Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DmC Devil May Cry

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 15, 2013

DmC Devil May Cry is a reboot of the series from developer Ninja Theory, featuring a redesigned Dante and a new take on the franchise's fiction.

What's with all the hate?

• 83 results
    tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By tallTuck94

So the new Dante (or main character if his name is something else) was revealed and he looks like a new age punk but i have to say that he looks so cool and badass but when i look around on the internet all i see is people hating the look. i personally love the series but my one gripe was that i hate old Dante in both the way he acts and how he looked. i'm worried the new guy will act like a dick but i'm glad that he at least looks cool. old Dante just looked like he was trying too hard to be cool  whereas the new guy looks like he found his clothes in a dustbin 

No Caption Provided

anyway my real question is what is it about him that people hate? is it the fact you don't like change? or do you just hate the look?  
    RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By RVonE

The fact that I hate his look has two reasons: 
    1. it is a blatant self-insert by the producer (or was it the director) of the game--that guy has the same douchy hair as the new Dante; 
    2. and this is key: Dante now looks like he cuts himself more than he cuts his enemies.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By HandsomeDead

It's a pointless change to a boring franchise that's upsetting the fanboys who would rather have the vaguely feminine hot guy rather than the vaguely masculine hot guy.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By natetodamax

Because he looks like an emo emohead

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By ch13696

No one likes change. Here's a couple of examples. Diablo III and Infamous 2. For me, I accept it. This needs to happen to a long running game that needs a reboot. As for Infamous 2, I don't know why they tried to change it. It didn't need to change.

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tallTuck94
    @natetodamax: he looks way more punk than emo, if he was emo than all he would do is cry
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By august

Basically a bunch of weaboo teenagers don't know the difference between punk and Twilight.

zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By zagzagovich

I don't realy care about the look but I hope the attitude is the same. I'm really surprised to see people complain about it in the earlier games. The game is called Davil May Cry. You know like the "devil may care attitude" which describes the reckless and cocky attitude of Dante as a character and his ridiculous fighting style. It may be stupid and akin to a "bad dude" character from a cheesy 90's kids film but it's is an inherit part of the game and I kind of like it for it. Also I hope they'll do something more combat oriented and linear like Bayonetta because the exploration and platforming shit in 4 was terrible.

PS3RG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PS3RG

People LOVE to hate.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By KaosAngel

Fake Dante looks like a loser and kinda gay.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Meh. The only people who care are the people who liked Dante to begin with. But he is and always has been, super boring. 

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By august
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Fake Dante looks like a loser and kinda gay. "
    God knows there's nothing more straight than fluffy white hair and a red trenchcoat.
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#13  Edited By Jazz

Couldn't care less how he looks...but the people (Ninja Theory) making the game made Heavenly Sword. 
    If you're not worried about that, you really should be. I don't think italics actually emphasises that enough.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By rjaylee
    @august said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    God knows there's nothing more straight than fluffy white hair and a red trenchcoat. "

Quoted for truth. Also, it's already been said that this is a look back at Dante's past, including how his hair turned white. That being said, why is everyone just now calling the new Dante emo and douchey? I don't know about you guys, but Dante has always had this asshole sort of motif in his character.
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By august
    @Jazz said:
    " Couldn't care less how he looks...but the people (Ninja Theory) making the game made Heavenly Sword. 
    If you're not worried about that, you really should be. I don't think italics actually emphasises that enough. "
    Yeah, my hopes aren't too high for the actual gameplay. Depends on how Journey to the West turns out I guess.
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jazz
    @heatDrive88 said:
    " @august said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    God knows there's nothing more straight than fluffy white hair and a red trenchcoat. "
    Quoted for truth. Also, it's already been said that this is a look back at Dante's past, including how his hair turned white. That being said, why is everyone just now calling the new Dante emo and douchey? I don't know about you guys, but Dante has always had this asshole sort of motif in his character. "
    From what I understand It's a reboot. Not a look back/prologue. Not Devil May Cry 5. It's a total reboot. 
    Course they may change that after all the pointless bitching about his hair style and voice.....
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#17  Edited By LordAndrew
    @tallTuck94 said:
    " @natetodamax: he looks way more punk than emo, if he was emo than all he would do is cry "
    Just wait. We'll see more of this new crying mechanic later.
    rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By rjaylee
    @Jazz:
    Hmm...I read a thing on Kotaku that interviewed some of the guys who were conceptualizing the new look and what not. Let me re-read that, maybe I read something wrong.
    Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Toxin066

I believe KaosAngel wrote a pretty good blog about what's wrong with the new Dante. From the look to it's place in DMC canon, the thing just doesn't seem right - yet.  Maybe Dante will go the way of Cole and get aesthetically changed after all the internet hooplah.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jazz
    @august said:
    " @Jazz said:
    " Couldn't care less how he looks...but the people (Ninja Theory) making the game made Heavenly Sword. 
    If you're not worried about that, you really should be. I don't think italics actually emphasises that enough. "
    Yeah, my hopes aren't too high for the actual gameplay. Depends on how Journey to the West turns out I guess. "
    After playing the demo they really have a handle on cinematic camera effects and some nice set pieces...combat and character design on the other hand was beyond pedestrian. 
    rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By rjaylee
    rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rjaylee

To quote the article...  

The final result is a Dante who is meant to have, like the game, a bit of a punk ethic. Jones promises that Dante's new look isn't arbitrary. There is reasoning, a story behind why the young Dante looks so different than his older self. 

When pressed for details about the story, Jones was coy. 

"There's a lot of Earth still moving under the story, " he said. "It took us a year to deal with character design. We're just getting underway on the story." 

He did say that DmC will be an origin story and explained how that impacted the character design. 

"Part of the ethos of a reboot or retelling of an origin story is to go back and find out why certain totems of a franchise exist," Jones said, talking about Dante's famously white hair. "We want to tell those elements of the story."    

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MikkaQ

Because Heavenly Sword was bland as fuck, and I'm not looking forward to the gameplay. 

As for the look? Whatever, Dante was always looked like a complete fruit, I can't see how this is out of character. 

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tallTuck94

although heavenly sword was bland their latest game enslaved looks awesome so i'm looking forward to their take on devil may cry gameplay 
    as for the story the way i see it is that this isn't old Dante's origin it's just the new Dante's origin , or at least i hope so

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By Catolf

I just played the demo for JttW and I enjoyed it, a LOT I think NT will do the Reboot right,

@heatDrive88: Ah I see, nice that they are going to be explaining it!

@natetodamax said:

" Because he looks like an emo emohead "

Really? It's Punk, not Emo.

@RVonE said:
    " The fact that I hate his look has two reasons: 1. it is a blatant self-insert by the producer (or was it the director) of the game--that guy has the same douchy hair as the new Dante; 2. and this is key: Dante now looks like he cuts himself more than he cuts his enemies. "

Get off of it alright, your hating it because their hair is similar? That's mature. Also, it's PUNK not EMO.. good god.

@august said:
    " @KaosAngel said:

Quoted because once again, this man speaks the truth.
    RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RVonE
    @Catolf:
    I don't see why I should "get off it". I dislike the new Dante's look and I explained to you why I dislike it. You can disagree with my view point but, in return, so can I with yours.
    Oh and punk is not clearly distinct from emo. Not that that matters--Dante still looks like he will SS combo his wrists with a razor blade--but you might want to check up on the history of punk rock.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BraveToaster

His new look isn't "cool", it looks like crap. He looked cooler without the black hair.  

I don't mind change, as long as it's for the good.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Catolf
    @RVonE said:
    " @Catolf: I don't see why I should "get off it". I dislike the new Dante's look and I explained to you why I dislike it. You can disagree with my view point but, in return, so can I with yours.Oh and punk is not clearly distinct from emo. Not that that matters--Dante still looks like he will SS combo his wrists with a razor blade--but you might want to check up on the history of punk rock. "
    How do you suppose that Punk is not clearly distinct? You would sit and call Billy Idol emo?
    Seems like everyone is just upset that Dante is no longer a bishi anime character.
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Remember when war changed!? 
     Snake had to fix that shit. 

On to a serious note.  I think people would stop complaining or at least bring the list of complaints down if his name isn't Dante.   

Calling either version of Dante gay really confuses me.  Old Dante is incredibly Japanese in fashion and personality.  New Dante is trying to be really western.  Why are they gay?

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FunExplosions

Played every DMC. Love the series.  

I like the new Dante.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @tallTuck94

Firstly he looks nothing like Dante.
    Secondly he looks like a fucking wuss, the old Dante was much more if a badass.
    RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RVonE
    @Catolf said:
    " @RVonE said:
    " @Catolf: I don't see why I should "get off it". I dislike the new Dante's look and I explained to you why I dislike it. You can disagree with my view point but, in return, so can I with yours.Oh and punk is not clearly distinct from emo. Not that that matters--Dante still looks like he will SS combo his wrists with a razor blade--but you might want to check up on the history of punk rock. "
    How do you suppose that Punk is not clearly distinct? You would sit and call Billy Idol emo? Seems like everyone is just upset that Dante is no longer a bishi anime character. "

My statement that punk is not clearly distinct from emo does not translate to me calling Billy Idol emo. 
    Also, I'm not against a redesign. While I liked DMC4, I do feel the series has gotten stale and reached its peak with DMC3. It's good to have it changed up. However, like I stated and explained on the first page of this thread, I do not like this particular redesign of the main character at all.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Im annoyed the Dev of Ninja Theory is modeling the new Dante after himself. 

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Personally, I don't mind the new design.  I think it's a lot more interesting than the bland, white spikey haired, Japanese character that we had in the previous games, which was frankly generic.

That being said, I'm not a fan of DMC and I can see the similarties between this and the inFamous situation, where they radically redesigned Cole into basically a totally different character.  Although he was a fairly standard, shaved head, western character, I liked him, changing him was just wrong.  So I've got to side with the fans on this one, especially because of how blatently the producer has dropped himself into the game.  

Making a whole new character here would be fine.. Just as it would have been for inFamous.  But I don't see why established characters that are still new and/or popular need to be so drastically changed.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By OldGuy
    @Catolf said:
    " @RVonE said:
    How do you suppose that Punk is not clearly distinct? You would sit and call Billy Idol emo? Seems like everyone is just upset that Dante is no longer a bishi anime character. "
    Hold it! Whilst Billy Idol was not emo the inference here is that he was (or is) punk. Clearly you are INSANE! Billy Idol was/is and always will be a preening poptart. (granted harder "rocking" than your average pop star, but a pop star nontheless).

Ramones? Punk. Sex Pistols? Punk (sure, they were as manufactured as The Monkees, but they were punk). The Clash? Punk (with a rapid morphing into some sort of reggae/power pop/rock kind of thing before they morphed again into a pop band). Iggy Pop? Punk. Nirvana? Punk (grunge is just another name for punk - it comes around every once in a while to try to counter the excesses of studio production attempting to make real rock and roll into mush. In the late 60's it was Iggy and others attacking the wall of sound with Garage. In the 70's it was Punk attacking Disco and ELO. in the 90's it was Grunge. Cycle of life, people).

There, I feel better now :-P
    thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By thegoldencat7

Dude looks like a lady.

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By tallTuck94
    @NekuSakuraba: he doesn't look like a wuss he looks bloody crazy and unhinged and thats badass 
    old dante just seemed to be trying to be badass and thats not cool 
    new dante is western badass 
    old dante is anime badass and thats just not badass 
    wow thats alot of badasses
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @tallTuck94 said:
    " @NekuSakuraba: he doesn't look like a wuss he looks bloody crazy and unhinged and thats badass old dante just seemed to be trying to be badass and thats not cool new dante is western badass old dante is anime badass and thats just not badass wow thats alot of badasses "
    New Dante is a fucking pussy, old Dante was witty, funny and badass.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I don't give a fuck as long as it is fun.

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By tallTuck94
    @NekuSakuraba: stephen fry is both witty and funny 
    i never laughed once at dante in any of those games 
    and as for him being a badass your just wrong
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @tallTuck94 said:
    " @NekuSakuraba: stephen fry is both witty and funny i never laughed once at dante in any of those games and as for him being a badass your just wrong "
    Japanese Badass is different than American Badass.  Just because you don't think he's badass doesn't mean he isn't.
    tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By tallTuck94
    @SethPhotopoulos: i'm english, our badass is way different than both japanese badass and american badass, they are both very similar as their trying to be badasses
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By apathylad

I'm not a fan of the look, but I'll probably get over that. What I won't get over is that I'm hoping the game won't play like Heavenly Sword. >_<

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @tallTuck94: Sure but because you don't think that old Dante wasn't badass doesn't mean he wasn't  That goes for the people bitching about new Dante too.  He's not badass to a lot of people and old Dante isn't badass to a lot of people but that doesn't mean they aren't in their own way.  Saying that one or the other is wrong is closed minded.
    Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By Vonocourt

I don't like his coat or his little poof of hair thing, reminds of some douchebag I used to know. Other than that he's no different than DMC3's Dante to me, which people bitch about him when he was first revealed. Remember "Man-bra" anyone?

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Catolf
    @OldGuy:  You wouldn't call him punk? I defiantly wouldn't call him pop, unless your suggesting that he is Avril Levine (sp?) Punk, which was basically and is, faux punk. I have never, EVER heard anyone call Billy idol pop.. never.
    tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By tallTuck94
    @SethPhotopoulos: although i may have detoured my main gripe with the complainers is that fact they aren't open to change 
    did they really get that attached to a character like dante?
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @tallTuck94 said:
    " @SethPhotopoulos: although i may have detoured my main grip with the complainers is that fact they aren't open to change did they really get that attached to a character like dante? "
    Yeah.  He was the face of the series so people getting upset is understandable.  The fact that DMC3 Dante is a character in MVC3 unless they changed that is an indicator that this series' Dante will run along side of the old series and not replace him so they may be overstepping it a little with their anger.  If this character wasn't called Dante not as many people would've cared and have been more skeptical of the gameplay.
    Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Illmatic

I don't see the change as that bad. What surprises me more is that people actually really liked the old Dante. Old Dante seemed pretty douchey to me.

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By tallTuck94
    @SethPhotopoulos: yeah i do admit that they should've named him differently but the old dante isn't exactly an intresting character, even in dmc4 i preferred nero cause he was coming from some weird society 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.