Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DmC Devil May Cry

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 15, 2013

DmC Devil May Cry is a reboot of the series from developer Ninja Theory, featuring a redesigned Dante and a new take on the franchise's fiction.

So does anyone else miss the taunt button?

smokeyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By smokeyd123

It might be just me, but I feel like part of my combo repertoire is missing (besides twosome time, but that's another discussion) and I really miss it.

I'm in the middle of a combo string, get a bit of a break, tap select... and nothing happens.

Then I'm sad.

Anyone else feel this way?

MurderBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MurderBunny

I used it more in Bayonetta, but it was great that after you punted a enemy away you then do a little taunt.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Sanious

Yeah, doesn't really make sense to me that they decided to not have them because they felt in didn't fit the character while Dante still makes wise crack remarks to the Demons.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By TobbRobb

I miss it a little. But it was never a core part of my playstyle, so meh.

Still, it was a fun button. And it had the ability to make people look fucking aaawesome on streams.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By IBurningStar

I didn't notice it missing when I played the demo, but I didn't even think about it when I was playing. Having this pointed out to me kind of bums me out a bit. I mean, that was kind of one of DMC's trademarks. Why would you take that out? In a way I can rationalize the other changes, but omitting that is mind blowing. This may be the straw that broke the camels back. I was already on the fence about buying this because I do have some issues with the game, but the fact that you can't taunt says a lot to me. I am going to let this drop down to the $20 range before picking it up.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bell_End

no.

i just do it myself.

i stand up and point at the screen and say 'come on bitches!!' really load so my neihbours hear me and come round and complain. then i explain what im doing and why im naked from the waste down.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By JTB123

I miss it a great deal, was an integral part of raising the style meter too. More than anything I just liked how stupid they were, like Nero's air guitar from 4 where a guitar is actually playing is freaking awesome.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Quarters

I don't miss it, purely because I usually forgot about it in the earlier games, and used it maybe a grand total of 2 times.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bell_End

@JTB123 said:

I miss it a great deal, was an integral part of raising the style meter too. More than anything I just liked how stupid they were, like Nero's air guitar from 4 where a guitar is actually playing is freaking awesome.

its easy to pretend it still is there and just do the taunts yourself. as long as you point at the sreen when you do them you don't look stupid or silly.

works really well for me at least

Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cretaceous_Bob

Oh what the fuck? There isn't a taunt button in this game? I was pretty optimistic about playing this game, but now I don't know. That sounds like a fundamental mishandling of the tone.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MikeGosot

That's a bummer. It's just a taunt button, but i liked it, it was stylish and fun. I'm still going to buy the game, but still.... No taunt button sucks.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

It is not necessary with the way the style meter works now. It takes far longer to break your style, so no need to fill that time with a taunt.

KruelAK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KruelAK

I cannot recall, but was there a taunt button in DMC 4?

That is the first game in the series I played (as well as the only one, besides DmC Devil May Cry), please don't hate me for not playing the original 3..I was a kid with Nintendo and the Xbox :)

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By musubi
    @KruelAK Yep-
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By I_smell

Hey I'm playing Bayonetta right now and every time I taunt I get the same animation.
    Just checkin' here: am I doin' this wrong?

smokeyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By smokeyd123

@I_smell: You get different taunts with different weapons equipped. There might be more, I never really used the taunt like I did in DMC 3 and 4.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Klei

@Cretaceous_Bob said:

Oh what the fuck? There isn't a taunt button in this game? I was pretty optimistic about playing this game, but now I don't know. That sounds like a fundamental mishandling of the tone.

Ohhhh snap! No more taunt button! What a deal breaker!

Taunt button served one purpose; no, not only to keep yelling those Ninja Turtles quote, but to keep that combo meter active even while the enemies are too far away for you to grab/dash at them. In the newest DmC, the combo meter stays there as long as you don't get hit.

Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cretaceous_Bob

@Klei said:

Taunt button served one purpose; no, not only to keep yelling those Ninja Turtles quote, but to keep that combo meter active even while the enemies are too far away for you to grab/dash at them. In the newest DmC, the combo meter stays there as long as you don't get hit.

I complained about a mishandling of "tone", and you assuaged my fears by telling me: absolutely nothing about the tone.

The fact that there is a whole button devoted to "DO SOMETHING REALLY DUMB AND WORTHLESS FOR LAUGHS" and there are whole animations built for it sums up the entire reason why DMC goes beyond being a great hack and slash game to a truly amazing game. That sort of design decision is a hallmark of the entire philosophy of how the game is built. Anyone who strips that from the game cannot possibly be in touch with the style and tone that made DMC 3 and 4 so great.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#19  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Cretaceous_Bob said:

@Klei said:

I complained about a mishandling of "tone", and you assuaged my fears by telling me: absolutely nothing about the tone.

The fact that there is a whole button devoted to "DO SOMETHING REALLY DUMB AND WORTHLESS FOR LAUGHS" and there are whole animations built for it sums up the entire reason why DMC goes beyond being a great hack and slash game to a truly amazing game. That sort of design decision is a hallmark of the entire philosophy of how the game is built. Anyone who strips that from the game cannot possibly be in touch with the style and tone that made DMC 3 and 4 so great.

But it seems like the reason for including the taunt button was the complete opposite of "do[ing] something really dumb and worthless for laughs". Taunting in DMC3 and 4 is so deeply tied into the combo/style system that it must have been a mechanical decision long before it was a tonal one. It's a whole button devoted to "KEEP YOUR COMBO GOING BECAUSE IT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE TO HIT SSS OTHERWISE". If they had built the game to be more lenient, I doubt taunts would have ever made it in.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By cornbredx

This is, as expected, just devolving into a hate on the new DmC game thread, but no. I don't miss it at all. It was funny at the time but something I never found necessary to use. Ever.  
    Granted I'm not a crazy, perfect the game, get triple S ranks on everything person. 

I can understand why people miss it, but don't see it as a deal breaker because that's silly.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By KingBroly

I miss the lock-on button more.

Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Cretaceous_Bob

@StarvingGamer said:

But it seems like the reason for including the taunt button was the complete opposite of "do[ing] something really dumb and worthless for laughs". Taunting in DMC3 and 4 is so deeply tied into the combo/style system that it must have been a mechanical decision long before it was a tonal one. It's a whole button devoted to "KEEP YOUR COMBO GOING BECAUSE IT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE TO HIT SSS OTHERWISE". If they had built the game to be more lenient, I doubt taunts would have ever made it in.

Uh, what?

I played DMC 4 for 100 hours. You can hit SSS all the time without the taunt button. The risk/reward of that button is never worth it. It's purely for really dumb, awesome style. The fact that it maintains your combo is simply to keep you at status quo; if using the taunt didn't stop the depletion of the bar, the game would be punishing you for taunting.

The people who designed DmC know that and apparently decided that style is not their thing. That's very disappointing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.