Do you believe that dolphins are sapient?

Avatar image for lightrain
#1 Posted by LightRain (194 posts) -
Avatar image for lightrain
#2 Posted by LightRain (194 posts) -

Scientists claim that dolphins are sapient and possibly even sentient, and that they should be considered "non-human persons," in some countries dolphins are even considered equals to humans. Do you believe dolphins to be sapient or sentient?

Avatar image for karlpilkington
#3 Posted by KarlPilkington (2810 posts) -
@LightRain said:
" in some countries dolphins are even considered equals to humans. "
Yeah dolphins from those countries really get pissed off with our "No dolphins in our restaurants" attitude when they go on vacation.
Avatar image for three0nefive
#4 Posted by Three0neFive (2380 posts) -

if dolphins are so smart, why do they swim in their own shit?

Avatar image for littlebigjono
#5 Posted by LittleBigJono (291 posts) -
@Three0neFive said:
" if dolphins are so smart, why do they swim in their own shit? "
To keep up appearances, they don't want us to know they're sapient ;)
Avatar image for bravetoaster
#6 Posted by BraveToaster (12636 posts) -

Are you replacing Astrotriforce or something?

Avatar image for mattyftm
#7 Posted by MattyFTM (14804 posts) -

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Moderator
Avatar image for keyhunter
#8 Posted by keyhunter (3208 posts) -

Dolphins are useless. All they can do is swim and eat and shit. We should be eating them.

Avatar image for lightrain
#9 Posted by LightRain (194 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" So long, and thanks for all the fish. "
So sad that it should come to this.
Avatar image for gamb1t
#10 Posted by gamb1t (1011 posts) -
@Three0neFive said:
" if dolphins are so smart, why do they swim in their own shit? "
Dont know if you were trying to be funny or smart?
Avatar image for lightrain
#11 Posted by LightRain (194 posts) -
@gamb1t said:
" @Three0neFive said:
" if dolphins are so smart, why do they swim in their own shit? "
Dont know if you were trying to be funny or smart? "
> Trying
Avatar image for beej
#12 Posted by beej (1675 posts) -
@keyhunter said:
" Dolphins are useless. All they can do is swim and eat and shit. We should be eating them. "
That's right, because things only have a value insofar as they are useful to humans.  
Avatar image for superfusion
#13 Posted by SuperFusion (97 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" So long, and thanks for all the fish. "
We shall realize once we caught the last fish, that we cannot eat money.
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
#14 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6651 posts) -
@beej said:
" @keyhunter said:
" Dolphins are useless. All they can do is swim and eat and shit. We should be eating them. "
That's right, because things only have a value insofar as they are useful to humans.   "
In his defense, they are delicious.
Avatar image for fancysoapsman
#15 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5919 posts) -

Fuck dolphins

Avatar image for alternate
#16 Posted by alternate (2819 posts) -

If true we should launch a pre-emptive strike and wipe them out.

Avatar image for funexplosions
#17 Posted by FunExplosions (5534 posts) -

I won't be impressed until they can play video games and assassinate presidents.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
#18 Posted by captain_clayman (3349 posts) -

well if they are they havent done a very good job at showing it.  they just kinda swim around all day and dont do anything interesting.

Avatar image for mordukai
#19 Posted by mordukai (8481 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" So long, and thanks for all the fish. "
Damn it Matt. I was going to post the same. Now all I have left is this fancy digital watch. 
Avatar image for frankcanada97
#20 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4186 posts) -

I think dolphins are the only animals who have recreational sex.

Avatar image for doctorchimp
#21 Posted by Doctorchimp (4186 posts) -
@LightRain said:
" Scientists claim that dolphins are sapient and possibly even sentient, and that they should be considered "non-human persons," in some countries dolphins are even considered equals to humans. Do you believe dolphins to be sapient or sentient? "
So do you have actual scientist claims or just the same old marine biologist that got laughed out of the university for saying Flipper could understand Citizen Kane? 
 
Do I think dolphins are some of the smarter animals around? Sure. Should we protect them from the crazy whalers and Japanese? Sure. Are they approaching our level of understanding? Not by a long shot.
 
I mean jesus their brain is only the size of a dog, the reason why it looks bigger and why "scientists" will say it weighs as much as a human brain is because they didn't account for all the fat around the brain that keeps it insulated.
Avatar image for professoress
#22 Posted by ProfessorEss (7957 posts) -
@captain_clayman said:
...they just kinda swim around all day and dont do anything interesting. "
Meanwhile I'm here doing housework.
So, who's the smart ones again? :P
Avatar image for beachthunder
#23 Posted by BeachThunder (14578 posts) -

I am a dolphin and what is this?

Avatar image for doctorchimp
#24 Edited by Doctorchimp (4186 posts) -
@FrankCanada97 said:

" I think dolphins are the only animals who have recreational sex. "

Bonobos, chimps, and your dog do it too. That's another myth crazy dolphin rights groups love spreading around like it makes the dolphin different.
 
No animal has sex for offspring. They have sex because it's rewarding to the brain.
 
Hell they held an experiment to teach a group of chimps the value of currency, where they were conditioned to trade money for food.
 
In a week the females would only allow the other chimps to have sex with it after dropping currency.
 
 EDIT: Wow I misspoke, they weren't even chimps, they were just regular ass monkeys. Capuchins...
 
 http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/05/magazine/05FREAK.html?_r=1&ei=5090&en=af2d9755a2c32ba8&ex=1275624000&adxnnl=1&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1118160068-1EGJuan4FJH1LooxHYd5/g
Avatar image for euandewar
#25 Posted by EuanDewar (5160 posts) -

 
For reference. 
 
  

  

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
#26 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5777 posts) -
@captain_clayman said:
" well if they are they havent done a very good job at showing it.  they just kinda swim around all day and dont do anything interesting. "
Threesomes.
Avatar image for keyhunter
#27 Posted by keyhunter (3208 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:
" @beej said:
" @keyhunter said:
" Dolphins are useless. All they can do is swim and eat and shit. We should be eating them. "
That's right, because things only have a value insofar as they are useful to humans.   "
In his defense, they are delicious. "
Why else would the Japanese murder millions of them every year? They must be on to something.
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
#28 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5777 posts) -
@Doctorchimp: You have some anti-dolphin thing going on don't you.
Avatar image for doctorchimp
#29 Posted by Doctorchimp (4186 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" @Doctorchimp: You have some anti-dolphin thing going on don't you. "
Fuck Seaworld.
Avatar image for delta_ass
#30 Edited by delta_ass (3807 posts) -

Fuck dolphin and whale!

Avatar image for teh_pwnzorer
#31 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1493 posts) -

Most humans aren't sapient.

Avatar image for frankcanada97
#32 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4186 posts) -
@Doctorchimp: Curse those dolphin rights groups!
Avatar image for doctorchimp
#33 Edited by Doctorchimp (4186 posts) -
@FrankCanada97 said:

" @Doctorchimp: Curse those dolphin rights groups! "

No, dolphins have rights for sure. I think the world would be a better place with a firmer control on all this fishing business and the ocean definitely needs help.
 
What I don't like is the scientific fraud that goes on.
 
EDIT: My favorite animal is the shark....so I might be biased...
Avatar image for lightrain
#34 Posted by LightRain (194 posts) -
@Doctorchimp said:

" @LightRain said:

" Scientists claim that dolphins are sapient and possibly even sentient, and that they should be considered "non-human persons," in some countries dolphins are even considered equals to humans. Do you believe dolphins to be sapient or sentient? "
So do you have actual scientist claims or just the same old marine biologist that got laughed out of the university for saying Flipper could understand Citizen Kane?   Do I think dolphins are some of the smarter animals around? Sure. Should we protect them from the crazy whalers and Japanese? Sure. Are they approaching our level of understanding? Not by a long shot. I mean jesus their brain is only the size of a dog, the reason why it looks bigger and why "scientists" will say it weighs as much as a human brain is because they didn't account for all the fat around the brain that keeps it insulated. "
  http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/article6973994.ece

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.