Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Donkey Kong 64

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 31, 1999

Enjoy barrel blasting, special powers, and saving the Kongs from King K. Rool in the Nintendo 64 installment of the Donkey Kong series.

Just bought this on WiiU VC..and maaaaaaaaan that camera !

sparkysanxion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So. I had DK64 back in the day on my N64, and it's one of the first games in the WiiU's N64 library (alongside Mario 64).

Seeing as though I never "finished" it back then, I thought I'd grab it, and have a play, see if I can at least get to the end of the story. I remember back then getting hung up unlocking the retro DK game within the game, and trying to do whatever you have to do to unlock some secret stuff when you beat that....and then gave up.

But blimey! The game camera is just terrible. I don't remember it being this annoying when I played it years ago, but hey. It's still feels fairly fun in general I guess.

One thing that I did find annoying about this VC release is the fact that, even though the game allows you to set the screen size to widescreen in it's internal options, it seems the VC wrapper is always forcing 4:3...so that's a bit pointless.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

N64 camera control is generally pretty brutal. It also doesn't map very well to modern controllers so I find it hard to play those games on anything other than the original controller.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

@hunter5024: Unless they're totally remade like the XBLA Banjo rereleases. In those versions they redid the camera entirely and made it control like you'd expect. Also they uprezzed it in those versions.

I found that for DK64 the biggest problem with control mapping is that you can accidentally hit up on the right stick like that. I suggest the following control scheme.

RZ is Z.
    LZ is R.
    B is A.
    Y is B.

X is C Up
    A is C Down
    L is C Right
    R is C Left
    Minus is also C Left

X makes most sense for C Up because XBLA BK did it that way. A for down follows then. Next the shoulders go to left/right but I reverse them because the camera is inversed. Plus RZ+L is more comfortable for grenades. Finally Minus being C Left makes pulling a gun (RZ + Minus) an easy combo.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You picked a bad game to play.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

That game is fun until you unlock all of the Kongs. And then there will be a stream of purple bananas, with two yellow ones in the middle, and then some more purple ones, and then a couple red ones, and I hope you remember where they are because running back and forth sure is a pain in the ass!

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By agentboolen

@sparkysanxion: beat that game on the n64 and only urge to beat it again is just to play what I remember being a flawless version of the original arcade game... But of course not even the 1st dk game can get me to relive this game again. Mame will have to do (damn sound emulation sucks for it on Mame).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.