b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SonnyCheebah said:

Can we please stop pretending as if Dante was ever a well-written character in the first place?

Agreed. Dante has always been a bad character.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#42  Edited By GunstarRed

@Brighty: I don't have the energy to respond to this video as I already wrote a chunk of text in another thread that seems to have been deleted, but just because your'e not expressing your opinion through loud mouthed "OMG YOU BROKED THE GAME!!!!" it doesn't make it any less stupid.

If a demon lava mutant monster said "fuck you" to me my response, as many others would be incredibly similar.

Dante was always a total cock.

Brighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Brighty

@Sauson: I disagree, I throughouly enjoy his character much in the same way I enjoy Gene from Godhand, Bayonetta, Travis Touchdown, to name a few. They're good characters that are appropriate and fitting in their role in the story. Not every character has to be a hugely fleshed out, deeply written, flawed, relatable piece to be considered a good character. Some of film and literature's most iconic and revered villains are decidedly one-dimensional. You can't blanket that term to be an all-encompassing measure that defies genre and story tone, it's way too subjective and dynamic to be universal like that. In a game like DMC where the story doesn't take itself seriously and every cutscene is bombastic and over the top, Dante is a perfect fit. He is a good character, and I'd go so far to say he's a fantastic character - his character accomplishes and fills in the role it was designed for perfectly and what's more he's become iconic in doing so. If you take him out of DMC and put him into a game like Metal Gear Solid, then yes, he would most definitely be a bad character - in this universe Dante's normal endearing traits would become horrible character flaws and he'd be totally out of touch with the genre and the tone of the story.

But to say he's a bad character in his own universe? Lol. It may not be your cup of tea and you may not like these kinds of stories or characters - that's perfectly fine - but to say he's a bad character in the context of the crazy universe of DMC is laughable.

@GunstarRed said:

@Brighty: I don't have the energy to respond to this video as I already wrote a chunk of text in another thread that seems to have been deleted, but just because your'e not expressing your opinion through loud mouthed "OMG YOU BROKED THE GAME!!!!" it doesn't make it any less stupid.

If a demon lava mutant monster said "fuck you" to me my response, as many others would be incredibly similar.

That's too bad, because I'd love to hear a logical and reasonable defense to the points made in the video about the new Dante's character.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#44  Edited By GunstarRed

@Brighty: All I really need to say is this. It is a six minute dissection of a character from a game that has yet to be released.

SonnyCheebah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SonnyCheebah
    @Brighty said:

@Sauson: I disagree, I throughouly enjoy his character much in the same way I enjoy Gene from Godhand, Bayonetta, Travis Touchdown, to name a few. They're good characters that are appropriate and fitting in their role in the story. Not every character has to be a hugely fleshed out, deeply written, flawed, relatable piece to be considered a good character. Some of film and literature's most iconic and revered villains are decidedly one-dimensional. You can't blanket that term to be an all-encompassing measure that defies genre and story tone, it's way too subjective and dynamic to be universal like that. In a game like DMC where the story doesn't take itself seriously and every cutscene is bombastic and over the top, Dante is a perfect fit. He is a good character, and I'd go so far to say he's a fantastic character - his character accomplishes and fills in the role it was designed for perfectly and what's more he's become iconic in doing so. If you take him out of DMC and put him into a game like Metal Gear Solid, then yes, he would most definitely be a bad character - in this universe Dante's normal endearing traits would become horrible character flaws and he'd be totally out of touch with the genre and the tone of the story.

But to say he's a bad character in his own universe? Lol. It may not be your cup of tea and you may not like these kinds of stories or characters - that's perfectly fine - but to say he's a bad character in the context of the crazy universe of DMC is laughable.

@GunstarRed said:

That's too bad, because I'd love to hear a logical and reasonable defense to the points made in the video about the new Dante's character.

How can you say that, and then compare this Dante to the previous incarnations?
    Brighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Brighty

@GunstarRed said:

@Brighty: All I really need to say is this. It is a six minute dissection of a character from a game that has yet to be released.

Well that's disappointing, because that's a poor and tired argument. They've given us more than enough trailers/previews over the past two years. It's their job to sell us on the game by showing us what this game will be like, what this game will be about, and to get us familiar with the character. They've given out numerous story beats through the many demos and press releases and over the 2+ years we've come to have a very strong grasp of who this character is and what he stands for. It's the same way you knew the character of Asura, or Ezio, or Connor, or Adam Jensen, or any other character driven game and what to expect of that character before their games even came out by watching the trailers, the press releases, and the cutscenes that were put out with the purpose to familiarize you with these characters. It's basic marketing. This Dante and his personality that we've seen so far will be the same Dante that will be in the final game.

On the slim and nonexistent chance that somehow this is not indicative or representative of how Dante acts in the final game, then they should fire their marketing team for how terrible of a job they've done. But I think the marketing has done a servicable job, because Iagain, that won't be the case.

@SonnyCheebah said:

@Brighty said:

How can you say that, and then compare this Dante to the previous incarnations?

Because they're not in the same universe. Like I said earlier, DMC's story took a backseat to the bombastic action and over the top crazy to promote an overall fun experience for the player even when they're watching a cutscene. It's a lighthearted universe for the most part, with a slightly more somber tone typically during the pivotal climax of the story, before going back to being crazy again. This is a completely different universe than DmC. On the other hand, DmC's story takes itself incredible seriously. Its story is supposed to be a grim take on corporate control over the media and how evil it is, it's supposed to be an exaggerated version of a sign of our times - even going so far as having a satirical parody of Bill O'Reily as an evil boss fight. Dante is supposed to be a sympathetic protagonist with a tragic past and an underdog fighting for the good of humanity, adopting the position of a heroic and sympathetic character that you want to root for - in theory. In execution, with how the character behaves and acts, he ultimately isn't particularly likable or sympathetic and doesn't achieve the purpose he was created for - making him a bad character.

The problem is Ninja Theory caved and redesigned their original vision of Dante to cave to the outcry and made him more like the old Dante - more wise-cracking, more "in your face", less victimized - except tonally, he doesn't fit in the world or setting that NT had already crafted and in order to look "badass" he ends up doing things that in this universe make him come across as an unlikable dick or make him seem like he's trying too hard. Ninja Theory should have had the brass to stick to their guns and artistic vision and kept their original TGS 2010 Dante - the troubled and tormented version - which seems way more appropriate for the universe he's in.

SonnyCheebah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SonnyCheebah
    @Brighty said:

Because they're not in the same universe.

My point exactly.  Apples and oranges. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.