Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DmC Devil May Cry

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 15, 2013

DmC Devil May Cry is a reboot of the series from developer Ninja Theory, featuring a redesigned Dante and a new take on the franchise's fiction.

Too much platforming?

• 86 results
    El_Galant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By El_Galant

I don't know if I'm on the minority on this but I've found that there is too much jumping around to get through the stages. I'm on Mission 18 and feel that the level design is too dependent on using the hooks & jumping all over the place to get from one place to another in the game. I checked the 'traversal' stats on the game and it said I had over 1000 jumps...!!??....a little too much perhaps? I like the game but between that and the lack of bosses those are my only 2 major gripes on the game.

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By J12088

Yup. Lack of bosses, lack of enemies and far too many cutscenes that you can't skip over make this a less than brilliant game. Makes replaying it a chore and trying to SSS rank everything even more of a chore.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By WarlordPayne

Wait...you can't skip cutscenes? This is the first time I've seen that mentioned. With a game that relies so much on replayability I'd think more people would be complaining about that.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Sackmanjones

I think the platforming is super fun. With that said, I do agree there is most definitely a lack of boss fights. I just finished chapter 10 and I think it's only be 3 total? Could be wrong. But overall I think the game is stellar. I loved the original trilogy and Id say this is on par or better than any of them. Controversy people.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By JJOR64

You can hit the Back Button (Or Select on PS3 I presume) to skip cut cutscenes. Not sure if you can skip them your first viewing though.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By musubi

@WarlordPayne: No, you can skip cut-scenes. Some of them you have to watch a few seconds because it masks load times during the cut-scenes. On the console versions it would be Back/Select button to skip.

As to the question. I really enjoy the platforming. Using the grappling hooks to navigate the environments is really fun especially in some of the latter stages where you are swinging around the level like freaking spider man or something. Its great.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I never had a issue with the platforming. There are two levels later on that focus on it but is not an issue. All for variety. It felt great, even if it is never hard.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By pr1mus

A 1000 jumps? That's nothing, Brad jumped at least 2000 times while fighting Vergil in DMC 1.

delorean99947

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By delorean99947

I found the platforming in the early game to be annoying because I wanted to fight stuff, but the platforming becomes more enjoyable later on and the fights last longer.

doe3879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By doe3879

The platforming is kinda killing the replayability for me. Was kinda shocked I couldn't skip the grabbing/pulling tutorial. I just have to stop every time I come across a long platforming section on my 2nd play through.

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By J12088

@WarlordPayne said:

Wait...you can't skip cutscenes? This is the first time I've seen that mentioned. With a game that relies so much on replayability I'd think more people would be complaining about that.

I should be clear you can skip some of them. Others hide loading screens so you have to wait. And you are correct for a game that relies on replayability it does kill it. When I'm trying to speed run it and just getting to the next fight it's really flow breaking to get stuck behind a cutscene I've already seen 5 times even if it's only for 20-30 seconds before the games done loading.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By project343

I actually really enjoy the platforming. It's one of the best ways to showcase their brilliant art direction/aesthetic.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ThePaleKing

Having the gliding jump ability lets you skip a lot of the platforming in the early areas, and once have the timing down you get past most of the platforming areas in the game pretty fast. That said, yeah, I think they went a little heavy on the platforming, though I can understand why since that is kind of a hallmark of NINJA THEORY game; at least none of it egregiously annoying, like some of the sections in Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By musubi

@ThePaleKing: Ninja Theory developed this not Team Ninja.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By spankingaddict

I have nothing bad to say about DmC . It just amazes me how people can pick out imaginary flaws in this game :D

Whatevs... not a big deal .

@J12088 said:

@WarlordPayne said:

I should be clear you can skip some of them. Others hide loading screens so you have to wait. And you are correct for a game that relies on replayability it does kill it. When I'm trying to speed run it and just getting to the next fight it's really flow breaking to get stuck behind a cutscene I've already seen 5 times even if it's only for 20-30 seconds before the games done loading.

I've never had to wait even 10 seconds to skip a scene . You can skip 90% of cutscenes instantly , not just some .

One of us has to be wrong :P

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cannonballbam

The platforming is hard because his hair isn't white enough and he because smokes cigarettes.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ThePaleKing

@Demoskinos said:

@ThePaleKing: Ninja Theory developed this not Team Ninja.

Sorry, that's what I meant

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zella

@doe3879 said:

The platforming is kinda killing the replayability for me. Was kinda shocked I couldn't skip the grabbing/pulling tutorial. I just have to stop every time I come across a long platforming section on my 2nd play through.

yeah those tutorials fucking suck when you have to do them at least 5 times if you are going for the S-Rank. I didn't mind the platforming in general that much though, I actually wish they made it more challenging at times.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ThePaleKing

@Zella said:

@doe3879 said:

yeah those tutorials fucking suck when you have to do them at least 5 times if you are going for the S-Rank. I didn't mind the platforming in general that much though, I actually wish they made it more challenging at times.

I wish they had found a way to incorporate it into the fights; I don't know if anyone remembers Shinobi on the PS2, but there were areas of that game where you had to wall run across large areas while simultaneously fighting air borne enemies, it was done very well and made for feeling like a total badass. One of the issues I had with DmC was how clear cut the "fighting sections" and "platforming" sections were.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zella

@ThePaleKing said:

@Zella said:

@doe3879 said:

I wish they had found a way to incorporate it into the fights; I don't know if anyone remembers Shinobi on the PS2, but there were areas of that game where you had to wall run across large areas while simultaneously fighting air borne enemies, it was done very well and made for feeling like a total badass. One of the issues I had with DmC was how clear cut the "fighting sections" and "platforming" sections were.

Yeah that would have been cool, there is only two moments where you need to use combat for traversal and that's for a lost soul and a key, for both you need to enemy step(or combo) to get high enough to reach it.

Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Nettacki

@spankingaddict said:

I have nothing bad to say about DmC . It just amazes me how people can pick out imaginary flaws in this game :D

Just because you don't have a problem with DmC doesn't mean others don't or shouldn't. Whatever problems this game has/hasn't is probably not imaginary, especially if that 3 star user review has any merit.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#23  Edited By StarvingGamer

I liked the platforming.

gesi1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gesi1223

@spankingaddict said:

I've never had to wait even 10 seconds to skip a scene . You can skip 90% of cutscenes instantly , not just some .

One of us has to be wrong :P

IF you're playing the PC version, I can understand not having to wait long at all to skip cutscenes, since it's reading info off a HDD which should be much faster than off disc media.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By OfficeGamer

@rebgav said:

Yup. Too much platforming, it feels like filler. DmC suffers from the same problems as Enslaved, not enough content to keep the gameplay interesting, combined with too much platforming and passively watching cutscenes.

Which is basically why I stopped playing halfway through the second mission. The novelty wears off quick, this kind of game is just too shallow.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By JoeyRavn

@OfficeGamer said:

@rebgav said:

Yup. Too much platforming, it feels like filler. DmC suffers from the same problems as Enslaved, not enough content to keep the gameplay interesting, combined with too much platforming and passively watching cutscenes.

Which is basically why I stopped playing halfway through the second mission. The novelty wears off quick, this kind of game is just too shallow.

How much did you pay for the game? I don't think I could ever stop playing a game I bought on launch on the second mission, which is, what? One hour into the game? That's a luxury I will never understand.

@Nettacki said:

@spankingaddict said:

Just because you don't have a problem with DmC doesn't mean others don't or shouldn't. Whatever problems this game has/hasn't is probably not imaginary, especially if that 3 star user review has any merit.

Fine and fair. But you shouldn't assume that the things that bother you should also bother everyone else either.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By TobbRobb

Haha, 1000 jumps by the end of the game? I had that after the second level.

Can't get used to this dodge roll. XD

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By Humanity

You can skip all cutscenes almost right away as has been mentioned and the platforming is pretty simple and straightforward. The only problem I had was with the gliding as you can't steer in mid air and I'd just glide in the wrong direction and fall to my death or overshoot the platform I was going for - all in all that happened maybe a handful of times so it's not a huge deal.

I'm really just waiting for the Bloody Palace DLC because replaying the game is alright but I honestly just want to fight baddies in an arena at this point because the combat is a ton of fun. Also REALLY curious how Vergil will play in this iteration. I liked the look of all his attacks and best of all, he has white hair from the very start.

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kpaadet

It was one of the things that turned me off in the demo, platforming in DMC have always been awful dont know why Ninja Theory thought it needed more.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BoOzak

The only part I found the platforming tedious was where insta-death flames would appear and kill me, It was also kind of frustrating when they made you pull objects mid-air. But yeah I could see that stuff becoming repetitive on multiple playthroughs. At least there isnt any backtracking or puzzles like in prior DMC games.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Quarters

I enjoyed the platforming in this way more than the original games. The crappy camera in those made the sequences a righteous pain.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By spankingaddict

@Nettacki said:

@spankingaddict said:

No , I don't think everybody should think it's flawless . Its just that some of the stuff people point out are actually seem made up . That or there dissecting the the game WAY TOO MUCH . Even before releasing , people everywhere were picking apart the game and making a big deal out of which ended up being nothing .

This game isn't perfect , but it's pretty darn close . IMO

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By spankingaddict

@BoOzak said:

At least there isnt any backtracking or puzzles like in prior DMC games.

GOD , YES ! That is a big reason why I think it's the best in the series , no backtracking . Although you do that once I believe .

I wouldn't have complained if they would've thrown in a couple more well done puzzles ...

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By vortextk

Platforming sections here beat any of the roaming sections I've played in the other dmc games, which are slow plods around a structure solving a bad puzzle.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By spankingaddict

Sorry for going off topic . I think the platforming is solid and doesn't really get old , but I guess I can see why some think it's a bit repetitive .

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MikeGosot

I don't like the platforming on this one. I actually prefer backtracking than this. The combat is great, but holy shit, those platforming sections are boring as fuck.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By zenmastah

Yeah, that disco level in particular was tedious as fuck.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By Sooty

@spankingaddict said:

It's not an imaginary flaw to believe it's not as good as DMC3, because it isn't.

Not to say it's bad, no games in this genre can live up to that game and hell they probably never will as nostalgia no doubt plays a part, still that game is amazing.

I don't really think it's as good as DMC4 either, well, at least until DMC4 starts the backtracking business.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By spankingaddict

@Sooty: Yeah , I love the first half of DMC4 . DMC3 is pretty freaking awesome , I just think DmC has the best overall package .

What you think about the platforming ? For the sake of being on topic :D

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Crysack

@spankingaddict said:

@Nettacki said:

@spankingaddict said:

No , I don't think everybody should think it's flawless . Its just that some of the stuff people point out are actually seem made up .

This is an unfair statement. I have seen very few complaints about this game that I would consider to be 'made up'. Complaints about Dante's new appearance and character are one thing, but the criticism of this latest game's difficulty, its over-reliance on platforming, the fact that all of its boss fights are just gimmicks with no real challenge, the fact that its overall challenge is disappointingly non-existent and the fact that the combat feels quite shallow compared to previous iterations (I mean, jump canceling is actually fundamentally broken in this game - probably because it was a peculiarity of the MT Framework engine in the first place) are another.

There are things I like about it. The visuals are great, and I like that they've actually attempted to create a story this time around - as much as I don't give two shits about stories in action games and this one isn't one to really get excited about. I also enjoy some of the new additions to the combat like the two types of grapples. The game itself is a solid action game that I personally enjoy playing more than the likes of GoW, but it certainly isn't the second coming.

Arebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Arebuckle

This was pretty much my thought as well. It never bothered me that much, but I definitely felt there was too much platforming and not enough fighting. For the first half anyway. At times it felt a little unnecessary and like they were padding it out a little.

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By J12088

@spankingaddict said:

@Nettacki said:

@spankingaddict said:

No , I don't think everybody should think it's flawless . Its just that some of the stuff people point out are actually seem made up . That or there dissecting the the game WAY TOO MUCH . Even before releasing , people everywhere were picking apart the game and making a big deal out of which ended up being nothing .

This game isn't perfect , but it's pretty darn close . IMO

The loading times are not made up or an imaginary flaw. They can be 5 seconds, 10 seconds or 30 seconds it doesn't matter in an action game it breaks up the flow. So does the platforming. The platforming is not the fun part of this game the combat is. Theyve gone through the effort of making this combat system and ranking system and then put loading screens and platforming in the way of it. It's like they tried to do there own thing but stay true to the DMC formula and as a result you've got this bastard game that's not living up to it's potential - potential that's clearly there.

The old developers got it. They understood it's about the combat. That's why the backtracking really wasn't a huge issue. Ninja gaiden is another game that got it. It was never about the story or the world it was the combat.

DMC isn't a bad game but it aint a great game either.

El_Galant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By El_Galant

@ThePaleKing said:

'One of the issues I had with DmC was how clear cut the "fighting sections" and "platforming" sections were.'

ABSOLUTELY...I prefer a different type of traversal... Seems like Santa Monica Studios ( God of War ) is prob the best developer/publisher that can push out a balanced level design sometimes in an action game. I did like Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2 a lot, even with the somewhat iffy story.

El_Galant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By El_Galant

@MikeGosot said:

I don't like the platforming on this one. I actually prefer backtracking than this. The combat is great, but holy shit, those platforming sections are boring as fuck.

After jump number one thousand and forty-three I kept hearing the Super Mario jump sound in my head every time....it really diluted the experience for me.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Sanious

@J12088 said:

Yup. Lack of bosses, lack of enemies and far too many cutscenes that you can't skip over make this a less than brilliant game. Makes replaying it a chore and trying to SSS rank everything even more of a chore.

I guess they should keep making you fight the same bosses over and over to make you feel like you're actually fighting a variety of bosses.

I didn't find the platforming to be a problem and I think on harder difficulties it does not outweigh the combat really.

Only real problem I have when it comes to "cut scenes" is parts that should be cut scenes but aren't and DmC isn't the only guilty party when it comes to this. I do not like walking around slower than usual just to hear a dialogue part, it is utterly pointless and a waste of my fucking time. Those are the missions I hate replaying the most.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46  Edited By pr1mus

Having just finished it i can say i liked the platforming. It's a combination of the level design and presentation with the fact that it's perfectly competent at what it does. And they use the platforming in some creative ways in some sections of the game.

xMEGADETHxSLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By xMEGADETHxSLY

Yes too much

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ThePaleKing

@Sanious said:

@J12088 said:

I guess they should keep making you fight the same bosses over and over to make you feel like you're actually fighting a variety of bosses.

Or just have a variety of different bosses; just because DMC had you fight the same bosses over and over again doesn't mean this one does, DMC 3 had plenty of different bosses, as did Ninja Gaiden.

LevelUpAdrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By LevelUpAdrian

I'd much rather less of those annoyingly difficult combat sections and more platforming. I guess I'm in the minority on that.

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By J12088

@Sanious said:

@J12088 said:

I didn't find the platforming to be a problem and I think on harder difficulties it does not outweigh the combat really.

Only real problem I have when it comes to "cut scenes" is parts that should be cut scenes but aren't and DmC isn't the only guilty party when it comes to this. I do not like walking around slower than usual just to hear a dialogue part, it is utterly pointless and a waste of my fucking time. Those are the missions I hate replaying the most.

Never got why fighting a boss again is a problem. The bosses in DMC are fun. Best part of DMC4 was the bosses and fighting them over was never a big deal. They also had more bosses than the new DMC so they never had to repeat them to make it seem like there was more.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.