Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Don Mattrick

Person » credited in 70 games

Don Mattrick is the former Chief Executive Officer of social games developer Zynga and former President of Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft.

Report: Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft for...Zynga? [UPDATE: It's Official]

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

This is getting weird.

Getting? It's been weird for a couple weeks now.

SpoogeMcduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Is it just me or does he have the kind of face that just makes you want to punch him?

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

I'm sure I'll continue to not care about Zynga.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This does not inspire confidence in the Xbox one

Novis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Microsoft. STOP IT! I need a break from your crazy shit. STOP WITH THE CRAZY SHIT!

HellknightLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#206  Edited By HellknightLeon

I bet he took some of the fall for all the shit going on and told people that he would move on to help take the brunt of the pain. Why Zinga... he is just telling the world that he wants to die and never work on game again. Right?

TPoppaPuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

It makes sense really. It's been a while since Zynga pissed everyone off and Mattrick has been in the zone for like the last month. His first press release will be a retroactive $10/month subscription to Farmville.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#208  Edited By Hailinel

Probably the best part of this scenario is that Mark Pincus is no longer CEO of Zynga. The company may be a sinking ship, but it was Pincus's incompetence that got them there. I'd say that Mattrick is a step up in that regard.

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Ahahahahahahaahahahahhahahahaahahahahah

Talk about a step down

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

@paisan13 said:

I never liked Don, but whats for sure is that he's not to blame for Microsoft's problems, he's just a spokesperson.

Hes the COO man, thats more than a spokesman, hes the guy thats second in command, that means all decisions come through him.

MindChamber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He should part his hair on the left side now, in honor of the change.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what to think about this. I kind of am glad that he's gone, but apparently he was very good behind the scenes. Also, if he did truly create the original idea of the X1, then he's pretty forward thinking. I just think that that thinking was too ahead of its time. It was something that needed to be rolled out slowly over the course of a few years because, as the embracing of the PS4 shows, the public is not ready for a Steam-like console.

I hope he is successful at Zynga. It sucks, but all this negative backlash probably forced him to leave MS.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

He's found a company that appreciates the subtleties of being online all the time.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#214  Edited By kindgineer

It'll be interesting to see where this goes, and whether or not it was a good move on his part. One thing is for sure, I would play FarmVille 2 more if it was on the iOS marketplace. Kind of irks me that its not there already.

Actually, now that I think about it, screw FarmVille. Give me CoasterVille on my iPad so I can stop using their piece of shit Java platform. Still confuses me why I can run large-scale games at 60fps+, but a Facebook Java/Flash game lags like a piece of crap.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

"Zynga has redefined entertainment and brought social gaming to the mainstream"

SOCIAL GAMING HAS ALWAYS BEEN PART OF THE MAINSTREAM. SOCIAL GAMING IS MAINSTREAM.

Pardon me.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if Microsoft calls J Allard about this newly opened position, he would be like: "Nah, I'm good. Thanks."

Plipster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if Microsoft calls J Allard about this newly opened position, he would be like: "Nah, I'm good. Thanks."

I still look forward to the day where Microsoft has a press conference and it opens with J Allard riding in on a white horse...that's riding a jet-ski....that's on a snowboard.

Let me keep my dream alive.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By EXTomar

@plipster said:

@alexandersheen said:

I still look forward to the day where Microsoft has a press conference and it opens with J Allard riding in on a white horse...that's riding a jet-ski....that's on a snowboard.

Think of it this way: Allard is riding a white horse, riding a jet-ski on a snowboard right now. Why would he need Microsoft?

Plipster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

@plipster said:

@alexandersheen said:

Think of it this way: Allard is riding a white horse, riding a jet-ski on a snowboard right now. Why would he need Microsoft?

Because it doesn't make sense.

He needs a giant battleship that has a one to one scale replica of Swiss Alps on it for all that to snowboard down, anything less would be half-assing it.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

As much as I really, really dislike Don Mattrick, I'm now 100% sure that I have no idea what XONE is beyond "a more powerful 360."

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Microsoft probably asked him to leave after the Xbone debacle. It's a horrible design, horrible features, and alienated the existing 360 fan base. I'm sort of hoping Microsoft will scrap it and rework something that makes sense for next year.

randombattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Microsoft probably asked him to leave after the Xbone debacle. It's a horrible design, horrible features, and alienated the existing 360 fan base. I'm sort of hoping Microsoft will scrap it and rework something that makes sense for next year.

There is zero chance that this wasn't in response to the Xbone. From his insults to the military crowd to the panning of the "future" it all had to fall on his shoulders. He was the public head for the xbone and I don't doubt it was similar internally. However It's far too late for that now. They waited way too long to announce it to the public that it's too late to backpedal because of reactions. You can tell this by their plan to rip out all of the online guts from the xbone with out replacing it with anything new. They gambled till the last minute on TV and the CLOUD but chickened out way too late to do anything meaningful to the xbone. Now it's too late for them to push it because if they do they basically hand everything to Sony.

Do you really think they could survive all this backlash and afford skipping out on a year of releases? They have to have something out by holiday or they are boned.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lind_l_taylor said:

There is zero chance that this wasn't in response to the Xbone. From his insults to the military crowd to the panning of the "future" it all had to fall on his shoulders. He was the public head for the xbone and I don't doubt it was similar internally. However It's far too late for that now. They waited way too long to announce it to the public that it's too late to backpedal because of reactions. You can tell this by their plan to rip out all of the online guts from the xbone with out replacing it with anything new. They gambled till the last minute on TV and the CLOUD but chickened out way too late to do anything meaningful to the xbone. Now it's too late for them to push it because if they do they basically hand everything to Sony.

Do you really think they could survive all this backlash and afford skipping out on a year of releases? They have to have something out by holiday or they are boned.

So you think they will snip PS4 release date?

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So why is everyone freaking out Ballmer took over?

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mattrick is the picture of entitlement.

Icthion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heres my thoughts: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

Mattrick is one of the first Canadians I've disliked in a while.

And this explains a lot of his recent comments: http://www.businessinsider.com/don-mattrick-zynga-ceo-2013-7

That makes it seems hes super detached from the average person who buys video games.

And I still do not get why people are not happy with Ballmer. They need a business man to make decisions on what it said and what info is put out. Not some idiot who spouts out fake pity for the military or people with limited internet.

Or better yet someone who knows when NOT TO SAY ANYTHING.

digital_sin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

jump ship!

Oddballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for knucklesbuckaroo
    Knucklesbuckaroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yaaaa.... lets go from Microsoft to Zanga. I guess once a thief always a thief.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.